Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Teppan Bar and Grill
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Use caution when you go here, particularly if you use a groupon. They ripped us off.

While the groupon does say "cannot combine with other offers," that (to me at least) means you can't double up with other coupons or whatnot.

What they do is change the menu prices for the daily specials, because they call that "other offers". Menu said $5 appetizers? Nope, if you use a groupon it's $9. So on and so forth.

Of course they will not actually tell you this, you'll just notice the prices are wrong on your bill and when you ask THEN they'll tell you.

If this does happen to you, complain to groupon and they'll refund your money.

I noticed that others experienced price adjustments (albiet a few cents) in earlier posts so this probably should not have been a surprise to me.

Please though if you do have this experience let groupon know because this is how they track non-compliant vendors.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I highly recommend the Hello Kitty cocktail.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Teppan is currently offering a groupon
http://www.groupon.com/r/uu824939

Teppan Bar & Grill ? The Waterfront
$20 for $40 Worth of Japanese Grill Cuisine

I went there for lunch and with this plan to go again. It was good. Not like OH MY GOSH but we got the Hibachi which is always fun with a group, etc.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Good point, Binky. Still awful.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
the music is just awful. Bad AM radio music. ...distracting.

It's part of the authentic Japanese experience, unfortunately. It's similar to what has become known a J-pop.

No doubt better than the background music playing the last time I ate in a Japanese restaurant in New Paltz.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Went there with family of four for the first time last night. We ordered off the regular menu -- not seated at the hibachis. I had two delicious sushi items -- one was thin sliced fluke in a ponzu sauce, the other was cucumber wrapped eel and avocado. Both were fresh and delicious. One son had beef and seafood kebob terriyaki, the other some kind of sushi roll. We all enjoyed the food, some of which was quite beautiful and creative, and plan to return.

Two negatives -- first, the music is just awful. Bad AM radio music. Second, the food should be brought out for all diners at the same time, not in drips and drabs. The second was no big deal. The first was distracting.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Michellesharon, if you can't speak to sushi or hibachi, what did you have??

Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Michellesharon wrote:
I have to say that I had high hopes seeing as it is close to where I live.... My boyfriend and I both thought it was terrible. We were there for hudson restaurant week and selected items from their set menu. I can't speak to hibachi or sushi but everything was clearly frozen, defrosted and put on our plates. Reading these other comments makes me want to give it one more shot.... but we spent over $100 and we expect more than frozen seafood.

I'm a drinker, and I make no judgment, but if you and your boyfriend spend $100 there, half your bill was booze. I've been there and I've seen the food before it's grilled. Looked relatively fresh. Why don't you try heading there sober and follow up for us. Eh?

Posted on: 2010/10/28 23:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/28 21:30
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say that I had high hopes seeing as it is close to where I live.... My boyfriend and I both thought it was terrible. We were there for hudson restaurant week and selected items from their set menu. I can't speak to hibachi or sushi but everything was clearly frozen, defrosted and put on our plates. Reading these other comments makes me want to give it one more shot.... but we spent over $100 and we expect more than frozen seafood.

Posted on: 2010/10/28 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
I went there for lunch during restaurant week. It was quite a good deal, if I remember. I didn't notice any rounding. I think they also have a happy hour.

I could name 2 or three places in JC that round up to the nearest quarter. I avoid these places.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 6:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
we also went there last night.... our cook was pretty good and had some good tricks (some of the standards - volcano, japanese fire fighter, catching stuff in the mouth but some stuff I have never seen before to crack the eggs) he also was good at reading his table and made our presentation a little more pg-13 (using lemon halves to make a woman) since our table was all couples

They start w a small serving of edemame right when you sit down (which is nice bc you have to wait for the table to fill up - we were the last couple though so it wasn't too long for us maybe 30 min between sitting and him starting to cook). We got a roll (king tuna) and it was very good - a bit on the spicy side but nice. The soup/ salad was choose one only - I got the soup and it was ok, salad seemed pretty standard. For dinner we got the pick 2 combos w brown rice - the rest of our table got fried rice and that looks really good (he gave us a little taste). Dinner was good - the steak was done correctly (med rare for him and med for me) and seafood (shrimp & scallops) were also nicely seasoned. It took longer than usual because one guy at our table was "allergic" to onions all of a sudden so he had to make 2 versions of everything.

