Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Be careful on Erie Street and 10th
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GlitterQueen wrote:
people who drive don't all try to run people down. I let people cross when they are in the cross walk.

I guess we are not talking about you, then. So if not all drivers try to run people down what would you say would be an acceptable percentage?

Quote:

people in jc are way to obsessed with pedestrian's rights. use common sense and you will not get hit by a car.

This is not true as I and others have related. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it isn't happening on a regular basis. So far I have not been hit only because I have taken evasive action while on a crossing when a careless, aggressive or ignorant driver has either not seen me or chosen to intimidate because they don't know the laws. Most of these drivers are driving well in excess of 25mph on residential streets.

But yes, not all drivers are doing it. Happy?

Posted on: 2010/7/8 12:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/14 18:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You're right to think that drivers would actually stop at a flashing red light or a stop sign is completely ridiculous.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 18:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
OK GQ, I'll remember that as I'm crossing, looking both ways and its my turn to walk but some k*nt steps on the gas and makes a turn zipping past me, missing my literally 3 inches because she's on her f**king cell phone and didnt bother to look for pedestrians, but instead only look for other cars coming from the other direction.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
people who drive don't all try to run people down. I let people cross when they are in the cross walk. there are terrible drivers it is a fact of life. i walk, bike, and drive to work depending on the day and i don't get almost run down. you need to consider what street you are crossing.

people in jc are way to obsessed with pedestrian's rights. use common sense and you will not get hit by a car.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downright wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of people being confused, I think it's a matter of people flat out ignoring the flashing yellow...

Maybe they are impaired somehow...

George Michael Arrested for Driving Car Through a Storefront

Published July 06, 2010 | NewsCore

British pop singer George Michael was arrested over the weekend after crashing his car into a London store, police confirmed Tuesday.

The 47-year-old singer was reportedly traveling back from a gay pride march in central London when his Range Rover crashed into a North London branch of British photo developing store Snappy Snaps, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

"Police were called at approximately 3:35am on Sunday 4 July to reports of a vehicle in collision with a building on Hampstead High Street,? a Metropolitan Police spokesman said Tuesday. "Officers attended and a man in his 40s was arrested on suspicion of being unfit to drive.He was taken to a north London police station and later bailed pending further inquiries. He will appear in court in August.?

The Hampstead store?s manager, Jun Mustafa, said: ?You?re looking at a new shop front definitely -- it was quite badly damaged.?

Michael issued a statement Tuesday as well. "I want to apologize to my fans for screwing up again, and to promise them I'll sort myself out. And to say sorry to everybody else, just for boring them," he said.

The star ended a two-year driving ban last year after he was found slumped at the wheel of his car in May 2007 ?unfit to drive through drugs.?

He was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in Berkshire, southeast England in August 2009 but was later released without charge.

The star?s most famous brush with the law came in 1998 when he was arrested for ?engaging in a lewd act? with an undercover police officer in a toilet in Los Angeles.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
It's funny how so many people get confused at blinking lights. It's extremely basic, and is taught in driver's ed classes and is on the test. Blinking yellow, slow down and be cautious, proceed with caution. Blinking red -- you STOP. How hard is that?

I don't think it's a matter of people being confused, I think it's a matter of people flat out ignoring the flashing yellow. Slowing down is relative, where stopping is absolute.

I was always worried about a car flying down Erie barreling down people eating outside at the embankment restaurant.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's funny how so many people get confused at blinking lights. It's extremely basic, and is taught in driver's ed classes and is on the test. Blinking yellow, slow down and be cautious, proceed with caution. Blinking red -- you STOP. How hard is that?

Posted on: 2010/7/6 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
JC is a mess when it comes to traffic planning, but a stop sign was needed here. That light should be taken down and I have no idea what purpose it was supposed to serve when it was flashing yellow. The amount of money spent putting it up and the electricity used to keep it flashing seemed like a complete waste.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
This is a pretty half-assed way to try and solve a traffic problem. Suddenly change a blinking yellow to blinking red, add a stop sign and call it a day?

We need major changes to the routing, design, and policing of our roadways to improve the safety for all users.

It's nuts out there. Our police and city planners need to step it up.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The reason why this intersection was changed to an All Way Stop is because residents, like me, who live at this intersection. This is a dangerous intersection for pedestrians. Believe it or not people actually live on this street and have to cross it to get to the other side.
But then again I don't expect drivers to care about pedestrians since they don't slow down or stop, or have nearly run me and my neighbors down a few times. When you try to cross the street and cars come at you at crazy speeds and miss you by a few inches because they're so desperate to get to the Tunnel, then maybe you'll understand why this is now an all stop intersection.
If you're a driver and you don't like stop signs or signals, then don't drive on local streets. If you have to drive up local residential streets with lots of pedestrians, then you should expect there to be traffic signals.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Traffic gets backed up really badly on 10th during rush hour. It is also really difficult to go anytime of day because you can't see anything when trying to cross. It makes sense that they changed the light. I really do not understand how people get confused by a flashing red light.

i had to drive down 10th and i didn't understand why it wasn't a flashing red. if people listen to it it will make things safer

Posted on: 2010/7/6 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Not that 1 in 5 JC drivers know what to do at an all way stop either. Most either never take their turn till the intesection clears, or follow the car ahead of them right through the stop without even tapping their brakes.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, noticed that today. Wonder why? It doesn't make sense to have a flashing red on the Erie side, that will just back traffic up some more during rush hour.

Not that it'll matter much, few understood the flashing yellow anyway.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 20:35

Be careful on Erie Street and 10th
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
They put up a stop sign and changed the light to flashing red all directions. I wasn't even paying attention, and didn't even see it until my husband pointed it out. The two cars in front of my went right through the stop sign and the guy behind me looked confused as to why I was stopping.

So anyone driving on 10th, don't assume the people on Erie see you or know to stop. I think everyone is just used to that intersection the way it was. Proceed with caution.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 14:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017