Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Parkside Bistro - Hamilton Park - CLOSED
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
RIPieces: home of the grossest food I have ever eaten in JC.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 15:20

Re: Parkside Bistro - Hamilton Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
They're closed... walked by yesterday and saw the owner disassembling the counter and tables.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 20:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:
What I'm talking about is something different from Basic. A place where you can stop and pick out prepared foods from a display case and have them pack it for you. Like ginger salmon, pesto noodles, veggie burgers, mac and cheese, etc. You'd pay by the pound, in case you don't feel like cooking that night. Like Whole Foods or something like that. They have that stuff at A&P but it's not very good.

Like this place. Expensive as hell, but best salad bar ever.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
What I'm talking about is something different from Basic. A place where you can stop and pick out prepared foods from a display case and have them pack it for you. Like ginger salmon, pesto noodles, veggie burgers, mac and cheese, etc. You'd pay by the pound, in case you don't feel like cooking that night. Like Whole Foods or something like that. They have that stuff at A&P but it's not very good.

I share your wish - the prepared food at Whole Foods, Citarella's and Balducci (of blessed memory) - are good models. Those Boar's Head/Extruded Shrimp Korean Delis are not what I have in mind. I can't imagine why anyone would move if one opened up - you can just cross to the other side of the street.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Parkside Bistro is a solid restaurant. Their chicken marsala is amazing and myself and gf became big fans after going their for the first time from (gasp) Living Social deal.

BYOB too !

Posted on: 2012/7/25 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
That's great, but I want one by Hamilton Park because I'm lazy.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are numerous Korean-Deli style places where you can by prepared food by the pound, in fact I'd say downtown is overrun with them, at least in the Exchange Place area.

* 28 Montogmerry Street.
* 77 Hudson
* One right opposite the main entrance to Exchange Place Path.
* Down by Essex Street Light rail, on the corner facing the river.
* A new one opening up over by Avaya Indian restaraunt.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:

a place that's just like a big Whole Foods prepared section would make me never leave this one-horse town.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/25 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
It'll have to be either a different cuisine or a better value than Basic.

I think it would be possible for a vegetarian-friendly salad/sandwich/smoothie place with fresh/organic ingredients to do really well in HP. A good salad bar is something that's missing downtown.

Quote:

Amy wrote:
Not to dance on their grave, but I would love to see a gourmet deli with prepared foods in that spot-- a place where people could stop on their return home from the PATH to get dinner. Am I being completely delusional?

Posted on: 2012/7/24 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Kinda sad. It was nice having a pretty reliable restaurant so close by. The neighborhood has now lost Embankment and Parkside, the two closest restaurants to my apartment aside from the mall and Burger King. That's a bummer. I hate to see any business close, especially local ones.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Their kebabs were great, and so were a couple of their Italian dishes. The rest was nothing to write home about. The decor was blah and so was the service, though the owner was friendly. It's sad to see a business fail though.
Not to dance on their grave, but I would love to see a gourmet deli with prepared foods in that spot-- a place where people could stop on their return home from the PATH to get dinner. Am I being completely delusional?

Posted on: 2012/7/24 18:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
They lasted a year longer than I expected. Given then numerous dining options and lack of parking in the area, you have to be better than average to survive, and they were way below average.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 14:43

Re: Parkside Bistro Brunch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
That's not surprising, there was never anyone in the place. I tried it a couple of times and it's wan't bad, just not good enough to bother caring about.

Still, I hate to see any business close.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Parkside Bistro seems to have closed down.

Went by earlier tonight and they were loading all their equipment into a Budget Truck.

Robin.

will not miss it

Posted on: 2012/7/24 8:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Parkside Bistro seems to have closed down.

Went by earlier tonight and they were loading all their equipment into a Budget Truck.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/7/24 2:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
I am just trying to help them out by spreading the word. As I picked up food last light I noticed they had there board out advertising Sunday Brunch. I thought it would be nice to let those in the area aware as we really need a good brunch place. I believe we should give them a chance. Besides I was made aware that the restaurant is under new management and are addressing those past issues.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Was a little turned off by the place last time I went. We had a cockroach run along the far wall, behind an unsuspecting group of four in the corner and towards two ladies sitting near the window. The cook came out and killed it with his hands. The group took their food to go, we were finishing up our meals. The restaurant emptied pretty fast after that.

Restaurants attract bugs, things happen, but c'mon. I worked in a restaurant part time for eight years and the occasional fruit fly was the biggest pest problem. Pest control is something the managers have to be on top of and Parkside Bistro doesn't seem to have that under control.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psyop wrote:
If you are trying to promote your restaurant just do that.
Maybe I'm wrong but first posts on something like this are always suspect...

Agreed. Local businesses interested in promoting on JC List would do well to see how Park & Sixth and Grove Street Bicycles do it. Be honest and tell us who you are and we'll (generally) respond honestly and with respect.

