Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Used car dealership recommendation?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neotechnet wrote:
Hi everyone, my girlfriend and I are in the market to purchase a low end used car, in the $2k-$3k range. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer in the area?

I wouldn't recommend buying a car in this price range unless you are mechanically inclined and can fix it when it breaks.
You might be better off getting a zipcar membership

Posted on: 2012/2/15 18:55

Re: Used car dealership recommendation?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure about used, but I just had a really good experience buying a new car at Hudson Subaru on Communipaw Ave. I know they have used cars as well but not sure if there is anything in your price range; I think most of their used inventory is only a few years old, but it's worth a shot if you want a Subaru. You can look at their used inventory online, I think it's just hudsonsubaru.com.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 14:45

Used car dealership recommendation?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/17 16:04
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone, my girlfriend and I are in the market to purchase a low end used car, in the $2k-$3k range. Can anyone recommend a reputable dealer in the area?

Posted on: 2012/2/13 22:58

Re: Car Dealers on 440
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sile wrote:
Anybody have advice on where to bring a car/sell a car that needs repairs? I got in an accident the other day & the car is not considered a total loss, but the repair place is going to charge about $1600 to make it driveable again. We're just going to take the insurance money b/c we need a new car anyway. BUT, I don't know what to do with the car since the repair place isn't interested in buying it & I don't have a parking space to deal with selling it on craigslist or anything. I think the blue book value on the car is about $5K & I'm sure parts are fine (and we just got a new battery put in last week). Anyway, any advice appreciated (or if anybody knows a mechanic that would want to buy it, we can have it towed over). Thanks in advance!

Yeah trade it in. I'm not sure what brand you are looking for but as far as the 3 major foreign car brands I heard good things about the Nissan dealer, stay away from Honda though 'cause they are rip offs, this is grapevine info. And Toyota is too congested with sales pitches although that car sells itself.

Posted on: 2011/1/22 3:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/17 1:22
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody have advice on where to bring a car/sell a car that needs repairs? I got in an accident the other day & the car is not considered a total loss, but the repair place is going to charge about $1600 to make it driveable again. We're just going to take the insurance money b/c we need a new car anyway. BUT, I don't know what to do with the car since the repair place isn't interested in buying it & I don't have a parking space to deal with selling it on craigslist or anything. I think the blue book value on the car is about $5K & I'm sure parts are fine (and we just got a new battery put in last week).

Anyway, any advice appreciated (or if anybody knows a mechanic that would want to buy it, we can have it towed over).

Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2011/1/21 22:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will never set foot in Hudson Toyota gain. Loathe them. The BBB give Hudson Toyota an "F" last time I checked.

I had a good experience with Parkway Toyota in Englewood.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 23:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I also used Carsdirect when I bought my Jetta back in 2002., best experience ever...no haggling. I received a great price for the car and the color/trim/engine/options I wanted. Only thing was I had to go to Pompton Plains to get the vehicle but other then that I'd go through Carsdirect again in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/13 3:14
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I put down a $250 fully refundable deposit on a car at the Nissan dealer. Decided not to buy it and they refused to refund my money. Eventually I had to call my credit card company and declare the charge as fraudulent. Total scumbags there (at least the people I dealt with).

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/7 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
Many years ago I worked in a dealership....I emphasize "MANY". But the tactics are the same. I hated it because it was the epitome of how to cheat someone... Did some people get good deals? Yea some... But mostly it was things like selling "rust underbody protection" for $700 which they used a $3 can of rustoleum under the car. Even at that time, the manufacturers offered a 10 year 100k mile warranty against rust. Basically when the person would come in we were instructed to feel out the persons "pay-ability" $XXX per month. Then we would find a car "in that range". Once we did that, we then went to the manager to get our cost per month... we already knew what it was.. way above where you said you could pay... we would shoot the breeze with the manager and then come back out and give that to the person who would then bolt up ready to leave... we would then reply... let me see if i can do better... this goes on and on until you come to a price.. .usually a good deal higher than where you started. Then you get to the add ons.. then financing. It keeps occurring to wear down your expectations.. The bit thing is that you truly go in their armed.. find out what consumer reports says the car is selling for around the region. This will let you know if you are getting a good deal or not. Once you know your range of what the real price of the vehicle is, you can estimate approximately how much it will cost per month online. Experiment with various rates as your credit score or condition may be different. Also know that you bank can finance the vehicle, nothing says you have to do the dealerships financing. If you are savvy and firm, you may actually do better. And there are a few dealers out there who actually fight hard to get you a good rate and a good deal to move their inventory. If you bank or credit union can offer you a better rate, walk away, take the vin number (many times they will tell you it sold while you went to get financing, but you will probably find the car on the lot somewhere) . Hope this helps...

