Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Hamilton Park - Pet Free Zone Public Hearing - March 30, 6pm City Hall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nikyrob wrote:
I don't have (or like) dogs or kids - is it too late for them to add some sort of cat run? My cat is bored and not getting enough socialization sitting around in the apartment all day.

Dear Nikyrob,
Thank You.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 19:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have (or like) dogs or kids - is it too late for them to add some sort of cat run? My cat is bored and not getting enough socialization sitting around in the apartment all day.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 18:51
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
I think that it is statements like the one below that drives us sane people rather crazy. Really jcnight? I guess there is always one in the group that has to take the ball and go home and ruin it for everyone.....

on a lighter note, I am hopeful that the park does open so we can enjoy it THIS summer..... any news on THAT?

Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Don't let Vigilante drive you crazy people. He is way out numbered in this park issue. Plus the park is a done deal. It's all just politics and petitions and etc are just sitting on someone's desk right now soaking up coffee.

I am looking forward to enjoying our new park with and with out my dogs. Hope I can put out a chair, play with the kids, etc and have no dog crap all over us. That is a change that I am looking forward to!!

If you people want to let your dogs run around then YOUR waseting the cops valuable time beacuse there are plenty of people that are going to be calling them. Hopefully they will get sick and tired of it and arrest your asses and take your dogs away!

Then you need to get over your self. What part drives you crazy? The part thats true or the part that you just don't want to face? Yes the latest is the park will open for Memorial Day.

And just a note: If you think letting dogs run around off leash in Hamilton park is sane than you need to make a Dr's appointment!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 3:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
I think that it is statements like the one below that drives us sane people rather crazy. Really jcnight? I guess there is always one in the group that has to take the ball and go home and ruin it for everyone.....

on a lighter note, I am hopeful that the park does open so we can enjoy it THIS summer..... any news on THAT?

Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Don't let Vigilante drive you crazy people. He is way out numbered in this park issue. Plus the park is a done deal. It's all just politics and petitions and etc are just sitting on someone's desk right now soaking up coffee.

I am looking forward to enjoying our new park with and with out my dogs. Hope I can put out a chair, play with the kids, etc and have no dog crap all over us. That is a change that I am looking forward to!!

If you people want to let your dogs run around then YOUR waseting the cops valuable time beacuse there are plenty of people that are going to be calling them. Hopefully they will get sick and tired of it and arrest your asses and take your dogs away!

Posted on: 2010/4/14 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Of course, there are things we'd all love to do but can't/won't because we have respect and consideration for our neighbors. I just don't see why compromise seems to be so out of the question for some.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I just don't get why dogs would need access to the entire park and why having certain areas off limits to them is so controversial. As long as there is a balance and I can sit with my dog in some areas of the park, sounds perfectly fine to me.

It's controversial because some dog owners like their dogs to roam freely throughout the park and/or to throw ball with them across an entire quadrant of the park. I'm sure you witnessed this before the park closed for renovations.

Posted on: 2010/4/12 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
I just don't get why dogs would need access to the entire park and why having certain areas off limits to them is so controversial. As long as there is a balance and I can sit with my dog in some areas of the park, sounds perfectly fine to me.

agreed. my dog seems perfectly happy even though he's not allowed on the couch. bet he'll be content enough with the areas of the park he CAN visit, to be too concerned with those he can't. know why? because he's a dog.

see y'all at the (dog-friendly corner of the) park!

Amen to that!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/12 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:

agreed. my dog seems perfectly happy even though he's not allowed on the couch. bet he'll be content enough with the areas of the park he CAN visit, to be too concerned with those he can't. know why? because he's a dog.

see y'all at the (dog-friendly corner of the) park!

Posted on: 2010/4/12 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/12 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/11 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
A no-pet area inside a park strikes me as extremely logical and desirable.
Perhaps I might feel differently if EVERYONE had a dog, but everyone doesn't.

So I applaud Hamilton Park area residents for striking a compromise.

