Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: All Points West Festival in JC This Summer Is in Doubt
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
Chester, sounds like it was a great time. I'd be down for that here, especially if we could have that lineup! I love Neil Halstead, and I think the White Rabbits are fun. I'm thinking it would probably be a more mellow crowd too.

Nice, another Neil Halstead fan. He was the main reason we went. He played his set and spent the rest of the weekend trying to corral his kids with his wife. The White Rabbits stole the weekend, IMO. Lots of energy and they were eventually joined onstage by Here We Go Magic for a fun set.

My idea would be a weekend with bands playing sets around the city as part of a larger single event. Venues could be Loews, the parks, the bars. Some venues would be within walking distance of each other. Some could have shuttle service to and from. Some could be free, some not. And the restaurants and the hotels could have weekend specials.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I'd prefer NOT to destroy the park for the benefit of profit-oriented promoters.
There is little enough open space in Jersey City that to befoul one of our only beautiful areas is criminal.

Why not have the promoters rent a stadium in Secaucus, Queens or the Bronx instead. They are MADE to hold a gazillion people without turning a park into a muddy wasteland.

There's this farm up in Bethel, NY that might be available...and after the mudfest, it could be plowed and new corn planted. It worked before?

Hip, hip, hooray for any plans to avoid another commercial enterprise in LSP.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 14:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Chester, sounds like it was a great time. I'd be down for that here, especially if we could have that lineup! I love Neil Halstead, and I think the White Rabbits are fun. I'm thinking it would probably be a more mellow crowd too.

Posted on: 2010/5/8 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I went to this last weekend and it is totally the type of thing we could pull off around here, albeit without mountains. It is a hit in England and has just hit the States:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/05/the_truck_ameri.html

Posted on: 2010/5/8 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Much to my dismay (we bought tickets mostly to see the Beasties) but we still had a great time. Then again, we walked there and had an easy trip home once we got tired of the mud. I could see how someone making a trek to APW would have had a bad experience that they wouldn't want to redo, regardless of it being due to the weather or lack of Beastie Boys.

Quote:

mvm wrote:
They got Jay-Z 2 weeks before the last show when Beastie Boys cancelled...

Posted on: 2010/5/7 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

abeaumont wrote:
Yes, great ideas Coralime.

If LSP isn't cooperative, is there another smaller place to have maybe a concert series in the summertime???? Something like what's going on near the waterfont in Williamsburg. How about down by the Colgate clock? Local concessions, local bands maybe. Doesn't have to be a huge event, but people like to get out in the summertime - might as well give them something to do here.

http://lookoverhere-abeaumont.blogspot.com/

+1 newbie

Posted on: 2010/5/7 22:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, great ideas Coralime.

If LSP isn't cooperative, is there another smaller place to have maybe a concert series in the summertime???? Something like what's going on near the waterfont in Williamsburg. How about down by the Colgate clock? Local concessions, local bands maybe. Doesn't have to be a huge event, but people like to get out in the summertime - might as well give them something to do here.

http://lookoverhere-abeaumont.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2010/5/7 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The beer pens at APW weren't the fault of the promoters. Alcohol is not allowed in the park, so they had to compromise. If there was a large space controlled by the city, and not the state, it might be easier to put on shows like this. We don't have the open space of Coachella or a Grant Park like Lollapalooza.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Great ideas coronalime.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
One more thing...

Perhaps they should build a permanent band shell and concert area...something that would make it easier to have smaller concerts there without trucking in a huge stage every time they want to have an event. They could also take the time to properly direct the acoustics so they don't blast the music into the apartments along the water.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
It'd be nice if this became a smaller Jersey City sponsored event. Bring in a headline act a couple times through the summer and supplement it with several JC bands. Get the Beer Garden to provide the suds, and local restaurants to do catering.

If done right, it could be a great way to show off Jersey City to the region.

The people who ran APW seemed incompetent, but having concerts at LSP with food and beer is pretty damn awesome and we shouldn't lose that because of mismanagement.

Oh, and make it FREE!

