Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New Kansas City style BBQ restaurant. opening tonight!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

i don't know where in KC you have had BBQ, but the meat is never slathered with sauce, the sauce is on the side so you can taste the meat. it is like that everywhere.

Yea... where was the sauce on the side? I didn't get any in my bags and didn't see any containers in the store.

Quote:
also, the shish kabobs (which are clearly on the filipino menu)

What menu! :D

Quote:
never claimed to be smoked, nor kansas city-style.

Never said they were. They were merely overcooked, or from a tough cut of meat.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
i don't know where in KC you have had BBQ, but the meat is never slathered with sauce, the sauce is on the side so you can taste the meat. it is like that everywhere. also, the shish kabobs (which are clearly on the filipino menu) never claimed to be smoked, nor kansas city-style. just to clear some things up and i hope you come back for another pass. the picnic tables will be out this beautiful evening.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'll also add that my roommate who is from Kansas City said "It was ok, but certainly not like any BBQ I've ever had, back home in KC or elsewhere." Personally, I think that calling it KC Style BBQ is disingenuous, since it is anything but. KC style has lots of sauce on it and as I noted, this was very dry.

Huh. When I got the pulled pork, it had lots of sauce on it and was anything but dry.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'll also add that my roommate who is from Kansas City said "It was ok, but certainly not like any BBQ I've ever had, back home in KC or elsewhere." Personally, I think that calling it KC Style BBQ is disingenuous, since it is anything but. KC style has lots of sauce on it and as I noted, this was very dry.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
meh. Got the pulled pork platter with the sweet potatoes and corn bread. Color me nonplussed. The cornbread was by far the best thing.

Pulled pork was good, but kind of dry and after biting a whole peppercorn, I gingerly had to work my way around half a dozen others. The spicy sweet potato mash was pretty bland and didn't have much sweet or spicy flavor to it. The beef kabobs I had were decent, but tough, as if they were overcooked. I also wouldn't have known about them had someone in front of me got some and said something, since they weren't on the menu.

My roommate had the brisket, and basically had the same notion - OK, but dry. His brisket looked like bacon and after looking at it for a sec, just started eating it like jerky. Cleanest. BBQ. Evar.

I'm willing to give the place another try in a few weeks when they've worked their kinks out perhaps, but as of right now, I'll give it a pass.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 18:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 13:48
From Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
Just stopped by for lunch.
REALLY good pulled pork sandwich with a side of spicy sweet potato mash (also fantastic)!
It definitely seems like they are still getting together from a customer service standpoint, but the food is definitely great.
Worth a trip. I am not sure if they deliver for lunch. They didn't even have a menu....

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pinkydapimp wrote:
anyone know if they deliver during the day for lunch?

Went the other day for lunch, looked like a bunch of deliveries were going out the door.

Got the pulled pork sandwich, really tasty, can't wait to try the dinner items. Great addition to the neighborhood, maybe a little too close to my place ...

Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if they deliver during the day for lunch?

Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
come on a nice day and there are picnic tables and it's BYOB outside on the sidewalk....they are also working on a VIP back section for special dinners....the food is there, the seating and such is a work in progress.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We went last night and thought it was pretty good. I am from TX though so my BBQ standards are pretty high. For Jersey City, it is good food.

They were very nice and made us a platter to sample all the different meats. Unfortunately they were out of the Mac & Cheese.

Definately will go back to grab dinner but wish they had seating. It is more of a catering place that also serves food. The outdoor space is only going to be for special events. Apparently they got robbed two weeks ago so you have to order at the window and are not allowed inside.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Went yesterday. Delicious!
Everyone go!

Posted on: 2010/5/13 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Really great ribs. Quick delivery tonight too!

Posted on: 2010/5/13 0:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/5 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I went here yesterday for dinner, and today for lunch. My observations, as somebody that eats food -

- Delicious ribs and chicken
- Really delicious pulled pork
- Good mac and cheese
- Terrific beans
- Lame coleslaw
- Decent Potato salad
- Terrific sweet potatoes

YMMV, but it kicks ass to have a BBQ window here in the hood. I hope they do well.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that it's nice to be able to bring what you want to drink, and for a fraction of the price.

I do wonder, however, if more licenses were available to local business, if local businesses might have a better chance at success? I've never been in the restaurant business, but isn't it the case that they often make a ton of money off alcohol sales? To the extent selling alcohol would help local restaurants with their bottom line---and hopefully help them stay in business---that seems to me to be another reason for the city (or state?) to stop being stupid about this.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
The liquor license thing is a grandfathered thing..... I was looking into it recently. It sucks and would be nice if it changed. But like someone else said- it's cheaper on your own wallet and you can bring what YOU want!

Posted on: 2010/5/12 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
We stopped in on Sunday and saw the awesome pig. We had them pack a pound of it for us and we brought it home and ate it. Very good, nice skin cracklings. We're excited to have them so close. My SO had a long chat with the owner and the grill master. They are very nice and the grill that reminds me of the large ones we've seen in Argentine. I can't wait to try everything on the menu. I think this place is going to be very popular!

Posted on: 2010/5/12 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
went there today - ordered the Filipino barbecue on a stick and it is Awesome!!! Best I've tasted this side of the hemisphere. sauce is perfect, the meat is tender - he girlls it to perfection just after you order.

and the price? $12 and change for 2 platters consisting of 2 barbecue sticks, black beans, yellow rice and a drink. best deal so far in downtown JC.

will definitely visit this place once a week (even if my jeans become too tight)!

