Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come near the Grove Station!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Exactly. Please take your Yuppie foods back to your suburbs or Manhattan and stop trying to turn Jersey City into such. I'm honestly trying not to be mean or "troll" but some of you make it so hard not to.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 2:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I am so not rich at all and I shop at TJs. Many of the basics there are cheaper or equal in price to the major supermarkets. For example, Almond Milk or Soy Milk some of the major brand ones(although TJs has their own brand) is many times a dollar or more cheaper than say the local shoprite. I always pick up one or two of them.

Also, for someone who doesn't have a car at the moment the trip to Edgewater can take an hour and half(one way) or more because I can only go on the weekends. I have to take the lightrail and then wait most of the times up to 40 mins especially if its later in the evening for a NJ Transit bus. So it would be awesome to see a TJs at JC or Bayonne.

I have never really met a mean or jerky worker at TJs. And luv the free samples and free coffee they give out. Yum!

Neverleft if you want id be happy to take you to TJs and show you about....or at least go there and see for yourself before you decide it's not your kind of place. TJs does promote itself as a hipster place and I understand why...but trust me the prices and selection are not for those with silver spoons only.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
07310 wrote:

Trader Joes and WF will never come to JC, 50,000 upscale households in downtown is not enough to support these stores.

Crushthedemonic and Neverleft are more typical of the types of people and households in JC these people would never shop in upscale stores.

Thank you 07310?you have more than answered my question.

PS ? don?t tell anyone but I buy my draws at National Wholesale Liquidators on 440. I wouldn?t want my colleagues in the corporate world to find out. Shhhhh?..

Thanks cory?seems the place is not for me (or the other 230K JC'ers)?I am happy with a bud in my hand and some artery clogging red meat in my gut!.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Dare I ask? What is the big deal about Trader Joe?s?

I have migrated from Nick?s Corner Grocery -> A&P -> Shop Rite -> junk food joints?ahh college life -> Pathmark ?> Stop and Shop over the years. I have never set foot in a TJ?s so fill me in please.

Is it just the name? Is it like Kmart and Target? Both more or less sell the same crap but some people would NEVER mention that they purchased their draws in the Big K.

If it is lower prices then why does it matter if the neighborhood ?has money? or not. You rich yuppies have money to burn do you really need to save a dime on a bunch of organically grown bean spouts?

Trader Joe's is the affordable version of Whole Foods. They sell their own store brand of food in many cases that is often the same as higher priced health food labels, just packaged differently and sold to TJ's cheaper. Other times, it is an item that is made specifically for them. For example, they have their own purveyor of wine, Charles Shaw vineyards. It's pretty decent wine, but sells for $3 a bottle - three-buck-chuck. Out in California, where the yards are, it's $2 a bottle.

They're also noted for a very friendly staff and willingness to open any item for you to have a sample of.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joes and WF will never come to JC, 50,000 upscale households in downtown is not enough to support these stores.
Crushthedemonic and Neverleft are more typical of the types of people and households in JC these people would never shop in upscale stores.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Any TJs or Whole Foods would want a parking lot. Where in Downtown would they be able to open a store that has a dedicated parking lot?

I do like the idea of one opening up in Bayonne. I'd travel there for a TJs or WF.

The ones in Manhattan and Brooklyn do not have parking lots.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The person I spoke with said the demographics are not there, due to the income and also the way Jersey city residents shop as a whole.... TJ is known for selling good, wholesome food, at a reasonable cost. When people make little money they are not going to buy organic products which may cost a little more... junk food is much cheaper than healthy food.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Because it is SUUUUCH a hike to take a train to Manhattan or drive a few miles north to Edgewater.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Any TJs or Whole Foods would want a parking lot. Where in Downtown would they be able to open a store that has a dedicated parking lot?

I do like the idea of one opening up in Bayonne. I'd travel there for a TJs or WF.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Dare I ask? What is the big deal about Trader Joe?s?

I have migrated from Nick?s Corner Grocery -> A&P -> Shop Rite -> junk food joints?ahh college life -> Pathmark ?> Stop and Shop over the years. I have never set foot in a TJ?s so fill me in please.

Is it just the name? Is it like Kmart and Target? Both more or less sell the same crap but some people would NEVER mention that they purchased their draws in the Big K.

If it is lower prices then why does it matter if the neighborhood ?has money? or not. You rich yuppies have money to burn do you really need to save a dime on a bunch of organically grown bean spouts?

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The bigger problem is that Trader Joes wants a larger pool to draw from than the 45,000 downtowners or even the 90,000 or so that live Downtown and Hoboken combined. They want regional populations traveling larger distances which ultimately reduces their costs by externalizing transportation and fuel and reducing overhead.

Ian, can you reconcile your "externalities" speech with the fact that Target & Walmart keep opening stores in our area? They don't seem too concerned with market saturation or consolidated distribution. Walmart is now in Bayonne, Kearney, Secaucus & North Bergen. The Garfield & Saddle Brook stores are nearly on top of each other!

