Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

Re: Flooding in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Heads up...

Torrential downpours Friday could dump 2 inches of rain, cause flooding
Updated March 30, 2017
Posted March 30, 2017

By Jeff Goldman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The dry, reasonably mild conditions of Wednesday will stick around for one more day before New Jersey gets smacked with a bout of heavy rain. ...

http://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/2 ... tml#incart_river_home_pop

Posted on: 2017/3/30 16:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fraulein wrote:
According to this site below, JC got between 3-4 inches over the last 2 days. For those people who follow the rain/flooding situation in JC, does that seem accurate

I measured about 3.75 inches as of this afternoon.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
My basement was flooding full force in our last big storm, but not in this storm, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe no big system bringing a surge?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
According to this site below, JC got between 3-4 inches over the last 2 days. For those people who follow the rain/flooding situation in JC, does that seem accurate? I ask because I would LOVE to start gaining confidence that our intersection, after much work by the city, has finally improved enough to handle large rain storms.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/RFC_Precip/

Posted on: 2015/6/2 14:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/13 16:49
Group:
Registered Users
Concerned about the effects of rising sea levels and a changing climate may have on Jersey City? All residents are invited to attend The Coastal Flooding Solutions Open House, which will be held Wednesday, July 30th, from 5pm-9pm (with formal question and answer period between 6pm and 7:30pm) @ City Hall, 280 Grove Street.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/22 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Rainfall amounts of one to three inches may fall in a brief period of time resulting in flash flooding ... Flooding of roadways and areas of poor drainage is possible ...

Posted on: 2014/7/15 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Did you guys read the article I linked to? Scientists are now publicly saying that we have about a century until the sea levels dramatically rise, by between 4 and 10 feet. That is scary.

The 'ice sheet collapse' scare has been repeated many times before. Sometimes is Antarctica... other times its Greenland. It went into high gear in the 80's when glacier on the East Antarctic sheet went into retreat. The collapse rhetoric took a breather when glaciers on the larger East sheet started growing again. The science troll is back as I guess the Obama administration wants to push some new regulations / taxes on energy. Recently I had someone telling me of the cap on Greenland losing 40+ft of thickness in a year.

So now the West sheet is collapsing when:

It didn't collapse during the Holocene Optimum, the Roman warm period, and the Medieval warm period. All three of which (especially the Optimum) were warmer than today.

We haven't had any global scale warming in over 15 years. In fact, we are in a slight cooling trend globally.

Antarctic water / air temperatures have dropped enough to create a 35 year high in sea ice. Note: this is not ice from glacier calving but from sea water freezing.

Resized Image

Yet with all this accelerated melting, the rate of sea level rise is not increasing. In fact there is debate now that satellite measurements are over-estimating sea level rise as tide gauges are measuring a much smaller increase (as low as 1 mm/year when correcting for land rising or sinking).

The last time we saw rises of 4 to 10 ft in a century was when we were leaving the last ice age and we had massive amount of melt-water hitting the seas. The Mississippi about 15k years ago would have looked like a multi-mile wide roaring rapid.

Resized Image

The final factor that makes me roll my eyes at this 'dire' preduction is that agencies like NOAA and NASA are editing previous temperature records. They are erasing the cooling of the 1970s and super warming of the 1930s. There are people trying to collect the original graphs and raw data before they disappear down the memory whole. NOAA which used to be the gold standard for long range forecasts is so politicized that there forecasts are useless. They predicted a warm winter this year.

I ended up using the Korean (South not North) weather service to try to get an idea as to where natural gas prices were going this heating season. The Koreans got the forecast of a cold winter correct. They just didn't predicted to be so severe.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 20:23

Edited by MDM on 2014/5/13 20:38:41
Edited by MDM on 2014/5/13 20:40:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Did you guys read the article I linked to? Scientists are now publicly saying that we have about a century until the sea levels dramatically rise, by between 4 and 10 feet. That is scary.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Just a little perspective.
2.77 mm per year means less than 60 m in 21,000 years.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/13 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

KOCTEP wrote:
Positively. Another 8 feet and I will live at waterfront. Jersey City would be a lot nicer place too, kinda like Venice.

You are going to have a long wait. Sea level rise has been pretty steady for the past 160+ years at just under 3 mm per year. So you will be waiting 850 to 900 years at the current rate to get waterfront property.

