Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Friends of Liberty State Park oppose Formula One Grand Prix in Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/2 6:02
Group:
Registered Users
It is nice to know that Amy Cradic the deputy commissioner of the State Department of Environmental Protection in Trenton respects the Friends of Liberty State Park and the legacy of Morris Pesin by communicating with Sam Pesin directly.

This bodes well for the future of LSP for now.

Too bad the unknown Jersey City Tourism Official is seemingly unaware of the Pesin family's contributions to Liberty State Park's founding and preservation efforts. The proposal made by this official started the whole debacle.

Who is this Jersey City Tourism Official? It seems odd that the official is unknown and unnamed in every article about this plan.

It is more odd that this official working on behalf of Jersey City's tourism promotion is so clueless about Liberty State Park that this official would give away our urban oasis to 'deep pockets' Ecclestone and Formula 1 without public input or at least consultation with FOLSP.

Where is the Tourism Official working? Who is the Official?
Since when does Jersey City have a Tourism Official and why doesn't anyone know anything about this person?

Posted on: 2010/5/14 6:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
State DEP rules out race track for Liberty Park so plan for Formula One Grand Prix is dead

Thursday, May 13, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

State officials have put up a big stop sign when it comes to any thoughts of holding a Formula One Grand Prix race at Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

In an e-mail sent to Sam Pesin, president of the Friends of Liberty State Park, Amy Cradic, a deputy commissioner at the state Department of Environmental Protection, stated the agency is "not supporting the race track."

Pesin, whose volunteer group is dedicated to preserving and improving the 600-acre park, was overjoyed.

"Hopefully this fast squashing of a very unpopular plan will send a clear message to pushers of harebrained commercial plans that our treasured family park is off limits," Pesin said.

Earlier the month, The Jersey Journal reported that the director of tourism for Destination Jersey City, a nonprofit run by the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation to promote the city, had compiled a proposal to entice Formula One to hold a Grand Prix race at the park in 2012.

The proposal included the construction of 3.6-mile track at the park.

After the story ran, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy called for Destination Jersey City to withdraw the proposal.

But since the state operates and maintains the park, Pesin and others were concerned the state might give Formula One the green light to hold the race.

Pesin sent DEP Commissioner Bob Martin and Gov. Chris Christie a letter on behalf of the Friends urging the state to reject any proposals for a race track at the park.

He received the e-mail from Cradic after he sent his communication.

"It's great news that the governor and DEP Commissioner (Bob) Martin have the same immediate opinion as Mayor (Jerramiah) Healy that this foolhardy race track plan was totally wrong for Liberty State Park," Pesin said.

Asked for a comment, DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese said the agency hasn't taken a position since no formal application was ever made.

"Unless they (Formula One) put in an application, we're not going to approve it or deny it," Ragonese said.

Formula One officials could not be reached to comment.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
The NJDEP is definitely going to meet with the Formula 1 company about a race track in LSP. We urge DEP to tell them to forget about wrecking LSP and go elsewhere.

Friends of Liberty State Park
Position Statement Opposing Liberty State Park Formula 1 Permanent Race Track

The Friends of Liberty State Park urge Governor Christie and NJDEP Commissioner Bob Martin to be wise protectors of Liberty State Park. It would be totally wrong regarding the true purposes of a free and green urban park behind Lady Liberty to allow the insane, obscene, and destructive Formula 1 Grand Prix permanent race track plan ?on the table?.

When DEP officials soon meet with representatives of this English company owned by Great Britain?s wealthiest person, Formula 1 Grand Prix car racing CEO Bernard Ecclestone, the ?stewards? of our state parks should stand up for one of New Jersey?s and America?s greatest public spaces and firmly say LSP is a special park behind Lady Liberty and Ellis Island and that a permanent race track will never be considered. The Governor should fight for American values by nipping this in the bud so it doesn't become another negative, wasteful fight like against the golf course or waterpark plans.

