Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Car scratcher in Van Vorst
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:

I find it ironic that the typical consequence is that the offender pays a fee to the State, instead of making the victim whole.

I agree!

I actually think making reparations coupled with mandatory community service (cleaning up other messes in the neighborhood) is the right punishment for most acts of vandalism.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
You can do jail time for Car Scratch Fever.

In New Jersey, criminal mischief is a property damage crime. As the law explains, you could be charged with and possibly found guilty of criminal mischief if you:

Purposely or knowingly damaged someone else?s property, or recklessly or negligently damaged someone else?s property by fire or explosives, or
Purposely, knowingly, or recklessly tampered with someone else?s property so that such tampering endangers someone or some property.
The charge and potential sentence you face depends on the specifics of your case.

NJ Criminal Mischief: 3rd Degree Offense Penalties
Criminal mischief is categorized as a 3rd degree crime if any of the following apply:

If the act knowingly causes loss of $2,000 or more,
If the act causes a substantial interruption or impairment of a public utility, communication system or public transportation,
If the damage involves damaging, defacing, altering, or causes the loss of property used at a research facility or causes disruption to the facility, or
If the act involves tampering with any grave, crypt or mausoleum with the intent of destroying or stealing any part thereof including human remains.
In New Jersey, crimes categorized as 3rd degree carry a potential sentence of up to 3 to 5 years in a state penitentiary.

NJ Criminal Mischief: 4th Degree Offense Penalties

Criminal mischief can be charged as a 4th degree offense under the following circumstances:

If the act knowingly causes loss of between $500 and $2,000,
If it involves damaging, removing, or impairing such air traffic devices as lights, signs, and signals, or
If it involves tampering with any airport, landing field, airport, or aviation facility.
4th degree crimes carry a potential prison sentence of up to 18 months.

NJ Criminal Mischief: Disorderly Person Offense ? Penalties

If you commit criminal mischief and the damage is valued at less than $500, you will be charged with a disorderly person offense. These offenses carry a possible penalty of up to 6 months in county jail.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Erica wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

It's vandalism, and he should be punished because vandalism is a friggin' crime. What is hard to understand about that?

Vandalism is a crime but it's usually a misdemeanor or low-level felony (depending on the value of damage, whether it's federal property, etc) - usual punishments include fines, reparations, probation, and community service - not jail time.

So I think some people are taking issue with the idea that someone should/would be put in jail for vandalism. No one's arguing that it's acceptable or that there shouldn't be consequences.

I find it ironic that the typical consequence is that the offender pays a fee to the State, instead of making the victim whole.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

It's vandalism, and he should be punished because vandalism is a friggin' crime. What is hard to understand about that?

Vandalism is a crime but it's usually a misdemeanor or low-level felony (depending on the value of damage, whether it's federal property, etc) - usual punishments include fines, reparations, probation, and community service - not jail time.

So I think some people are taking issue with the idea that someone should/would be put in jail for vandalism. No one's arguing that it's acceptable or that there shouldn't be consequences.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Interesting comparison to this thread and one a couple of months ago:

On the one hand, crazy homeless guy scratches the finish on cars and some people feel sorry for him and say he should just be left alone.

On the other hand, ghetto gangster thugs tag peoples cars with markers and the firing squad is called for.

Wake up people. The crime (vandalism) is the same and should be dealt with. Whether medical attention for one and prison time for the other doesn't matter, but it should not be ignored.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JC98 wrote:
dear concerned citizen,
the 'car scratcher' has been around for a long time, at least ever since I moved here, which was about 13 years ago. he is harmless, in fact, he can be very nice, you can talk to him, he is not a monster. I highly doubt that he scratches cars, since I have never seen him doing it. Smashing bottles on Christopher Columbus Drive, yes, reading the paper, yes, but nothing violent of any sort.
people with mental illness don't know where to go, because this country doesn't provide help. starting a 'homeless hunt' and locking them away is extremely inhumane and reminds me of germany between 1933 and 1945. I would suggest, if you can't adapt to the Urban life, why not move back to the suburb?

You haven?t seen him car scratch, therefore, you doubt he does it? Are you with him all of the time?

Property damange may be a consequence of urban living, but it doesn?t mean you don?t stop a problem if you can identify it.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
the guy needs to be off the streets. if you see him breaking the law, call the cops. Being an alcoholic, crazy and old doesn't give him any special rights to vandalize property, shit on your stoop, and smash bottles everywhere. Regardless of whether or not he's been here for decades, he has to go.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This stupid thread made me have a dream last night that I encountered the Gordon's Fisherman / Car Scratcher as he smashed a glass bottle on my car, LOL.

