Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: My coffee maker broke!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Sam A.M., the new coffee/brunch/lunch place on Morris (between Warren and Washington) will be serving Stumptown as well!

I don't think they're actually open yet (sam-am.com) but tomorrow between 10 a.m. and noon they'll be giving out free Stumptown coffee. Whoopie!!

Posted on: 2013/8/17 2:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
I dont know much about different coffee makers but I sure do LOVE my coffee. I have a regular drip coffee make. When its done brewing, I pour the brewed pot back into the filter to run the coffee thru the grinds a 2nd time. Regular Folgers coffee. Amazing!

Posted on: 2013/8/10 17:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't, but I have heard great things about it on coffee blogs. That is the one newfangled coffee toy I haven't gotten my hands on yet. Money is tight, but when I am flush again, it will be a purchase.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Mine broke too. I have been playing around with various methods and I feel like my French Press is as good as it gets.

Have you tried the Aeropress? You can't close the book until you do! If nothing else, it's awesome for travel, a microwave or immersion heater is all you need.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

My Favorite, the Bialetti Moka Express:

Posted on: 2013/8/10 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Mine broke too. I have been playing around with various methods and I feel like my French Press is as good as it gets.

Have you tried the Aeropress? You can't close the book until you do! If nothing else, it's awesome for travel, a microwave or immersion heater is all you need.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 2:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Mine broke too. I have been playing around with various methods and I feel like my French Press is as good as it gets. I also have a Chemex that I use with a Kone filter and it makes a larger pot of equally good coffee. I feel personally that the pourover method extracts the most flavor from the beans and gives the most nuanced cup of coffee. I have had $1000 Jura machines and cheap Mr Coffees and I think they are all a waste. With a press, you can control everything about your coffee. It barely takes any time--someone said it takes too long, but it takes just as much time as waiting for a pot of coffee to brew. If you pour yourself a cup before waiting for the rest of the pot to fill, you are destroying the rest of the pot, as most of the flavor is in the first eight ounces or so of coffee.

The only other method I have really admired for making coffee that is uniformly excellent and consistent is the Bodum vacuum coffee maker. I have this identical one at my country house and I just love it. The coffee isn't quite as full bodied as the french press, but it comes out hot and delicious and full of flavor. http://www.oncoffeemakers.com/i-dont- ... -a-drip-coffee-maker.html

Posted on: 2013/8/10 2:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/3 20:43
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I still stand by my Nespresso D290 for espresso and my trust Toddy for cold press. I'm happy to give up any number of things in order to fit the Toddy in my small kitchen. And thankfully I don't work too far from an Oren's.

I'm currently in Ireland for a few weeks, dying for actually coffee. I could make a coffee table book full of the photos of what constitutes a latte or iced coffee here. All include whipped cream. The latter includes a blender.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Link to some serious coffee geeking, be sure to read the comments.

http://boingboing.net/2013/07/20/cheap-easy-no-mess-cold-brew.html

Posted on: 2013/7/22 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mr_hamster wrote:
Actually in this weather, I make a pot of black tea and drink it for hours.

My mode too. Over ice with a squeeze of lemon or lime. I used to be a Ti Quan Ying junkie, but it got so damn hard to find it loose after International Market closed. Ten Ren Tea Shop is too pricey for me.

On the grinding front, I was getting fed up with the inconsistent grind from a cheap cup grinder, and scored a Krups burr grinder from Costco for $30. Not much bigger than the other, but much more consistent, with a dial to grind how many cups you want. I confess my usual beans are Starbucks French Roast. When I used to visit the UWS frequently I favored the beans from Fairway.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 22:03

French Press and Porto Rico-My coffee maker broke!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I use a french press and grind my beans that i typically buy from Porto Rico. They stock literally any kind of bean and roast you can imagine, and the prices are really quite low--ranging from $8/lb on up. Its on Bleecker and 6th Ave, a short walk from 9th St PATH.

I admit some friends dont like the strength of the french press, or the fine grounds left in the cup, so another low technology alternative is the filter cone and plastic holder on top of the subject coffee mug.

Either way all you need is the ability to boil water and grind beans, though you can have your beans ground there as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 21:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/12 2:30
Group:
Registered Users
I only make coffee at home on the weekends. Actually in this weather, I make a pot of black tea and drink it for hours. But when it was cooler, I start off weekend mornings with a delicious cappucino. It just takes time, maybe 10-15 mins total, and the taste is better/as good as ordering a cappucino or latte from a fancy shop. I use a 3-cup aluminium moka pot that I got for $7 from Pearl River Mart in soho, but it only makes enough for one person. But you can get bigger moka pots. Put in cold filtered water, put on stove in medium heat, pay attention because you want to take it off as soon as all the coffee is in the top compartment, if it boils some more up there it will taste burnt. Then I put that aside for the short while it takes to heat up a milk in a small pot on the same burner, since its still hot. The milk will even be frothy if you keep at that heat but take it away immediately so it doesn't go brown or taste too cooked. It took some time to get to the perfect understanding of my moka pot, burner and pot for milk, so .. I'd expect if I bought another one I'd again have to experiment to make good coffee :) I used to heat the milk on another burner at the same time as the coffee.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
The good electric drip maker is a Technivorm Moccamaster (probably a KBT-741).

The espresso grinder is a Mazzer Mini; But the fancy new addition to the household is the magical automatic weighing grinder, the Baratza Vario-W.

Peets beans shipped every other week.