Posted on: 2010/4/29 11:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/4 14:25
Group:
Registered Users
Not a huge fan of large concerts where you are caged in like an animal and are only allowed to eat their food and drink their beers all day long. And then wait in line for a port o potty. Granted, that is my point of view. If people are down with that, so be it. I would be happier with a concert here and there. The convenience for us, to be able to bike down and check out a show is rather nice! I did bike down to listen to Radiohead the first year, just out of curiosity to what the sound would be. I thought it sounded great, and I was behind the stage.

The other issue is that I wanted to hear some bands from one day and some from the others, but didn't want to pay the crazy price to hear all of it.

So who ever is the promoter is, think of smaller shows throughout the summer, and better advertising.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 15:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I thought APW sucked for the most part anyway. It made the park smell like crap from August on, it did nothing for this city, and the bands weren't great. Ooooo Coldplay! Cause I can't see them at MSG where the sound is better anyway.

I love the fact that the festival failed because they couldn't get any "big" names to draw enough people to pay for all of the Air Conditioned tents, trailers, and bathrooms for all of the sissies out there. Here's an idea....scale it down! This ain't Woodstock!

If LSP wants to get serious about music, they should check out Central Park's summerstage. Smaller set-up and higher quality bookings. I would love that.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
The best is that the race is billed as taking place in "New York over the Hudson River at Liberty State Park in Jersey City."

New York, USA :: Red Bull Air Race

Posted on: 2010/4/27 0:59
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Sure your right about 2 different departments but thats not the way it gets done in the Park. 1 Super rules the entire park.
Federal, City, whatever, that's the real world....

Don't expect to see any high profile events in the park anymore because that's the way they want it.

You really don't know how anything works. One superintendent does not control both the state park and the National Park Service unit. The is no one entire park - LSP and Ellis/Statue are two mutually exclusive entities with different missions, administrative offices, and jurisdictions. The State Park ultimately answers to Bob Martin, DEP Commissioner and Ellis/Statue ultimately answers to Ken Salazar, Secretary of the Interior. The State Park personnel have no say or jurisdiction on federal land, and the National Park personnel have no say or jurisdiction on state land.

I am sorry but your description is not the real world.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 0:54
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/4/26 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame this isn't going to continue. I agree with the point about poor promotion in the city. This should be the cornerstone of the NYC concert season - there's nothing like it within an hour of the city.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 19:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Except for the Red Bull Air Race in June.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 15:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Sure your right about 2 different departments but thats not the way it gets done in the Park. 1 Super rules the entire park.
Federal, City, whatever, that's the real world....

Don't expect to see any high profile events in the park anymore because that's the way they want it.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 14:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
I was away in 08, biked over to glimpse a couple of the shows in 09. Also I could hear when white rabbits/percussion gun came on from my living room, that was fun.

Nice to have it so close and a great venue... However, the damage to the park grounds is severe. If you look at the vegetation/roads, LSP still hasn't fully recovered from last August (and that's 8 months on). I'd be ok if it happened somewhere else (or not at all).

Posted on: 2010/4/25 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Truth be told, the reason why very few events are being done in LSP & Ellis Island is because of the new Park superintendent David. He has implemented so many changes for events that both clients & vendors find too costly.....

They need to fix the entrance from the light rail into the park. No directional signs either. People ask me all the time where the park & LSC are.

Liberty State Park and Ellis Island National Monument are two separate entities that have nothing to do with each other.

Liberty State Park is administered by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection - Division of Parks and Forestry. It is a STATE administered park.

Ellis Island National Monument is administered by the National Park Service in conjunction with the Statue of Liberty National Monument. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty have one superintendent. It is a FEDERALLY administered national park unit.

Please don't confuse the two.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 12:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Truth be told, the reason why very few events are being done in LSP & Ellis Island is because of the new Park superintendent David. He has implemented so many changes for events that both clients & vendors find too costly.....

They need to fix the entrance from the light rail into the park. No directional signs either. People ask me all the time where the park & LSC are.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

ripple wrote:
As far as I know, it's one of the only multi-day festivals that doesn't include on-site camping. And unlike many single-day festivals, this one is at a temporary venue that includes no shelter for the crowd in the case of rain. In a sense, APW combines all of the worst elements of multi-day and single-day festivals.