Posted on: 2010/5/11 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
This is my biggest pet peeve about restaurants in Jersey City: if the place isn't at least a bit fancy-schmancy, it's going to be BYOB, at best.

This place is basically just a grill (where I assume they roast the pigs---I presume the smoker is outside somewhere) and a counter. There are no tables to speak of. Right now it looks like it's set up for takeout only and, frankly, it doesn't look like there's enough room to ever do much more than that.

But I agree with your larger point that there needs to be more in the way of liquor license availability around these parts.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is my biggest pet peeve about restaurants in Jersey City: if the place isn't at least a bit fancy-schmancy, it's going to be BYOB, at best. They need to start making more (and cheaper) liquor licenses, stat. Is this currently politcally impossible in NJ? Or is it a Jersey City thing?

Posted on: 2010/5/10 19:19

Re: New Kansas City style BBQ restaurant. NOW OPEN! lunch and dinner.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is a takeout, or eat at tables outside when the weather is nice. There is delivery available, but they are working out kinks....One thing for sure, however, is that the meat is amazing! I think you can BYOB when eating outside....that is, I have seen others bring wine or beer. The demand has been more than first expected and have run out of things, but if this happens, make sure to try other things on the menu as everything is great!

Posted on: 2010/5/10 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
I got takeout last night. While they are getting used to business there were some expected kinks. Out of a couple of things, etc.

But the food: Excellent! Portions: Big. I got the full rack and my wife and I should have split it.

I look forward to hitting this up once a month. Would be nice if there was a place to eat in. Maybe the old sand bar people will be smart and get these guys to do their cooking.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 16:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Just had this delivered.

Had the pulled pork and brisket. It is really EXCELLENT! Highly recommended!

Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I need lunch recommendations!

I'm holed up working this afternoon, but would to have some BBQ delivery.

Has anyone tried the brisket??

Posted on: 2010/5/9 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I went this evening. I'll definitely be going back.

I had the pulled pork platter and a side of mashed sweet potatoes. The pulled pork was very tender and not too fatty. The sauce was very good---definitely a Kansas City sauce as opposed to a North Carolina sauce, but not too sweet and also a little spicy. They serve the pork mixed with some sauce, which is okay with me because I'd have added sauce anyway, but I know some bbq purists will object to that. The sweet potatoes were also very good, but I only got them because they were out of baked beans.

My platter was $10 and I only ate half of it---it easily made two meals for me (an admittedly not-so-big girl). The other half will be tomorrow's lunch.

Next time I think I'll try the ribs (whole rack for $18 and half rack for $9) and the baked beans.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 0:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yes, that's the menu. there will be different items and specials...but they are just beginning super basic for now. what is important is the meat is amazing as are the sauces and the rubs. eventually there will be desserts, collards, etc. they were thinking about a smoked peach cobbler when peaches come into season. yum.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 0:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/10 18:14
From JC Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
They have the lechon (whole pig) right now. It was so delicious - served on banana leaves w/ side of slaw. Not on menu....just ask for it

Posted on: 2010/5/8 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/8 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/27 17:44
From Van Vorst Park Historical District
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone gets a chance to post the Kansas City-style BBQ menu or the menu featuring Filipino cuisine, please do. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2010/5/8 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hesh wrote:
just to clear a few things up....one of the owners are Filipino. there has been Filipino food there for about a year or so...whole pig on the weekends etc...there is a new pitmaster, larry, from kansas city just hired to cook home style BBQ. the menus are separate but you can order from either one. i believe the Filioinos cook a whole pig each weekend....and there will be smoked BBQ all the time now.

Also, being from kansas city myself, the term barbeque gets thrown around loosely, especially around here. to me it means smoking meats, in a smoker...here it seems to mean grilling. there is a huge difference and i hope you come down to see the difference for yourselves!

Sounds good and I'll look to try both menus.

Being from the South, I'm sure you know that each state has regional differences in how sauces are made, but yes you're right, we only consider the use of smoking to be bbq and not just ANY meats, but pork, so it falls off the bone. Kansas city style bbq does use smoking but it's usually beef ribs though pork is also used. Anyway, without getting into a discourse which I've posted here before about the differences in regional bbq we both agree on two things:

*bbq must be smoked

*anything grilled is not bbq but "grilling"

Whatever way you choose to do, bbq or grilling, all that really matters is if you like it, it tastes good and they hopefully have sides of veggies, cobblers and while not likely, brunswick stew, which you would mostly find only in the South.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 16:51
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
just to clear a few things up....one of the owners are Filipino. there has been Filipino food there for about a year or so...whole pig on the weekends etc...there is a new pitmaster, larry, from kansas city just hired to cook home style BBQ. the menus are separate but you can order from either one. i believe the Filioinos cook a whole pig each weekend....and there will be smoked BBQ all the time now.

Also, being from kansas city myself, the term barbeque gets thrown around loosely, especially around here. to me it means smoking meats, in a smoker...here it seems to mean grilling. there is a huge difference and i hope you come down to see the difference for yourselves!

Posted on: 2010/5/8 12:32

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017