Let Formula 1 propose building a race track in London?s Hyde Park, in New York?s Central Park, or on the Washington D.C. Mall. Most people worldwide would laugh at anyone pushing such a shameless, insane and repulsive commercial plan for sacred urban open space. Letting a British company arrogantly ruin the inspiring free park behind our national shrines to democracy would betray the spirit of the American Revolution.

LSP?s plans are completed now after decades of the vast majority strongly and repeatedly supporting a peaceful open space park for unstructured recreation activities, and nature trails in the Interior, where nature is making a dramatic recovery from its railroad era.

When Republican Governor Whitman, 15 years ago, rejected the golf course plan, she told the media her reason was ?overwhelming public sentiment?. Governor Christie should realize that an inevitable grassroots statewide battle will ensue and that he?ll have the same choice as Governor Whitman, listen to the voice of The People or destroy LSP.
Former NJDEP Commissioner Scott Weiner stated during the multi-year LSP golf course controversy that ?any proposal for LSP must have a broad public consensus.?

A conservative should see the reality that this is a very wrong use of public land with a highly questionable economic benefit for NJ with nearby NYC attractions, restaurants and hotels. We?ve heard from an enthusiastic Formula 1 follower that the net economic impact of hosting/building a Formula 1 track has been negative except for a few insiders.

This plan threatens LSP?s heart and soul. Building a LSP permanent race track throughout our beloved urban oasis, needed and deserved as an escape from crowded and concrete Hudson County, is the opposite of the essence and spirit of an open space family park. Once a permanent race track is built for an annual Grand Prix weekend, there would be pressure to use it regularly for other admission fee car races and other sporting events.
Other than building a permanent landscape-dominating race track, the Formula 1 and other races would need staging areas for the teams and all their support vehicles, runoff space and grave traps on the outside of every corner, space for spectators, etc.

The loud noise from Formula 1cars or cars in other races would disturb the park?s peacefulness, residents living in nearby neighborhoods, and the park?s varied wildlife. Plus the traffic congestion in neighborhoods and on the turnpike would be terrible.

LSP is a park and not a commercial venue and should only be the location for very periodic and suitable ticketed events such as All Points West or the Red Bull Air Race weekend which leaves no permanent infrastructure in LSP. The Air Race, with its family entertainment, wanted to build a airplane runway in LSP and the DEP rejected the idea. With APW and RBAR, the south, north and western sides of the park are open to traffic but this race track would mean the closure of the park, confiscating it for a private event and violating the Mission Statement of Liberty State Park regarding public access.

The Friends thanks JC Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who reviewed his clueless tourism official?s proposal and withdrew it, stating he?d only support ?appropriate plans which will have the least impact upon the quality of life of our residents and our community.?

The Governor should immediately tell Bernard Eccelstone to look elsewhere and let the people enjoy LSP, one of the most meaningful and beautiful public spaces in America and the world. Why even start a public hearings process on this radical permanent race track plan for this public park when it?s obvious most reasonable people will oppose it.

The Friends is an all-volunteer 22 year old park group with over 900 members. We are an ?ORFO?, an ?officially recognized friends organization? of the NJDEP?s Division of Parks and Forestry. Our goals are to protect and improve LSP for future generations.

We call on Governor Christie to ?do the right thing? and not threaten LSP with a crazy plan. Please, in the words of First Lady Nancy Reagan, ?just say NO!?

Sam Pesin, president on behalf of the Friends? Board of Trustees

Posted on: 2010/5/10 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:
I think the race would be cool; just not in the Park.

+1

I shouldn't be amazed at how daft the people are on here for wanting it in Jersey City in Liberty State Park. As many people have pointed out, LSP does not belong to JC. So even if the city was supporting this proposal, they can in no way promise the site to F1 as LSP does not belong to JC. And even if DEP went along with this plan, I don't think they'd be able to proceed without an EA or EIS.

@GlitterQueen and the comment about hippies wanting to preserve green space - wipe the glitter off because it must be blinding you. It's not just hippies that want to preserve green space. I guess you would prefer you pave over every inch of this and every city and not leave a trace of green anywhere. As DanL pointed out, LSP has a master plan and no where in that master plan is there a section titled F1 racetrack. Yes it's a big grass field - so what. It's good for kite flying, frisbee playing, and whatever else. Give some of the newly planted trees time to mature and it will be more than just a grass field.

