Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Rally at City Hall 1/27/10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/11 0:51
From Country Village
Group:
Registered Users
Both my husband and myself will be at the rally! Enough is enough!! We're going to try to get some other neighbors to join in as well.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 0:07

Re: Rally at City Hall Wednesday, Jan 27?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/27 3:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Charon wrote:

The one issue that no one speaks about is our bloated public safety budget. 80 % of the City's budget goes to Police and Fire. Ever stop to see how many chiefs there are in the JCFD ? How many uniformed personnel in both Police and Fire are administrative staff and pull down ridiculously high salaries ? And another example of double-dipping, Police and Fire hire back retired staff as civilians, they draw their pensions while drawing another City salary.

However, public safety is the third rail in municipal politics. None of our craven poltiicians would ever dare suggest laying off Police and Fire.

Dead on. You can't touch the police and fire and it seems evident they know that. There are 2.2 uniformed firemen for every 1 JCFD employee at the rank of captain or above. Other similar sized cities tend to run at 6:1 or 7:1. The average person (includes everyone in the department) in the fire department makes $99,000-something per year.

I keep thinking that nothing this city does would surprise me in terms of ineptitude of managing finances...but T-Bird you always find a way to shock me And yes, I'll be there Wednesday

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Charon wrote:

The one issue that no one speaks about is our bloated public safety budget. 80 % of the City's budget goes to Police and Fire. Ever stop to see how many chiefs there are in the JCFD ? How many uniformed personnel in both Police and Fire are administrative staff and pull down ridiculously high salaries ? And another example of double-dipping, Police and Fire hire back retired staff as civilians, they draw their pensions while drawing another City salary.

However, public safety is the third rail in municipal politics. None of our craven poltiicians would ever dare suggest laying off Police and Fire.

Dead on. You can't touch the police and fire and it seems evident they know that. There are 2.2 uniformed firemen for every 1 JCFD employee at the rank of captain or above. Other similar sized cities tend to run at 6:1 or 7:1. The average person (includes everyone in the department) in the fire department makes $99,000-something per year.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amen! Can you imagine if Police Chief Comey had to go out and pass the physical fitness portion of the police academy test??? Not quite the same thing, but a very entertaining thought nonetheless.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I know for a fact mine have doubled since I bought my house in 2004.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I just looked at my tax bill and YIKES! At first I thought it was the total tax for the 1st half of 2010? It seems like my raxes have doubled or something over the past 2-3 years?

Posted on: 2010/1/22 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
We can only hope that the residents of Jersey City will finally come out and show Healy and his captive council members that enough is enough. They for years have done anything they want. They are arrogant, clueless and have no regard for the Residents of Jersey City.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
I would suggest we make everybody re-take their civil service test. Let's see who passes and who fails.

Amen! Can you imagine if Police Chief Comey had to go out and pass the physical fitness portion of the police academy test??? Not quite the same thing, but a very entertaining thought nonetheless. However, I digress.

So who will show up Wedensday night? I will.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 16:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 21:00
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I'll show up for the rally too! If we can organize through our block and neighborhood associations (those who have them), then we could really rally together a larger crowd!

Posted on: 2010/1/22 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
I would suggest we make everybody re-take their civil service test. Let's see who passes and who fails.

Amen! Can you imagine if Police Chief Comey had to go out and pass the physical fitness portion of the police academy test??? Not quite the same thing, but a very entertaining thought nonetheless. However, I digress.

So who will show up Wedensday night? I will.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I had a pothole filler truck yesterday in my area & it came with a crew of 5. 1 driver, 2 were standing doing donting, 1 went back in truck 2 read the paper with the driver who was already napping & 1 walked 2 blocks to the store.
No cop necessary.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
The furloughs are a joke. There should have been significant layoffs - like in the private sector. The city govt is bloated and should be reduced.

Those 4 firehouse closings are deceptive as well. If you read the JJ article closely, they didn't actually layoff anybody. They just got "reassigned". How is that going to save money?

There needs to be a bottom to top and top to bottom review of everybody's job with the city and excess removed. At some companies, you had to re-interview for your job.

I saw a public works truck on Christopher Columbus Drive the other week. They were filling potholes. What stood out was it took like 7 people plus a police officer watching.

Why does it take 7 people to fill potholes? I think there was the truck driver, a supervisor, one guy shoveling the asphalt, another guy to smooth it, another guy with a machine to flatten it, and two guys to move the orange cones to alert traffic. Plus the cop.

This is CRAZY and just one example of waste.

FG

Posted on: 2010/1/22 14:43

Rally at City Hall Wednesday, Jan 27?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I hope this is going to have heavy participation - if it's another gathering of a couple dozen people who appear to be loitering, more harm is done than good. Is there any organized appeal to get people to come out (other than the JJ article)?

[edit: deleted the photo and caption code]

City Hall rally to protest Jersey City budget set for Wednesday
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 22, 2010, 6:00AM

In a rush to receive $14 million in state aid before Jon S. Corzine left the governor's office, the City Council introduced a $492 million budget that if left unchanged could hike taxes for the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 by as much as $800.

City officials have said they intend to make cuts to lessen the expected tax hike.

Esther Winter, a city resident since 1987, said she normally reads the news, not makes it. But when she read about the proposed budget, she was angry and decided to do something.

She posted a thread on www.JCList.com and now has other city residents riled up and ready to protest at Wednesday's City Council meeting.

"I really have a feeling that things are just ripe right now," she said. "People have really had it and people start to find out that property taxes are going up again."

Winter said crime remains a problem, the schools are failing to meet state standards and services are being cut, all while taxes are increasing, including an 11 percent hike last year.

"It's enough," she said. "I have yet to see the City Council do what many people have had to go through now, which is take a reduction in salary. A lot of people have taken a reduction in salary to save their jobs."

City workers have taken a hit. They have been forced to take 12 furlough days, including today, without pay over a six-month period to help reduce the budget.

The rally is planned for outside City Hall, 280 Grove St., before the 6 p.m. meeting.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 13:50

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017