Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Property Taxes will increase as Jersey City introduces $507 Million budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
thanks, but is there anyway to do this on your own? city paperwork to fill out? don't want to pay a lawyer, b/c i'll end up probably being flat if i the appeal goes thru....

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ErinMaiden wrote:
does anyone have the channels to go thru for an appeal? i got a notice in the mail but wasn't sure if that was an advertisement as it was for a specific individual that would help w/ an appeal. Our taxes are based on 2005 assesment.

Probably an ad for a lawyer to do a search for a triple comparison to your place for an proper appeal.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone have the channels to go thru for an appeal? i got a notice in the mail but wasn't sure if that was an advertisement as it was for a specific individual that would help w/ an appeal. Our taxes are based on 2005 assesment.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

henry2 wrote:
Well according to this new tax bill i jut got i now will owe approx. $6100 for a 500 sq ft condo in downtown i bought 2 years ago!!
(mind you I am a regular working person and this was not a 500k condo on the waterfront but one i scrounged to come up w/ the down payment)
Now i am unemployed and can't sell nor afford to stay.
THIS CITY GOVT IS OUT OF CONTROL--
THE SHIT IS HITTING THE FAN AND HEALY IS TRYING TO COVER IS BUTT WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO RAT HIM OUT.

WHEN DOES THE PROTEST ACTUALLY START AND WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP THIS?

I knew this would happen when the newcomers started spending a gazillion dollars for little cubby holes, even with their abated tax rates. What is your condo assesed at, and what did you pay in taxes last year for 2009 ? I see condos your size costing any where from $2500 to $6000 in property taxes, and thats anywhere in Jersey City. I guess it all depends on what the property houses, eg: garage, seperate laundry and storage rooms, converted building or a new building. And number of units. The old converted brownstones around the Hamilton Park are around a $3k a year tax rate.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Come to City Hall Chambers Wednesday. The Council Meeting starts at 6PM. If you want to speak at the council meeting, call the City Clerk's office at (201) 547-5150 before Wednesday.

Quote:

henry2 wrote:
Well according to this new tax bill i jut got i now will owe approx. $6100 for a 500 sq ft condo in downtown i bought 2 years ago!!
(mind you I am a regular working person and this was not a 500k condo on the waterfront but one i scrounged to come up w/ the down payment)
THE SHIT IS HITTING THE FAN AND HEALY IS TRYING TO COVER IS BUTT WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO RAT HIM OUT.

Posted on: 2010/1/25 16:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/18 14:02
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/25 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I think showing up to the council meeting (and speaking) is the best way to go. There is no guarantee anyone will listen if you protest. The weather could be bad and then very few people show up (forecast right now for Wednesday is low 30s and windy.) It's dark at 5:30, so it's harder to get noticed. Many people aren't home from work by 5:30, but can make it to the council meeting by 6:30.

A couple dozen people (the more the better!) speaking to the council at the meeting will have far more impact than 50 people outside in the dark.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 23:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maya2007 wrote:
I Will Be there next Wednesday to protest higher taxes. Before the elections taxes didn?t go up. After the election taxes want up 11.5%. I can?t stand current council. Few should be already in prison for corruption but they serve. Anyway I am planning to design, print and distribute flayers this weekend notifying JC resident about this protest. I have two questions first can I say in the flayer that this is protest since I don?t have a permit to protest. Second can reference http://jclist.com to send resident for more info.
Frustrated Resident
Dan

Tell them to show up at the City Council meeting to voice their concern and show support.

No permit is needed for that.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will be there as well. Let's hope for a big turnout.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I will be there to protest and I just sent a mass email to everyone in my condo.

Does anyone remember back on election day when we all got a letter from Healy stating that taxes were staying put and that he was committed to keeping them there. HA

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/30 23:48
Group:
Registered Users
I Will Be there next Wednesday to protest higher taxes. Before the elections taxes didn?t go up. After the election taxes want up 11.5%. I can?t stand current council. Few should be already in prison for corruption but they serve. Anyway I am planning to design, print and distribute flayers this weekend notifying JC resident about this protest. I have two questions first can I say in the flayer that this is protest since I don?t have a permit to protest. Second can reference http://jclist.com to send resident for more info.
Frustrated Resident
Dan

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Regarding the 07302 post...: does anyone know if there a cap rate in New Jersey law defining maximum allowed assessment of a rental property based on rental income ?

