Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Park & Sixth Comfort Food on Grove Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 23:41
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Guys,

Thank you for the feedback good and bad. The bad will definitely be addressed and we will continue to deliver tasty food. Please feel free to stop in and pull me aside any time.

Thanks

Brian

Posted on: 2012/5/4 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
We just recently discovered Park & Sixth. I've had dinner there and we also pick up lunch at work at least once a week. All I can say is fantastic. The food is very very good. We are hooked on the meatball and chicken parm sandwich - which is a bit of a problem for us that watch our cholesterol. Honestly, the best I've ever tasted. I do not know who the 'other' woman is that the last person spoke of, but I must say that we are very impressed with the 'young' women that serve there. They are consistently knowledgeable and very courteous!

Posted on: 2012/5/4 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
I miss the woman with dark brown hair that used to be behind the counter before they hired the young girls. She was really friendly, remembered your face, and was very attentive and professional. I know guys like to have cute young things wait on them but I'd just prefer good service. I love their food and will continue to go back but I can no longer rave about their good service :(

yes! she was awesome. didn't realize she'd left for good.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
I miss the woman with dark brown hair that used to be behind the counter before they hired the young girls. She was really friendly, remembered your face, and was very attentive and professional. I know guys like to have cute young things wait on them but I'd just prefer good service. I love their food and will continue to go back but I can no longer rave about their good service :(

Posted on: 2012/5/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've found the women to be pleasant, but rather abrupt. Maybe a little curt, as though I'm interrupting something important. It's not noticeable enough to keep me from coming back, thought. And by Jersey City standards, they're absolutely charming.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will say that the several times that I've eaten/drank beer at the bar there, the girls working there were friendly enough.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I love the food at Park and Sixth (beast burger every time) and the service is always adequate. I have to agree with that last post though, there are two girls there that always have the nastiest demeanor. Other than the two unfriendly problem children, the male staff is usually warm and welcoming. So glad you guys have the bar now, keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2012/5/4 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Went in the other day for a sandwich....which was, as usual, great. Service, however, was terrible. I had to stand there a good 5 minutes before one of the two girls working there asked me if I wanted to order something. They both were very unfriendly.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Fried chicken night?

make it so.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 23:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/21 22:10
From West Side
Group:
Registered Users
You've done a great job with the restaurant, Brian. Thank you for bringing some original and delicious eats to JC. Adding beers on tap just ensures that I'll continue to come in regularly!

So, can I order the fried chicken off-menu anytime?

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:27

Re: Park & Sixth Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skipperdoodle wrote:
"I would definitely entertain designating one night a week as "Fried Chicken Night" if the interest presented itself."

Heck yeah! Especially if you use tastier free-range chicken.

seconded. (and thirded, by Mr. Biscuit.)

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
"I would definitely entertain designating one night a week as "Fried Chicken Night" if the interest presented itself."

Heck yeah! Especially if you use tastier free-range chicken.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 3:35

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Brian. I like what you're doing at Park&sixth. I have eaten there about ten times now and have enjoyed it every time. I like that I can get a good quick meal and a tasty beer in a cool setting. Thanks for coming to JC.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 0:05

Park & Sixth Update

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good afternoon All JC-Listers,

From time to time I chime in with an update on Park & Sixth detailing where we've been, where we're headed and the various changes we've made. And there have been many. Of course I do this to shamelessly promote my restaurant, but I also am a faithful JC List fan and use the site for information. As a denizen of Jersey City myself, I love the scoops. I scroll the site for the important stuff, such as, who has the best fried chicken? Who is bitching whom? What is the preferred dog walking service? And naturally where was Snooky last night? Its all fodder for the inquisitive mind. Brain candy for my dopey head, ya know?

Oh, and its not on my menu, but I would throw my fried chicken into the mix as the best in Jersey City. I soak the birds in buttermilk, smoked paprika and hot sauce overnight. The next morning the breasts, thighs and wings are dredged in flour mixed with garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary dust and cayenne pepper. Here's a secret, though, I double dip. Those breasts, thighs and wings go back into the buttermilk pool and are then re-dredged in the flour mixture. I fry the pieces three times always lifting them out of the hot oil every six to seven minutes to allow the juices to redistribute.