Resized Image

Plus a lot of that 'rise' is due to the land sinking due to subsidence and being on the wrong side of glacial rebound (blame Canada!).

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/5/13 1:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 15:46
From Departing Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Positively. Another 8 feet and I will live at waterfront. Jersey City would be a lot nicer place too, kinda like Venice.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
So, how will this affect property values? http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/sci ... ientists-say.html?hp&_r=0

Posted on: 2014/5/12 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/12 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
11/27/13: Just FYI incase someone from the city is reading this. There is a huge lake across Phillips Street next to the old city car pound. (100 Phillips street ) It is in front of the entrance to a dirt road to the right of the old car pound. That dirt road was used by the pipeline people. Heavy trucks going in and out must have lowered Phillips Street a few feet.

The city should make them fix it. People are driving up to it thinking it is a small puddle but it is a foot+ deep. If it is still there tonight with sub freezing temperatures it will be deadly.

PS ? a cop car drove through it so I am sure they reported it..right?

Posted on: 2013/11/27 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
The flooding maps and ABFEs aren't going to tell you much about flooding caused by sewer backups. The only thing that will help there, unless there is clear evidence in the apartment, is to ask the current tenants and neighbors about it.

You should also ask the landlord if there are backflow preventers on the sewer lines - basically one-way gate valves that allow sewerage to flow in one direction only (out, if they are installed the right way). Backflows won't necessarily prevent issues completely (for one thing they can become stuck or jammed if not maintained), but they are far better than nothing.

In a previous home (with basement living space) we occasionally had sewer backflow in the tub and toilet. It was compounded by the fact that the building sump pump was hooked directly to the main sewer stack with no check valves. Every time the pump kicked on the backup would get worse.

Both problems were addressed by installing check valves on the sewer lines and re-routing the sump outflow - as well as re-routing the roof drains. There are ways of fixing these issues, but the landlord needs to be on the ball and take fairly aggressive measures.

You can only get a sense for this by talking to the landlord about what they have done about flooding and developing a sense of whether or not he/she cares enough.

OP - If you know a decent plumber, maybe you can have him do a walk-through with you to look for preventative measures (don't know if they are normally willing to do that or if landlords allow it).

Posted on: 2013/7/1 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

driverjase wrote:

Have a lot of people flooded on the west side of Hamilton Park? I'm surprised to see it in the same color as some of the areas closer to the waterfront and exchange place.

If you uncheck the "Preliminary Work Maps (supersede ABFEs)" and use "National Flood Hazard Layer (Sandy Area)" instead, - it is more realistic.

Not much though - like the Dykes Lumber near the Lincoln entrance, - it was as they say about 6' under water. Yet the color is the same as in places where there was little flooding.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 12:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone help explain this map a bit?

Is this mainly coastal flooding or storm surge flooding as well?

If it is storm surge flooding as well (which I assume it is), would this map be affected by the sewers being upgraded on 10th through 6th streets?

Have a lot of people flooded on the west side of Hamilton Park? I'm surprised to see it in the same color as some of the areas closer to the waterfront and exchange place.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
That's a very nice map, and does nothing to address the issue of sewer backups. It must be a very nice apartment to induce the amount of denial here.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 2:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/8 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for this!! I just looked up the area i was planning to move to, and it's unshaded based on the link you shared [img width=300]Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos[/img]

Posted on: 2013/6/30 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
We're on Sixth Street in a brownstone where almost every neighbor rents out their basement unit apartment. The units are two to three steps below street level as a previous poster was considering for rental.

When it rains heavily these units always flood ~ and it's sewage backup, rather than rainwater. In the six years we've been here, we've witnessed tenant squabble after squabble over the flooding ~ personal belongings are thrown in the back courtyards or across the front iron gates to dry. No one ever signs a renewal lease and with each tenant departure, our neighbors raise the rent.

It's sad and pathetic ~ moving is so disruptive and expensive for these tenants. Interestingly enough, our basement had minor flooding during Sandy ~ other than that, we've always been spared.

