Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: City staffer retires with huge payout then rehired by City
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
If these two former employees were that 'valuable', why doesn't the city make the case for it & convince the public that they really are THAT great with what they do? And if they are truly indispensable with their jobs not yet done, why did they retire, especially at this time of crisis?

And one of these experts (I use the term loosely), "worked on the budget, capital accounts and fiscal matters"? Hello! We're in fiscal distress & these former employees surely had a hand getting us all in this mess -- what an accomplishment to add on their resume. And for their expertise, they got compensated royally. Sweet.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that these retirees wanted to further take advantage of the system, one that allowed them to take money the city doesn't have -- before the rules change. And for those elected officials who facilitated it & allowed it to happen, how have you served your constituents? That's a rhetorical question because we know you've never been accountable for your actions ... parasitic leeches all of you, one & all.

The public has lost its respect & trust for this administration. They've made a mess & each one responsible will leave a bigger mess behind them as they leave or die off.

A change for the better has to take shape & it's just a matter of time -- many people are working on this & we need that critical mass to make it happen.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 15:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Friday, March 12, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Two longtime Jersey City employees who collected big payouts upon retirement will not be returning as consultants.

Business Administrator Brian O'Reilly said the city is losing "knowledgeable senior employees" and retaining Grego and Dealy as consultants would "address the immediate needs."

The shared services agreement would have allowed Grego, who worked on the city's labor contract negotiations, the budget and capital project development, to work for both the library and city.

The agreement with Dealy, who worked on the budget, capital accounts and fiscal matters, would have allowed her to work for the MUA and on the city's budget.

Happy ending.

As for 'budget' experience, a group of high school students could do a better job. Balancing a checkbook is not rocket science.

Posted on: 2010/3/13 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe they have loost scores of quality editors.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jeez, another "losing" vs. "loosing" mistake..

Quote:

The city is loosing scores of employees due to pending state legislation supported by Gov. Chris Christie that would cap retirement payouts at $15,000.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Sometimes all the yelling and protesting actually leads to something. Seems as though there is awareness that people are watching.

2 Jersey City retirees who got big payouts won't be back as consultants, City Council learns
Friday, March 12, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Two longtime Jersey City employees who collected big payouts upon retirement will not be returning as consultants.

Council members David Donnelly, Steve Fulop and Viola Richardson had planned to present resolutions to rescind agreements with the Jersey City Free Public Library and Municipal Utilities Authority to hire retirees Roger Grego and Kathy Dealy respectively.

But the MUA resolution was pulled at Monday's caucus after City Clerk Robert Byrne said Dealy declined to take the position.

And at Wednesday's regular council meeting, Byrne announced that the Library Board of Trustees decided not to hire Grego. The library did not return a call for comment yesterday.

Grego and Dealy both retired Feb. 1.

Grego was an assistant business administrator and was paid $238,138 for 127 unused vacation days, 356 sick days and six personal days. Dealy was chief of administrative services and was paid $133,447 for 60 unused vacation days, 269 sick days and six personal days.

The council originally approved the shared services agreements in February.

In a memo to the council, Business Administrator Brian O'Reilly said the city is losing "knowledgeable senior employees" and retaining Grego and Dealy as consultants would "address the immediate needs."

The shared services agreement would have allowed Grego, who worked on the city's labor contract negotiations, the budget and capital project development, to work for both the library and city.

The agreement with Dealy, who worked on the budget, capital accounts and fiscal matters, would have allowed her to work for the MUA and on the city's budget.

The city is loosing scores of employees due to pending state legislation supported by Gov. Chris Christie that would cap retirement payouts at $15,000.

About 50 firefighters have retired since the start of the year. They are entitled to $5 million in payouts.

The city only has $7 million budgeted for payouts in the current fiscal year, which ends June 30.

Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy has said he is working on a plan to stretch the payments out over time.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
In actuality, this is a desease. This problem is so widespread. This problem trickles down and this is the end result This clip is interesting. IMO, this is where it all started: Word has it the starting salary for Grego is 80,000.00. This figure could be wrong though... It's all a racket!

Posted on: 2010/3/3 14:04
I am a rock, I am an Island... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries...Simon & Garfunkle

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Do city workers get bonuses?

Yes

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... ses_to_dismiss_lawsu.html

Posted on: 2010/3/3 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds more like this 'staffer' would have the dirt on most employees and elected officials if the 'staffer' has heaps years up with city hall.
This would be the person an author would love to sit down with to write about JC politics and local government corruption.....The name for the book could be called "MUD on the HUDSON"

This 'staffer' is most likely re-employed in a nice relaxing drama-free position with zero accountability and plenty of time off.

