Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Red Bull Air Race coming to Jersey City waterfront
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/21 7:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/21 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
We were there for qualifying on Saturday. Great to have this event in Jersey City, and that was mentioned a lot. Lots of NJ police to keep everything under control. Taking the Light Rail and walking to the location was tiring but definitely better than driving in.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
It's live on FOX right now until 4.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
anyone know what he schedule is? are they racing both days?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/6/20 0:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 1:38
From Bay Street
Group:
Registered Users
These guys are nuts!

Posted on: 2010/6/19 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know what he schedule is? are they racing both days?

Posted on: 2010/6/19 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2010/6/19 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Just came from the park after watching the practice runs for over an hour....

Biked to the SE corner of the waterfront walkway where it wraps around the terminal and was with only a couple of dozen others watching the planes zoom by just about as close as you can get without being in the water!

In fact, we were just on the other side of the rail that encloses the way expensive club seating.

Totally freaking awesome (and free!).

Posted on: 2010/6/18 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
raaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!....

beeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrraaaaaawwwwww!!!!...

meeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooorrrrrrrr!!!!...

Ok. Now I'm glad the race track didn't get installed. These planes are giving me a headache!

whhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

ooooooorrrrruuuuuaaaaahhh!!!

shhh!

Posted on: 2010/6/18 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Spend a few dollars and go to see this show. The planes are tiny and they race close to the water so you need to buy a ticket if you want to see the excitement. They have been generous to the Friends of Liberty State Park and this is much better for the park than car racing so we should support them.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I hear planes, are they doing practice runs right now?

Posted on: 2010/6/18 19:31

Tickets or No Tickets...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Was just there this morning watching them practice. Amazing stuff.

I would say you will be able to watch it for free all around the park, close to the playground, on either side of blocked off sections on path along water etc. The planes fly pretty low around the cones so its not exactly an aerial show. That said, I would get as close to the path along the water as possible for best free views

Posted on: 2010/6/18 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Pilots set to take flight for the Red Bull Air Race in Jersey City
Published: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 1:30 PM Updated: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 2:12 PM
The Jersey Journal

With the Jersey City leg of the Red Bull Air Race World Championship set to take off Saturday, pilots will take to the course for the first time for test flights this afternoon.

Pilots opened their hangars at Linden Airport for a media walkthrough yesterday.

"I am really, really excited to fly here," said Arizona native Kirby Chambliss, one of two Americans competing. "As a race pilot it's always super special to fly in your own country."

The pilots flew to Liberty State Park and hovered about 500 feet above the Hudson River to calibrate their planes' equipment settings for the race.

The course is located between the Central Railroad of New Jersey Terminal at Liberty State Park and Ellis Island. The race will be held Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Chambliss and the other American pilot, Michael Goulian of Massachusetts, said staying focused during this race will be key, something that'll be difficult for them while flying near the Statue of Liberty.

"I think it's more difficult here," Chambliss said, but being 15 points out of first place with 12 points up grabs in this race with three more to go, a win is a must.

"My job is to win," Chambliss said. "I'm going to try to do that."

Posted on: 2010/6/18 2:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/18 22:09
Group:
Registered Users
A small section of the park between CRRNJ, Elllis Island and the parking lot behind the terminal is closed off to the public and is for ticket holders, staff, supplies, etc...a fraction of the park.

None of the trees are tall enough to block the view so you can still get excellent views of the air show from the hill between Freedom Way and the boardwalk as it is elevated and easy to get to via a bicycle. If you don't have a ticket and want to see the show, take advantage of it. Another decent location is the hill where the new 9/11 memorial is suppose to go (north of the CRRNJ terminal). That's where a lot of the people coming out from ferries watched the test runs this week.

Enjoy!

By the way, the park will not be closed off, just the section mentioned above.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 20:59
Easy Riders JC

Contact Info:
201-377-9771
contact@EasyRidersJC.com
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I say there is no way they can close an entire State Park to the public for this event. They may have certain restricted areas and maybe not let cars in the park. The grand stands are only taking up a tiny bit of the park by the terminal.

Below is the LSP web site... give them a call and find out if the park is closed to the public on the 19th and 20th. If the entire park is closed for the big 2 hour race on the 19th and 20th ask then how much the state of NJ is getting paid by the Red Bull New York 2010 event for promoting New York City tourism.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html

You gotta fight the power! Power to the people! Right on!