Do yourself a favor and ask any neighbors about flooding before signing a lease. We'd be happy to share this sort of street info, in the interest of sparing a whole lotta drama for an unsuspecting tenant. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AnikaM wrote:
thanks very much for this info! i will definitely look for the sump pump.

the apartment is not very much below the street level, it was probably 3 or 4 steps down to the door (im not sure though how many feet that is though, perhaps 2 or 3 feet--is that good or bad?)

also the owner of the building just bought the whole place last year, before sandy. and they're renovating the apt coz they're a contractor. but i'll definitely ask the important questions!
according to the newly released fema flood maps, you could be between the 100 and 500-year flood plain ... hence, if there is a 100+ year flood, it may flood.
the link is http://bit.ly/12rM43y

Posted on: 2013/6/28 20:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thanks very much for this info! i will definitely look for the sump pump.

the apartment is not very much below the street level, it was probably 3 or 4 steps down to the door (im not sure though how many feet that is though, perhaps 2 or 3 feet--is that good or bad?)

also the owner of the building just bought the whole place last year, before sandy. and they're renovating the apt coz they're a contractor. but i'll definitely ask the important questions!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:37

2nd and Erie Flooding in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes Virginia, there are wet basements in this area. Our Church routinely gets water in the basement and we are trying to install a backflow preventer as sometimes it comes from the city side of the sewer system.

We ran into problems when we tried to do a video inspection and found that the city side of the system is about half blocked. Now we are trying to figure out how to deal with that as we cant add the preventer until we know our drain pipe is good....

Id make sure you have a backflow preventer and a sump pump and you should be okay. If you were buying a place i might invest in a video inspection of the sewer line.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AnikaM wrote:
thanks Kelcey! this is good to know!
i forgot to mention in my post, that we're looking to rent the basement/garden level apartment of the bldg.
It's a 3-storey brownstone.

when i viewed the apartment, i didn't notice any flood marks on the walls.. i asked the landlord about flooding, and he said they were fine.. but of course, he was the landlord!

Look for a sump pump in the building. Look for sump pump outflow pipes on neighboring houses. Ask neighbors about basement flooding. Ask the owner when the last renovations were done and what was renovated (e.g. flooring, sheetrock, and other things which tend to be replaced after flooding). I would also look at how far below street level the apartment is. There are garden levels only a couple of feet below and basement apartments that are almost completely below street level.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
When I was at 3rd and Erie the basements in that area did flood up during big storms.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 17:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
thanks Kelcey! this is good to know!
i forgot to mention in my post, that we're looking to rent the basement/garden level apartment of the bldg.
It's a 3-storey brownstone.

when i viewed the apartment, i didn't notice any flood marks on the walls.. i asked the landlord about flooding, and he said they were fine.. but of course, he was the landlord!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 21:28
Group:
Registered Users
I lived around the corner on 2nd/Erie at that time. I don't recall seeing any flooding there, nor do I recall seeing people pumping water out of basements.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 16:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone,

i'm planning on moving to downtown jersey city..in 1st street and Erie Street.

Does anyone know How was the flood situation there during irene and sandy?

I was looking at the responses, and i can't see anything about these streets.. i did however used this website (that i also found here) and noticed that this street is is above sea level.. http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/new-york.shtml

any response will be appreciated :)
Thank you!!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm no Healy fan, but to paraphrase a great movie quote, JC was a going brothel long before Healy came to town. To blame it all on him for not squeezing out of developers the billions it would take to fix our sewers is pretty silly.

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
The sewer and storm drains were installed when 'adam and eve' were running naked in HP. The basic issue is that developers were never required to contribute to infrustructure issues with their multi million apartment developments - Thanks Healy, you inept asswipe convicted criminal - It will take a generation to fix this problem you allowed to happen and rate payers are going to make sacrifices (taxes) to fix it. Can someone remind my to piss on Healy's grave when he kick's the bucket!

Its a pity that those that voted for him aren't the one's that are required to pay to fix this huge infrustructure problem created by his administration.

Good luck Fulop cleaning this mess up without be seen as the 'bad guy' on taxes - People are stupid and will blame you, however some will know the history behind your decisions!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The sewer and storm drains were installed when 'adam and eve' were running naked in HP. The basic issue is that developers were never required to contribute to infrustructure issues with their multi million apartment developments - Thanks Healy, you inept asswipe convicted criminal - It will take a generation to fix this problem you allowed to happen and rate payers are going to make sacrifices (taxes) to fix it. Can someone remind my to piss on Healy's grave when he kick's the bucket!

Its a pity that those that voted for him aren't the one's that are required to pay to fix this huge infrustructure problem created by his administration.

Good luck Fulop cleaning this mess up without be seen as the 'bad guy' on taxes - People are stupid and will blame you, however some will know the history behind your decisions!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 8:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017