This is an opportunity for re-assessment based on net income.

Give me an idea of what the apartment's theoretical EBITDA is (not including capital expenses. Just rent minus maintenance), and I will reply with a quickie calculation of what your taxes should be if you demand a reassessment for the Tax Assessor.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Regarding the 07302 post...: does anyone know if there a cap rate in New Jersey law defining maximum allowed assessment of a rental property based on rental income ?
as far as i know there is a hardship exception in the rules, but that hardship exception is really an exception due to hardship ... and not a back door ... if you have such concerns, please turn to an attorney ... they should provide you a better and more complete answer than the malcontents of these forums ....

Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/23 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just checked my property tax increase online and I am incensed. I am going to the protest, I know someone else who is going as well. I will appeal also, my taxes are based on 2006 values... Sakatah, I PM you if you can. Maybe see you next week...

Posted on: 2010/1/23 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Can't make it there for a pre 6pm protest but will be there in spirit and more importantly will make my disgust known by filing a tax appeal. Encourage all to at minimum try to find out if you are likely to benefit from an appeal.

Anyone with property assessed after 2004 (maybe even earlier) should be especially motivated. Recently converted condos (within the past 5-6 years) would more than likely benefit.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 17:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/23 19:40
Group:
Registered Users
The protest on Wednesday is a great idea. Hopefully the mayor and his "team" will realize people are watching, and not happy with his out-of-touch and unresponsive city government. Anyone tried to write the mayor (without a check in hand) and gotten a response?

See you outside city hall.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
from yesterday's jersey journal

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... y_must_cut_just_as_w.html

Hudson County News, Letters to the Editor ?
Letter: City must cut, just as we do
By The Jersey Journal
January 22, 2010, 12:01AM

The City Council approves Jersey City municipal budgets and any tax increases.

I was very dismayed, angered and frustrated to read that Mayor Healy and Jersey City's council are considering raising property taxes twice during the same fiscal year. It is very disturbing and frustrating to watch the apparent ease with which our elected officials increase our property tax levels. It is insulting to the hardworking Jersey City residents, many who will have to make significant sacrifices to be able to live in this beautiful city. The electorate trusted and elected you after their careful deliberation. But it seems that you vote for tax increases with ease, without any deliberation, and without any effort push a heavier financial burden to already suffering Jersey City residents.

Currently, our nation is in a deep recession, an economic calamity comparable to the Great Depression. In New Jersey, nearly 10 percent are unemployed. In Hudson County, the numbers are similar. Ten percent of your residents do not have jobs, yet this city's elected leaders cannot seem to take this into consideration when creating a budget. Raising taxes will make their daily struggle even more difficult.

My family is very lucky in that both my husband and I have been able to keep our jobs during the recession. But we have not seen any pay raises, bonuses, or other increases in our income. Moreover, we own a multifamily rental building. Last year, we were forced to reduce our rents to keep it occupied, we also have had tenants facing severe economic hardship. As a result of these factors, our income has decreased in real terms; expenses beyond our control have increased, unfortunately.

Last year, we have had a significant 11.25 percent property tax increase, which amounts to more than $2,500 a year of additional expenses. This year, our water/sewage rates increased by 25 percent, which will increase our expenses approximately another $300-400 this year -- we even work with our tenants on water conservation. Learning that you are considering another substantial tax increase, which for us will be more than $1,600 a year, is very difficult to hear. Compared to one year ago, these increased taxes have cut into our daily living expenses by more than $4,500. As a result of these increases, we had to dramatically decrease our contribution to our child's college fund, our retirement accounts, and any improvements we would like to make to maintain our building, our tenants, and improve our city.

We are lucky enough to be able to make these cuts without cutting necessities. But what about those who are unemployed? Who live on fixed income? Who support families and friends? Who have lost their footing during this period of extreme economic hardship? What about their children? What about my friends, who own their homes but have been laid off for more than a year? One of our unemployed friends has started their own business, but remains chronically underemployed. This newest tax increase will mean that they have to decide: paying for health care insurance or taxes or eliminate some other critical item in their lives.

