Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Drivers Must Come to Full Stop at NJ Crosswalks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Today, I was crossing Grove/Manila at 1st street. There is a painted crosswalk there.

I saw 5 cars coming a block away. I decided to test the new law and stepped of the curb, obviously looking to cross the street.

None of the 5 cars stopped. The last one was JCPD.

Posted on: 2010/4/9 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed. In exchange for all of those burdens, you get to go much faster than us pedestrians, and that's all.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

Dwtnguys wrote:
The extent of the punishment by law should be in relation to the extent that each has the responsibility for the activity they are involved in. It is obvious that a moving vehicle can cause a great deal more damage hitting something than a person on foot can cause.

If I, as a driver, pose a greater potential for damage, bear a greater extent of responsibility, and risk a greater punishment, shouldn't I get the right of way in exchange for all those burdens?

No.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chainsawhand wrote:
Quote:

Dwtnguys wrote:
The extent of the punishment by law should be in relation to the extent that each has the responsibility for the activity they are involved in. It is obvious that a moving vehicle can cause a great deal more damage hitting something than a person on foot can cause.

If I, as a driver, pose a greater potential for damage, bear a greater extent of responsibility, and risk a greater punishment, shouldn't I get the right of way in exchange for all those burdens?

No.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 20:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dwtnguys wrote:

Posted on: 2010/4/2 20:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
There needs to be a change in the driving culture around here, and it's not going to happen just by asking nicely. Drivers simply aren't afraid to run / roll through stop signs because the chance of getting in any kind of serious trouble for it is virtually nil. Same goes for jaywalking.

Quote:

Instead of complaing about the other, how do we coexist in a crowded city where everybody wants to arrive safely?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 17:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Driving a car is a priviledge and can have serious/deadly consequences if not respected regarding laws AND common sense. When you are behind the wheel of something carrying that much weight and force you are responsible to control that with all your attention. We live in a populated world where drivers have to share space alongside others. I don't understand the reasoning by those drivers that think when they are in a highly populated area (for example downtown JC) that pedestrians should get out of their way so they can get to wherever they are faster. (.. I have been nearly run over many times (crossing WITH the right of way signal) by those turning from Columbus on to Marin heading north when they get stopped by the light 2 blocks up...as I walk by them from the sidewalk they always pretend they don't see me passing them on foot...on the sidewalk).
Pedestrians also need to understand that there are drivers who have no regard for the laws, are distracted on cell phones or are in a hurry. There are those pedestrians who also think crosswallks are for decoration and cross where ever they feel. That is the chance they take and need to accept the consequences if there is an accident.

How do we encourage BOTH drivers AND pedestrians to respect the rights and priviledges of the other? We have laws that are intended to protect us all from harm that should be enforced by those the taxpayer funds. The extent of the punishment by law should be in relation to the extent that each has the responsibility for the activity they are involved in. It is obvious that a moving vehicle can cause a great deal more damage hitting something than a person on foot can cause.

I love driving and I love taking a walk through town. There should not be a "drivers" vs "pedestrians" attitude. Instead of complaing about the other, how do we coexist in a crowded city where everybody wants to arrive safely?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 16:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/21 0:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aldencal wrote:
The new law is for motorist and pedestrians alike...

"Motorists who violate the law face a $200 fine, plus court costs, and 2 points on their license. They can also be subject to 15 days of community service and insurance surcharges.

Pedestrians may also be cited under state law for failing to use due care when crossing. The law requires them to obey pedestrian signals and use crosswalks at signalized intersections as well as yield the right of way to traffic if they are not crossing within a crosswalk or at an intersection. Failure to comply with the law carries a $54 fine, plus court costs."

$200, 2 points, 15 days community service, and insurance surcharges vs. $54 and court costs?

It obvious that they're trying enforce these laws fairly.

I don't think I will ever understand the logic of giving a pedestrian the right of way.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:
PBW wrote: Quote:
heights wrote: Quote:
Hamparkvet wrote: This is your typical half a minute at most intersections in downtown JC.
I like the food delivery guy on a bicycle driving up a one way street. If ever there is an accident make sure the police check to see if a cell phone was involved.
Not only does the first car not stop, it arrived at the intersection at the exact same time as other car to its right. In that case the other car has the right of way. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this new law will change much. If they enforced the the previous laws, they wouldn't "need" the new one.
That guy in the silver Volvo wagon wagon is gonna kill somebody someday. He lives in the neighborhood and drives like that all the time. He constantly speeds around the area and always jumps the Stop signs.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
heights wrote: Quote:
Hamparkvet wrote: This is your typical half a minute at most intersections in downtown JC.
I like the food delivery guy on a bicycle driving up a one way street. If ever there is an accident make sure the police check to see if a cell phone was involved.
Not only does the first car not stop, it arrived at the intersection at the exact same time as other car to its right. In that case the other car has the right of way. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt this new law will change much. If they enforced the the previous laws, they wouldn't "need" the new one.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Oh hey look the bike in the video is going the wrong way down a one way street. Plus I don't see a stop sign on the street in question.