Posted on: 2010/6/17 14:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Easy Riders JC is advertising a "free view for free" for the event. Is this free view from inside the park? Does anyone know if people will be able to have access to LSP by bikes or foot this weekend? According to the map at the Red Bull Air Race website, the main roads to the park are marked as restricted for permit holders, guests, and media.

Just wondering... will appreciate any additional information in this regard.

Posted on: 2010/6/17 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Guys, I was just at the park about 430ish & there were helecopters & 3 planes flying really low.
It seems pretty cool. The stands are all put up & theres 2 huge towers & the big cones in the water already.
Suposed to be really nice out Sunday by the way!
Anyone know if this will be broadcast on TV?

Posted on: 2010/6/16 23:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They've been doing test runs most of the week including today which I got to enjoy (we have a location right next to the CRRNJ Terminal). It's crazy seeing planes performing these manoeuvres and having NYC as the background makes it very memorable. According to the park people, they are expecting 40-50,000 spectators over the weekend. Strongly recommend checking the test runs in the mid-afternoon.

Don't have a ticket or don't want to deal with the traffic nightmare or public transport? Grab a bike from our Hamilton Park pick-up location and we'll show you where to get a great view for free. It's a short 10 minute ride to Liberty State Park.

Easy Riders JC
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Posted on: 2010/6/16 20:22
Easy Riders JC

Contact Info:
201-377-9771
contact@EasyRidersJC.com
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
LoKo....

I found the below link on the www.nj.com site. Don?t know if it was posted already. Has everything you need to know about the event.

Course diagram, where planes take off from, best places to view it. (funny they say you can?t view it from the NYC side because the planes are too small) Tickets, Tickets, $$$$

It also says Thursday and Friday for practice. Check out the FAA web site.

Will the event affect travel?

There are no planned road closures during the event, but cars and buses will be prohibited from entering the event area.

The race is working with the Federal Aviation Administration and air traffic restrictions will be in place the week of the race. Pilots will have practice time on the course Thursday and Friday before the race. There will be a temporary flight restriction around the course during the practices and race weekend. The FAA will send post notices on its website.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... to_jersey_city_red_b.html

from reading some of the recent posts I guess practice is also today.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, I can hear it in Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Paulus Hook and work from home. I have not walked down to the waterfront today but for the last 15 mins. I have heard lots of zoooooming type sounds coming from the skies.
I'll go check it out. Have to make plans so I am out of town when this goes down. Sounds as annoying as the world cup soccer games!

Posted on: 2010/6/16 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Still didnt answer my question as to when the practice will be. I heard on the radio it would be today but dont see any info on the web about it.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
There is a sweet picture in today?s print JJ of the grand stand and air control tower that was erected in LSP. I am just walking down to LSP and watching for free they can not close a state park for this bull. (pun intended )

2 cruise companies wooing Red Bull Air Race spectators with promises of top-deck views from Hudson River off Jersey City

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

NY Waterway Cruises is advertising the best seat in the house - or on a boat - for this weekend's Red Bull Air Race at Liberty State Park in Jersey City.

Rocks Off, a New York-based concert cruise company, is also boasting race views from the Hudson.

While neither cruise line is sanctioned by the Red Bull Air Race - who argues the best views of the race are from Liberty State Park - the U.S. Coast Guard has set up viewing locations for the spectator vessels this weekend.

Fifteen pilots will take to the skies, racing one-by-one through an obstacle course floating on the Hudson River Saturday. The 10 fastest will automatically advance to Sunday's final and the other five will compete for two wild card spots.

The overall winner Sunday earns points toward the 2010 championship title.

NY Waterway Tours issued a press release last week boasting the "best seats in the house" for this weekend's air race. They're offering rooftop seating with food and beverage service for $75 for a one-day pass or $125 for both days.

Rocks Off cruises is advertising advance tickets for cruises either day for $20 each, with prices that cost "less money than what you'd pay to be a spectator on land."

Like NY Waterway, they'll have an open roof deck, plus a DJ.

The official air race tickets are also seeing competition on land.

NYC-JC, a company that provides luxury, furnished apartments for rent as an alternative to hotels, is offering views from Jersey City's high-rise apartment buildings.

The Red Bull Air Race, which is taking place on the Hudson River between the historic rail terminal at Liberty State Park and Ellis Island, still has plenty of its own tickets up for grabs.