If property taxes increase, real estate values will decline as a result. As the monthly expenses increase substantially as a result of these series of unprecedented tax increases, residents will have less money available to pay for their homes and many will have to resort to selling. This will further depress the already reduced real estate values in our city, particularly in those areas that are already marginalized.

Has the City Council considered what effect this almost 25 percent tax increase will have on real estate values? Has the city considered how potential investors, who are not benefiting from PILOTs and other tax advantaged agreements, would consider investing in the city?

It is exceptionally painful to see that the city does not explore alternatives to raising taxes that -- I believe -- are not on the table at the current time. Furloughs are all nice and good, but what about real cost reductions by eliminating departments, programs, expenses, investments, etc. Your electorate is forced to make hard choices every day. Why hasn't the city, its leadership, and elected officials considered reducing the budget of every department by 4 percent, 5 percent, 10 percent or even 25 percent?
Look across the river, look across the country, and look into the kitchens of your voters. They all had to cut their expenses radically. In New York City, in the state of Pennsylvania, and in numerous other cities, counties, state governments had to face politically demanding and fiscally hard decisions about their budgets. Many were able to avoid shifting increasing economic hardship to their residents -- who ultimately vote for them and entrust them with the charge of leading the city.

But no where on that list is Jersey City. Why?

What is even more insulting is that the budget for the current year hasn't technically been passed. I would like to see the city run that way and still be in business. That would be good politics.

The broad dissatisfaction with this city's government should alarm you. You need to act soon to address the frustration of your electorate. I urge you to look long and hard at the city's budget. Take out the red pencil as my unemployed friends and countless others were forced to, and find areas to cut before you raise your taxes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
for the sake of full disclosure, the above link and the letter were also posted by me to a different thread dealing with the righteous outrage of the electorate caused by a group of semi-corrupt but completely incompetent group of "people."

Posted on: 2010/1/23 16:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/31 0:26
Group:
Registered Users
We need to be at the meeting, in the CC Chamber.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rally_to_protest_jer.html
Quote:
City Hall rally to protest Jersey City budget set for Wednesday
By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 22, 2010, 6:00AM

A Jersey City resident is leading a grassroots effort to protest the recently introduced city budget.

In a rush to receive $14 million in state aid before Jon S. Corzine left the governor's office, the City Council introduced a $492 million budget that if left unchanged could hike taxes for the owner of a home assessed at $100,000 by as much as $800.

City officials have said they intend to make cuts to lessen the expected tax hike.

Esther Winter, a city resident since 1987, said she normally reads the news, not makes it. But when she read about the proposed budget, she was angry and decided to do something.

She posted a thread on www.JCList.com and now has other city residents riled up and ready to protest at Wednesday's City Council meeting.

"I really have a feeling that things are just ripe right now," she said. "People have really had it and people start to find out that property taxes are going up again."

Winter said crime remains a problem, the schools are failing to meet state standards and services are being cut, all while taxes are increasing, including an 11 percent hike last year.

"It's enough," she said. "I have yet to see the City Council do what many people have had to go through now, which is take a reduction in salary. A lot of people have taken a reduction in salary to save their jobs."

City workers have taken a hit. They have been forced to take 12 furlough days, including today, without pay over a six-month period to help reduce the budget.

The rally is planned for outside City Hall, 280 Grove St., before the 6 p.m. meeting.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I have been attending budget hearings since the 1980's. Sometimes I am the only member of the public to speak. You must attend and you must ask questions. It is more than mismanagement it is games the state allows the municipalities to play. The state has allow Jersey City to bond above its cap under the Schundler administration. If the state said no, then those debts would not be haunting us today. Also, let's look at the Board of Ed. When he state took over, the new person Scambio brought new job titles that didn't exist under local control. The budget increased. Now the state is leaving and expects local tax dollars to pick up more of the tab. But the state created a bloated budget.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 2:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/4 19:11
Group:
Registered Users
Ask for a tax appeal. Most of your houses were assessed when the property values were still high. I know many people who have had their taxes reduced in the past year. You can do it yourself or use an atty. Most attys don't charged unless they are successful.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Why don't we stick to the real problem at hand: the city is horribly mismanaged, there is little accountability for the people in charge and the level of spending is unsustainable. Kicking the can down the road has worked for many years, but it seems now that we may be nearing the end of the road. We need solutions. Fighting over the nomenclature of our respective quarterly remittances is counterproductive and detracts from the search for solutions.