Speaking of such honesty, I've been a little turned off from Parkside Bistro ever since they failed to honor a LivingSocial deal under suspicious circumstances. I have gone back since, but the service was uneven enough (10+ minutes to get water, no refills on drinks, menu items not available) to fail to convince me otherwise.

Food there has always been solid though. That jasmine rice is awesome.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
If you are trying to promote your restaurant just do that.
Maybe I'm wrong but first posts on something like this are always suspect...

Posted on: 2012/5/8 23:39

Parkside Bistro Brunch

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Parkside Bistro will officially open for Brunch on weekends starting with this Sunday Mothers Day. We should all try to support them! I myself have been waiting for them to offer Brunch since they opened 2 years ago. Thanks Parkside and much success.

Posted on: 2012/5/8 23:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The service is always very friendly...and accurate. I like the middle eastern specialties...stuffed vegetables, chicken kebab...very tasty. The food is consistently good...lots of healthy options too. I prefer take out because I live closeby....

Posted on: 2011/9/22 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
The eggplant rollatini and kebabs are consistently delicious. I'm also a fan of their baba ganoush. Their chicken ala vodka is great comfort food. They make some good food here.

However, their service is so unpredictable and more often than not, just frustratingly bad that I have trouble psyching myself up to go. There used to be a young guy who was nice and fairly attentive (not sure if he's still there). The bald owner is very friendly and smartly remembers locals. The other owner seems more interested in talking on his phone than running a restaurant. Many time I've been there, he's the only staff in the dining room, we are waiting for something, and he's clueless. Once there was a guy with a beard who actually seemed like a trained waiter. There have been several girls who were simultaneously overbearing and inattentive.

I usually love the food but the service is some of the worst. They've been open for too long now to not have figured it out. Sometimes I wonder if they're really in the restaurant business because I can't understand how they can survive on so few customers.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
My wife and I order delivery from here once every couple weeks. She likes the eggplant rollitini and I have been really loving the kebobs lately, they are outstanding.
Shrimp scampi is horrible, actually stopped eating it half-way through.
Also, someone should tell them that having flyers for hair waxing on the counter of a restaurant is beyond nasty.
Living social stuff sounds shady, sorry to hear they are doing that. It would be in their best interest to just honor the coupons anyway. Oh well, I will miss the kabobs if they close. Ice cream is good too.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 12:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/24 13:20
Group:
Registered Users
Every time we get delivery from here its been delivered within 25-35 minutes and piping hot. never been to the actual restaurant before.

Posted on: 2011/9/12 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The kebabs here are wonderful, but the service is terrible. Last time I was there there were three tables filled and two people working the front. Service was incredibly slow and no one seemed to care whether we had a nice meal. The owner seems nice, but I don't understand why he thinks the level of service is acceptable.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 19:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
So frustrated with this place...

I called for an order to-go at about 8:50 p.m. last Friday. I got to the place at 9:20 and it STILL wasn't ready. And I also noticed that there was absolutely no one eating in the restaurant and only one other customer- a man trying to get some ice cream.

The chicken kebabs are good- tender, plenty of meat + fresh veggies, and the rice is really great. The yogurt sauce that comes with it is usually good, but the last time I tried it it was watery and tasted sour.

With tax, it comes to about $14. Considering the lack of service, I don't really think it's worth the price.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 2:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Yup - about 4 months ago, it was the same thing. When we presented the Groupon/LivingSocial/whatever it was, the manager came over and told us they didn't agree to it or whatever. Something is shady here - it almost seems like the manager/owner is doing that to get people in the door, but not offer the discount. It's pretty unlikely that, once seated, patrons will opt to leave (we stayed, and so did Leigh and bodhipooh).

Something is fishy about it, seeing that it happened before and is now happening again.

It is a shame, because I really liked the kabobs I ordered.

I would soooo call/email Living Social or Groupon! Very sketchy and those companies should know not to do business with them.

Posted on: 2011/6/23 3:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/4 14:20
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is a shame to hear and hope it really was some sort of misunderstanding that got repeated several times.

I also hope it's not a sign of some larger problem because I like their food, in particular their stuffed vegetables. I have no idea how they make zucchini, peppers, and rice taste that good.

Posted on: 2011/6/22 0:58
Myth: Pancakes are for breakfast.

Fact: There are no rules when it comes to pancakes.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yup - about 4 months ago, it was the same thing. When we presented the Groupon/LivingSocial/whatever it was, the manager came over and told us they didn't agree to it or whatever. Something is shady here - it almost seems like the manager/owner is doing that to get people in the door, but not offer the discount. It's pretty unlikely that, once seated, patrons will opt to leave (we stayed, and so did Leigh and bodhipooh).

Something is fishy about it, seeing that it happened before and is now happening again.

It is a shame, because I really liked the kabobs I ordered.

Posted on: 2011/6/21 18:29

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017