Posted on: 2010/3/1 20:22
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Do city workers get bonuses? How about stock options?

Posted on: 2010/3/1 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To ALL city employees:

(what the higher ranks consider as "the nobodies").

http://union-organizing.com/weingarten.html

Don't let Mr. Grego bully you or anybody else for that matter.

Posted on: 2010/3/1 14:41
I am a rock, I am an Island... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries...Simon & Garfunkle

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Charon wrote:
Grego won't be working in any library. He's doing the same job he's always done at City Hall (albeit badly).

I hear he spent Thursday and Friday checking up on City staff as to whether anyone came in because of the snow. An attendance monitor for a $230K payout, a full pension and another salary via the library payroll.

We can never forget that everything that Hitler did in Germany was ?legal,? and everything the Hungarian freedom fighters did was ?illegal.? It was ?illegal? to aid and comfort a Jew in Hitler?s Germany, but I am sure that if I lived in Germany during that time I would have comforted my Jewish brothers even though it was illegal? we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive.

? Martin Luther King, Jr

Posted on: 2010/3/1 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Grego won't be working in any library. He's doing the same job he's always done at City Hall (albeit badly).

I hear he spent Thursday and Friday checking up on City staff as to whether anyone came in because of the snow. An attendance monitor for a $230K payout, a full pension and another salary via the library payroll.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 17:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dontstealmyrocks wrote:

Mr. Grego hasn't even started working in the library yet or has he?

I would like to find out when he starts working and exactly what he'll be doing. Will he be visiting all library branches, meeting with various departments, employees, face to face, working 9-5 and punching a time clock OR conducting his consulting research behind closed doors or worse, from home?

Posted on: 2010/2/28 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The "nobodies" are still being bullied by the "somebodies". Usually, during a snow storm, for the safety of all city employees they wouldn't be allowed to work. Yesterday, as well as today the roads are very slippery. I saw cars slipping and slidding all over the place, I almost had an accident in my own car it wouldn't stop when I would put the brakes. And yet the city agencies didn't close, like the library... Mr. Grego hasn't even started working in the library yet or has he?

Posted on: 2010/2/26 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DickCheney wrote:
Imagine, you can retire, get paid for your "banked" sick, personal and vacation days and then get your old job back while collecting your pension.

Great country America........as long as you work for the government.

There once was a time in the past when the "Directors" of the library (back in the day) wouldn't have allowed anyone from City Hall to step one foot in the Jersey City library System.

Grim and Livermore must be turning over in their graves right now...just saying...

Posted on: 2010/2/25 12:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Imagine, you can retire, get paid for your "banked" sick, personal and vacation days and then get your old job back while collecting your pension.

Great country America........as long as you work for the government.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 3:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed ... 'unused' just means 'unreported'. Of course he took days off!!

Posted on: 2010/2/24 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Chumps?
Who exactly, in this senario, are the chumps?

Doh! I know, right?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 22:15
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
Who is marking down "stayed home sick" on these chumps' time cards? No one I know.

Chumps?
Who exactly, in this senario, are the chumps?

Posted on: 2010/2/24 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Sick days should not be paid out if you do not take them. It's f*cking bullshit.

Why do people assume these sick days and vacation days weren't taken? I mean, really, at this point, who is to say they didn't go on vacation and stay home in bed? Who is marking down "stayed home sick" on these chumps' time cards? No one I know.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:24
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... xes-28-part-time-workers/

Jersey City Library Axes 28 Part-Time Workers

By Jon Whiten ? Feb 24th, 2010 ?
The city has confirmed that the Jersey City Free Public Library terminated 28 part-time employees across the library system last Friday. The move is expected to save $116,664 in this fiscal year, and it comes on the heels of one branch closure and upcoming hour reductions at the main library branch. The library has 109 full-time employees remaining on staff.

Last year, the city appropriated $8.28 million to run the free library system; in the Fiscal Year 2010 budget proposed last month, that number was cut to $7.72 million.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Reece wrote:
Quote:

dontstealmyrocks wrote:

They just laid off all part-timers, critical in the daily operation of the library, and more layoffs are possibly looming...just saying...

So the Library axed the part time staff. But it isn?t mentioned they let library staff go in any of the recent news articles because I?ve gone back looking for it. It appears the City want us to believe the library was untouched. See below article from the Reporter:

?279 City workers axed?