Posted on: 2010/4/8 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
stagnan,

There is no proposed legislation to ban all dogs from the park entirely. Only a section of the green areas will be dog free. There will be plenty of space for leashed dogs to hang out with their owners in addition to the dog runs which are abundantly large.

Furthermore most people get that there are a lot of dog owners that pick up after their dogs. So all dog owners do not have a bad reputation. But there are certainly enough instances of dog owners letting dogs crap around to make people feel uncomfortable using the park to lay on the ground.

Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:

On a non ass note.... as a dog owner that DOES pick up after my dog, I do agree that it sucks when there are thoughtless dog owners that give the rest of us a bad rap. But for the one pile of crap you see on the sidewalk, think of the many of us that DO pick up after our dogs. So you are going to take away everything for that one jerk? *snark alert* It's like saying you would drop the bomb on an entire country for a couple bad people. Look, most of us WILL use the dog run, but for those dogs that could care less or should not be in the run, are they not allowed to get their exercise? Not all dogs get along, especially if those dog runs are tiny. Look around the Hamilton Park area, there are dogs. They are not going away. Now, just keep in mind that we all need to work together, but to ban all dogs because of a few bad owners is bad.

[quote]

Posted on: 2010/4/8 1:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am starting this off by saying I have a snarky comment. You know that EVERYONE POOPS and PEES right? I guarantee you that you can't ban the homeless or the drunken people.... even the squirrels from doing this. *Told you I was going to be an ass....*

On a non ass note.... as a dog owner that DOES pick up after my dog, I do agree that it sucks when there are thoughtless dog owners that give the rest of us a bad rap. But for the one pile of crap you see on the sidewalk, think of the many of us that DO pick up after our dogs. So you are going to take away everything for that one jerk? *snark alert* It's like saying you would drop the bomb on an entire country for a couple bad people. Look, most of us WILL use the dog run, but for those dogs that could care less or should not be in the run, are they not allowed to get their exercise? Not all dogs get along, especially if those dog runs are tiny. Look around the Hamilton Park area, there are dogs. They are not going away. Now, just keep in mind that we all need to work together, but to ban all dogs because of a few bad owners is bad.

Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
I came home from work at 11:30pm. I parked on 9th and West Hamilton. Right on the T-intersection of West Hamilton and Pavonia was a big ol' dog dookie.

I will BET my next mortgage payment that it will still be there at dawn on 4/7.

CARELESS dog owners are the reason to blame for the anti-dog sentiment. Sorry, but I want my part of the park to be DOG FREE and poop and pee free.

DOG OWNERS START POLICING EACH OTHER. Say something if you see someone not picking up after their dog.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 22:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Eleanor,

I certainly sympathize with the dog poop problem on the sidewalks. But I don't think this concerns expressed regarding the park emanate from anti-dog sentiment. In fact I'm a dog owner. But your observation of dog crap on the sidewalk most definitely evidences that there are enough dog owners who carelessly let their dogs poop without cleaning it up understandably giving many citizens concern that they consequently can't safely use the park. So designating an area dog free can be the only solution to enable people to enjoy the green areas of the park.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I came home from work at 11:30pm. I parked on 9th and West Hamilton. Right on the T-intersection of West Hamilton and Pavonia was a big ol' dog dookie.

I will BET my next mortgage payment that it will still be there at dawn on 4/7.

CARELESS dog owners are the reason to blame for the anti-dog sentiment. Sorry, but I want my part of the park to be DOG FREE and poop and pee free.

DOG OWNERS START POLICING EACH OTHER. Say something if you see someone not picking up after their dog.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 7:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So we want the new park to be a place where people walk through and NOT use? Like a museum? It's public place where people of the neighborhood should be allowed to use.

Needless to say, the park before was nice. It wasn't all posh and snooty. the biggest problem was that it had trees that were dying and flooding. People complain everything. So in order to make everyone happy, it is making no one happy. "the basketball court is too close to the street" "the dogs can't be in the park" "people can't play any sports in the tennis court besides tennis"

First off, there is not a cricket court.... and I think the people that play cricket (followed my the crew that plays volleyball) makes the area interesting!

