Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
87 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: Flooding in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Anyone with basement flooding experience know how long it typically takes for the wet basement smell to revert back to pre-flood levels?

We've got fans and dehumidifiers going nonstop and the smell is barely going away at all. All the wet stuff was hauled out within a few days of Irene.

Pine Sol has only masked the smell for a day or so. Any thoughts on other strategies? Thanks...

Maybe try these strategies we used:

Change your HVAC filter. You can also find scent filter additions to add to your filter if you feel the need to buy some time between ridding yourself of the mildew. Orange scent seems to be the least repulsive.
Open all windows & doors in household to circulate out as much as you can as long as you can.
Buy Damp Rid.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone with basement flooding experience know how long it typically takes for the wet basement smell to revert back to pre-flood levels?

We've got fans and dehumidifiers going nonstop and the smell is barely going away at all. All the wet stuff was hauled out within a few days of Irene.

Pine Sol has only masked the smell for a day or so. Any thoughts on other strategies? Thanks...

Posted on: 2011/9/12 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
It might work.. I have mine tied into the floor a little bit. But you are going to have to remove the paint. Concrete paint is a bitch and a half to get off since its resistant to sodium hydroxide and other caustic based paint stripping compounds.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
http://spec-chem.com/basement/index.htm

Used the product on my basement and its worked really well. I wanted to check to see if they would recommend any fabric re-enforcement like with their roofing products. The answer is 'no'.

The do recommend though:

All paint be stripped from the walls.
You put on at least two coats.

Nice reco, MDM. Do you think this would be suitable for a concrete basement floor? We painted ours with garage paint and it peels when it gets wet and it useless.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://spec-chem.com/basement/index.htm

Used the product on my basement and its worked really well. I wanted to check to see if they would recommend any fabric re-enforcement like with their roofing products. The answer is 'no'.

The do recommend though:

All paint be stripped from the walls.
You put on at least two coats.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
How did everyone do with the rain yesterday/overnight? We had no water, but only because my husband watched the outside sump pump all night, which kept getting clogged. We are so over this #OOPS#ing rain... I wish we could have sent it to Texas where they really need it. What a bullshit weather month.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/1 5:25
Group:
Registered Users
How about just unclogging the sewer drains that were stuffed by debris? There is flooding on Kennedy Blvd and no JCIA in sight. Truly pathetic.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 13:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/13 1:50
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Simple soloution, have all the big builders, we all know who they are, take a square block or two and redo the sewer lines.
We didn't need new sidewalks and trees and they don't need tax breaks. They DO need to chip in and do their part.

How about a pump station !!! There is plenty of room downtown.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 10:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was thinking that perhaps you should install a new foundation, if that is even possible. I can get behind fees for infrastructure improvements.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 2:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
GAWD! BREWSTER!

LEARN TO READ FFS!!!

I hate that the EPA called this "Green" because most people will think its planting trees etc like you did. ITS NOT.

READ IT. READ THE EXAMPLE BELOW.ITS NOT ABOUT PLANTING FREAKING TREES!!!

Stormwater Fees

Stormwater fees are used to generate a dedicated revenue stream to address the increasing investment most communities will have to make to control both combined sewer overflows and stormwater runoff. Some municipalities need additional funding for new infrastructure required to meet the demands of growth and development or changing regulatory requirements, while older communities often need extra revenue to repair and maintain existing storm sewer systems. Traditionally, the costs for stormwater management were paid for with general funds collected through taxes, such as a property tax, or through a property?s water bill. Stormwater user fees are now being used to direct the costs for stormwater management towards those properties that actually create the most runoff entering the public system. Unlike familiar water and wastewater utility fees, utility fees for stormwater management are a relatively new concept. Their use arose from the recognition that managing stormwater imparts a fiscal impact on a municipality to manage infrastructure and provide environmental protection. An increasingly common method for calculating a stormwater user fee is an impervious surface based billing system. Because runoff from impervious areas is the primary contributor to the storm sewer system, this system is seen as a more equitable determination for fees than some early methods of calculating charges, such as a meter-based fee, which charges by water consumption. For example, a parking lot may not use potable water on site but discharges significantly more runoff than a residence or business of a similar size The stormwater fee should reflect the contribution of runoff from a particular site. Many communities will calculate user fees for commercial, multi-family residential and industrial properties based on total lot size and percentage of imperviousness. These rates are measured through a Geographic Information System (GIS) and orthographic flyover image data that accurately accounts for the stormwater runoff inputs of these large customer parcels. For ease of collection, the stormwater fee is often added to water, sewer or utility bills Some cities charge the user fee as a monthly or annual tax. In San Jose, California, for instance, the Santa Clara County Tax Collector?s Office collects the Storm Sewer Service Charge through the annual property tax roll.

Simply put. Let's get those folks that generate the flooding, to pay for the flooding.