Let me help you. The Stop sign reads MULTI WAY. The crosswalk is marked with a solid white line. You can explain yourself to the officer who is writing you a ticket. Thank you for helping us prove our point about bad drivers who don't know the laws.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 14:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
sinik wrote: I hope you drive less angry than you blog

I hope you walk with more awareness than you debate. How does one cross the street with their head lodged in their ass anyway?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 12:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:
The pedestrians are as bad as the drivers here.

My friend Dirt McGirt is absolutely correct with this statement.

You guys have no clue. I have been 50% or more across the crosswalk (with the lights in my favor) and had drivers turn into the street I was crossing, without looking, causing me to take evasive action.

One guy even stopped and came at me again, obviously thinking that I should back up and let him pass in front of me. It was in a clearly marked crosswalk. The guy was turning out of another street where there was a stop sign. There were no parked cars obscuring his view.

Unfortunately these are regular occurrences. Some of you people clearly don't walk much or you would have experienced something similar yourselves.

Quote:

Drivers can?t always stop on a dime when that happens ?last minute? --- even at 25MPH which is the limit for most of these streets.

Most drivers are not driving at 25mph. On Jersey or Marin (where it is clearly posted), they are driving considerably faster. In the case of Marin at 8th and 9th most of the drivers are hitting 50mph.

I drive and I walk and I agree that there are as many bad pedestrians as there are bad drivers. I try to be a courteous driver as well as a courteous pedestrian. I am not going to cross the street unless I can tell that the driver can see me. This includes a driver who could possibly make a turn where I am crossing, there can be a blind spot in the car where they might not be able to see me at an angle.

I am going to have to look up this law and read it so I understand. Currently, when I am turning on Washington Street in Hoboken every morning from Observer, I get a green arrow and the pedestrians have a Don't Walk sign. They step into lane one, but I turn into lane three. They usually get the point then that they are not to cross because we have the right of way. But my confusion is, if they are showing intent by stepping into lane one, I can no longer continue? I have to stop and impede traffic and let all the jaywalkers cross?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
Oh hey look the bike in the video is going the wrong way down a one way street. Plus I don't see a stop sign on the street in question.

It is a 3 or 4 way stop. It's hard to see the stop sign but I think this it what it states.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 9:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Individuals might know what STOP and YIELD means, but PEOPLE IN GENERAL are stupid, so we need to cater for stupid people.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 7:35
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
This law is a joke. Fact is in Jersey City, even when to try to be nice and let someone pass, it adds on an extra 10 seconds as they try to figure out if they should or should not cross. How about common sense.

Pedestrians will never get a fine and drivers will suffer.

Figures, Corzine had to sign it.

What's next? Stop for buses instead of yielding because yield isn't definitive enough?

Posted on: 2010/4/2 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/2 4:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:
You guys have no clue. I have been 50% or more across the crosswalk (with the lights in my favor) and had drivers turn into the street I was crossing, without looking, causing me to take evasive action.

I don?t think anyone was absolving idiot drivers ---- but there are equally ample times when it?s a careless pedestrian. While yours may indeed have been the case of the former and not the latter, your individual experience is not the gold standard. It?s not always all about you.

Well when I am trying to recount what happened to me, it is pretty much all about me.

Quote:

Quote:
Some of you people clearly dont walk much or you would have experienced something similar yourselves.

Yes, you nailed it ---- almost fifteen years in this city, and I rarely walk anywhere! Friggin' moron.

Here 'much' means 'a lot'. I recently got rid of my car so now I walk everywhere in JC. That's what I would call 'much' or 'a lot'. I didn't say you rarely walk anywhere, did I? I am sure you walk less than me and maybe a lot less than me

Quote:

Quote:
Most drivers are not driving at 25mph.

That?s absolutely correct ---- and if you take the time to re-read my words carefully, you will see that I specifically phrased it as ?EVEN AT 25mph which is the limit for most of these streets? --- I wrote that realizing that most don?t honor it; also as a subtle reminder for such drivers who may be on this blog; and also to affirm that one cannot stop on a dime even at that speed limit when a pedestrian jumps out last minute ----- your flawless adherence to pedestrian rules notwithstanding.

There's absolutely no admission in what you originally wrote that most drivers are not keeping to the speed limit. I do thank you for conceding the point now, though.