Coachella is in a temporary venue with no camping, and they do just fine. Plus, Indio California is hours away from anywhere. We're just a ferry ride from NYC. I blame bad marketing, period.

there is camping at coachella.... its just that not many people camp (vs the amount who get hotels/ condos) but there is camping available -- also coachella had to change their policies about re-entry finally after like 3 yrs of not selling out

there is little to no shelter at coachella either (though chance of rain is probably less than zero)... but there is some infrastructure to get crowds in/out/parking etc since it is used as a polo grounds

lollapalloza (held at millenium park) in chicago would probably be the best comparison to all points west and it seems like they are doing ok (though technically I guess that would be more like having it in central park or union sq)

Posted on: 2010/4/24 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
What do you expect for a park that, at first glance, ought to be easily accessible by mass transit from Manhattan but isn't? I remember when I lived in NYC and wanted to explore LSP on a weekend, but was turned off when given these convulted directions that involved taking the PATH all the way to Grove and from there schlepping further inland to Jersey Ave and several blocks south to this dodgy looking entry point for pedestrians and cyclists coming from downtown JC. The first impression people get of that route via the footbridge is, "God, I'm gonna get mugged or stabbed." The park is right there on the Hudson, a straight shot from lower Manhattan, but they make people from NYC go well out of their way to get there. I guess when you look at the access points to LSP and the ample parking there, it's a testament to the state's car culture.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ripple wrote:
As far as I know, it's one of the only multi-day festivals that doesn't include on-site camping. And unlike many single-day festivals, this one is at a temporary venue that includes no shelter for the crowd in the case of rain. In a sense, APW combines all of the worst elements of multi-day and single-day festivals.

Coachella is in a temporary venue with no camping, and they do just fine. Plus, Indio California is hours away from anywhere. We're just a ferry ride from NYC. I blame bad marketing, period.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

itgirl wrote:
I think in both years, there weren't adequate ads or press about it in the city. I didn't see it on any of the usual NYC event feeds and the only place I saw ads or billboards was on the PATH or NJ transit buses. You're not really going to attract crowds from New York for the event if you don't let anyone know about it.

it seems like every LSP event is like that. anybody remember, back about 4-5 years ago, a festival with Patti Smith, Cheap Trick, Los Lobos, Parliament...? no? well, neither does anybody else. my friends and I were among a crowd of maybe a hundred people at this event, thanks to a last-minute ticket giveaway on some radio station. before show day, we hadn't heard anything about it.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Jersey City needs to hire a good PR agent.

The understatement of the year.

It seems like formalized advertisements are all about measuring up or trying to "match" NYC.

Jersey City is an historic, fantastic place, all in its own right. Somebody want to put me on the PR payroll or what?!

Posted on: 2010/4/24 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"We're probably going to kill it," said Phillips. "As beautiful as (the site) is, it's very hard to get New Yorkers to cross that river. All Points West is an experiment that just didn't work."

It's true. NY'rs suck like that. I practically have to beg friends to come to Jersey City for drinks. dinner, etc...

It's like they are missing a gene or something, they have such an aversion to crossing the Hudson.

Jersey City needs to hire a good PR agent.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 14:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I went in '08, couldn't make it last year. I think in both years, there weren't adequate ads or press about it in the city. I didn't see it on any of the usual NYC event feeds and the only place I saw ads or billboards was on the PATH or NJ transit buses. You're not really going to attract crowds from New York for the event if you don't let anyone know about it.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

"We're probably going to kill it," said Phillips. "As beautiful as (the site) is, it's very hard to get New Yorkers to cross that river. All Points West is an experiment that just didn't work."

.... What? Place was packed every day. Very hard to imagine that fest didn't make money.

They were definitely undersold. They were even letting people who came on Friday use their ticket for free admittance for Sat or Sun, to make it seem more crowded. I believe the weather sucked that weekend, which didn't help last minute sales.
Too bad.

Posted on: 2010/4/24 13:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017