Makes sense to me.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 2:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Then read the whole report. And get our pols to start implementing it:

http://www.epa.gov/owow/NPS/lid/gi_case_studies_2010.pdf

Posted on: 2011/9/8 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
GAWD! BREWSTER!

LEARN TO READ FFS!!!

I hate that the EPA called this "Green" because most people will think its planting trees etc like you did. ITS NOT.

READ IT. READ THE EXAMPLE BELOW.ITS NOT ABOUT PLANTING FREAKING TREES!!!

Stormwater Fees

Stormwater fees are used to generate a dedicated revenue stream to address the increasing investment most communities will have to make to control both combined sewer overflows and stormwater runoff. Some municipalities need additional funding for new infrastructure required to meet the demands of growth and development or changing regulatory requirements, while older communities often need extra revenue to repair and maintain existing storm sewer systems. Traditionally, the costs for stormwater management were paid for with general funds collected through taxes, such as a property tax, or through a property?s water bill. Stormwater user fees are now being used to direct the costs for stormwater management towards those properties that actually create the most runoff entering the public system. Unlike familiar water and wastewater utility fees, utility fees for stormwater management are a relatively new concept. Their use arose from the recognition that managing stormwater imparts a fiscal impact on a municipality to manage infrastructure and provide environmental protection. An increasingly common method for calculating a stormwater user fee is an impervious surface based billing system. Because runoff from impervious areas is the primary contributor to the storm sewer system, this system is seen as a more equitable determination for fees than some early methods of calculating charges, such as a meter-based fee, which charges by water consumption. For example, a parking lot may not use potable water on site but discharges significantly more runoff than a residence or business of a similar size The stormwater fee should reflect the contribution of runoff from a particular site. Many communities will calculate user fees for commercial, multi-family residential and industrial properties based on total lot size and percentage of imperviousness. These rates are measured through a Geographic Information System (GIS) and orthographic flyover image data that accurately accounts for the stormwater runoff inputs of these large customer parcels. For ease of collection, the stormwater fee is often added to water, sewer or utility bills Some cities charge the user fee as a monthly or annual tax. In San Jose, California, for instance, the Santa Clara County Tax Collector?s Office collects the Storm Sewer Service Charge through the annual property tax roll.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I think we'd be better off pushing the JC council to adopt a set of "Green Infrastruture" municipal policies that will apply across new developments, municipal works and contracts, etc.

Sorry, but that would only help a little. If greenery were a solution to runoff we wouldn't have rivers rising in forests. Even new interceptors and pumps won't save downtown from a surge, but would keep it from flooding in every damn heavy rain.

My basement floor was running yesterday from the sewer being overcharged by a relatively moderate storm. That's just obscene, isn't it?

Posted on: 2011/9/8 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PS - heres one example from the link. Jersey City could be charging the Port Authority, and new developers, Stormwater runoff fees. What's not to like about this?

Stormwater Fees

Posted on: 2011/9/8 0:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think the City has the money nor appetite to go after major infrastruture overhauls, at least until such a time as City revenues improve. And even then I'm pretty sure the pols would find a "better" way to spend those revenues.

In 2007, we had one of those "once in 50-years" flooding events in JC according to the mayor. Four years later with Irene, we witnessed another.

I think we'd be better off pushing the JC council to adopt a set of "Green Infrastruture" municipal policies that will apply across new developments, municipal works and contracts, etc. It's not a silver bullet. But if implemented, it would be low initial cost (might even save money), but gradually over time it would build the infrastructure to improve the situation for all.

Here's the EPA case studies on "Green Infrastructure".

http://www.epa.gov/owow/NPS/lid/gi_case_studies_2010.pdf

Perhaps we could push our local reps to commission a study to figure out what municipal policies JC could adopt to improve things for JC?

Posted on: 2011/9/8 0:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know a product that might help you... I have used it myself. But I need to ask the manufacturer a couple questions to see if it will work for your situation.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 23:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
have u thought about concreting ur basement, if u haven't already. I would think that would help. wouldn't hydraulic cemen do the trick?

Like I said, it wouldn't keep the water from damaging the foundation. Inside water can be pumped, and I spent hours on the night of the storm mixing little cups of hydraulic cement and plugging cracks.

Posted on: 2011/9/7 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
have u thought about concreting ur basement, if u haven't already. I would think that would help. wouldn't hydraulic cemen do the trick?

Posted on: 2011/9/7 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i agree that JC government is lame - both Republican and Democrat! Have you thought about raising your bathroom so that you can install sometime of device between the sewer connection and your toilets and sinks that will keep the water from backing up. might not be pretty but perhaps it will keep the ick stuff out of your apartment.