That said, TJ's does seem to have an unusual business plan: selling cheap luxury goods to upscale people. I do think if they opened a store in the Lackawanna on 18th they'd make a killing.

Yes. Target and Walmart are appealing to a different demographic than Trader Joes. They also exploit different externalities, although transportation is one of them. And also, its beginning to look like Walmart is an unsustainable pyramid scheme of growth.

TJ is essentially a grocery store. Consider the distribution of grocery stores that are not TJ. Shoprite, for instance, has a store in Hoboken and downtown and Bayonne and Kearny and N. Bergen. TJ is never that densely located.

Walmart and Target are exploiting similar externalities. The spaces they enter are very cheap and not anywhere near any other more expensive property. Consider how isolated Target was even from Newport when they opened the store. Even since development has gotten closer to the target, its still far away from everything including PATH and Light Rail.

Both Walmart and Target end up exploiting other externalities like getting governments to pay for roadway and traffic upgrades with the promise of jobs (taxpayers pay for that). They under employ their workforce leading to higher numbers of people qualifying for social benefits (again, taxpayers). Customers end up trading time waiting on longer lines for lower priced tickets. Customers also end up with cheaper products by having lower quality products that end up getting thrown out faster filling landfills (taxpayer) and causing us to buy more things (customer directly, but over a long time line so we never feel it).

As to the issue with market saturation, it does seem that Walmart at least is based on a pyramid scheme as sales at existing stores remain stagnant or fall as new stores open. Much of Walmart's growth over the five to ten years has been in new store sales. Now however there are so many stores they are beginning to cannibalize business from other Walmarts. That basically leaves a handful of urban markets that aren't over saturated, and we happen to live in one of those markets which is why they keep opening new stores.

Also, in the coming years Walmart will begin contracting their stores which they lease. Abandoning their inexpensive and poorly constructed box stores means nothing to them. (And yet another externality for communities with Walmarts: the expensive of removing, cleaning up or re-leasing abandoned box stores).

Target seems to have had less of an over saturation / cannibalize their own stores problem, but that might be just a latent issue that eventually appears later.

Eventually for Jersey City, continued demand for more real estate adjacent to Manhattan will ultimately mean Target's future empty big box store will be redeveloped into something denser, but there is a good bet that several decades from now, rent will be too high for Target in a standalone box as it is now.

Walmart has recognized these limitations and have been actively looking to adapt to an urban market. They have considered smaller stores to get a foot in the door, but still haven't penetrated a number of urban markets at all. Target has been better with periphery stores in certain locations around the city, including Newport. European stores, where land is more expensive and stores smaller in general, have resolved some issues with creating urban big box stores that we are beginning to see here, like escalators that hold shopping carts (Paramus IKEA, Whole Foods Union Square). However, the bottom line is that central real estate is still more expensive than remote real estate and its far cheaper to send customers to consolidated locations.

That said, I think you are absolutely right that the Lackawanna warehouse, if it actually evolves into a high end retail location, will be a prime destination for something like a Trader Joes catering to drivers south of Edgewater and to a lesser extent the rapidly growing, car-less gentrified population.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Salaries are too low in JC the average salary in JC as a city is about 20K... I spoke with a rep from TJ and he said they will not be coming anytime soon.... downtown is nice, but mostly renters with very little income.

Trader Joes is one of the most secretive companies in the world (their paranoia and secrecy is legendary), and I can assure you that almost no one working at a local store has any concrete knowledge about their future expansion plans.

I have no idea if TJs will ever come to JC, but I can be pretty sure whoever you talked do doesn't either.

BTW the statistic you mentioned is not one that retail planners look at. At all. Ever. Median income is irrelevant to a store siting decision. The key statistic tends to be the number of people who fit the primary and secondary target demographics that are within X miles.

If a city's median income mattered? According to the Census Bureau the median household income in Jersey City is $51,826. Which is actually higher than the New York City median income of $50,173.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I like Trader Joe's even though they do have their negatives.

Hope they open up in JC or Bayonne...which is always overlooked. By the way my fave TJs is in Edgewater because it's never crowded like the ones in NYC.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Keep your upscale people in another town.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The bigger problem is that Trader Joes wants a larger pool to draw from than the 45,000 downtowners or even the 90,000 or so that live Downtown and Hoboken combined. They want regional populations traveling larger distances which ultimately reduces their costs by externalizing transportation and fuel and reducing overhead.

Ian, can you reconcile your "externalities" speech with the fact that Target & Walmart keep opening stores in our area? They don't seem too concerned with market saturation or consolidated distribution. Walmart is now in Bayonne, Kearney, Secaucus & North Bergen. The Garfield & Saddle Brook stores are nearly on top of each other!