Posted on: 2010/4/28 14:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Car dealerships are a HORROR at best and the thought of car dealerships on 440 fill me with dread.

I buy cars when I buy/bought, used, from private sellers with few exceptions.

The few times I wandered into car dealerships, new and used, were among the most awful experiences of my life. Dealing with the fakery, the lies, the silly twaddle that passes as the game of car sales is more than my psyche can handle.

Like dealing with people who wanted to be in the mob but who were deemed too stupid to compete with REAL criminals (or politicians.)

+1

Hudson Toyota is one of the worst.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I lied - it's actually FOUR CENTS...

Buying a car from a private seller can save you a lot of money. However, it's only for people with some degree of savviness. A dealership might pressure you with obnoxious sales techniques but they will never sell you a car that they know will throw a rod or lose its brakes within 100 miles.

Dealerships have reputations and business licenses to protect that private sellers don't. The difference between a reliable car that will last you a decade and one that could kill your whole family might be invisible to someone who doesn't now what a master cylinder is supposed to look like.

I'd recommend the dealer route for someone who doesn't have the time to make repairs and is clueless under the hood. If you are buying from a private seller, please have someone with some real knowledge - not just a big talker - look it over first.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 17:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Here's my 0.02 on this...

I have bought every vehicle I've ever owned from private sellers, which is the best way to do it IF - and only IF - you are a reasonable judge of character, are (or know) a decent mechanic, and are willing to accept a bit of risk.

My job required me to purchase a new car last year so I ended up grabbing a Honda Accord from Metro Honda on 440.

I spent two weeks going to all the dealers on 440 as well as another half-dozen around Northern NJ.

My 0.02 as a former mechanic and someone who's bought and sold over 20 vehicles in my life is that all dealers are basically the same. I wouldn't recommend one over another. They're all slimy, and just want you out the door owning anything, whether its a good choice for you or not.

The best thing to do is read - and re-read - all the online guides on how to deal with car dealerships. They are pretty accurate. Just google the topic and read them all.

Every dealership works the same way and the advice is good. Basically know what you want, know what its worth, make a reasonable offer, and keep walking away until someone is willing to do the transaction. Don't listen to any pitches, accept any stories, and walk away if they are being too pushy.

They're all going to treat you like you are stupid. Just smile and accept it, find the car you need, offer what it is worth, and let them take it. Ignore their crazy schemes and counter-offers.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
I strongly suggest making your purchase through carsdirect.com. More often than not, you will wind up paying less than dealer invoice. When you login and look up the vehicle, add all of the features you're looking for and the carsdirect price comes up with all of the applicable rebates already included in the price.
I purchased a Toyota Camry this way in 2002. Everything was done online until it came time to sign the papers. I went to a trailer at hudson Toyota and had my car in 15 minutes.
I also had my parents purchase a car this way. The dealer actually delivered the vehicle to their home in Bayonne from Long Island. They were quoted $5000.00 more in a dealership on a 2004 Hyundai Sonata than the price I obtained for them on Carsdirect.
It's the only way I will ever purchase car again.

Just curious when you type in your zip code will it be a local dealer they send you to? I find when I type in my zip to look for dealers of anything from clothes, to bikes, to trinkets I am always directed cross state lines mainly to Nyc because of it's proximity to my J.C. zip code. When your parent?s car was delivered to their house did they have to pay New York state sales tax? Also when you went to the trailer do you think you would have had paid more if you went to that dealer yourself?

They (carsdirect) will send you to the closest dealer that has the exact vehicle you're looking for. In my parents case, they only wanted the car in blue and the closest dealer having that vehicle in blue happened to be on Long Island. The taxes were paid to the state of NJ at the time of registration. The dealer must've had an agreement with a NJ dealer because their NJ tags were fedexed to their house about 2 weeks after purchase.

When I purchased the 02 Camry, I did attempt to go into a dealership and they wanted $3000.00 over dealer invoice. Even though Toyota wasn't offering rebates at the time, I still wound up getting the car for $600 over dealer invoice so I saved $2400.00 and a lot of hassle for not having to sit there for financials. All of my info was faxed over and all approvals were done over the phone.

My parents were actually inside the dealership ready to make a deal when I called them with the Carsdirect price.

Also keep in mind that Carsdirect probably doesn't work with every car dealer so you could see a car you want at a particular dealership and carsdirect might send you someplace totally different.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I should add to the above, that I dread the service at DiFeo Ford. I prefer to use my own local dealer. I felt some pressure to buy the maintenance plan, but ignored it.

After buying the car I found out that i could have through a whole lot of hassle and without a guarantee gotten the car for $500 less at a place in the middle of Pa. I feel satisfied with the price I paid.