?City Hall is going ahead with plans to lay off approximately 279 seasonal and provisional employees by the end of this month, officials said.? ?This wave of layoffs is just the start. Morrill added, ?A workforce reduction for permanent employees is still on the table.? ?The following city departments are laying off seasonal and provisional employees:

? Recreation, 148 seasonal and three provisional
? Health and Human Services, 49 seasonal, mostly from Cultural Affairs
? Public Works, three provisional, 26 seasonal
? Police, 16 provisional, one seasonal
? Business Administrator, 15 seasonal, three provisional
? Housing, Economic Development and Commerce, nine provisional
? Mayor?s Office, two unclassified mayoral aides, one seasonal
? City Clerk/Council, one seasonal
? Tax Assessor, one provisional
? Law Department, one seasonal?

?During these difficult economic times, it is critical that we streamline government and reduce spending.? ? Jennifer Morrill?

Streamline government. What a big joke. The library quietly axed their own then moved full speed ahead to create a bogus job for Grego as a consultant. Why would the library need a consultant? Are they that messed up? If so, then replace the director with somebody with library experience, that works within the library, understands library functions and can do the job, preferably for a smaller salary and with a conscience.

Still scratching my head...just saying...Did somebody, somewhere think that this was to go unoticed?

Of course if they are in charge of the store, no one is watching, so it could be possible to manipulate the system.

This is truly scary, think of the things they have possibly have gotten away with that we DON'T know about.

This can only create mistrust in some of our elected officials and those "in charge"

Posted on: 2010/2/24 1:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dontstealmyrocks wrote:

They just laid off all part-timers, critical in the daily operation of the library, and more layoffs are possibly looming...just saying...

So the Library axed the part time staff. But it isn?t mentioned they let library staff go in any of the recent news articles because I?ve gone back looking for it. It appears the City want us to believe the library was untouched. See below article from the Reporter:

?279 City workers axed?

?City Hall is going ahead with plans to lay off approximately 279 seasonal and provisional employees by the end of this month, officials said.? ?This wave of layoffs is just the start. Morrill added, ?A workforce reduction for permanent employees is still on the table.? ?The following city departments are laying off seasonal and provisional employees:

? Recreation, 148 seasonal and three provisional
? Health and Human Services, 49 seasonal, mostly from Cultural Affairs
? Public Works, three provisional, 26 seasonal
? Police, 16 provisional, one seasonal
? Business Administrator, 15 seasonal, three provisional
? Housing, Economic Development and Commerce, nine provisional
? Mayor?s Office, two unclassified mayoral aides, one seasonal
? City Clerk/Council, one seasonal
? Tax Assessor, one provisional
? Law Department, one seasonal?

?During these difficult economic times, it is critical that we streamline government and reduce spending.? ? Jennifer Morrill?

Streamline government. What a big joke. The library quietly axed their own then moved full speed ahead to create a bogus job for Grego as a consultant. Why would the library need a consultant? Are they that messed up? If so, then replace the director with somebody with library experience, that works within the library, understands library functions and can do the job, preferably for a smaller salary and with a conscience.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
State to investigate Jersey City pension payouts

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
February 22, 2010, 6:35PM

The state Division of Pensions and Benefits will conduct an investigation into two long-time Jersey City employees who retired but are staying on the city payroll, according to the governor?s office.

?The obvious question is whether they are bona fide retirements,? said Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for Gov. Chris Christie. ?After all, they are returning to public employment, not before taking these mega payoffs on the backs of taxpayers.?

Jersey City Assistant Business Administrator Roger Grego and Chief of Administrative Services Kathy Dealy retired Feb. 1.

Grego was paid $238,138.11 for 127 unused vacation days, 356 unused sick days and six personal days. Dealy was paid $133,447.26 for 60 unused vacation days, 269 unused sick days and six personal days.

The Municipal Utilities Authority is hiring Dealy as a part-time consultant and the Jersey City Public Library is hiring Grego as a consultant.

"Maybe what?s going on here is what it really looks like and that is a subterfuge to avoid pension system regulations,? Drewniak said.

Through a shared services agreement approved by the City Council last week, both can continue work on city finance matters, including the budget, which is set to be voted on tomorrow.

?They can investigate what they want,? Grego said when reached at home. ?I didn?t do anything illegal. I robbed no one. I played by the rules.?

He declined to comment further. Dealy could not be reached for comment.

City Hall was closed today because workers were on furlough and officials could not be reached for comment.

The state Department of Treasury could not confirm late today whether the Division of Pension and Benefits is investigating. Dealy and Grego are among a number of city employees who are paid through a municipal pension system rather than the state's.

Christie has been a strong supporter of pension reform, including a cap on sick-time payouts. The Senate approved the legislation 36-0 today, though it would grandfather anyone currently in the pension system.

For new employees however, if the Assembly approves the bill and it becomes law, sick-time would be capped at $15,000. The Assembly is expected to introduce its version Thursday.

