Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Folding bicycles on PATH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/2 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I take the train with someone who has a fold up bike almost everyday. It is rude. The train is packed and it takes up entirely too much room. during rush hour just don't bring your bike on the train.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not sure how I came to believe that folded bikes were allowed on PATH trains, while standard bikes were not. Either way, I have commuted at peak rush hour where I found the folks in the last train car to be okay with it - even when we were totally squished in together. I have a bike bag but have never felt the need to use it. Love the previous poster's idea of using an IKEA bag. Cops have never uttered a peep to me regarding the bike, so wishing you the same luck.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
bicycle

?noun
a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, usually propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddlelike seat.

A folded bicycle does not have wheels in tandem. It does not have handlebars for steering. It does not have any seat. A folded bicycle is not a bicycle.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 15:12

Re: PATH riding question - Folding Bikes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
My bike path map says they're allowed, but they need to be folded during peak periods. I'd hate trying to cram into a rush hour PATH car with mine, though, and it's a teeny tiny 16" wheel model.

The ferry permits them at all times, and if they're folded up you don't have to pay the extra buck to bring them.

Bonus thing I just learned: those big blue IKEA bags apparently make a great and very, very cheap alternative to the custom bags for folding bikes.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 14:58

Re: PATH riding question - Folding Bikes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
The question is too advanced to have a definitive answer. The port authority does not even publish their bike regulations on their site last I checked. In a case of folded, I think its up to officer discretion (of course assuming you would be checked). But the bike laws are really intended for unfolded bikes (which can take up space for up to 3 people). A folded bike (especially in a bag) is just an item.

Posted on: 2010/7/1 4:15

PATH riding question - Folding Bikes

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/28 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Apologies in advance if this posts twice(ish) but my first try seems to have fallen into the bit bucket.

I have sought the answer to this on the official PATH site, and not found anything definitive or even generally illustrative.

I know that there are pretty restrictive rules on taking bikes on the PATH trains, particularly with regards to being outright forbidden during peak hours. While I have frequently enough seen this restriction ignored, I have also seen PA cops turn back people with bikes during the peak hours. In any case, I have no desire to try to test enforcement or see if I can get away with it or whatever.

What I am wondering is whether it is allowable to carry a folding bike (folded and bagged) on the PATH during peak hours. I have certainly seen people doing exactly this: folding and bagging their bike and then going through the turnstiles, on a platform populated by PA cops. Rather than make assumptions however, I would like to see if anyone knows of something a bit definitive in terms of this allowability before trusting to the judgement and goodwill of any given PA cop.

As mentioned, I looked on the PATH website, and the issue wasn't really addressed. I plan to get a folding bike in any case,largely due to space issues where I am living, but I would rather not press my luck on the PATH without some kind of heads up.

diogenesNY

Posted on: 2010/7/1 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting the official rules bodhipooh. My comments are directly at the rules not you personally...

The Path is unfortunately not very bike friendly.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Do not take bicycles on escalators. Bicyclists must use elevators or stairs.

If the PATH had built elevators at all stations I wouldn't use the escalator. But try lugging a heavy bicycle up the Pavonia stairs or the Grove Street stairs. Then you'll see why some people like myself use the escalator.

Quote:

No more than two bicycles are permitted on a PATH car.

Good luck on that on 5-borough bike tour day; it is impossible not to have more than 2 bicycles per car.

Quote:

Hold the bicycle while on trains and do not block aisles or doors.

Also an impossible rule... Wherever you a move a bicycle to you will be blocking either a door or aisle, think about it for a minute.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 14:19
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an email I received a while ago regarding this issue:
There was a follow up email clarifying that a folding bike is permissible at all times except on the first and second cars of the train.

April 25, 2006

Ms. xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Ms. xxxxx:

I am very sorry that you encountered this difficulty in boarding PATH last evening. I have spoken with the supervisor of the conductors and he has asked if you can help us with a descripton of the conductor. If you see the conductor again, you can ask him for his badge number; a staff person is required to provide it.

I have also checked and the supervisor has told me that a folded bike is permissable to bring on PATH.

Thank you for telling us of this difficulty.

Sincerely,

Joann Breslin
PATH Customer Service Unit

Posted on: 2009/12/18 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Heights said...
Quote:

Just don't go into the first or second car that is where the engineer & conductor do business.

Why NOT!? I have heard this before from some conductors and it is simply incorrect. Why is it that the PATH conductors don't know their own rules?? Another favorite of mine is the conductor who has now told me twice that bicycles are not allowed until 7 PM.

Here are the bicycle rules, as posted in the PATH website:

Bicycles on PATH
Bicycles are not allowed on PATH weekdays between 6:30 am and 9:30 am and between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Bicycles are permitted at all other times.

■ The bicycle policy applies to all types of bicycles
■ Do not take bicycles on escalators. Bicyclists must use elevators or stairs.
■ Do not ride bicycles in trains, on platforms or the stations.
■ Bicycles are not permitted in the first car of the train.
■ No more than two bicycles are permitted on a PATH car.
■ PATH or PAPD may require bicyclists to wait for the next train.
■ Hold the bicycle while on trains and do not block aisles or doors.
■ In the event of an evacuation, leave the bicycle on the train and ensure that it does not block aisles or doors

Posted on: 2009/12/18 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Bicycles (all types) are not allowed on PATH weekdays between 6:30 am and 9:30 am and between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm.
also
No coffee and don't walk on the escalator.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
It is looked at as a bicycle no matter how you fold 'em. However PATH tends to look the other way during the rush hour if it's a folding bike. Although try getting onto a morning rush hour train or any rush hour for that matter it is like sardine city. Just don't go into the first or second car that is where the engineer & conductor do business.
I have been told in certain places other than The PATH when carrying a small folding bike that bikes were not allowed even though it was in it's folded position.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 16:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
the path's bike rules need to be readjusted. it should only be for the manhattan bound am rush, and jersey bound pm rush. the jersey bound am, and manhattan bound pm rush are completely empty.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 14:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This does not apply to folding bikes, as long as the bike is fully folded before boarding the train.

http://www.transalt.org/resources/aboard

I'm not sure why the PATH info page no longer states that folding bicycles are allowed. May have been accidentally left out when the website got redesigned.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/security.html

This applies to all MTA trains also:
(they will even sell you a folding bike)
http://www.mta.info/bike/

miles

Posted on: 2009/12/18 14:32

Folding bicycles on PATH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a question for the philosophy majors:
If a bicycle folds, does it cease being a bicycle? I would say no.

"Bicycles on PATH
Bicycles are not allowed on PATH weekdays between 6:30 am and 9:30 am and between 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm. Bicycles are permitted at all other times.
The bicycle policy applies to all types of bicycles."

Not sure why this bothers me so much but it just does. Every time I see one, I think "sweet foldy dude." It's barely a step above a razor scooter.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 14:12

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017