There are 35,000 tickets available for both days, including general admission standing room tickets for $30 on Saturday and $40 on Sunday or $55 for both days, and grandstand seating for $50 Saturday, $75 Sunday or $95 for both days.

There are about 7,000 two-day general admission tickets and about 750 two-day grandstand tickets still available for purchase at www.redbullairrace.com.

Red Bull Air Race officials note that there will be no radio broadcasts for spectators on boats outside the Liberty State Park viewing area to hear what's going on.

MELISSA HAYES

From www.nj.com

Buy the jersey Journal (you hipsters can surely part with the coin)

Posted on: 2010/6/16 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to the Coast Guard yesterday. It seems that boats over 65 feet in length will be able to hang out just northeast of Ellis Island. Boats under 65 feet in length will be between Ellis Island and Liberty Island.

There will be no anchoring...you must maintain position.

Any JClisters going to be out there? I'll be in the under '65 feet zone.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
LoKo498 wrote: Are they having practice runs today, does anyone know?
Also can it be seen from LSP?

It is not in NYC it is in good old Jersey City LSP!!!!

WELCOME TO THE RED BULL AIR RACE NEW YORK ? JUNE 19-20

The fifth leg of the 2010 World Championship tour will take place for the first time in New York over the Hudson River at Liberty State Park in Jersey City. Two years in development, the Red Bull Air Race New York will be a highlight race in 2010, and will bring eye-level racing action seen across the globe to one of the world?s finest cities.

In close cooperation with host city partners NYC & Company (www.nycgo.com), Jersey City, NJ (www.destinationjerseycity.com) and Liberty State Park (www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/liberty.html), the Manhattan skyline and brilliant Liberty State Park landmarks will serve as remarkable backdrops for 300 million TV viewers in 87 countries worldwide.

More information about the US TV broadcast will be available in coming weeks.

Posted on: 2010/6/16 14:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hello neighbors,

I would love to watch this from the water. I am an avid Hudson River kayaker, but I don't think a kayak is a good way to watch this. I'd be constantly paddling, and may have to move a good distance depending on visibility.

I can't rent a motorboat since I don't have a NY or NJ permit. Does anybody with a permit want to split a boat rental with me for the day? Or let me and my girlfriend share your own boat for the day? We will compensate with cold beverages, good food, and good cheer.

MikeZ

Posted on: 2010/6/16 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
The Annual Red Bull Air Race kicked off a nine city tour in Abu Dhabi last month which will land in New York City on June 19 & 20. The international competition takes the most talented pilots in the world through a series of daring race courses in the sky. The fifteen planes reach speeds of 230 mph while flying only 10 to 20 feet above water.

In addition to Abu Dhabi, the race has already visited Pirth, Rio de Janeiro, and Windsor, Ontario. And, after their next race in New York City, the competition moves onto EuroSpeedway Lausitz, Budapest and the final stop, Portugal.

Even though the New York City race isn't the last, most of the pilots consider it the most important since it is the first time the Red Bull Air Race will take place in the city. If you don't want to miss this historic race, you can purchase tickets for the general admission area in Liberty State Park, Jersey City, New Jersey (where the race will be held) for $45 or reserved grandstand tickets for $85.

If money is no object, they are also offering three exclusive package deals, including entrance into the Race Club for $390, private viewing areas in the Race Club for groups of fifty or more for $735 and entry into the High Flyer's VIP Lounge $1,250. All tickets can be purchased at RedBullAirRace.com.

Posted on: 2010/6/11 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like they're setting up the seating for this as of tonight. I suspect you'll get a decent show from other spots the the waterfront, even Bowling Green. Probably just won't have the adrenaline factor of something flying 200 feet above your head.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 1:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Interested in seeing the Red Bull Race in Liberty State Park but do not want to deal with public transport or with the traffic/parking chaos?

Rent a bike from Easy Riders JC Bicycle Rentals & Tours to easily get to and around the park. Our Hamilton Park pick-up location (free street parking on weekends) is easily accessible from Jersey Avenue which goes directly into LSP (about 10 minute ride).

All rentals come with bike, helmet, lock, map, frequent-biker and local discount cards.

Advance reservations for the weekend of the 19th & 20th are strongly recommended if interested.

Posted on: 2010/6/8 16:28
Easy Riders JC

Contact Info:
201-377-9771
contact@EasyRidersJC.com
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59