Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come to Jersey City!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ceo3west wrote:
Re: Rochester, I spent half my life in that area and I can tell you it's a dump. Like any city there are good parts and bad parts, but Roch has nothing on the downtown area of JC. You couldn't pay me enough to go back there.

Yeah pretty much what I've heard. I have heard it's a smaller version of Buffalo (I've been to Buffalo), in the middle of nowhere.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 14:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Re: Rochester, I spent half my life in that area and I can tell you it's a dump. Like any city there are good parts and bad parts, but Roch has nothing on the downtown area of JC. You couldn't pay me enough to go back there.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Stillinjc,

I'm not sure where you're staying in Rochester, but check out Dinosaur BBQ while you're there.

I'll go to Dinosaur BBQ if I have a chance, but since I am there on a corporate dime, I'll probably wind up at Tournedos steakhouse. ;)

Back on topic - I have no idea why TJ will not open in JC. Nor do I care, really, ever since I discovered H-Mart in Fort Lee, which thankfully and conveniently is on my way from work.

Too bad JC doesn't seem to have enough Asian population for H-Mart to consider it for a new store.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stilling wrote:

I am actually going to Rochester next week on business. Never been there before, but looking forward to it. Since this thread is going nowhere anyway, I thought I'd ask an off-topic question - any recommendations regarding restaurants there? Steak or seafood.

Stillinjc,

I'm not sure where you're staying in Rochester, but check out Dinosaur BBQ while you're there.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Seagull's comments are the first positive comments I've ever heard about Rochester.

Count me into the group that's confused by why TJ's doesn't come here. I think they would do so well if placed in a walkable area.

Tommy,

I'm surprised I'm the first person who you've heard say something positive about Rochester. I guess you don't know too many people who have actually spent some time there (yourself included). If there's any confusion, I have wanted TJ's to come here for a long time. I've visited their website and emailed them several times begging them to set up shop in Jersey City, and I recommend you do the same (although I've really become cynical about the whole thing). If everyone else who wants Trader Joe's here emailed them, MAYBE it would get some of their attention.

http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp

Posted on: 2012/5/24 12:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Seagull's comments are the first positive comments I've ever heard about Rochester.

Count me into the group that's confused by why TJ's doesn't come here. I think they would do so well if placed in a walkable area.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:

-Restaurants and food markets that would make any JC resident jealous

I am actually going to Rochester next week on business. Never been there before, but looking forward to it. Since this thread is going nowhere anyway, I thought I'd ask an off-topic question - any recommendations regarding restaurants there? Steak or seafood.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I didn't say it wasn't a nice place, I said it was economically hurting, Kodak is gone, baby, gone. One reason it's nice is the century of generous Kodak largess on the town. They just don't have the hundreds of thousands of commuters, from bond traders to janitors, sucking on the NYC tit and bringing it back home to spend.

Kodak is gone, but I'll tell you something. Rochester, and the people of that city have survived and continue to thrive. Like I mentioned before, the quality of life there is much higher than it is in JC.

-Restaurants and food markets that would make any JC resident jealous
-Secondary schools that are well-placed in the various national rankings
-Vibrant cultural scene, particularly music with their annual jazz fest every year (I know, Groove on Grove is great and all lol)
-Dozens of colleges and universities in the area
-Great weather in the summer and a real winter which the municipalities are well-prepared to handle
-Very short commuting times and very inexpensive cost of living (15% below the national average)

I commend you for sticking up for JC, but like I said before, it doesn't even touch Rochester, NY and that's a fact.

Oh, and before you pull the whole race card and blame racism for all of life's problems, I just want to point out that according to the 2010 Census, the city's population was 43.7% White, 41.7% Black in Rochester. That's a 2% difference compared to Jersey City's 6.82% difference with a 32.67% (80,885) White, 25.85% (64,002) Black population. I guess that theory doesn't pan out now does it?

Posted on: 2012/5/24 4:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I say BS. Freaking CLEVELAND has 2 TJ's! They're building one in Rochester too, neither city has anything on JC & Hudson County in terms of upscale consumers, they're dying rustbelt burgs. They have 5 stores in the twin cities. As I looked at the map of their stores, it really does start to look like racial redlining in addition to economic. They've got stores in working class white areas but not minority.

Have you ever been to Rochester? It's head and shoulders above this city, and it kicks this city's ass all over the place. I can't say the weather in Rochester is better, but Jersey City is a shithole compared to Rochester, plain and simple. The quality of life even with the shitty weather is WAY better than it is here. People "ooooo" and "ahhh" over a freaking Key Foods here. It's pathetic. You really need to wonder why Trader Joe's or Whole Foods never invested here?

I didn't say it wasn't a nice place, I said it was economically hurting, Kodak is gone, baby, gone. One reason it's nice is the century of generous Kodak largess on the town. They just don't have the hundreds of thousands of commuters, from bond traders to janitors, sucking on the NYC tit and bringing it back home to spend.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

I say BS. Freaking CLEVELAND has 2 TJ's! They're building one in Rochester too, neither city has anything on JC & Hudson County in terms of upscale consumers, they're dying rustbelt burgs. They have 5 stores in the twin cities. As I looked at the map of their stores, it really does start to look like racial redlining in addition to economic. They've got stores in working class white areas but not minority.

Have you ever been to Rochester? It's head and shoulders above this city, and it kicks this city's ass all over the place. I can't say the weather in Rochester is better, but Jersey City is a shithole compared to Rochester, plain and simple. The quality of life even with the shitty weather is WAY better than it is here. People "ooooo" and "ahhh" over a freaking Key Foods here. It's pathetic. You really need to wonder why Trader Joe's or Whole Foods never invested here?

