Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

Re: Flooding in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, Healy and his cronies are only interested in planning for the upcoming St. Patricks Day Parade.

Most people, who have lived here for a few years, know that JC has an archaic, inadequate and over-stressed sewer and run-off system. I believe wood is still used in some of them. So, I find it equally amazing that there are no revolts at city hall demanding an explanation and some sort of plan to fix this horrible flooding menace. If I was paying upwards of 20K a year in DT property taxes and I had these flooding issues mixed with sewage every couple of years I would be calling the media and organizing the citizens to picket City Hall.

I guess, like New Orleans, JC will need their own Katrina to get JC and the State to come out from the cave they are in.

Amazing that Healy has said or proposed nada to alleviate/fix this problem.[/quote]

Posted on: 2010/3/16 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Amazing that Healy has said or proposed nada to alleviate/fix this problem.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 8:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster:

Quote:
Why do you believe that? In my case it's merely returning to the cracked leaky sewer from whence it came. Where do you suggest someone pump thousands of gallons of water? The tiny patches of backyard that only some of us have? What's definitely NOT code is pumping it onto the sidewalk where a freeze would create a nice hazard. It can be run under the sidewalk to the curb, but almost nobody does that.

I spoke with a friend in the biz, and he said in Hudson County you CAN connect with sewage because sanitary and storm drains all are one. i was wrong.

BUT my one neighbor DID connect his pumps to the municipal sewage line AND....he had a GEISER of shit coming out of his toilet during a storm because I guess the sewage couldn't handle all of the water. Maybe we should put our pump water into the gutter and down the storm drain so it doesn't back up our shit water? I don't know.....It's all speculation, but I do know that I am sick of dealing with a flooded basement.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 3:30

Re: Holy flooding Batman....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
as far as CODE, I am 99.9% sure that what is NOT "to code" is pumping water into the SEWER SYSTEM! I think that's illegal.

Why do you believe that? In my case it's merely returning to the cracked leaky sewer from whence it came. Where do you suggest someone pump thousands of gallons of water? The tiny patches of backyard that only some of us have? What's definitely NOT code is pumping it onto the sidewalk where a freeze would create a nice hazard. It can be run under the sidewalk to the curb, but almost nobody does that.

I once again want to clarify the physics of pumping to you all. It takes no more power to pump up a 5 foot hose than to pump into the bottom of a 5 foot deep swimming pool. The height of the water column is all that matters, not the volume of the reservoir. So let's say the water level in the sewer is 3 feet above your basement floor, but the street is 6 feet. It's twice as hard to pump it that 6' up and over than to put the hose into a sewer connection and pump it in against that 3' pressure head.

And BTW, that pressure is 0.433 psi per foot of depth. I've heard people throw around crazy pressure numbers. PSI is the weight of a column 1 inch square. Water is 62.4 lb/cu ft. Divide that by 144 to get 0.433 psi/ft of depth.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Sorry to hear that. We were in your shoes in April '07 but fortunately we were home when the flooding happened and were able to do something about it. In our case, the sump pump pumps water into the sewer system. It was working, but at a certain point, the JC sewer system became backed up and there was no where for the water from our basement to go. The only solution was to pump the water out into the sidewalk, which I did with a portable pump I have.
You'll probably notice that a lot of your neighbors have pipes coming out to the sidewalk from their basements. I don't think this is to code, but it should take care of the problem. Alternatively, you can buy a portable pump, keep your eye on the weather and make sure you're home when this happens. FYI, we had 3" of rain over an 11 hr period. You should benchmark your risk of flooding to the amount of rainfall.

as far as CODE, I am 99.9% sure that what is NOT "to code" is pumping water into the SEWER SYSTEM! I think that's illegal.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/3/15 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
We are first time flood 'victims' - just came back from a wedding for the weekend and had a foot of water, but it was 3 feet (so we're thinking the sump pump gave out). Even the guy who came to get the water out was like, 'Jeez.... I need more equipment.' They are coming back first thing in the AM to take care of it. We're obviously pursuing the insurance claim route as everything is ruined.

Any advice from others on what we may want to do once it's all cleaned up - we know it's important to get dehumidifiers and such. This is our first house (just bought in Oct) and first water issue so any advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that. We were in your shoes in April '07 but fortunately we were home when the flooding happened and were able to do something about it. In our case, the sump pump pumps water into the sewer system. It was working, but at a certain point, the JC sewer system became backed up and there was no where for the water from our basement to go. The only solution was to pump the water out into the sidewalk, which I did with a portable pump I have.

You'll probably notice that a lot of your neighbors have pipes coming out to the sidewalk from their basements. I don't think this is to code, but it should take care of the problem. Alternatively, you can buy a portable pump, keep your eye on the weather and make sure you're home when this happens. FYI, we had 3" of rain over an 11 hr period. You should benchmark your risk of flooding to the amount of rainfall.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
wm0110jp wrote: Video on flooding in Hoboken.. looks like it is near Zephyr Lofts.. the commentary is relatively entertaining... if somewhat insensitive.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0S5Z2faUq8&feature=player_embedded

The you tube video is really not to be missed. Get this guy a TV show!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
We are first time flood 'victims' - just came back from a wedding for the weekend and had a foot of water, but it was 3 feet (so we're thinking the sump pump gave out). Even the guy who came to get the water out was like, 'Jeez.... I need more equipment.' They are coming back first thing in the AM to take care of it. We're obviously pursuing the insurance claim route as everything is ruined.

Any advice from others on what we may want to do once it's all cleaned up - we know it's important to get dehumidifiers and such. This is our first house (just bought in Oct) and first water issue so any advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/3/15 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
"Pete" deserved what he got. I would LOVE to be that cop who got to laugh in Pete's face.

