Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Tell Trader Joe's to come near the Grove Station!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/25 16:27
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, I thought I was the only one in J.C. who was desperate enough to emil T.Joes. Good to know I'm not alone. I emailed them over 6 months ago and suggested they take over the C Town. That place is disgusting. I went once, and would never go again. I drive to Edgewater also, and it just seems so wrong to drive so far to obtain good products. Jersey City needs to step it up, and having a Trader Joe's would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 20:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/12 16:59
From 2nd St.
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I'm so glad there is a topic on this. I sent them an email the other day. I second replacing smelly, old C-town with a trader joe's. I went to college near a TJs, and would have starved if they weren't around. They are so ridiculously affordable for the quality of products that they offer, but I just can't justify driving 40 minutes up the river or taking the PATH.

Posted on: 2010/5/2 14:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/19 18:04
Group:
Registered Users

A new supermarket is a major part of the plans for replacing Montgomery Gardens:

Posted on: 2010/4/30 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they just don't want to deal with the crap that goes along with opening a store in this town. They don't want to be "Coming Soon" for a year or more.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 20:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/28 13:48
From Heights!
Group:
Registered Users
OK Cerulean, your persistence finally wore me down. I sent a request as well. Love Trader Joe's, but hate driving to Edgewater!
PS - My 2 year old loves the mini shopping carts at TJ's!

Posted on: 2010/2/25 19:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/25 17:29
Group:
Registered Users
matchjames,
how many requests do you think TJ's will need to be convinced? Do you know anyone at TJ's? Please help.

This is so true.
"TJ's corporate probably sees 8 miles and thinks we're right near TJs. That's why I mentioned that Edgewater is 40 minutes away."

I feel that we have so many great points here which TJ's may have not even realized. I wonder it's worth writing a letter instead of giving them these great points one by one. Or am I too naive?

ThirdGrove,
So, you think it's easier to establish our own grocery or co-up than to convince TJ's to open a store? I have no idea what it takes to establish our own grocery or co-op. (I don't even know the difference in these two...) I have to look into that. But I have to say I like TJ brands very much and establishing our own grocery won't be same as having TJ's near us...

Wawa can wait. One at a time, if we get TJ's, we move on to Wawa

Meanwhile, you can submit the request here.

http://www.traderjoes.com/static/contact_us.html

Posted on: 2010/2/25 17:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/26 17:23
Group:
Registered Users
Great idea! I just emailed a request.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users
just a realist. Read back, I think it's a good idea to keep letting them know they have a market here. I just think the odds are very stacked against it for a half dozen different reasons I've already explained.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 2:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It's nice that they let consumers request locations, but seriously 50 requests from a local blog isn't going to make even the "feel good" grocer division of a much bigger company throw ALL their store modeling away to make it easier for people who are already going out of their way to shop them.

Do you enjoy being a cynic?

Posted on: 2010/2/25 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

clunkified wrote:
Quote:

Put simply:
1. Trader Joes will not build a store here because they have poor corporate algorithms for determining locations.

Which is why you attempt to supplement any poor data they may have with data that actually might be useful to them i.e. by requesting their store in your neighborhood. Do you think they'd have that form if they solely relied on demographic and real estate analysis data for the area? TJ's is a big small company but I doubt their practices are as rigid as a WalMart, BestBuy, McD's, even Budweiser when it comes to sourcing retail locations.

It's nice that they let consumers request locations, but seriously 50 requests from a local blog isn't going to make even the "feel good" grocer division of a much bigger company throw ALL their store modeling away to make it easier for people who are already going out of their way to shop them.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 1:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Put simply:
1. Trader Joes will not build a store here because they have poor corporate algorithms for determining locations.