Filtered water.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 20:14

Re: Home Coffee Brewing Methods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
I use a Mr. Coffee drip coffee machine with Dunkin Donut grounds. No sugar, bit of milk. I'm not a complicated man.

+1.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I make my coffee in an old fashion percolator ever morning. I grind the beans as well.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/texsport ... pq=perculator&FORM=CMSMEE

Unfiltered coffee reduces "good" cholesterol, if you believe the scientific consensus. People with high cholesterol may want to avoid french press method, percolators, etc. Search for "unfiltered coffee cholesterol" Example...

link

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.millscentral.com/pyrex_5.jpg
Try using an all glass Pyrex coffee pot as the one shown in the above link. The glass inserts make the difference. Years ago when company came over the house for cake and coffee this is how coffee was brewed and served. Plus the tap water was from a Jersey City based reservoir when they did not treat it.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:53
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
If you want great tasting coffee don't use JC tap water there's too much chlorine which affects the taste of your coffee. Use bottled water which has no chlorine.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
KISS -- Keep it simple, stupid.

Bialetti with whole beans from Porto Rico Imports on Bleeker St.

Can't help but laugh at those who spend $50 - $300 for a coffee maker. Single serve pods, packets, blah blah ... coffee has been brewed for centuries without electricity.

Aeropress - $23.45 for the whole kit & kaboodle, including filters. No electricity needed. Just a little ab power.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
KISS -- Keep it simple, stupid.

Bialetti with whole beans from Porto Rico Imports on Bleeker St.

Can't help but laugh at those who spend $50 - $300 for a coffee maker. Single serve pods, packets, blah blah ... coffee has been brewed for centuries without electricity.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 10:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I am also a big Chemex fan. I wrote my thoughts on that other thread (one of the many derailed threads now littering JCList!) and may repost those here.

With regards to the Chemex carafe, definitely buy the Chemex white filters, not the brown ones! To get a great, almost perfect, cup, refer to the Intelligentsia video guide. There are certain things you should (run water through the filter BEFORE adding the coffee, add a little bit of water and let it settle before adding ALL of the water, etc.)

When in a hurry, I use a Nespresso machine (CitiZ model) and it really delivers a GREAT result.

I know the video...I want one of those kettles, but got a nice Le Creusset one for my wedding a few years ago, so no pressing need for a new kettle anytime soon.

Per the video, I do rinse the filter and "bloom" the grounds, but haven't really systematically evaluated whether it makes a difference or not. BTW, I don't weigh the beans or measure the amount of water/temp, I just eyeball it, which works fine for me. Fundamentally, I think the pour-over method with good beans, good filter and right water temp is where it's at. The exact amounts really serve as suggestions IMHO.

I will look into Nespresso, as you have me intrigued.

Cheers,

Andy

Posted on: 2013/7/19 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
I make my coffee in an old fashion percolator ever morning. I grind the beans as well.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/texsport ... pq=perculator&FORM=CMSMEE

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

HPYC wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Well if you want to be the most complicated man in the world -- then you can get one of these gizmos -- cleaning alone could take hours.

Resized Image

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Northwest- ... unce-Coffee/dp/B004EBUZ1A

Sweet! Wait, isn't that what the Baldwin Sisters from the Waltons used to make "the recipe?"

Now THERE'S an ambition of mine! A friend was starting a micro-distillery and turned me on to all the home-hooch sites out there. Someday, DIY brandy, maybe in my retirement....

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I am also a big Chemex fan. I wrote my thoughts on that other thread (one of the many derailed threads now littering JCList!) and may repost those here.

With regards to the Chemex carafe, definitely buy the Chemex white filters, not the brown ones! To get a great, almost perfect, cup, refer to the Intelligentsia video guide. There are certain things you should (run water through the filter BEFORE adding the coffee, add a little bit of water and let it settle before adding ALL of the water, etc.)

When in a hurry, I use a Nespresso machine (CitiZ model) and it really delivers a GREAT result.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Well if you want to be the most complicated man in the world -- then you can get one of these gizmos -- cleaning alone could take hours.

Resized Image

Sweet! Wait, isn't that what the Baldwin Sisters from the Waltons used to make "the recipe?"

Posted on: 2013/7/17 17:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
I have a chemex carafe these days, which I rather enjoy. I buy decent beans and grind right before brewing, use the chemex filters (they're thicker paper) and make sure the water temp isn't too high.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

Posted on: 2013/7/17 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
I never could make a decent cup of coffee, til a friend gave me the cuisinart grinder/drip combo. fresh-ground beans for the win.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on the Aeropress and the "inverted" method of using it.

Throw a few ice cubes in the glass before you press the coffee out and you get great iced coffee. Nice on a hot day like today.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
I use a Mr. Coffee drip coffee machine with Dunkin Donut grounds. No sugar, bit of milk. I'm not a complicated man.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/17 15:15

Home Coffee Brewing Methods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Post your favorite and explain why you like it.

Personally, I have a minor coffee device fetish and I've tried a number of different mechanisms, from nonna's little espresso pot to the Kuerig, etc.

Right now my personal favorite is the Aeropress, mentioned by Brewster in another thread (Thanks Brewster).

The Aeropress makes an awesome cup (one at a time), in strengths from dishwater up to almost espresso - it's up to the user. If you try it, you have to learn the "upside down method." It makes a cup with zero grounds in it and no bitterness. If you do it right, you will get a nice coffee-oil sheen on top.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 14:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017