I'll end this with (again) LSP DOES NOT BELONG TO JC SO LET'S MOVE ON AND GET OFF THIS TOPIC OF JC HAS BLOWN ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY!!! If JC (the city and the residents) want F1 so bad, put it somewhere that JC has some real jurisdiction and move on. Then this town can go screw that up like everything else it has screwed up and then we can actually complain about they screwed that up.

*sigh*

Posted on: 2010/5/8 17:10
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here is another email from the Formula 1 racing fan in MA:

The CEO of Formula 1 doesn't really care if any given race is successful to its promoters - or a good experience for the fans. What he wants is enough venues to create competition among them so he can auction off the races - in other words get his cut up front, which he already is doing.

Montreal's track is in a park (Jean Drapeau) on an island (Ste. Helene) that was built for the World Fair & Olympic Games in Montreal back in the 60's. The spoil from the massive Metro project was dumped into the St. Laurence river to create it & other islands that became venues for these events & parks after them. While Montreal is a large city & the hub of its region much like the NYC-northern NJ area its total traffic volume is substantially smaller so the F1 impact on essential & commercial traffic in the area is negligible.

One saving grace is that the Metro has a stop at the park which is used by the vast (virtually 99%) majority of F1 fans. On race day it is capable of taking 100,000+ riders from the park back to the city - over two to three hours - & effectively regulates automobile traffic impact.

Jean Drapeau works as a public park most of the time since the (paid for) race track is used for events at most 3 to 4 weekends out of the year. But the track does dominate the landscape. Fences & other barriers that are required for a safe racing environment plus the track & associated facilities make it hardscape dominated.

Liberty State Park's proximity to the NJTP makes it an extremely poor choice as a venue for a modern day F1 venue. I have been looking at LSP on the map & even with my limited knowledge of the area see major problems for that type development & operation that comparison with Montreal invites.

A "conservative" should see this idea for what it is - a high risk use of public land & (ultimately) public funds for what is likely (if not virtually certain) to become a white elephant.

I don't want to just go on & on & waste your time. If you see a way that I can offer more than encouraging words let me know.
John,
Jamaica, MA

Posted on: 2010/5/8 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I doubt that any sensible person wants to endanger our residents with possible auto crashes at high speeds on a circuitous race course.

I'd take my chances against all the other dangers we face living here.

I think the race would be cool; just not in the Park.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
I doubt that any sensible person wants to endanger our residents with possible auto crashes at high speeds on a circuitous race course.

That's just my opinion.

wait, i am confused by what you just wrote. You think an F1 car crashing will endanger people? if this is what you meant you are misinformed. they way that the courses are set up there is almost no way for a spectator to be harmed. I don't think anyone in recent times has been(I am sure back in the day when they used to not have seat belts and had a running start it was different.)

They have high fences at road courses. The closest thing to anyone being harmed was a photographer or camera man i don't remember who was almost hit by red bull car's wheel when both tires kinda exploded because of some suspension issue or something like that during practice. (it was awesome btw! I hate watching practice)

I am not a huge F1 fan but my husband is. I have watched it since 2003 and never saw anyone but the drivers endangered. When the cars hit a barrier they usually shatter into little pieces because they are carbon fiber. Spectators being harmed is not an issue anyone should worry about. The cars don't go near the spectators. once again this is not nascar.

Too bad JC missed out but from what I have heard they will probably go to Vegas and hey that will be fun too. When you start to go deaf you can go gamble!

If anything should really being opposed it should be the people who live right there. the noise from what i have heard is deafening. Then again if they like F1 they have an awesome seat.

I just wish Jersey City would be more open to creating a place that people want to come aside from people who live in Jersey City. It seems like if it is going to do anything to any green space people automatically oppose it.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Healey commented: ?After a review of the draft proposal prepared by the City's Tourism Office, I have come to the same conclusion that this type of event is not suited for Liberty State Park.