Which is why you attempt to supplement any poor data they may have with data that actually might be useful to them i.e. by requesting their store in your neighborhood. Do you think they'd have that form if they solely relied on demographic and real estate analysis data for the area? TJ's is a big small company but I doubt their practices are as rigid as a WalMart, BestBuy, McD's, even Budweiser when it comes to sourcing retail locations.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
I would never go to the trader joes in the city again. The line there wraps every isle all the way to the enterance of the store. They actually have a person who holds up a sign saying "the line ends here". Then if you want wine, you have to go to a TJ's wine shop next door, wtf is that? Why can't the wine shop be combined with the rest of the store? The selection at Edgewater and Westfield is much better. Eff their city stores. Besides, I'd much rather stick the groceries in the trunk of my car then lug the bags onto a rush hour path train.

They probably make the wine store separate because you can't sell alcohol in NY on sunday.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
I would never go to the trader joes in the city again. The line there wraps every isle all the way to the enterance of the store. They actually have a person who holds up a sign saying "the line ends here". Then if you want wine, you have to go to a TJ's wine shop next door, wtf is that? Why can't the wine shop be combined with the rest of the store? The selection at Edgewater and Westfield is much better. Eff their city stores. Besides, I'd much rather stick the groceries in the trunk of my car then lug the bags onto a rush hour path train.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 23:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You're probably right, but realistically, I'd never take the PATH to go on a Trader Joe's run, because I always end up with more bags than I can carry. And I never, ever drive into the city. But yeah, that's probably what they're looking at.

Put simply:
2. People at Grove (nor would anyone else) PATH or subway to a grocery.
3. It's Trader Joes loss for failing to capture a market of people who would patronize their store.
4. Perhaps we should look into what it takes to establish our own grocery or co-op?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
You're probably right, but realistically, I'd never take the PATH to go on a Trader Joe's run, because I always end up with more bags than I can carry. And I never, ever drive into the city. But yeah, that's probably what they're looking at.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
It's true that TJ's Edgewater is only about 8 miles from downtown Jersey City, but it takes 35-40 minutes to get there in traffic because you either have to go through Hoboken or the Heights. TJ's corporate probably sees 8 miles and thinks we're right near TJs. That's why I mentioned that Edgewater is 40 minutes away when I wrote my request.

Well no, they will look at NY where it takes only 15 min to get to.

The Holland Tunnel isn't really their problem.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
It's true that TJ's Edgewater is only about 8 miles from downtown Jersey City, but it takes 35-40 minutes to get there in traffic because you either have to go through Hoboken or the Heights. TJ's corporate probably sees 8 miles and thinks we're right near TJs. That's why I mentioned that Edgewater is 40 minutes away when I wrote my request.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/18 14:37
From JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
Edgewater is a bit too far because of the fact that there is no direct route when driving. It is not very far distance wise, but it always takes a looooong time to get there; you have to factor in the lights and traffic that you will encounter, it is too much of a pain for me to go there regularly despite the fact that I love their products

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ThirdGrove wrote:
Done. I sent the request.
Alittle off topic, can we petition for a Wawa. I really wish we had a WawaResized Image

Wawa left the New York Metropolitan Area in the late 90s because they could not compete with the competition. Most Wawa's today are gas stations also. They still operate in central and south Jersey. Wawa is the best when it comes to prices and its fresh sandwiches 24/7. I would love to see like a 7- Eleven Downtown. Journal Square just opened one and I just noticed one opening in the Union Sq neighborhood. I feel like a 7- Eleven could be more of a reality.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Done. I sent the request.
Alittle off topic, can we petition for a Wawa. I really wish we had a WawaResized Image

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great points, ThirdGrove! Yes, it can happen! That's why I think it's worth sending requests to TJ.

http://www.traderjoes.com/static/contact_us.html

Please take a moment and send them an e-mail request.
I don't normally send these requests to corporates because they don't normally listen but maybe TJ will... I think this is very reasonable request and I am so desperate! Ha ha.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/17 15:41
Group:
Registered Users
I gather from earlier posts in this thread that most people living downtown don't drive. If you do drive, then Edgewater really isn't that far of a drive (6 miles from Hoboken). I would love for TJ's to open in JC but if it lacked parking, I would still go to the Edgewater location.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 6:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hmikki wrote:
The TJ in Edgewater is a very routine/boxy look. My biggest gripe with that location (apart from having to drive all the way there) is that they don't sell alcohol! TJ's has a pretty good beer selection and you can build your own 6 pack. According to a salesperson, its very hard to get a liquor permit in North Bergen!!

