Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City school board members vote for raise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
If someone pays property taxes in one town where they live (in this case NOT Jersey City) and have their children go to a public school in another town such as Jersey City is it legal and if not how can it be addressed ?

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=167194

Posted on: 2010/4/29 18:07

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:37:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
If someone pays property taxes in one town where they live (in this case NOT Jersey City) and have their children go to a public school in another town such as Jersey City is it legal and if not how can it be addressed ?

Posted on: 2010/4/29 17:39

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:37:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/27 23:10
Group:
Registered Users
F this sh1t.

At least the people I voted for are responsible enough to abstain from voting on sh1t they didnt know much about.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 13:40

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:37:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/2 8:12
Group:
Banned
Why should public employees get raises during a recession when tax revenues are decreased and there are budget shortfalls, especially when property taxes are being raised. I would prefer if public employees came to my condo and robbed me. At least you would be doing it to my face instead of having a bunch of politicians do it for you.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 8:19

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:36:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
BS That is all.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:50

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:36:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/10 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
i don't know what this person does or exactly what a business administrator in a school system does, but generally with the state of the schools, it's hard to see how that kind of pay and pay raise is justfied. we should spend more on the teachers in the classroom, not the failed infrastructure of the school system. as a society we've become so accustomed with rewarding failure. it's contributing mightily to the end of american dominance.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:18

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:36:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
$155,000.00 with a raise and they are complaining about contributing $2300 a year for health insurance!? That isnt too far off for what I pay per month! Besides, the raise will more than cover their contribution, so theoretically that means we are paying for their contribution... How many individual family members who send their kids to that school each have a salary of over 100k? How many people out their got raises this year (banking and investments industry doesn't count)? I am curious...

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:00

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:35:44

Jersey City school board members vote for raise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey City school board members start debate on first night

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
April 27, 2010, 8:48PM

School board reorganization meetings are usually full of routine business, but that wasn't the case in Jersey City tonight.

Only about 15 minutes after taking the oath of office, new members Carol Lester and Sterling Waterman were faced with approving the business administrator's contract.

Lester said she has no issues with Business Administrator Melissa Simmons, but she moved to table the contract and got Waterman's support on the motion.

?As a person who was just elected really by community members and tax payers my focus is to make sure I really truly understand every budget item before approving it,? she said. ?Especially items that could set a precedent for percentages across the board to every single person which really could make it difficult for us to stay within our budget.?

The move launched a debate on why the contract expiring April 30 was put off until the last minute.

Member Frances Thompson warned the two new members that tabling a motion is no easy feat.

"You're picking sides when you're moving to table," she said. "You don't want to do that on your first day."

Thompson suggested that Lester remove her motion and that Lester and Waterman abstain on the contract vote.

Lester did not take that advice and when the motion was put to a vote it failed 3 to 6, with Lester, Waterman and Vice President Sue Mack being the only supporters.

Despite the lack of support, board member sympathized with Lester and Waterman's situation.

?This was to be the reorganization meeting,? member Peter Donnelly said. ?This item should not even be on the agenda.?

The meeting started off with Lester, Waterman and incumbent Angel Valentin, who were the top vote getters in the April 20 election, taking the oath of office.

Mack said in her 14 years as a board member, she has never seen an item as important as the business administrator?s contract placed on a reorganization meeting agenda.

"I don't know why the administrative staff is putting this board in a position where we have to consider this tonight," Mack said, adding that she is "very happy" with Simmons.

Waterman said he felt like he and Lester were put in a "precarious position to vote on something we know very little about."

Lester asked the administration for an explanation.

"Since we're being forced to do this in public, almost held hostage the board members and the taxpayers, is there someone from administration who can stand up and tell us why it wasn't presented earlier," she asked.

Superintendent Charles Epps said he wanted to bring the contract to the board last month but needed the county executive superintendent to approve it first. He also added that he thought he had until July, when most of the districts other contracts expire.

The one-year contract calls for a 2.5 raise, which would bring Simmons annually salary of $155,000 to $158,750. In exchange, she will contribute 1.5 percent of her salary toward the cost of her health benefits.

Although the health contribution requirement was signed into law by Gov. Chris Christie, it doesn?t take affect until next month. Simmons would have been exempt if her contract didn?t include the payment.

?That was a very important feature it was built into that contract,? board member Patricia Sebron said in voicing her approval.

In the end the contract was approved 7-0-2 with Lester and Waterman abstaining.

?In voting yes, that is a vote of confidence for Melissa Simmons,? Mack said. ?I am deeply disappointed in the administration.?

Posted on: 2010/4/28 7:18

Edited by Webmaster on 2010/5/1 7:35:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017