That said, TJ's does seem to have an unusual business plan: selling cheap luxury goods to upscale people. I do think if they opened a store in the Lackawanna on 18th they'd make a killing.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
It'll happen. Actually it's happening right now. It's just happening slowly. The real estate market downtown is going up. As soon as a neighborhood other than downtown starts noticeably gentrifying, the machine will lose power, the worst of the red tape will disappear, and people who have heeded all of the horror stories and avoided starting businesses downtown will start flocking in. Re-urbanization is a trend that is here to stay.

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
I've lived here long enough to realize that neither Trader Joes or Whole Foods will be coming to JC. JC will never be Manhattan, and it will never even be Williamsburg (for those that are hoping). There is too much political corruption and red tape in this town for any true progress to be made. I look forward to the day Jersey City screws itself by building so many high rises without proper transit capacity....oh wait, never mind.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of zip codes and population....check this out...

This is a pretty interesting link to JC zip code information.

http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Jersey-City-New-Jersey.html

Under the main map the zip codes are broken down.

Click Zip code ***** detailed profile for information about a selected zip code.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think TJ accept family first benefit cards and many shoppers in JC use this benefit.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It is a known pattern that low-income people spend their money on silly stuff squandering foolishly, just because they can. It gives them a feeling that they are keeping up with the Joneses. Years ago, when a child wanted something frivolous the parent would smack that thought right out of them stating, "What are you Rockfeller!" Today people from all lifestyles shop side by side at least for things that are somewhat affordable.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joes has overhead costs as with any business, but do you really think that staffing, rent, and their transportation costs would really put them anywhere near a loss for the entire year? They would be making money in this city if they had a good location.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yes, rush hour traffic on PATH is nightmarish but tell me a city where rush hour traffic is not chaotic

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I don't doubt that as a whole, the average income in JC is quite low. But in Downtown JC, which is a dense contingent of about 50,000 people, the average income is actually quite high.

Wouldn't Trader Joe's look at zip codes versus overall city statistics? Obviously the Chelsea/Flatiron neighborhood, which has a TJ's, is more affluent than many/most neighborhoods in greater, 5-borough NYC.

On a separate note, why is Trader Joe's so concerned about income when they evaluate expanding to other areas? I think Trader Joe's is as popular as it is because the pricing is so reasonable. Am I wrong there?

Whole Foods I understand ... they are pricey. But TJ's is REALLY reasonably priced. At times, unbelievably so.

For now 14th Street and Edgewater are close enough to service the population here, never mind that for the customer this is far from easy and convenient. That's not the point. The issue is they save money by only sending deliveries to limited locations, staffing fewer stores, paying rent on fewer locations and making the consumer travel farther. For the consumer this means actually that there is a smaller savings then is evident on the price tag because of lost time, costs of transportation to the store and transporting goods home. However, these costs are hidden and not reflected in the price tags on the goods on the shelves of Trader Joes.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
TJ is not expensive I spend about $125 a week, I use the one in Millburn but if you are making 20k a year you are better off shopping at C-town where u can spend half that and have the same amount of groceries and Trader Joes knows this.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived here long enough to realize that neither Trader Joes or Whole Foods will be coming to JC. JC will never be Manhattan, and it will never even be Williamsburg (for those that are hoping). There is too much political corruption and red tape in this town for any true progress to be made. I look forward to the day Jersey City screws itself by building so many high rises without proper transit capacity....oh wait, never mind.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't doubt that as a whole, the average income in JC is quite low. But in Downtown JC, which is a dense contingent of about 50,000 people, the average income is actually quite high.

Wouldn't Trader Joe's look at zip codes versus overall city statistics? Obviously the Chelsea/Flatiron neighborhood, which has a TJ's, is more affluent than many/most neighborhoods in greater, 5-borough NYC.

On a separate note, why is Trader Joe's so concerned about income when they evaluate expanding to other areas? I think Trader Joe's is as popular as it is because the pricing is so reasonable. Am I wrong there?

Whole Foods I understand ... they are pricey. But TJ's is REALLY reasonably priced. At times, unbelievably so.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Salaries are too low in JC the average salary in JC as a city is about 20K... I spoke with a rep from TJ and he said they will not be coming anytime soon.... downtown is nice, but mostly renters with very little income.

That's funny mostly because it shows how facts and data alone never really tells a full picture.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/11 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
People have been routinely petitioning TJ's to come to Downtown (two ideas: C-Town or the old Borinquen Hardware property) for YEARS. No luck. Hope you have better luck.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's Chelsea (543) - Opens July 12th!

675 6th Avenue (between 21st St and 22nd St)
New York, NY 10010
Phone Number: 212-255-2106
Trading Hours: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm
Beer is sold at this location

It's at the old Barnes & Noble location. One block from the PATH train.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I hear you. Perhaps the City (LOL!) might approach some of the finer supermarkets and offer some type of incentives to lure them! I went to Trader Joe's tonite in Union Square and was merrily putting stuff in the basket until I looked and saw the line...and that was at 9pm.

Trader Joe's needs more stores!

Posted on: 2010/5/3 1:50

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017