The one negative was that no one came to get a drink order (or get us water) for about 10 min though there were lots of workers milling about - even once we ordered it I think it took a little longer than it should have to reach us (another 10 min or so but again there was at least 5 staff people within eye shot). There was a lot of staff but it didn't seem like anyone was really a good waiter/tress and that one or two good people could have easily replaced the 5 people that were just hanging out. Water was generally refilled promptly though which was nice.

We would definitely go again (there was a 2 birthdays near us and it seemed like a fun place for that)

Posted on: 2010/8/21 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Went for the first time last night.
Lot of fun. Good food and service.
Not cheap but not outrageous.
No rounding up or down.
Nice addition to JC.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there tonight with my dad. Strange place. The bar/lounge/dining area has some pretty bad acoustics, as just four people having a standard good time at the bar was heard throughout the dining area. The KTU dance music is also somewhat off-putting for diners who want to simply enjoy food and are paying a little bit extra for a "nicer" place. Perhaps once the upstairs is open, there'll be a quieter place for people to enjoy a more peaceful meal.

That aside, the food was pretty decent. My dad had the shrimp teryaki and a white wine and I had the miso skirt steak and a 2pc of shrimp sushi with some house sake. My dad really liked his, the sauce wasn't too sweet like a lot of teryaki can be. My steak was a bit overcooked (I asked for medium, got medium-well) but decent. Portions on both dishes were large. One interesting non-Japanese thing they do is mashed potatoes. Both of us got a serving, which is kind of weird for teryaki. Between that, the white rice and some very crispy fried noodle, there's a lot of starch on the plate.

Service there was excellent. I didn't get more than a couple of sips deep on my water until someone showed up to refill it. This happened at least five times. Did help that we were there a bit early - we got there at 6ish so there weren't too many other diners, but still much better than most.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 9:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped by for lunch. It was very good!

I ordered the:

Katsu Don
breaded fried pork, egg & onion

It was really good. Ive never had it before but its similar to an egg fu young, but with breaded pork minus the gravy. very tasty and it was a lot of food!

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Any eye candy for us ladies?? Either way, I'm pumped to try this place!

Posted on: 2010/5/12 1:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 16:21
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tamard wrote:
Quote:

lindsbinz22 wrote:
I had dinner here Friday night... We arrived just before 7:30 and there was about a 30 minute wait for the hibachi for a party of 4. Sat at the bar and had some drinks (highly recommend the Dragon Bite!!) before dinner. The food was fantastic. Service was a bit slow at times - usually a bit of a wait for a new drink. BUT, I noticed the same thing on my receipt - the "Rounding Fee". I called and asked about it... According to the gentleman I spoke with, their computer system isn't recognizing pennies. He said if it's 1 or 2, it rounds down, 3 or 4 rounds up. Okay, but my bill ended in 2 and it rounded up? He said they have someone coming in on Tuesday (5/11) to take a look at it and fix it. He was apologetic so I want to believe him but I'm curious if this will continue to happen?

Really, you actually called inquiring about 3 cents? People who are worried about < nickle should not allowed to go out to dinner and enjoy themselves.

That's my 2 cents...

I only called after reading the comments here about the Rounding Fee. Honestly, normally, I doubt I'd even notice it on the bill. I was just curious if they knew about it or if it was intentional. Would it keep me away? Probably not but I might adjust my tip accordingly. If they take 3 cents from EVERY bill, imagine how much free, unearned money they're stealing from customers??

Posted on: 2010/5/12 1:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 6:06
Group:
Registered Users
me and some buddies hit up this spot Teppan Friday night and it was great. We had a few drinks at the bar before heading over to have hibachi. The food came in good portion size and the chef we had definitely did a great deal entertaining us. We been to a few hibachi places but in my opinion the chefs here are genuinely funny and not cheesy like other places. Be sure to order their hibachi Filet Mignon cause the price is definitely worth it.

ps..there are lots of eye candies around in the joint, from the cute hostess and bartender to the ladies sitting around us..awesome spot to mingle.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
To me it would just be about the principle. If they can't be bothered with pennies they should be ones ones to eat the cost.