The process is laborious, hence the reason it's not on my menu, but damn if it doesn't make the tastiest, crustiest fried bird on earth. I would definitely entertain designating one night a week as "Fried Chicken Night" if the interest presented itself. Chime in and let me know.

Anyway, the last few months have been really exciting at Park & Sixth. I find myself writing larger checks to my liquor distributors every month, which means the acquisition of the liquor license was a prudent move, though I sold the rights to my first born to secure it. Those things aint cheap.

The Friday and Saturday nights small plates menu is now seven weeks old. I'm proud and relieved to say it's been a huge success. With virtually zero marketing, as my marketing budget has been spent bringing my dog to K9dergarten everyday, we've been packed every Friday and Saturday night. That's not a dig on K9dergarten, the facility and the staff are awesome. I just have no money.

As always, our customers are the best. I see the same faces everyday, but the number of new faces astonishes me, which means we're healthy and growing. We've received stellar Yelp reviews with a few indifferent here and there. I always make it my business to address the negative feedback immediately and tweak, correct and change. Park & Sixth is a process. I know we have great food, but sometimes we have bad days, sometimes our egos, my ego, blind the big picture. The big picture is: How can we justify a customer coming into our restaurant and spending his or her hard earned dollars on our food, ambiance and experience? How can we make sure they leave happy? Food for thought

Have a great day!

Brian Dowling
Owner
Park & Sixth Comfort Food

Posted on: 2012/5/2 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
lol, lipitor. that was cute. look forward to it.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 22:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
I will definitely be by for that Wasabi Mary. YUM.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
at least there's happy hour

Posted on: 2012/2/8 18:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It is in my lease that I can only stay open until 11:00. Thanks for the question

Brian

Posted on: 2012/2/8 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any plans for the bar to stay open past 11 pm in the future?

Posted on: 2012/2/8 14:40

Park & Sixth Update

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good Afternoon All Jc-Listers,

It has been a few months since I've chimed in with an update regarding Park & Sixth. And in that time some exciting stuff has transpired. It is my pleasure to announce anyone can now "get their drink" on as we acquired a liquor and package goods license.

Our libation offerings include an eclectic mix of bottled American craft beers and two rotating drafts on tap, an affordable list of wines by the bottle and glass (all about 8 bucks,) and a "concoctions" menu featuring two homemade Bloody Mary's, one of which called the "Wasabi Mary" boasts freshly ground ginger, soy sauce and wasabi root infused vodka.

I am also proud to announce that my gamble several months back to change Park & Sixth from what was essentially a deli to a full service restaurant has proven the prudent move. Believe me, I was sweating the decision big time. It could have been the kiss of death to shut down, renovate and change concepts before our one year anniversary. I owe a big fat "Thank You" to our loyal customers who kept an open mind and gave us the benefit of a second chance. I also owe a debt of gratitude to my staff, who work long hard hours, endure my incessant bitching, and "get it." They get that we strive for excellence in providing awesome fresh food and top notch customer service. They surprise me every day.

Now on to the last bit of exciting news. Beginning Friday, March 2nd, our small plates menu will be unveiled. On Friday and Saturday nights only at 5:00 PM, our every-day menu will be replaced with a new "sharing plates" menu of what I call "elevated comfort food." My staff and I have been working on the recipes for several months. I'm pretty confident it won't disappoint.

Here is a sneak preview of the menu:

Small Plates

Soup
Roasted Tomato, Chipotle, Aged Cheddar Crouton 7

Muzz
House Mozzarella, Tomato, Basil, Balsamic Glaze, Basil Oil 7

Garbage Salad
Zucchini, Rabe, Portobello, Roasted Peppers, Red Onion, Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette 7

Sprouts
Brussel Sprout Hash, Garlic, Hot Cherry Peppers, Bacon, Parmigiana 8

Taters
Dirty Smashed Potatoes, Roasted Garlic, Butter, Cream Cheese, Lipitor 7

Rabe
Broccoli Rabe, Sliced Garlic, Red pepper Flake, Lemon Zest, Olive Oil 7

A Party In You Mouth
Philly Cheese Steak Spring Rolls, Sambal Glaze 8

Rigatoni
Brisket Ragu, Parmigiana Reggiano, Basil 12

Mac-n-cheese
5 Deli Cheeses, Andouille Sausage, Saffron, Piquillo Peppers, Truffled Panko 9