City's Tourism Office - Who, how many, background of staff, experience ?

What International events do we have ?

We can gain so much with a F1, in lieu of noise for one week once the infrustrature is in place............I bet my left testicle that any other city would jump at the idea - JC City hall has no vision and would be siht scared if the world was focused on it !

FAB, you do realize that it was the "Jersey City Tourism Office" WHO proposed the F1 event in Liberty State Park?

That they submitted a proposal based on land owned by NJ State shows just how unprofessional this dept. is in fact. You and I agree on that fact though for different reasons.

As DanL stated, it's not to say that an F1 event shouldn't be "discussed" but only if it truly would benefit JC and not damage our multiple Federal Historic Neighborhoods and more important, show how such an event would figure into any master plan for the city. Since JC shares a density of over 16k/sq mile, the same as San Francisco (according to 2008 updated Census figures), and the JCPD estimates that over 100k persons are in this Zone 4 of the Eastern District, I doubt that any sensible person wants to endanger our residents with possible auto crashes at high speeds on a circuitous race course.

That's just my opinion.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 4:33
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Healey commented: ?After a review of the draft proposal prepared by the City's Tourism Office, I have come to the same conclusion that this type of event is not suited for Liberty State Park.

City's Tourism Office - Who, how many, background of staff, experience ?

What International events do we have ?

We can gain so much with a F1, in lieu of noise for one week once the infrustrature is in place............I bet my left testicle that any other city would jump at the idea - JC City hall has no vision and would be siht scared if the world was focused on it !

Posted on: 2010/5/8 4:21
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Well I'm glad that Mayor Healy put the final kabosh on this stupid idea!

Quote:
F1: Jersey City Mayor Cancels F1 Project
There will be no Grand Prix in Jersey City...

Adam Cooper | http://www.speedtv.com | Posted May 05, 2010 Balen (BEL)

Jersey city Mayor Jerramiah T Healy has canned plans for a Grand Prix in Liberty State Park, just a day after they became public

The Jersey Journal reported today that Healey had responded to pressure from interests who wanted to protect the park.

?While we work to attract national and international events to our city, we must ensure that they are appropriate and will have the least impact upon the quality of life of our residents and our community.?

Plans for the race had been pursued by Destination Jersey City, a non profit operated by the city's Economic Development Corporation. The race was to be held from 2012.

Project opponent Sam Pesin, president of Friends of Liberty State Park, said: ?Mayor Healy did reach out to me yesterday and we had a very constructive conversation. Instead of a negative wasteful controversy, we can all focus on working together on positive efforts to benefit Jersey City and Liberty State Park.?

It?s not yet clear how seriously Bernie Ecclestone took the Jersey City project, or whether he has other credible candidates in the US lined up.

Adam Cooper notched up his 25th season as a racing journalist in 2009. Born in London, England, he saw his first F1 race at age 10 in 1976. He began freelancing for Autosport magazine in 1985 and was on the fulltime staff from 1987-92. He then went freelance again, initially spending two years in Japan before following the 1994 Champcar series from a base in Indianapolis. He has not missed a Grand Prix since Suzuka ?94, a run that has extended to Abu Dhabi ?09. Adam has written books about Eddie Irvine, Piers Courage and Michael Schumacher and hosts a race preview show on Sirius XM. He has written about F1 for SPEEDtv.com since 2005. Check out Adam's Blog or follow him on Twitter

Posted on: 2010/5/8 2:38
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
.... say hells to the yeah!

How about "saying hells" to speaking English?

Posted on: 2010/5/7 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
I would NEVER oppose this! I have gone to it up in Montreal and the amount of money that it would bring into the city would be AMAZING! Plus, maybe we could finally get some streets fixed around here!

There are EXTREMELY deep pockets in F1 Racing. My husband's father is an addict to it and so are others that watch this. It is the only car racing that I enjoy. And that beautiful sound....

So yeah, if you don't want Jersey City and the local businesses to prosper, then say no. But if you actually give a shit about this area.... say hells to the yeah!