Are we going to ban people sitting on the grass or kids playing ball (soccer or baseball)?

I know it's not the crack park that it once was, but let's not lose sight of the fact that it's a PARK. It's for public use. If you want to stroll through some safe gardens, go to the Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn or the Bronx! We just need to remember that it's a place for us all... That is where I want my taxes to go to. To a place where people can enjoy themselves without all these rules....

Posted on: 2010/4/7 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
911 Operator: "Jersey City Police, Operator 54. What is your emergency"?

Caller: "There is a man with a dog on the grass in Hamilton Park".

911 Operator: "I'm sorry, what is your emergency"?

Caller: "Man with a dog on the grass"!!

911 Operator: "Douchebag say what"?

Caller: "What"?

911 Operator: "Nothing. Can you describe the man"?

Caller: "It's a guy with a dog!! Hurry!! We are wasting time"!!

911 Operator: "We'll send a car over RIGHT AWAY".

Caller: "Thank You!! Please Hurry!! It's Horrible"!!!

Posted on: 2010/4/7 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The article misses the point that the department of parks and recreation are in fact designating 50% of the green areas of the park as pet free. The only point in issue is which portion of the park.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
That survey is 5 years old and should be disregarded. As far as numerous attacks on other dogs and people? WTF are they talking about? I have never seen a dog attack a person in that park and have never heard of one in 20+ years. There was a dog a few years ago who attacked 4 dogs but the owner eventually fled under fear of litigation. Besides, if there are all these vicious dogs where do these supporters propose they go? In the dog-run? The so-called supporters are just spreading hysterical misinformation.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The thing that bothers me most about this article is:

First sentence " When the park re-opens in a few months"
WHAT!!!@!@@###@%$%%^$

It's April! What does a few months mean
UGH!

Posted on: 2010/4/6 0:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/20 20:15
Group:
Banned
Half of Hamilton Park may become a pet-free zone when it reopens next month
Monday, April 05, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

When Hamilton Park reopens in a few months, half the park could be designated a pet-free zone.

The Jersey City Department of Public Works has proposed designating 50 percent of the park as pet-free. The department has the ability to restrict up to that amount without the approval of the City Council.

About 15 residents turned out for the hearing held by Public Works Director Rodney Hadley at City Hall Tuesday night.

The majority of the residents, many of them members of the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association, spoke in favor of having the maximum allowed designated pet-free.

Three pet owners however, said it was unfair to restrict their pets to dog runs and not allow the animals on all the open grassy spaces.

The 4.6-acre park - bordered by Ninth and Eighth streets, McWilliams Place and W. Hamilton Place - closed April 30, 2009 for $3.18 million in renovations, including two new dog runs, improved drainage, improved children's play areas, a spray park for children, and renovated tennis courts and basketball courts.

The park is slated to open by Memorial Day.

The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association had pushed for the improvements since 2005 and circulated a survey to gauge what the public wanted.

Of the 259 people who answered the pet question, 90 people said they wanted 20 percent or less of the park to be pet-free; 46 voted for 21 to 30 percent to be pet-free; 24 said 31 to 40 percent should be pet-free; and 99 people said 41 to 50 percent, the maximum allowed without City Council approval, should be pet free.

"I think having the park pet-free is absolutely ludicrous," dog owner Christine Bamberger said at last week's hearing.

But supporters noted that the park has had numerous problems with vicious dogs attacking other dogs and people.

Posted on: 2010/4/5 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
It is unfair that there isn't a larger area for the dogs to be off leash in the area. On a semi related matter is there a rule about keeping cricket out of the tennis courts? Go find a cricket field.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 17:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
The presence of dog owners in the park at all hours of day and night for security is overrated.

I was attacked by a deranged man early in the morning a few years ago as I walked across the park on my way to work. This man started yelling at me and threw a 40 oz bottle at me which fortunately missed. All the dog owners who were there and saw what was happening did NOTHING.

So much for your eyes and ears....