Sen. Sandra Cunningham, D-Jersey City, a co-sponsor of the sick-time legislation said something had to be done to cap payouts.

?I think in the current economic time we have to do something. Capping the system is necessary,? she said. ?The state can?t afford it, the municipalities can?t afford it. It?s just too difficult. We can?t afford it anymore.?

But Cunningham said it?s nothing personal against public employees.

?Many of those people that leave with their sick time, they?re hard working people I understand they put in their time, but at this time it needs to be capped,? she said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... nvestigate_jersey_ci.html

Posted on: 2010/2/23 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Grego walked away with $238,138.11 for 127 unused vacation days, 356 sick days and six personal days.

City work rules don't allow anyone to carry over more than one year of vacation or personal days. Yet Grego carryed over and got paid for multiple years. Just another example of how special rules are set up for the politically connected.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/2/22 19:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Its not so hard to see why this happened. The guy was playing by one set of rules and the state tried to change those rules. Why should he have given up earned and accrued time just because of a new law? Isn't it reasonable to assume he would have used the time had "use it or lose it" policy been in place over the years that he accrued the benefits? Presumably, a rational human being would have used it.

As to the virtue of a "use it or lose it" policy, it simply doesn't make sense to punish people who show up for work. Use it or lose it encourages people to use their accrued benefits, meaning they are absent from the jobs they are expected to do. In some cases this can end up costing everyone more if another worker accrues overtime to cover the extra work when another employee is using his time off.

Sick days should not be paid out if you do not take them. It's f*cking bullshit.

Do you really think that if sick days fell under a "use it or lose it policy," there wouldn't be more sick days taken by employees? Really? Are you that naive? Only an idiot would leave unused sick days expire.

At least under the old system, public employees were encourage to show up for work.

My last employer gave us unlimited sick days that reset at the first of January. Generally it was not abused. Perhaps every now and then, you may take a day if you are not 100% sick, but not feeling great (or even hung over) but I have to say that I personally would average about 4 days a year. A responsible, ADULT would not abuse such a policy. And if abuse started to happen, it's grounds for firing.

Employees, public or not, should not have to be "encouraged" to show up for work. The fact that you have a job and get paid for actually DOING the work should be encouragement enough. What is with your hand holding policy?

While I think it's perfectly fair to pay out unused vacation days, sick days should be off the table. It is ridiculous, you get rewarded for not being sick? Come on!

Posted on: 2010/2/22 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I think the point is once an employer, public or private, begins to quantify how often someone is allowed to be ill, sick days cease to be an emergency measure and immediately become a commodity. With an open system lacking a finite amount of allowed sick time, I think you are more likely to have honest employees that only call out when they are in fact sick.

However, by quantifying allowed sick time, the employer immediately makes sick days a commodity with an inherent value. Under a system where accrued sick days are paid out, either at the end of the year or the end of the term of employment, then that unused sick time has a fiscal value; when sick time expires without any payout, the only means of realizing the value of that sick time is exclusively by using it.

So in a system with expiring sick time, I think you are much more likely to have people calling out with the slightest hint of illness then if it can be accrued or has a fiscal value outside of time off.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Every year thousands of people graduate with Degrees in Library Science. Why not sack everyone at the library all at once, right now, and replace them-every single person on the Library payroll, from the members of the Board right down to the interns-with young motivated recent library Science graduates at a starting salary level. I picture a day when everyone cleans out their desks and vacates the buildings. The next day it?s 100% new staff. After a month of absolute chaos, a functional modern library system would emerge, one that costs less than the antiquated dysfunctional and patronage bloated mess we suffer with today.
How bad would that be? As a person that hates the corruption in this city, loves books, loves libraries but hates the J.C. Library, I would have no problem with seeing a complete changing of the guard.

There has to be some good apples on the tree...just saying...

Posted on: 2010/2/22 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
A reasonable, honest person uses maybe 3 or 4 sick days a year. I haven't used one in two years and the people in my immediate work area use only a couple in a year. Perhaps the lack of reasonable, honest people in the public sector explains the need for a generous sick day policy. I have worked in both the public and private sectors. The private sector jobs never had formal sick day policies, other than maybe a doctor's note for an extended leave. In effect, they were unlimited, as it was left to the employee to take them as needed. The public sector job gave you one sick day a month, and people would actually plan on using them in advance, often around a long holiday weekend, especially around Christmas and Thanksgiving, after having saved a few during the year. Sick day "allowances" were seen more as "entitlements". Although I do not think much of the work ethic (or general ethics) of most of the public sector, I think letting them take sick days as needed, with no accumulations or carryovers, might actually result in fewer sick days being taken overall.

Posted on: 2010/2/22 14:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017