I hope you drive less angry than you blog

Posted on: 2010/4/2 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
lol i know who the delivery guy on the bike is.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 4:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I don?t think anyone was absolving idiot drivers ---- but there are equally ample times when it?s a careless pedestrian. While yours may indeed have been the case of the former and not the latter, your individual experience is not the gold standard. It?s not always all about you.

Quote:
Some of you people clearly dont walk much or you would have experienced something similar yourselves.

Yes, you nailed it ---- almost fifteen years in this city, and I rarely walk anywhere! Friggin' moron.

Quote:
Most drivers are not driving at 25mph.

That?s absolutely correct ---- and if you take the time to re-read my words carefully, you will see that I specifically phrased it as ?EVEN AT 25mph which is the limit for most of these streets? --- I wrote that realizing that most don?t honor it; also as a subtle reminder for such drivers who may be on this blog; and also to affirm that one cannot stop on a dime even at that speed limit when a pedestrian jumps out last minute ----- your flawless adherence to pedestrian rules notwithstanding.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sinik wrote:
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:

One guy even stopped and came at me again, obviously thinking that I should back up and let him pass in front of me. It was in a clearly marked crosswalk. The guy was turning out of another street where there was a stop sign. There were no parked cars obscuring his view.

Unfortunately these are regular occurrences. Some of you people clearly dont walk much or you would have experienced something similar yourselves.

Quote:

Drivers can?t always stop on a dime when that happens ?last minute? --- even at 25MPH which is the limit for most of these streets.

Most drivers are not driving at 25mph. On Jersey or Marin (where it is clearly posted), they are driving considerably faster. In the case of Marin at 8th and 9th most of the drivers are hitting 50mph.

We have no clue? Even if you only drive, you know how bad the other drivers are. The pedestrians are awful as well, though.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately these are regular occurrences. Some of you people clearly dont walk much or you would have experienced something similar yourselves.

Quote:

Posted on: 2010/4/2 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
When I'm in a crosswalk, I only stop for POS cars. I mean, if you are driving a nice import and you hit me, well I know you at least have the book value of the car.

Now I'm only going to yield to people who look like they have good lawyers.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2010/4/1 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
When I'm in a crosswalk, I only stop for POS cars. I mean, if you are driving a nice import and you hit me, well I know you at least have the book value of the car.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:

More than a few pedestrians seem to have this ?let?s play chicken? attitude with oncoming cars, which manifests itself one of two ways:

1). By crossing mid-block where they have no crosswalk whatsoever (and purposely taking their dear sweet time crossing just to break your balls even though they are jaywalking).

2). By obliviously stepping out into a crosswalk from what they should know to be a totally blind spot for the driver of the oncoming car (eg: from behind a large vehicle on the corner or, in fact, any vehicle that is parked too close to the corner). Drivers can?t always stop on a dime when that happens ?last minute? --- even at 25MPH which is the limit for most of these streets.

My only hope is that the JCPD --- if indeed they step up on enforcement ---- will recognize (and enforce) based on the understanding that there is responsibility to met by both parties. Pedestrians are at fault just as often as are drivers.

The best thing that one can do to avoid car accidents is not to drive like an A-hole. Similarly, if you're a pedestrian who doesn't want to get run over, then don't walk like an A-hole.

Tonnele Ave and Indian Square in particular.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

trambone wrote:
What happened to looking both ways? This law seems to empower he entitled and those who evolution keeps forgetting to take care of.

one word: cell phone

Which one? Cell or phone?

Posted on: 2010/4/1 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
This is your typical half a minute at most intersections in downtown JC.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 19:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

More than a few pedestrians seem to have this ?let?s play chicken? attitude with oncoming cars, which manifests itself one of two ways:

1). By crossing mid-block where they have no crosswalk whatsoever (and purposely taking their dear sweet time crossing just to break your balls even though they are jaywalking).

2). By obliviously stepping out into a crosswalk from what they should know to be a totally blind spot for the driver of the oncoming car (eg: from behind a large vehicle on the corner or, in fact, any vehicle that is parked too close to the corner). Drivers can?t always stop on a dime when that happens ?last minute? --- even at 25MPH which is the limit for most of these streets.

My only hope is that the JCPD --- if indeed they step up on enforcement ---- will recognize (and enforce) based on the understanding that there is responsibility to met by both parties. Pedestrians are at fault just as often as are drivers.

The best thing that one can do to avoid car accidents is not to drive like an A-hole. Similarly, if you're a pedestrian who doesn't want to get run over, then don't walk like an A-hole.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
What about cell phones? We have laws for drivers for that. Pedestrians who need to stop and text or make a call need to be careful. Only pedestrians I watch for are children.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/4/1 18:23

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017