Meatloaf,
Bourbon Mushroom Gravy, Dirty Smashed Potatoes 12

Mini Meatballs
19 ingredients, homemade tomato sauce, basil 10

Short Ribs
Soy Vermouth Braised Short Ribs, Star Anise, Potato Blue Cheese Smashed Potatoes 15

Steak
Asian Marinated Skirt, Spicy Gringo Chimichurri, Oil Poached Fingerling Potatoes 15

Fish
Crispy Skin Salmon, Wilted Bok Choy, Braised Pistachios, Soy Ginger Chicken Broth 12

Day Boat Scallops, White Bean & Sage Puree, Bean Broth 12

Chicken
Rosemary Chicken Breast, Roasted Tomato, Garlic, Broccoli Rabe, Parm, Tomato Oil 10

Feedback is always welcome. Thank you and have a great night.

Brian Dowling
Park & Sixth Comfort Food
dowling11@hotmail.com

Posted on: 2012/2/7 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
was not aware of the beers. nice. def a great beer/bite option for the hood. Will still go to Skinners for the burger, but this is the best bar sandy option by far.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/29 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
I was in the store this weekend and saw that they're going to be open later in the evenings and on Sundays. This is good news.

Also, the Two Points to Genius is a fantastic sandwich.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
the food is good - gourmet deli ...., notable, they now have a full bar with two craft/micro beers on tap along with a few tv's. nice and friendly service.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 3:33

Re: Rave reviews from Z100's Elvis Duran about Park & Sixth

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC-Listers

My apologies...I attached the link of a sound bite from last thursdays broadcast of Z100's Elvis Duran raving about my sandwiches on air. It has come to my attention that nothing happens when the link is clicked.....seems I cook better than I operate a computer. However, the sound bite can be heard on the Park & Sixth facebook page. It's actually really cool and for those of you interested please check it out.

Thanks

Brian Dowling
Owner

Posted on: 2011/9/14 23:14

Rave reviews from Z100's Elvis Duran about Park & Sixth

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
01 110908_Park6th 0:35 2

Hello all JC-Listers,

Park & Sixth recently catered lunch for Elvis Duran and the Z-Morning Zoo. Take a listen.....

Brian

Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quick delivery experience update: ordered a couple items on Sat for delivery, showed up in 15. meatloaf sandy was great, mac and cheese was good (portion is 2 or 3 times bigger than Soul Flavors), and the fries were relatively crispy, buffalo sauce on the side.

It's all timing with delivery, in this case I was either the first stop or they were not that busy so it worked out well. I also did it slightly after the lunch rush to avoid potential delays.

Anyway, continue to love this place.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Sandwich Shop by far has the best bread for a burger.

Posted on: 2011/8/3 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blockwatcher wrote:
"Buffalo Fries $3
Crispy fries, blue cheese hot sauce"

I wasn't expecting much... after all this was a delivery order, fries usually don't survive. I pretty much got soggy fries logged with hot sauce and no bleu cheese to be found. It went straight to the garbage can.

The Buffalo Fries are basically Disco Fries, but with buffalo sauce instead of gravy. The blue cheese is mixed in with the hot sauce, so that may not have been obvious if you didn't eat it.

I ordered the buffalo fries to dine in, and even fresh from the counter they're kind of a soggy mess. I can't picture any universe where they would be even remotely appetizing in a delivery order. (But that's the fault of Park & Sixth for delivering them in the first place.)

Better to get them with the buffalo sauce on the side and dip the fries yourself--even when eating there.

Posted on: 2011/8/1 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I'm not contesting your review of delivery. just pointing out that the beef is not garbage (like the parkside bistro is, confirmed by several board members) and that the plate was just fine eaten at the counter hot of the griddle.

will leave delivery review for others...

Posted on: 2011/8/1 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
successful burger deliveries:

hamilton inn
parkside bistro
white star bar
little sandwich shop

I've never had a bad burger delivered.

a burger patty being burned beyond extra well done does not happen in a wrapper from restaurant to house.

Being understaffed isn't an excuse - the feeling I got with my order is that they were staffed with people who didn't care about the final product.

Bottom line is - I had 2 bad experiences, and I'm sharing my review.

Posted on: 2011/7/31 14:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017