Check out the look of the one in Brooklyn.

Resized Image

Resized Image

I can't go there without looking at the ceiling.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah the TJ in Edgewater used to be a crappy movie theatre...saw Ace Ventura Pet Detective there. On a serious note. You can be pretty sure they aren't looking at the neighborhood, but at the city itself. How many people is that? How much revenue would that really generate? Downtown with no parking would be a horrible location. You need to attract as many people as possible so being closer to Bayonne would be ideal. The edgewater one works because well its surrounded by towns that are way more affluent then Jersey City. I mean hell there are 3 more competing markets in a mile in either direction down the road from it. It works cause it has a parking lot and is accessible by multiple towns.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 4:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:45
Group:
Registered Users
Everytime I walk down Jersey ave, btwn Christopher Col. and Newark, (often) I imagine a sort of "trader Joes-the annex". The old borinquen hardware store is where I would put it. there is no parking, but it's big, empty and maybe even equidistant from the path and lightrail. There is room in this town for all different grocery stores. Ctown is fine, shoprite is fine, whatever. What we dont have is a big, health food oriented grocer. Indepentently owned or a chain. And we want it so badly!

Posted on: 2010/2/24 3:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
matchjames: just for the record, I don't disagree with any of this... but try and convince corporate real estate planners in California (with German ownership, a sister store to Aldi in a sense) that they need to open here, and they'll point to an area that lacks in the essential demographics that have led to successful past locations. It's that simple.. there's people who will shop it, but there aren't ENOUGH.

First, I agree with you 100%. Huge corporations take minimal risks, and that's why Cali companies are few and far between while NY companies have branches everywhere. I've never had a hard time finding a Duane Reade nor a Chase bank.

Second, I think my response addresses more so the "it can't happen here" mentality that tends to prevade the forum at times. It can happen here, and if something will happen, it will happen at Grove Street.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
just for the record, I don't disagree with any of this... but try and convince corporate real estate planners in California (with German ownership, a sister store to Aldi in a sense) that they need to open here, and they'll point to an area that lacks in the essential demographics that have led to successful past locations. It's that simple.. there's people who will shop it, but there aren't ENOUGH.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 19:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
This Trader Joes will be at Grove Street, so lets insert the Grove Street perspective. Trader Joes would survive at Grove because of the neighborhood characteristics.

1. People who live at Grove walk first, PATH second, drive third. Despite misconceptions, the majority of Grove (VVPark, Harsimus, Village, HP) residents do not have cars. Don?t believe me? Look at any street, count the floors, and assume there is one unit per floor, per building. Then count the cars. The cars will never come close to the number of units. Those people are either walking or PATHing it. According to the Census 48% of JCers use public transportation while 8% walk to work, and I?m betting to wage that the proportion of those walking or using public transportation are concentrated downtown and around the PATH.

2.Grove Streeters are pretty diverse, but I am willing to wager that those who are moving in tend to be pretty young and health conscious. I?ll give you that based on the businesses that have opened up. LITM, Skinners Loft, Made With Love, Another Man?s Treasure, and The Stockinet. Compounded onto that, Shot Rite has an organic section (it never use to). Hell we have three small organic Asian supermarkets within four blocks of the PATH.

So as a Grove Streeter, I?ll say that the reason Trade Joes would succeed because people walk. TJ Edgewater because it?s not walkable. I can go to the TJ Union Square, but that?s intense. It?s a half-mile walk from the PATH station, plus the PATH ride, and the walk to the PATH plus bags of food. It?s not feasible.
If you placed a TJ at Grove, people would use it. People may even drive from Bayonne or SI or PATH from the Square, or Light-rail. We certainly aren?t oversaturated with food markets. Have you seen Shop Rite? (on a Sunday!?!)

And in defense of JC, I live here because I want to. I liked the Chili cook off, I like our library, I love my neighbors, I?ve become attune to my surroundings. I watch mercy. This place isn?t just an end to some new York means.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brume: I think you're doing all you can by emailing corporate. Keep it up and see what happens!

This whole thing would have been a lot more plausible even 5 years ago before the downturn.. lots more retailers took chances on ideas outside their model. This day and age, everything needs to be a "homerun".

Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I applaud your tenacity, but I really don't see this happening anytime soon.

YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT.

1) Last I looked, Grove Pointe is essentially filled with Duane Reade (soon to be Walgreens). Even if they did smaller than their standard size, where are you talking about putting it?

HOW ABOUT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BUILDING? THE DRY CLEANER SIDE. NOW, THE ICE CREAM SHOPS IS GONE AND THE SPACE NEXT TO IT HAS NEVER BEEN OCCUPIED.

2) The commuter argument makes no sense.... no one living in a suburban environment that parks in JC to go to NYC is going to grocery shop here before getting HOME to an easier-to-park, less frenetic TJ's than anything in JC.

BUT IF YOU ARE GETTING OFF FROM PATH YOU CAN JUST WALK TO TJ HERE INSTEAD OF GET ON YOUR CAR AND PARK AGAIN TO TJ NEAR YOUR HOUSE. NO? PLUS, THE TAX IS CHEAPER.

3) TJ's likely feels they are already serving what amounts to be a VERY small group of potential JC customers with TWO locations.... Edgewater if you have a car, 14th St. if you don't. And I only say a small group of potential customers because running demo's on 07302 shows VERY poor incomes, despite new condo's all over the place. For all the higher income families in downtown now, it's a demographic drop in the bucket against ALL of 07302, which is all they have to measure it on. That store in Edgewater is there is because they have crazy density with a MUCH more well-off shopper.

I UDERSTAND THEY USE VERY SOPHISTICATED LOCATION RESEARCH BUT I THINK THERE ARE SOMETHING YOU CAN NOT REALLY MEASURE ESPECIALLY UNIQUE AREA LIKE JERSEY CITY DOWNTOWN. DOES INCOME MATTERS THAT MUCH WHEN YOU DO GROCERY SHOPPING? I MEAN TJ IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.
YOU KNOW TOO WELL. YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE WORKING FOR TJ! PLEASE CONVINCE THEM TO COME SEE THE DOWNTOWN AGAIN AND TAKE A CHANCE! I AM SURE YOU CAN COME UP WITH THE BETTER REASON THAN I DO!

ALSO: for all our density and relatively poor incomes, we're arguably saturated with supermarkets... yes, yes, we all hate them for one reason or another but with PathMark, ShopRite AND A&P all here and thriving, TJ's doesn't stand a chance of performing where they need it to to justify the rents.

YES BUT I DON'T WANT TO SHOP AT THESE MEDIOCRE SHOPS! I GUESS THE BIGGEST ISSUE IS THE RENT, ISN'T IT?

4) The new market at 77 Hudson is going to be an independent for exactly this reason: No national chain (Whole Foods, TJ's, Fresh Market, etc.) wants Downtown Jersey City, even in a brand new luxury building.

I THINK SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE A CHANCE AND DO IT. AND I THINK AMONG THESE NATIONAL CHAIN YOU MENTIONED TJ FITS MOST IN THIS AREA.

BE ON OUR SIDE FOR A MINUTE AND PLEASE COME UP WITH GOOD REASON WHY TJ SHOULD COME TO THE DOWN TOWN, PLEASE!

Posted on: 2010/2/23 18:44

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017