I'm afraid you misunderstand about the sewer. It comes in through my foundation, not any sewer connection. I have functioning check valves on my main sewer and the basement sink, and the sink rarely backs up, though it did in this past storm. Any crack in my foundation was spraying water because the effective water level outside the ship that is my foundation was at least 4 feet off the floor at the same level as the overflooded sewer. Even were I to hermetically seal the foundation, the surge of water from teh sewer will shift the soil under it and cause settling that will compromise the whole building.

There is no GOP in JC worth speaking of, which makes organized opposition to the HCDO difficult to fund,as it must be competing for the same D donors.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i agree that JC government is lame - both Republican and Democrat! Have you thought about raising your bathroom so that you can install sometime of device between the sewer connection and your toilets and sinks that will keep the water from backing up. might not be pretty but perhaps it will keep the ick stuff out of your apartment.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Walls might keep out street water, but what about the leaking sewers that are undermining my foundation? I successfully pumped out the water during the storm resulting in only a wet floor, but I'm going to have to spend a fortune to keep my building from crumbling, with no way that any pro has suggested to keep the water from undermining the foundation again. Do I need to pay to have the street sewer ripped out and replaced? And McNair had 8 feet in their basement from the same source which is going to cost taxpayers a fortune.

We need the city to implement and expand plans already drawn for new inteceptors and pumping stations downtown so the pathetic sewers in each street don't flood. Eventually each street needs new sewers, but this is what is nearly online for SW Hoboken, and is already drawn up for S Downtown. They just won't fund it.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A class action suit makes sense to me although it probably wouldn't go far. Besides, why wouldn't you try to mitigate the problem until it is solved.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
respectfully do not agree. A class action suit is needed to make the town move on this or pay us out. I've spent about $25k trying to fend off the water... to no avail.
Taking a step further...if we had police cuts would you hire your own security force? If the sidewalk was ripped up in front of your stoop, would you pay to fix it? If the street Lamps were out, do you climb up and change them?

I'll continue to protect my home to the best of my ability until it works no more. I also improve my back alley and my front sidewalks, the tree out front and I have a Fort Knox security system with cameras, so I guess the answer is yes with the exception of reaching the street light, but we do have security lights.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
respectfully do not agree. A class action suit is needed to make the town move on this or pay us out. I've spent about $25k trying to fend off the water... to no avail.
Taking a step further...if we had police cuts would you hire your own security force? If the sidewalk was ripped up in front of your stoop, would you pay to fix it? If the street Lamps were out, do you climb up and change them?

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I see that certain parts of JC flood constantly. Instead of eternally waiting on the City to do something (which ain't gonna happen), I think homeowners should be much more proactive.

Why not build 3-4 feet high brick walls with glass/steel gates that ca seal out water so that water doesn't pour in from the streets/sidewalks whenever they flood and then have smaller 1' high brick around the entry steps to keep out that water.

I agree, fix your own home as much as possible. Make it Fort Knox, do overkill for your own peace of mind. Spend the money. It's cheaper in the long run for resell value (you can say you didn't flood in those heavy rainstorms) and you don't have to pay for repairs over and over, regardless of insurance. It's never one thing, it's all variables that contribute from table water, high tide, full moon, neighbors not being as diligent as you, and all the other city dysfunctions - you don't have control over those things, but you DO have control over your own home.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I see that certain parts of JC flood constantly. Instead of eternally waiting on the City to do something (which ain't gonna happen), I think homeowners should be much more proactive.

Why not build 3-4 feet high brick walls with glass/steel gates that ca seal out water so that water doesn't pour in from the streets/sidewalks whenever they flood and then have smaller 1' high brick around the entry steps to keep out that water.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
More rain today:

By Adam Maher/The Jersey Journal
Tuesday, September 06, 2011, 7:32 AM

NJ-HudsonUrban flooding is expected, as well as stream and river flooding throughout all of Hudson County today.

A Flash flood watch will remain in effect through this afternoon for all of Hudson County.

Periods of rain with embedded pockets of heavy rainfall is expected today in association with a stalled front and tropical moisture weather system streaming throughout all of Hudson County.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 14:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/15 12:46
Group:
Registered Users
The Manhole cover in the middle of the road accross from Harassimus Cemetery on Newark ave collapsed after heavy downpours. The road is actually closed right now. We watched as the Road closed sign from Pavonia ave literally got washed down to the cemetery lol!! Guess the sign knew what was about to happen!!

Posted on: 2011/8/20 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
and here we go again!

Storm drains are getting overwhelmed here in Heights.. I guess my basement is going to be a bit on the wet side again.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 23:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/19 2:42
Group:
Registered Users
Lived downtown Jersey City (Eighth and Grove) from 1954 to 1971. NEVER saw any flooding, lotsa neighbors in basement apartments. They put in new storm sewers in 1964 in the neighborhood. And we had a lot more people living there then with all the tenements on both sides og Grove street, from 16 th st to Canal St. What has happened since?

Posted on: 2011/8/19 3:43

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017