I know, right??? They would all totally stay at the Newport hotels and eat at the Flamingo and Brownstone in the morning and then finish the day with dinner at Edward's or Fire and Oak before heading over to Lucky's or Zeppelin or Iron Monkey for a nightcap. The more adventurous will head west of the Turnpike.

All the tourists and racing teams will be so busy spending money in Jersey City that they will forget New York City is only a stone's throw away.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 19:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
I would NEVER oppose this! I have gone to it up in Montreal and the amount of money that it would bring into the city would be AMAZING! Plus, maybe we could finally get some streets fixed around here!

There are EXTREMELY deep pockets in F1 Racing. My husband's father is an addict to it and so are others that watch this. It is the only car racing that I enjoy. And that beautiful sound....

So yeah, if you don't want Jersey City and the local businesses to prosper, then say no. But if you actually give a shit about this area.... say hells to the yeah!

Posted on: 2010/5/7 18:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
DanL hit the nail on the head.

Jersey City needs a strategic plan and vision to drive the future of our city.

He asks, Why do we need to open the door to every commercial privatization plan that comes to the City?

That's my question too.

Not only are we opening the door to 'deep pockets' Formula 1, we're slamming it in the faces of Jersey City taxpayers at the same time.

To Dan L & r_pinkowitz - The proposal submitted by Jersey City's Tourism Official asks nothing from Formula 1 for Jersey City. Yet it offers countless dollars, tax dollars, our dollars, offering free security, staffing and funds to build this track for a private company.

On the issue of Liberty State Park already having a publicly approved master plan, DanL is right on that too.

Does anyone besides Dan L find it offensive and outrageous that the Tourism Offical for Jersey City is clueless about the landscape of the park ? LSP is Jersey City's most visited site in our City and this Tourism employee proposed a track which would carve out an area which has over 30 million dollars dedicated for restoration.

The question is how much will this cost our city beyond the loss of a beloved space?

Why doesn't the Tourism Official propose carving out Liberty National Golf Course?

Can you hear the JC Officials?
Oh God NO, not a private organizations space!
We have too much respect for them, lets keep screwing the taxpayers instead.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 4:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Financial predictions are irrelevant because the Grand Prix organizer will structure the contract with Jersey City so the the taxpayer assumes the risk of any loss and the venue organizer will be guaranteed a profit.

And our corrupt government will get campaign contributions to make sure they love the deal. This happened last week when our corrupt government passed an ordinance to guarantee a $8 Million loan to a developer who will build a Hotel at Liberty Harbor. According to Steve Fulop the Jersey City taxpayer took a risk that no bank would:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19765

Posted on: 2010/5/7 4:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Please correct me if I'm wrong...The argument from the pro F1 side is: Formula 1 using LSP as a venue is about the revenue it could bring to Jersey City? I wish someone could talk numbers.

What kind of ticket sales do you think this could bring? How many people do you think (guesstimate) will buy these tickets?

How much revenue will JC see of this?

Will thousands fly across the world to see a race here? Yes, Europeans do travel from one European County to another to see a F1 race, but will they travel to the US for it?

Someone who supports the pro side throw out some numbers. At it's best how many people would buy tickets and where would they realistically be staying in Jersey City or New York City?

Take a peek at this site for some examples of attendance to one of the hottest venues besides the World Cup in Europe. Now imagine the numbers that would come out to see this in the US where it's not so hot. Would the ticket sales and "tourism" to this event offset the cost to the City of Jersey City and the State of New Jersey?

Posted on: 2010/5/7 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
why should we open the door to every commercial or privatization idea thrown out there when there exists a well conceived publicly vetted master plan for Liberty State Park.

should F1 racing on PRIVATE land be considered? maybe. but perhaps, what Jersey City really needs is a strategic plan and vision to drive the the future our city. do we need seasonal minimum wage jobs provided by sporadic events or do we need green and light manufacturing jobs that provide a livable wage so that we can offer a future to our residents, have them pay taxes and be able to give back to their community at the end of the day.

Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
look; Sam Pesin is a sweetheart, and I appreciate all he does for that park, but I wouldn't rest the future of this potentially great city, in his hands.