Posted on: 2010/5/10 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

lindsbinz22 wrote:
I had dinner here Friday night... We arrived just before 7:30 and there was about a 30 minute wait for the hibachi for a party of 4. Sat at the bar and had some drinks (highly recommend the Dragon Bite!!) before dinner. The food was fantastic. Service was a bit slow at times - usually a bit of a wait for a new drink. BUT, I noticed the same thing on my receipt - the "Rounding Fee". I called and asked about it... According to the gentleman I spoke with, their computer system isn't recognizing pennies. He said if it's 1 or 2, it rounds down, 3 or 4 rounds up. Okay, but my bill ended in 2 and it rounded up? He said they have someone coming in on Tuesday (5/11) to take a look at it and fix it. He was apologetic so I want to believe him but I'm curious if this will continue to happen?

Really, you actually called inquiring about 3 cents? People who are worried about < nickle should not allowed to go out to dinner and enjoy themselves.

That's my 2 cents...

Posted on: 2010/5/10 14:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 16:21
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
In the troll's defense, that does seem a bit bizarre.. I mean, as others have said, why not just round down and/or leave the odd # of cents on the bill and then when you bring change, do the rounding then? It's kind of silly to explicitly put the rounding line on the bill itself.

A bill is supposed to detail the things your ordered/consumed at the restaurant, so "rounding" has no place on a bill... (my opinion of course...others may differ)

As for the merits of the place, I can't wait to go...

Posted on: 2010/5/4 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Mr JCI and I finally tried Teppan last week.

Prices were reasonable, service was very attentive (never saw my glass of water half full, nor any garbage from sugar packets, etc on our table -- there was always someone swooping in to take care of those things) and polite (they screwed up my spider roll and three people came by to apologize). Unfortunately, the food was mediocre at best. We'll stick to Honshu for sushi in JC, and Wild Fusion for green tea ice cream (we prefer ours dark, gritty and a touch bitter), though we may go back to Teppan to try their hibachi.

PS: Didn't notice if they rounded up our bill, but since we tend to tip generously anyway, this wouldn't have bothered us

Posted on: 2010/5/4 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/12 17:21
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
This is an excellent and extremely subtle trolling attempt.

Hilarious, too. Over 4 cents! Haha!

And you got replies, so well done!

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Went there on the 29 April and noticed the roundup also, but I typically pay cash at restaurants, so..I did not care for the pennies back, they can keep it. But, it would be nice to round down LOL. Anyway, on a scale of 1-5 . . 5 being the best..I give the food at 3.75, the beer selection and price a 4.35 and the service and atmosphere a 4.6.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
I've never seen that before, but if it bugs you, you could just adjust your tip. To make more of a statement maybe leave the tip all in change with gratuitous use of pennies.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/14 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
It's not the amount, it's the principle.  And, no I did not try to exaggerate the amount by a penny.  They did not round up to the nearest 4 cent, they rounded up to the nearest nickel.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jlee8 wrote: My wife and I decided to try Teppan yesterday. The food was OK, but we got a little surprise when the check came.  Apparently, they decided that they should round up our bill to the nearest nickel. Needless to say, we will never be going back.

A thread from Chowhound on:Rounding up a bill.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jlee8 wrote: My wife and I decided to try Teppan yesterday. The food was OK, but we got a little surprise when the check came.  Apparently, they decided that they should round up our bill to the nearest nickel. Needless to say, we will never be going back.

Over 4 cents? Seriously? Holy crap you are ridiculous! The lengths to which people will go to express righteous indignation never ceases to amaze me. You even scanned your receipt AND rounded up your complaint by a cent. WOW. If this is all you can find to complain about in your life, I would suggest finding some perspective. I went to Teppan the other night and had the full song and dance hibachi experience. It was enjoyable and tasty. When I go back, I'll just stick with to the regular dinner without the show.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/14 20:37
Group:
Registered Users
I did ask for the manager and they told me it was to get me to $0.70.  They did not even offer to take it away as a one time courtesy.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/23 17:02
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious to know if you talked to the manager about it once you discovered the roundup on the bill?

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:04

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017