Wouldn't it be great if the videographer tracked down "Pete" and posted an interview with him (her?) as a companion piece?

I'd love to know what his insurance company would say if they saw that.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
regarding FEMA.. they will only pay if everyone files..so everyone please make a claim. If only one or two file, they ignore it.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

wm0110jp wrote:
Video on flooding in Hoboken.. looks like it is near Zephyr Lofts.. the commentary is relatively entertaining... if somewhat insensitive..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0S5Z2faUq8&feature=player_embedded

"Pete" deserved what he got. I would LOVE to be that cop who got to laugh in Pete's face.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 21:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
"Its like the Titanic for Pete"....LOL!!!

Posted on: 2010/3/14 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Poor Pete!

Quote:

...flooding in Hoboken.. commentary is relatively entertaining...

Posted on: 2010/3/14 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Is JC or Hoboken going to access the federal stimulus money to build pumping stations?

Posted on: 2010/3/14 16:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/7 23:44
Group:
Registered Users
Video on flooding in Hoboken.. looks like it is near Zephyr Lofts.. the commentary is relatively entertaining... if somewhat insensitive..

Posted on: 2010/3/14 16:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

emileigh23 wrote:
Can only imagine that the Turnpike on ramp off of Columbus is probably wrecked... I learned the hard way (and stupid way) that its NOT passable when flooded... though miraculously my car came through it unharmed..

There were 4 stalled cars in the water at that exit. Had to reverse up on the emergency lane the whole way back to take the Holland Tunnel exit.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
It's times like these that you remember Jersey City was built on a swamp and shall forever remain a swamp.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 6:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/4 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
As far as I am aware the fema flooding insurance is a scam. Basically you are obliged by the mortgage company to get it (almost $2,000 per year) and in case of a flood it will only cover structural damage up to $200,000.

We are flooding too, water is coming in from both sides / ends on our bottom floor. We have spent the last 8 hours trying to get it out but still there, we have 5 pumps working in the front and two in the back...... hoping for the rain to stop

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

srg1 wrote:
I guess 100 year floods now occur every three years or so.

A 100-year flood does not mean that this type of flood occurs every hundred years. It is a term which is no longer used by the National Weather Service, because of this confusion from the public. It refers to a flooding event that has 1% chance of being exceeded by any other flooding event in a given year. Basically, there is a 1% chance of a so called 100-year flood happening every year (or a 63% chance of happening every 100 years).

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:39
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:45
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe new developers should be forced to pay a percentage into a fund that would be used to make much needed upgrades to our city's infrastructure. Starting with the sewer system. Think of all the new residents flushing, and washing everything from their cars to their bodies and everything else they'll be putting into the sewers. This is going to be very taxing for these already over taxed, antiquated sewer lines. Not so sure they can handle the "load".

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't had to make a claim for flood (yet) however, I know when I set my flood insurance up, we chose to cover only the structure, not personal property to keep the overall cost down. I have heard dealing with the fema thing can be difficult, I never given using it much thought...though I have 3inches in my basement coming from the wall I share with my neighbor next door so I might be having to investigate that further!

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/30 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Oh god you have sewage overflow? I really feel your pain. I'm terrified it's coming my way... once again

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erie wrote:
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

erie wrote:
JC government needs to wake up and start requiring all these new developments to incorporate some sort of stormwater management into their plans (green roofs, rain gardens, porous pavement, etc)!

How easy is that to do in a neighborhood full of 1800's or 1900's era brownstones? Can that be done? How would that help our buildings?

i'm just saying the NEW developments should have to have this incorporated...or at the very least, incentivize it. by mitigating stormwater runoff from huge paved areas (street trees, rain gardens, etc.) and roofs (green roofs), you have less water running into the sewers during a rainfall event, and less overflow.

maybe if newer developments around here did that, more people would be aware of the stormwater issues, and would start to incorporate them into their own renoventations and such. or not.

but for all of this development to be going on and having nothing like this required or encouraged is just plain dumb.

you can find tons of info online about stormwater runoff issues...and JC has combined sewer systems, meaning when the sewers overflow, there's raw sewage being combined with the stormwater runoff.

All I know is that I have been aware of the so called stormwater issues for years now.

But that doesnt help the water that is seeping in thru the bricks of my building with this storm. Ugh I hate this storm!

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/20 22:06
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

erie wrote:
JC government needs to wake up and start requiring all these new developments to incorporate some sort of stormwater management into their plans (green roofs, rain gardens, porous pavement, etc)!

How easy is that to do in a neighborhood full of 1800's or 1900's era brownstones? Can that be done? How would that help our buildings?

i'm just saying the NEW developments should have to have this incorporated...or at the very least, incentivize it. by mitigating stormwater runoff from huge paved areas (street trees, rain gardens, etc.) and roofs (green roofs), you have less water running into the sewers during a rainfall event, and less overflow.

maybe if newer developments around here did that, more people would be aware of the stormwater issues, and would start to incorporate them into their own renoventations and such. or not.

but for all of this development to be going on and having nothing like this required or encouraged is just plain dumb.

you can find tons of info online about stormwater runoff issues...and JC has combined sewer systems, meaning when the sewers overflow, there's raw sewage being combined with the stormwater runoff.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 4:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
It's raining brown crap in our bedroom on Ninth St. And we're not even on the top floor of the building.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 3:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/19 21:19
Group:
Registered Users
Got 6 inches in our basement on Brunswick. Basin tub is filling up with sewage.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

erie wrote:

Posted on: 2010/3/14 3:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/20 22:06
From downtown jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/3/14 3:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
My basement in the Heights is flooding for the first time ever. Not fun.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 3:36

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017