At first glance I was opposed, because I use the park, and I use it often. i don't want to see it get ripped apart.

BUT, At second glance, I think there is PLENTY of reason to explore this idea. Sam, and LSP friends should at least discuss this with the Mayor, and the public, and even create demands and expectations from F1 should the event ever come to fruition. To just dismiss it altogether is disgusting.

Posted on: 2010/5/7 3:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I got a second email from a Formula 1 racing fan, who is opposing a permanent race track in LSP from the same person who sent me one posted on JC List in #71. This email addresses further the false economic claims of a permanent car race track in this urban open space park:

from John of MA:

One point I neglected to mention (& in trying to be succinct) is the highly questionable economic benefit of any NJ F1 venue for anyone except Ecclestone & Co

F1 is at best a niche sport in North America & especially in the US. With Montreal (which has only been able to re-secure its F1 venue with substantial governmental & community financial support - an unlikely scenario in NJ) only seven or so hours away - & with the necessity of having North American F1 races back-to-back weekends to shoe-horn them into the F1 calendar - would mean a dilution of fan attendance for both venues.

Canadian tickets start at $225 for the weekend & I would imagine US prices would have to be substantially higher, consequently the North American F1 fan, would most likely opt for one or the other venue - not both. On top of the negative environmental impact argument I made previously, the economic fragility of the scheme should make F1 in NJ a pipe dream...but crazier things have happened.

So, thank you for your leadership & I will do my best to visit LP some time. I have found that NJ really is the Garden State...once you escape NJTP & GSPW.

Best regards,

John
Jamaica, MA

Posted on: 2010/5/7 0:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is an excerpt taken directly from the Jersey City Tourism Official's proposal.

"Jersey City will provide:
o Assistance with securing permits, public safety services, environmental protection agency, as
well as coordinating city and state efforts to make this a successful endeavor."

Isn't that how a bunch of Jersey City Officials got in trouble?

Offering assistance to 'secure' permits before application is made?

State says its their land and their decision for a permit. State also says application has not been made to State yet. So how can a Jersey City official offer assistance with 'securing' permits? I think the Environmental Protection Agency is also a State agency so how can a Jersey City official 'provide' the EPA?

Business as usual.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
lI think there is PLENTY of reason to explore this idea. Sam, and LSP friends should at least discuss this with the Mayor, and the public, and even create demands and expectations from F1 should the event ever come to fruition. To just dismiss it altogether is disgusting.

What's that joke?

"So the guy says 'We've already determined what you are, Ma'am. Now we're just negotiating the price!"

Posted on: 2010/5/6 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the newspaper reports, it sounds like there is a process for submission and review of proposals to LSP for events, and this has not even risen to the level of a proposal by F1. F1 has submitted nothing for review---so I don't think public meetings and votes would be an appropriate use of resources, or result in any useful discussion, since there are no facts on the table other than the Tourism Committee's draft---not likely a thorough economic or environmental study.

QUOTE:
?Each year Liberty State Park receives numerous requests for events to be held at this park,? DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese said. ?Each event is considered based on benefit to park users and its impacts on the natural and historic resources on the site.?

While the city?s tourism official forwarded a copy of the draft proposal, that calls for the creation of a 3.6-mile track at the park, to the park?s superintendent who is a DEP employee, Ragonese said no formal application was made to the state.

?At this point I can only say we have not reviewed this proposal. If this proposal comes to us like any other proposal we?ll look at it and consider it,? he said. ?They would have to get state approval to do this.?

Posted on: 2010/5/6 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
look; Sam Pesin is a sweetheart, and I appreciate all he does for that park, but I wouldn't rest the future of this potentially great city, in his hands.

At first glance I was opposed, because I use the park, and I use it often. i don't want to see it get ripped apart.

BUT, At second glance, I think there is PLENTY of reason to explore this idea. Sam, and LSP friends should at least discuss this with the Mayor, and the public, and even create demands and expectations from F1 should the event ever come to fruition. To just dismiss it altogether is disgusting.