Seriously though, I've seen this guy thousands of times over the years, and he HAS seemed generally harmless, until I heard that he scratches things and occasionally flips out at people. I do think he is absolutely crazy, as I've heard him muttering some odd things. And anybody who knows that somebody is absolutely crazy, and not *potentially* dangerous, is crazy themself.

Scratching cars is terribly insonsiderate to say the least, but de-facing beautiful historic buildings is an absolute sin in my opinion.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 14:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
I seen him scratching our building and i chased him off once. The 2nd time got away without a warning. I don't know if vandalizing historic buildings a crime but he does not belong in a prison if he has a mental illness, because without the proper medications once he is out he will do the exact same thing.
He probably does not belong to Anne Klein Forensic Center either but stabilization at a psychiatric unit in our local hospitals probably could be the answer. Well if he is a part of our community lets try to help him get help, even if he doesn't want to (People with a mental illness in their acute stage never want help) If anyone knows his family contact them or if his family is reading this please take him to a hospital before someone hurts him as everyone is not as patient as us JCListers.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Then what do you suggest? We let him keep causing property damage?

Posted on: 2010/3/25 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Call the police and have this guy locked up. It's not a huge leap from damaging property to damaging people.

Really? Is that because you say so or do you have a valid argument to that effect?

If what you say is true, then why don't we lock YOU up? Maybe it's not a huge leap from a callous attitude toward mentally-ill, homeless individuals to callous treatment of those who are sane and able-bodied. Under the wrong conditions, history shows that an otherwise timid citizen can be quite dangerous indeed.

Even if you don't believe that there's not such a huge step between lashing out at property and doing the same to people, he's still damaging property---which is plenty of reason to lock him up. Car scratches---especially if they are more than surface scratches---are very expensive to repair.

It's not that I don?t "believe" you, it's that you're wrong. Further, your claim that simple vandalism is a crime genuinely worthy of imprisonment is somewhat disturbing. It's hardly proportional to the severity of the offense, and really doesn't jive with that cute avatar of yours.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/25 2:18
Group:
Registered Users
Hahaha, I'm so proud. Nearly my first post on JCList and I'm already at Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies.

I'm sure this guy is harmless. He reminds me of Bill, a poor homeless gent from Jay, Maine (used to work in the mill) who my girlfriend took pity on and brought some hot food last winter while he was freezing in Van Vorst Park. A small gesture and not nearly enough to help him fight his disease, whatever it was.

Tony's got a similar disease. I've seen him around, but I was shocked to see him going to town on my old car. To what end does it behoove any us to let Tony run around and scratch cars? Is it artistic? No. Is it therapeutic? If it is, Van Vorst residents should lower their deductible and maybe keep their kids close when taking them to the swingsets. Believe me, if I could get a different job and dump the car, I would.

As for JC98, screw you and your 13 years. Congratulations for getting in at the tail end of the bad times. There's a lady on Mercer who's been around here since 1948, almost long enough to witness those Nazis you seem fond of referring to. She doesn't seem too fond of the "crazies" herself.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Call the police and have this guy locked up. It's not a huge leap from damaging property to damaging people.

Really? Is that because you say so or do you have a valid argument to that effect?

If what you say is true, then why don't we lock YOU up? Maybe it's not a huge leap from a callous attitude toward mentally-ill, homeless individuals to callous treatment of those who are sane and able-bodied. Under the wrong conditions, history shows that an otherwise timid citizen can be quite dangerous indeed.

Even if you don't believe that there's not such a huge step between lashing out at property and doing the same to people, he's still damaging property---which is plenty of reason to lock him up. Car scratches---especially if they are more than surface scratches---are very expensive to repair.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
It's probably true that he's been 99% harmless over the years, but if he's entered a new phase where he's frequently vandalizing people's property, he needs to be off the streets, at least for a while.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 23:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/20 18:26
Group:
Registered Users
"The people in Germany were not scratching cars or defacing property, and were for the most part were productive members of society."

dear caj11: do you really know what you are talking about??

dear brandegee,
I am glad to share my city and my neighborhood with people like you. finally somebody looks out for order and discipline around here. would you like to meet up for a little morning march, goose-step like? you should file more police reports on weaker members of society that's an upright thing to do. I only hope that the cops have something better to do right now.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen him and I think he is quite brilliant. He would talk to me about finance, the credit cards and the borrowing process of banks, and high interest. Someone told me he used to work for the IRS, I don't know if this is true. However, I have seen him scratching walls, other then this he is harmless when confronted to leave your place of business. He probably needs some mental health help and who knows, maybe his scratching is a positive silver lining:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/art-and-mental-illness/