But i 100% agree with the 3 hour waits at the service center being ridiculous. I'm convinced the service waits at these various dealers keep that IHop in business!

Posted on: 2010/4/27 14:05
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
We had a very good experience at DiFeo Ford. I would definitely buy there again. They came down on their price quite a bit very easily because they saw we were willing to buy right then and there.

They were polite and courteous. They seemed to go above and beyond. We bought a used Ford. We went back with a few minor issues like a scratch we noticed later and they bent over backwards to just fix anything we asked. I later found out that many of my neighbors had an equally good experience.

Quote:

spike_dcdiva wrote:
Thanks Everyone! At least now I know where NOT to go!

More specifically, we are hoping to buy a new car, if not, then a certified used. We are only looking at Ford right now, so if anyone has had a really good experience at a Ford dealer in the area, please let me know.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2010/4/27 13:58
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fairviewguy wrote:
i've had three experience with the dealers at 440, walsh dodge (which is no longer there, its next to the metro honda), difeo ford and metro honda...

i wouldn't recommend any of these places to shop for a new car. also, do your research until you know what you want and don't ever sign unless you read what your signing. yes it sounds obvious but it's crazy how these dealers get you. also make sure you have someone else present and DO NOT EVER MAKE AN EDUCATED GUESS to what the financce guy/salesman is saying. if at any point you don't understand, ASK. and keep asking until you're 100% sure of the deal. not 98, 99, but 100% sure. good luck!

I had 4 choices at the time of where I would buy my car, there weren't that many available dealers to begin with, 2 were closest in proximity, Wayne, and Hillside. The other 2 were in Union and Avenel, I chose Wayne. Hillside reminded me of the dealerships along Rt. 440 shady shysters just trying to make a deal. I remember shopping for the car and walked into the Toyota dealership there was a young driver no older than 19 and that was pushing it. He took his grandfather with him probably for financial backing. The grandfather was like a fish out of water, I could tell he was not used to doing business in a fast paced party like manner as these salesmen were conveying. Of course the kid was mesmerized by the glamour of it all you would think he was buying a new cell phone. I felt bad for grandpa a mild mannered man who had his wits about him but not the patience for the tomfoolery that was being thrown at him. It was a zoo inside there. If you are looking for a car then go to a dealer outside of Hudson County and read the fine print...you don't have a speed limit to sign on the dotted line.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 13:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/27 12:39
Group:
Registered Users
i've had three experience with the dealers at 440, walsh dodge (which is no longer there, its next to the metro honda), difeo ford and metro honda...

the walsh dodge sales experience was alright.. very friendly (who wouldn't be?) and they know their crap. The service end of it was sub-par at best. I bought a mercury from there and because it was a car they didn't sepcialize at the timem it was like pulling teeth to get something fixed. for instance, i had a oil leak, took it to get serviced. it took 2 days for me to get my vehicle back (they prvided a crappy deawoo in the meantime) and when i took it home, the whole oil tank popped. they had to tow it back to their shop and it took another week to get everything fixed.

the difeo ford sales/service team both get a horrible rating from me. they took my father for a fool and sold him a DEMO car at ticket price. yes granted it was not their fault but a when did salesman integrity go out the window? the difeo service is spotty as well. they've done things to the car without consent and then demand it be paid. be careful at difeo.

finally, i bought a vehicle this past year at metro honda. on the day of purchase everything seemed smooth. i needed my father to co-sign and so they financial manager told us where to sign to get the deal as such. it just so happened the only way i would get the car would be if he was a CO-BUYER, which the financial manager did. they bold-face lied and when the issue was brought up to the salesman, he washed his hands of it. everyone at that place washed their hands of it (suprisingly, a week after i got the car, the finance guy was let-go). the only thing good about this place is the service. i've been in and out for a tire pressure guage check and oil change.

i wouldn't recommend any of these places to shop for a new car. also, do your research until you know what you want and don't ever sign unless you read what your signing. yes it sounds obvious but it's crazy how these dealers get you. also make sure you have someone else present and DO NOT EVER MAKE AN EDUCATED GUESS to what the financce guy/salesman is saying. if at any point you don't understand, ASK. and keep asking until you're 100% sure of the deal. not 98, 99, but 100% sure. good luck!

Posted on: 2010/4/27 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:
I strongly suggest making your purchase through carsdirect.com. More often than not, you will wind up paying less than dealer invoice. When you login and look up the vehicle, add all of the features you're looking for and the carsdirect price comes up with all of the applicable rebates already included in the price.
I purchased a Toyota Camry this way in 2002. Everything was done online until it came time to sign the papers. I went to a trailer at hudson Toyota and had my car in 15 minutes.
I also had my parents purchase a car this way. The dealer actually delivered the vehicle to their home in Bayonne from Long Island. They were quoted $5000.00 more in a dealership on a 2004 Hyundai Sonata than the price I obtained for them on Carsdirect.