I'm done debating the "abatement" issue. I use quotation marks because they aren't abatements at all. The word "abatement" implies payments have ceased. I can assure you they have not. People in my building (myself included) pay what is called a PILOT, which stands for PAYMENT in lieu of taxes. My PILOT is well in excess of $20,000 per year. Yes, I'm capped at that rate for many years to come - wanna trade? Feel free to PM me, if so.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
It seems like abatements are not needed anymore on the waterfront. But then i wonder why there are A LOT of huge open plots and parking lots on the waterfront that have not been developed. They would all be built up, right?

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
mine was about 500 as well. and i've increased about the same rate. yet i know for damn sure my property value has gone down. of course this is just an estimate until they get their sh*t together and finally pass a damn budget where i'm sure we'll just get screwed again, while the luxury condos will continue to enjoy their 20 years of abatements.

i don't mind paying taxes and i understand things go up, but i will not sit by and watch people live here, use all the same services as us, and NOT have to chip in.

and for you politicians who say the abatements are necessary to bring growth to the waterfront, this isn't 1998 for crying out loud, its PRIME real estate. Perhaps its time to get another soundbite b/c that one has run its course

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:45

Re: Just got my ESTIMATED 1st Qtr Tax bill from Jersey City... What was your increase?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
People do not like me to state the obvious. Your taxes increased because Jersey City give out abatements. The waterfront is not paying any board of ed taxes and those school taxes increased over $20 million during the last several years and abatements are not ratables, they are contracts so the county do not include them as ratables when the county strikes the budget. Over $2 billion of abated properties are excluded from the tax roll.

Maybe it is not completely black and white as PILOTS pay money to the city, yes it is not earmarked for the schools tho... Some people with PILOTS are paying more than they would if their properties were valued correctly today.

Also if you consider properties like the Beacon there was zero $$$ contribution to the city as it was abandoned for a long time. Now that it is being developed there is a significant amount of money coming to the city (I think well over $1M from just the first 2 buildings) in the form of PILOT payments, before there was no $$ there. I can only think of one other person i know who lived in JC before the Beacon, so it may really represent a new population that is contributing to JC but that is hard to really sort out.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
I got an almost $500 increase for 1st Q.

My yearly was just over 8K when Healy took office.

Current yearly is just over $13K.

Add in private HS at $8K/year and I'm shelling out almost 21K a year for the privilege of living in this hellhole of a city.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
just got 1st qtr bill, i had to go out front and make sure i didn't magically transport to maplewood where i can understand paying this much for a quarter. enough is enough, the amount we pay, if i had a kid in highschool i would be afraid to send him to the public school. things need to change jersey city b/c this is absurd.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 22:33

Re: Just got my ESTIMATED 1st Qtr Tax bill from Jersey City... What was your increase?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you, Yvonne. Healy lied when he campaigned on ending abatements. I wonder if abatements have been tested with the Courts!

It's a shame that there's no real choice with JC politicans. It seems the Republicans will tell you point blank that they work for the developers, while the Democrats try to keep it on the down lo.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
People do not like me to state the obvious. Your taxes increased because Jersey City give out abatements. The waterfront is not paying any board of ed taxes and those school taxes increased over $20 million during the last several years and abatements are not ratables, they are contracts so the county do not include them as ratables when the county strikes the budget. Over $2 billion of abated properties are excluded from the tax roll.

Posted on: 2010/1/22 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I was just looking at my taxes - up like 40% over the past 5 years....well ahead of inflation. as i've said so many times, i don't mind paying higher taxes, but the city should be doing a lot more to restrict costs

Posted on: 2010/1/22 19:55

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017