Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Next Gay Marriage Battle: New Jersey
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Next Gay Marriage Battle: New Jersey?

METROPOLIS COLUMN
Wall Street Journal
6/30/2011

Gay-rights advocates filed a lawsuit Wednesday to challenge New Jersey?s civil-union law, claiming that it discriminates against same-sex couples in the state.

The legal move comes just one week after New York legalized same-sex marriage, the sixth state to do so, and on the same day that lawmakers in Rhode Island voted to approve civil unions for gay couples. New Jersey is currently among four states that recognize same-sex civil unions.

Could the courts put New Jersey into the gay marriage column? WSJ?s Law Blog takes a closer look at the lawsuit.

For now, a legal battle might be only way for gay-rights advocates to advance their cause. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has said that he would veto any same-sex marriage legislation.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/ ... SJBlog&mod=WSJ_NY_NY_Blog

Posted on: 2011/7/1 2:41

Re: New Jersey Nears Vote on Letting Gays Marry
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/9 23:06
Group:
Registered Users
It's more than a shame. It's insulting to all of the gay families in this state. My partner and I have had it. We stuck it out paying $20000 a year in property taxes and several tens of thousands more in income taxes to this state in the hopes that we would finally have equal rights under the law.

We've had enough. We're moving to Connecticut. We can't wait any longer and it hurts us to support this government when we are treated like second class citizens.

I would love to hear from the straight people whether they would like it if someone were to vote on whether they could marry the person they love. It's insulting.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/8 21:59

Re: New Jersey Senate Votes No on Gay Marriage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/19 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

simulcga wrote:
Is it possible that there can be that many ignorant buffoons?

And, I'm the registered Republican! If I feel this way, how can not a majority of the politicians (most of who bill themselves as liberal and progressive) make the right decision here.
"

We need to fire them. We elect politicians to do the right thing even if the buffoons are the majority. These politicians are just a bunch of cowards. I am sorry to say our President seems to be one of them.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/5 20:55
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
This whole issue just baffles me. The states of the northeast (the cradle of the abolitionist movement and the civil rights movement) have such a hard time moving into the 21st century. What I find funny is the arguments against gay marriage - seriously, they are hysterical. Is it possible that there can be that many ignorant buffoons?

And, I'm the registered Republican! If I feel this way, how can not a majority of the politicians (most of who bill themselves as liberal and progressive) make the right decision here.

If only NJ can figure out a way to tax gay marriage and then have the politicians pilfer the proceeds for personal gains . . . this would be a non-issue. Better yet, if there were some contracts to be rigged, this would have been passed before anyone could even utter the word "sanctity."

Posted on: 2010/1/8 17:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Waht a shame. It is a civil rights issue, and if it were left to the majority, the minorities including women and blacks would not have obtained equal rights in the 60's. Those who oppose gay marriage will realize in time they had stood on the wrong side of history. A terrible shame.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 15:40

New Jersey Senate Votes No on Gay Marriage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Because "Jersey Shore" was making us look too reasonable.

Senate Rejects Bill Legalizing Gay Marriage

Posted on: 2010/1/8 5:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
Convicted murderers, rapists, and the mentally challenged are allowed to get married in our state but not people of the same sex.

The United States is falling behind other countries in granting civil rights to it's citizens. I don't wish to move to Mexico City but applaud them for passing progessive laws.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 23:29

Re: Bruce Springsteen Supports Gay Marriage! Go New Jersey!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mexico City made gay marriage as well as adoption by gay people legal...not legal in NY/ NJ though. Perhaps Mexico should build a wall to keep close minded people out.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MND wrote:
Imagine there is a child...lets say 10, 11, 12...who notices something about themselves...as that child ages all they hear are derogitory words to describe their feelings...you know those words we have all used them...as that child grows into adulthood he/she is told there kind are responsible for a horrible disease that is causing millions of deaths worldwide, turn on the TV or attend a religous service and are told they are sinners, God hates them and their degenerate behavior. Now imagine that child is your son, daughter, brother, sister, best friend...wouldn't you want equal rights for that child?