Just curious when you type in your zip code will it be a local dealer they send you to? I find when I type in my zip to look for dealers of anything from clothes, to bikes, to trinkets I am always directed cross state lines mainly to Nyc because of it's proximity to my J.C. zip code. When your parent?s car was delivered to their house did they have to pay New York state sales tax? Also when you went to the trailer do you think you would have had paid more if you went to that dealer yourself?

Posted on: 2010/4/27 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
stepanstas wrote:
Tried the Nissan & Toyota dealerships. I think they are run by the same person since very similar.

Nissan was only interested in showing the most expensive cars. Toyota, after the receptionist called for a rep at least 6 times over the mic, I just walked out.

Then went off to Linden VW. [/quot

I bought my car from Metro Honda, and I thought they were pretty decent as car dealers go.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 6:11

Re: Difeo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
There are many dealership tricks. Here are a few.

They will try to keep you there as long as possible. It has been proven that an average buyer's resistance weakens as they sit. Especially at the end of the transaction when they sometimes try to add on all the misc. charges. Many people want to just be done with it at that point. Remember these folks are pros so don't give them even more of an advantage by playing by their rules. Set a time limit upon arrival. Tell them and stick to it. Remind them while there that you will be leaving at this very specific time.

They will try to get the keys to your trade in so they can supposedly check it out. Handing over the keys prevents you from walking out. Never prematurely give over the keys
to your car during negotiations.

They will usually try to get you to sign something even if it is meaningless, such as a silly lowball offer to bring to their "boss". This is a psych trick. They are trying to get you conditioned to keep saying yes as often as possible. They want you to believe that the salesperson is really trying hard to work for you. That he is your friend. It is business and although friendly he is not your friend. He works and is accountable to his boss not you.

Negotiate all aspects of the deal. Many dealers will lose money on auto purchase price or trade just to hammer you on financing.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 5:56
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Re: Difeo
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I'd say treat all dealers the same. Scumbags.

When buying a new car i always suggest calling for a quote for the car you want and then haggle from there. Your dream car will always be there so never let yourself get into a high pressure situation.

Try Toyota with all their negative press they probably want to unload a few cars.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 5:05

Difeo
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak to the buying experience, but service at Difeo Ford is horrible. Any dealer can sell you a car, but when you need service, a good dealer will take care of you. Difeo, not so much.

I was relatively new to the area, own a Ford (2 yrs old, under warranty at the time) and needed a regular service; tire rotation, lube and oil change. My model has had issues with the factory Continental tires (they replaced them at 20k miles under recall) and I wanted to have an alignment done before a road trip.

The nearest dealer was Difeo. As former Ford employee, I had a friend check in with the internal dealer rankings which showed them as having a better than average rating. I called ahead to organize an appointment, being very specific with what I wanted to have done and the day I wanted to have it done. They said it was fine and, specifically, the alignment table was open.

When I arrived, I sat for over an hour watching my car sit in their indoor shop, not moving. I finally got up and asked the service manager what was going on, had a painful conversation and was finally told the alignment table was booked for the day. I opted for an oil change and to get out. Another hour and a half later, they wrapped up the work and got me out.

Slow, dishonest and ridiculously expensive. Never again.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
I have been going to Walsh Dodge for pre-owned cars for 10 years and they have been great! They are no longer Dodge but are soon to be Hudson Kia. They will be selling new Kia's and pre owned everything.
I will continue to send my family and friends!

Posted on: 2010/4/27 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmark526 wrote:

I second that recommendation. Saved 4500 dollars.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/10 22:33
From not far off the beaten PATH
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Everyone! At least now I know where NOT to go!

More specifically, we are hoping to buy a new car, if not, then a certified used. We are only looking at Ford right now, so if anyone has had a really good experience at a Ford dealer in the area, please let me know.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2010/4/26 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
We didnt buy a car there, but had a really good experience at the Nissan dealer.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Tried the Nissan & Toyota dealerships. I think they are run by the same person since very similar.

Nissan was only interested in showing the most expensive cars. Toyota, after the receptionist called for a rep at least 6 times over the mic, I just walked out.

Then went off to Linden VW.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I too have bought a car from Metro Honda, everything went fine however it did take most of the afternoon and night.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I bought my pre-owned Ford Explorer at the Honda dealership. They were very nice, no pressure at all, but it literally took allllll day to get out of there.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 18:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017