Besides, he's no different then our local politicians scratching numbers off our bank accounts. At least the Gordon Fisherman has an excuse.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 16:42
I am a rock, I am an Island... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries...Simon & Garfunkle

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Well If I saw him damaging any car, including mine, I would surely go after him of call the cops & follow behind this guy to hes caught.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 16:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/24 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
When reporting him to the police, you must be sure that it's the right guy. I've seen two homeless white guys around here- one wears a trench and a hat and has darker hair, the other is bearded with lighter hair. I have never seen the second one in a trench coat, and he seems pretty quiet, just sitting on the park bench. I tried to give him a blanket one cold winter, but he said no thank you because he has nowhere to store it.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:

Posted on: 2010/3/24 15:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
If all of you guys are seeing this happen, why hasnt anyone tackeled him & call the cops.
You all see this & report back what you see but who actually has the balls to confront him & get him put away!
Let me see this going on, he will def be put behind bars!

Good Idea...So I should tackle a guy suffering from possible schizophrenia holding a possible weapon for scratching the side of a building. I would either end up in jail for tackling someone who is not threatening anyone or get myself cut up or worse. I have never seen him scratching a car, which I would say something if I saw that or call the cops. If he does have schizophrenia and refuses to take his meds, then there is little you can do to prevent him from acting out.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LoKo498 wrote:
If all of you guys are seeing this happen, why hasnt anyone tackeled him

Maybe everyone doesn't wake up every morning looking forward to assaulting old homeless people.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
If all of you guys are seeing this happen, why hasnt anyone tackeled him & call the cops.
You all see this & report back what you see but who actually has the balls to confront him & get him put away!
Let me see this going on, he will def be put behind bars!

Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
I recently witnessed him scratching the door to Antheia early one morning (A friday, around 6:15am as I walked to the PATH for work). He was mumbling as he did it as well. It definitely unnerved me a little bit. I later noticed similar scratches on Bar Majestic's front doors.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Tony is a fixture around here. I get worried when I dont see him for a few weeks. I've had numerous talks with him and he is always softly spoken. However, I don't disturb him when he is in one of his moods. I just assume he's drunk and walk past him.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Haven't seen him scratch cars but I see him almost everyday and he likes to smash glass bottles a lot. He is on Columbus breaking glass at least once a week and buys his hooch at the liquor store outside DM on Varick.
The urban legend was that he actually comes from a great deal of money that he supposedly still has and he lives off it stashed somewhere.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 12:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
he is harmless, in fact, he can be very nice, you can talk to him, he is not a monster. I highly doubt that he scratches cars, since I have never seen him doing it.

People on this thread have just told you they saw him scratching cars and other property. What more proof do you need?

Posted on: 2010/3/24 11:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/4/13 1:15
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen and observed this man during the last six years that I've lived here and I've never seen him behave in such a way. He always seems to be minding his own business, doing his own thing and living his life on his terms. Always struck me as a benign guy.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC98 wrote:
dear concerned citizen,
the 'car scratcher' has been around for a long time, at least ever since I moved here, which was about 13 years ago. he is harmless, in fact, he can be very nice, you can talk to him, he is not a monster. I highly doubt that he scratches cars, since I have never seen him doing it. Smashing bottles on Christopher Columbus Drive, yes, reading the paper, yes, but nothing violent of any sort.
people with mental illness don't know where to go, because this country doesn't provide help. starting a 'homeless hunt' and locking them away is extremely inhumane and reminds me of germany between 1933 and 1945. I would suggest, if you can't adapt to the Urban life, why not move back to the suburb?

The people in Germany were not scratching cars or defacing property, and were for the most part were productive members of society. Perhaps putting this person in a mental hospital may seem cruel to you and others, but he isn't doing himself or anyone else any good by being out on the street defacing property and making it unpleasant for others. If he continues the way he is going, he will likely end up dead at some point and then nothing can be done for him. He needs to be medicated and his situation will only grow worse over time if he isn't. People like him are the type that eventually walk into oncoming traffic. There may be many more people like him out there, but if it is known in this relatively small community who he is, it is clear he needs to be helped as well as prevented from causing destruction to the property of others.

Flame me if you wish, but it sounds like this could turn into an ugly situation for everyone involved.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I highly doubt that he scratches cars, since I have never seen him doing it.

I'm sure the OP would be relieved to know when he goes to get his car painted.

And FWIW, I SAW him scratch my fence.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 3:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/25 2:18
Group:
Registered Users
For those interested, I filed a police report. It'll be nice if JCPD can locate him and get him some help before he generates more needless insurance claims.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 2:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017