Posted on: 2010/3/31 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
for what it's worth, I love dogs and children (well, most children) but have neither. and I'd really like to enjoy a quiet corner of the park without poop or swings. especially poop.

wish these meetings were held a little later. I don't even leave the office before 6.

Ditto JC,
I would only add that I have both children and dogs and own a local pet care company. I share your sentiments but will add urine to your list of withouts :)

Mary Ann

http://www.jcdogwalker.com/
~ My Pet Care Company ~

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DOGJC/
~ Our Dog Community ~

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NJ572.html
~ Our Local Rescue & Adoptions ~

Posted on: 2010/3/31 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
for what it's worth, I love dogs and children (well, most children) but have neither. and I'd really like to enjoy a quiet corner of the park without poop or swings. especially poop.

wish these meetings were held a little later. I don't even leave the office before 6.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Believe it or not, there are actually people who live in the area who have neither dogs NOR children and don't like either. Still those people have a right to enjoy the park as well but deal with the fact that they have to share the park with their neighbors. So all of this whinning and comparing children to dogs and maintaining the dog area should be as big as the over sized children's play area is absurd. Everyone could maintain their particular interests aren't met. Get over yourself, your dog and your brat.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stagnantartist wrote:
How about those children? Can we have them on leashes too? I see them running in the street and going crazy. I have them bump into my legs as I am walking cause the parents are too busy gossiping......

And what about all those strollers. Those are worse than anything else! Those double wides are out of control. And people, really? You HAVE to bring it inside Basic where there is already no room? Please....

Look, don't put all dog owners as being jerks and I won't lump all children the same way. I know there are a lot of dogs that need bigger runs to get their exercise. They just want to play ball. That is it. I am amazed at the fascist tendencies that are happening about this park, which I am sure I am very much paying for as well. So stop. Please.... stop

The comparison of children to dogs is annoying. Animals are not human. Do I really need to say more?

Your tax dollars or whatever it is that you think you are paying will go to waste if those dogs rip that park lawn to shreds. Open your window and throw your large bills out it would be quicker!
My taxes went up already and they are about to go up again. The trees in the park do not have money growing on them, we all paid/will pay for the park.

Have you seen what jones park and the embankment look like. Hamilton Park can look like that too!
" They just want to play ball" is going to ruin what they just built and we paid for.

All dog owners are not jerks, I am a dog owner and I am not a jerk and neither are some of the people on this thread that i am arguing with. We just have a diffrent way of seeing things.
I would like an opportunity to enjoy this park before the politics of this city force me to move!

I also agree about the strollers in Basic but then again who wants to argue with a new mother that still has hormones the size of a large country running thru her!

As far as fascist tendencies go..... That is a whole other thread

peace

Posted on: 2010/3/31 4:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How about those children? Can we have them on leashes too? I see them running in the street and going crazy. I have them bump into my legs as I am walking cause the parents are too busy gossiping......

And what about all those strollers. Those are worse than anything else! Those double wides are out of control. And people, really? You HAVE to bring it inside Basic where there is already no room? Please....

Look, don't put all dog owners as being jerks and I won't lump all children the same way. I know there are a lot of dogs that need bigger runs to get their exercise. They just want to play ball. That is it. I am amazed at the fascist tendencies that are happening about this park, which I am sure I am very much paying for as well. So stop. Please.... stop

Posted on: 2010/3/31 3:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see how things will change. Jones Park and embankment are used by most dog owners as dog runs. Some folks walk their dogs with no leashes in the neighborhood. My recollection (since it has been sooooooo long since the HP has been opened) is that off leash was early mornings and late in the evening when no one was around to complain. Personally, I walk my dog with a leash and pick up after her (no poops lying around from my four legged friend). I have crossed the "dark side" on occasion and let her off leash to run and play with her friends. No one ever bothered us and we didn't bother anyone.

If anyone wants to use a real dog run, http://www.unioncountynj.org/parks/facilitiesdogpark.html.

3 acres versus the 10 by 10 dog run - what a joke.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/31 2:32