Posted on: 2012/5/24 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Quote:
SHUT UP and GET REAL!!! Don't you suppose all the criminal activity makes JC look like a bad investment to upscale retailers??

TJs is not upscale.

Quote:
They've got stores in working class white areas but not minority.

I am not sure how accurate that above statement is but Tjs has a very strong following among minorities.

My brother's friend introduced me to TJs....while attending Med School....TJs was one of the few places where he could find decent, affordable food while living on a shoe string budget.

Focus their store map at the DC- Baltimore area, and tell me what it says to you. Look at any area elsewhere that you're familiar with the demographics. http://www.traderjoes.com/stores/index.asp In our area there's a 20 mile diameter hole in the map from Bayonne to Paterson that there's apparently no plan to fill. Minorities may love TJ's but it doesn't look like the feeling is mutual.

If I were a retailer of non-luxury grocery goods I'd look for the highest density areas I could find, the more customers within a short drive the higher the sales. Then why put a store out in Florham Park instead of in JC, the 2nd densest city in the US? That's in Morris County, with 4/5 the population of Hudson and 8 times the size. What MBA would make this decision?

Posted on: 2012/5/24 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
SHUT UP and GET REAL!!! Don't you suppose all the criminal activity makes JC look like a bad investment to upscale retailers??

TJs is not upscale.

Quote:
They've got stores in working class white areas but not minority.

I am not sure how accurate that above statement is but Tjs has a very strong following among minorities.

My brother's friend introduced me to TJs....while attending Med School....TJs was one of the few places where he could find decent, affordable food while living on a shoe string budget.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
refer to post #70:
I've lived here long enough to realize that neither Trader Joes or Whole Foods will be coming to JC. JC will never be Manhattan, and it will never even be Williamsburg (for those that are hoping). There is too much political corruption and red tape in this town for any true progress to be made. I look forward to the day Jersey City screws itself by building so many high rises without proper transit capacity....oh wait, never mind.

Maybe they figure minority is not buying what they are selling.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
refer to post #70:
I've lived here long enough to realize that neither Trader Joes or Whole Foods will be coming to JC. JC will never be Manhattan, and it will never even be Williamsburg (for those that are hoping). There is too much political corruption and red tape in this town for any true progress to be made. I look forward to the day Jersey City screws itself by building so many high rises without proper transit capacity....oh wait, never mind.

Posted on: 2012/5/24 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
refer to post #70

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am so sad to hear that it is only a rumor. I so want a TJs to come here. Whole Foods is just way to expensive....and a Costco would be cool because....BJs has really gone down hill. Whatever happened to to those yummy kosher hot dogs??? So awesome!

Forget population density.....we have yuppie overload in JC and still no TJs. :(

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I'm sick of us getting the finger from these chains like TJ's Costco & Whole Foods. If Hudson County were a single city (it's an artifact of tradition Jersey dysfunction that it's not), it would rank as the 21st largest US city, and have both a higher population and density than Boston, Baltimore, Denver and Seattle. JC is the 4th densest city in the US. WTF is with these retailers who can't see a market here?

Posted on: 2012/5/23 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The rumors are not true ? Trader Joe?s is not coming to Jersey City.

The lastest buzz on the popular supermarket coming to JC was reported by several, including @HobokenRENews, a real estate Twitter account. @HobokenREnews tweeted, ?See the new high-rise residential bldg. going up on Jersey Ave & 17th St as you leave #Hoboken? Trader Joe?s in the base, baby!?? on May 14.

There is, however, no Chilltown Trader Joe?s in the works.

?A location in Jersey City isn?t within our two-year plan,? said spokeswoman Alison Mochizuki. She declined to comment on whether or not the company would consider opening a store in Jersey City or even Hudson County.

According to the Trader Joe?s website, the closest locations are in Edgewater and across the river in New York in Chelsea and Union Square... I use Millburn and its not such a bad ride :)

Posted on: 2012/5/23 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I too smell a rumor.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I smell a rumor..

Posted on: 2012/5/18 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You can't eat chaises!!!!!!!! :(

Posted on: 2012/5/17 23:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/5 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I heard from someone in Hamilton Park today that there's a furniture store going there, not TJ. Can anyone verify?

Posted on: 2012/5/17 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Oh please be true. Oh please be true!!!!!!!!!!!

00:28:18 I had it all. I had a stereo that was very decent.

00:28:21 A wardrobe that was getting very respectable.

00:28:25 I was close to being complete.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh please be true. Oh please be true!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/5/16 1:39

Re: Trader Joes in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Good but not great if true. It's not on anyone's walk home if you don't live at that tower, but it brings a TJ's conveniently close. Love me that Belgian dark chocolate, but I won't be there for regular groceries as I would if they were in, say, the Boriquen space on Jersey.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't be surprised if the developers are working with TJ, input for store sq ft size and # of parking spots needed to place a store there. It would be an incentive for people to move into the building with TJ as an amenity.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
If true, the location wouldn't surprise me. Close to Hoboken, access to JC and the highway. They might have a light rail stop near that locale?

Posted on: 2012/5/15 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't post because it was insider information, but it is true as far as I know (still a long way to go before the building is done and ready though so I suppose it could change).

Posted on: 2012/5/15 18:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
There is nothing on the Trader Joe's website of a Jersey City or Hoboken location coming soon. Not sure how reliable a tweet from HobokenRENews might be.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:56

Trader Joes in JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/24 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know if this is true?

"According to a Tweet from @HobokenRENews yesterday Trader Joe?s is not coming to Hoboken but will be literally next door in neighboring Jersey City. Their Tweet yesterday stated:

?See the new high-rise residential building going up on Jersey Ave and 17th Street as you leave #Hoboken. Trader Joe?s in the base baby!??

http://theboken.com/hoboken-headlines ... y-city-across-the-tracks/

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:23

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017