+5 internets for you good sir.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 18:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
As I posted above, I am an F1 fan, but that doesn't mean LSP is an acceptable venue. It is a PARK, it would be ruined, the fledgling plant/animal life would be ruined.

There are racetracks for this sort of thing. Many of them. They have the infrastructure to handle the toxicity and the parking etc. LSP is not the place...

I am thinking of joining FOLSP. I agree with them regarding the planned 9/11 memorial. I actually am not a huge fan of even APW being held there, even if I liked most of the bands. But that is by far the least disruptive.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
What are the Friends of LSP trying to save??? Is that a serious question? I must be going to a different park 3-4 times a week, because I really don't understand the particular criticisms or apathy concerning this park, unless people making these comments have either never been, or maybe did a quick drive through here or there. I see hundreds of people in this park every day for various purposes--maybe thousands on weekends. There are fitness stations that people actually use, really nice open paths with great views for walking/biking, grilling/picnic areas that are always packed on weekends, open fields for sun bathing and sports. Yeah, the trees are short because they were planted in recent years---trees grow. And yes, it is really close to the Statue of Liberty, and a draw for many visitors---is that a bad thing? I really don't get that argument. People go to LIBERTY State Park just to see the Statue of Liberty? I wonder if people go to Niagara Falls State Park just to see Niagara Falls.

Yes, it's sad. It seems that there is a segment of our population that can't be happy unless there is music pumping and they have a drink in their hand. This seems to be why people like Sam Pesin have to fight so hard to save our green spaces.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
What are the Friends of LSP trying to save??? Is that a serious question? I must be going to a different park 3-4 times a week, because I really don't understand the particular criticisms or apathy concerning this park, unless people making these comments have either never been, or maybe did a quick drive through here or there. I see hundreds of people in this park every day for various purposes--maybe thousands on weekends. There are fitness stations that people actually use, really nice open paths with great views for walking/biking, grilling/picnic areas that are always packed on weekends, open fields for sun bathing and sports. Yeah, the trees are short because they were planted in recent years---trees grow. And yes, it is really close to the Statue of Liberty, and a draw for many visitors---is that a bad thing? I really don't get that argument. People go to LIBERTY State Park just to see the Statue of Liberty? I wonder if people go to Niagara Falls State Park just to see Niagara Falls.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 14:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
Your map is a great idea! We could hold the race on Monday mornings and get the commuters involved too!!!

Posted on: 2010/5/6 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Wow.
Just think of the monetary gain to the city and the prestige!
A world-class sporting venue in our backyard!
Hundreds of thousands of people be making this their go-to destination.

Why, we could become the next Rutherford, N.J.!!

Posted on: 2010/5/6 12:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Guess what a F1 Grand Prix will do to property prices in JC ?

Even crap housing would be worth a bomb and if you want law and order then that's what we'll get - It will push the low income and unemployed out......improve our amenities, our restaurants and general quality of life ...........expectations from the F1 body and fans will be high and they'll demand it

Posted on: 2010/5/6 11:27
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
What exactly are the friends of LSP trying to save here? LSP is pretty empty. It has the science museum, the run down rail yard (which the proposal included $1 from every ticket to fix), and views of the Statue of Liberty. Without the statue I doubt many people would ever go to LSP, and without the statue i doubt people outside JC would have even heard of the park. I understand the idea of preserving green space for city dwellers to enjoy nature, but LSP is hardly that. Empty fields and old decaying playground equipment do not sound very inviting to me. LSP needs a MAJOR overhaul. Why don't the friends of LSP tackle that issue instead?

Posted on: 2010/5/6 10:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I drew a new Forumula 1 Grand Prix map for Jersey City. It is the same 3.5 mile distance as proposed in Liberty State Park.
View Forumula 1 Racing in Jersey City, NJ in a larger map You need the new Google Earth plugin to see the next two maps; spectacular.
View Forumula 1 Racing in Jersey City, NJ in a larger map
View Forumula 1 Racing in Jersey City, NJ in a larger map

Posted on: 2010/5/6 5:06

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact