Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Home Remodeling-Noise
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions! I most certainty do not want to be the difficult neighbor, its just that I don't want to be taken advantage of. (there is a house on my block that has been gutted back in August and the contractors are STILL there now, working at 9pm at night and all day on the weekends, I am terrified that this is going to happen here as well)

I am going to look into the permit situation and i intend on talking to him. If hours are 7am-6pm, than I expect him to abide by the rules (I am sure if the rolls were reversed he would feel the same!), otherwise I will be calling that office and reporting it!

Being that we share a wall does he or the town "officially" have to notify us that this construction is taking place? I am more so concerned about damage to my property and the structural integrity of my house if they are going to be working on our shared walls that obviously contain my piping!

Posted on: 2010/2/21 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Construction, repair or alteration of buildings. The erection (including excavation), demolition, alteration or repair of any building other than between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, except in case of urgent necessity in the interest of public health and safety, and then only with the permission of the Construction Official. Such a permit may be granted for a period not to exceed three (3) days or less while the emergency continues, and such permit may be renewed for periods of three (3) days or less while the emergency continues. If the Construction Official determines that the public health and safety will not be impaired by the erection, demolition, alteration or repair of any building or the excavation of streets and highways between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m., and, if he or she shall further determine that loss or inconvenience would result to any party in interest, he or she may grant permission for such work to be done within the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. upon application being made at the time the permit for the work is awarded or during the progress of the work.*

Posted on: 2010/2/21 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
You can really screw this guy with the proper ammo. As long as you are in the right or more like he's not then go all out call the Housing Code Authority (201) 547-4825, the Building Dept /Construction Code (201) 547-5055/5068 and the Zoning office (201) 547-6564 As far as noise is concerned 10pm is the cut off. I find that a lot of new comers in Jersey City feel it is "ok" to do what they like especiallly those that are new to the U.S. so just stand your guard and always keep in mind what is correct. If he is building a new addition then he may have to pay more taxes, give me the address so I can check him out to make sure he is complying or at least post it. I bet he will be extra nice to you now that you are on to him.
Remember PERMITS, PERMITS, PERMITS !!!

Posted on: 2010/2/21 4:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/31 20:08
Group:
Registered Users
If your neighbor has a permit, as far as I know they can start at 8am and I think they have to be finished by a certain time which is either 6 or 7pm. I am not sure about Saturday work.

I had situations like this before. It is best to talk it out and come to an agreement on work practices asking to be done by 7pm or not start work early Saturdays. Sometimes being flexible will result in the work being performed in a shorter time frame.

If that doesn't work and work is being done at all hours of the night or early on weekends you can call City Hall to report work being done after hours to the housing inspector. They will check if the proper permits were obtained and could issue a stop order if the proper protocol is not followed.

I needed to use both approached over the past few years. Both work but I would suggest using the first approach first.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not certain of the allowable hours, but I'm reasonably sure work is allowed Mon-Sat.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 19:09

Home Remodeling-Noise
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering if anyone new the rules/laws in DT JC for home remodeling. I recently purchased a row house and we share a wall with the house next door. Our neighbor is gutting the house and I am concerned about noise. I completely understand they want to redo their house, and that I purchase a property with a shared wall but I fear that it will be demolition time next door 24hrs a day, 7days a week (he mentioned the project will take months) and I won't be able to come home after work and relax, or that I'll have to put up with it all weekend long. Being this is my house and where I live (and I am also concerned about the structural integrity of my own property being effected by this), I don't really have any other place to go to get away from it all. I found online that construction is only M-F 7am-6pm, does anyone know if this is valid?

Posted on: 2010/2/20 18:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017