We can't change the hatters...but lets try to change those who may describe themselves as tolerant but don't believe Gay marriage is a priority...that there are more pressing issues in our state.

It will be very easy to legalize Gay marriage...the assembly and senate pass it and the governor signs it into law. Then those who feel there are more pressing issues can work on those...to me a married man with children basic human rights for all is a priority.

Right ON MND!

As a single, hetero, Catholic-raised,former seminary-bound individual, I find that basic human rights are a priority for all, irrespective of their gender, beliefs, ethnicity, or politics.

May this bill pass and show that at least in NJ the rights of all are paramount.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 21:24
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Imagine there is a child...lets say 10, 11, 12...who notices something about themselves...as that child ages all they hear are derogitory words to describe their feelings...you know those words we have all used them...as that child grows into adulthood he/she is told there kind are responsible for a horrible disease that is causing millions of deaths worldwide, turn on the TV or attend a religous service and are told they are sinners, God hates them and their degenerate behavior. Now imagine that child is your son, daughter, brother, sister, best friend...wouldn't you want equal rights for that child?

We can't change the hatters...but lets try to change those who may describe themselves as tolerant but don't believe Gay marriage is a priority...that there are more pressing issues in our state.

It will be very easy to legalize Gay marriage...the assembly and senate pass it and the governor signs it into law. Then those who feel there are more pressing issues can work on those....to me a married man with children basic human rights for all is a priority.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I think the problem with most conservatives, rednecks etc. is the moment you mention gay marriage they picture a man in a wedding dress.

Posted on: 2009/12/10 15:01

Loretta to Cody: let the assembly go first
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The news was broken on Zach Fink's blog for NJN News here: http://zacharyfink.wordpress.com/2009 ... e-assembly-will-go-first/ (thanks to bluejersey for spreading the word)

Sen. Weinberg wants the Senate to table the vote on gay marriage until the assembly has the time to consider the bill first.
This is good for supporters because any legislation passed by the legislature must last be approved by the State senate. In other words, if the senate passes marriage first, once the assembly passes it, the senate must then pass marriage AGAIN.

Originally, the Assembly said they would only consider it once the senate passed the legislation. They seem to have changed their minds. The plot thickens.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Sen. Nicholas Sacco is planning to vote against marriage equality on Thursday. Sen. Sacco's legislative district encompasses part of Hudson County. Tell Sen. Sacco how you feel about his vote, by e-mail at SenSacco@njleg.org or by telephone at (201) 295-0200 (which has been busy all day long).

Also, his number at the Mayor's Office in North Bergen is 201-392-2005. If his Senate office number remains off the hook.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ntys_senators_are_sp.html

Hudson County's senators are split on same-sex marriage legislation
By The Jersey Journal
December 09, 2009, 9:35AM

Hudson County Sens. Brian Stack, D-Union City, and Sandra B. Cunningham, D-Jersey City plan to vote for the "Freedom of Religon and Equality in Civil Marriage Act," while Sen. Nicholas Sacco, D-North Bergen, plans to vote against the bill.

Sacco voted for the civil union legislation and as mayor of North Bergen performs civil unions.

"He met with Garden State Equality this fall and understands that this is a very difficult issue, but ultimately as a matter of conscience, he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, so he will be voting 'no,'" a spokesman said.

Stack is a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which in a 7-6 vote on Monday released the bill, clearing the way for tomorrow's vote.

Cunningham could not be reached for comment yesterday, but she is one of the bill's co-sponsors.

Advocates of the bill are pushing to have the legislation adopted before Gov. Jon S. Corzine, a supporter, leaves office. Governor-elect Chris Christie has threatened to veto the legislation if it's passed under his watch.

Christie has launched an ad stating that there are much more important things to worry about in New Jersey than same-sex marriage.

? 2009 New Jersey On-Line LLC. All Rights Reserved

Posted on: 2009/12/9 19:35

Bruce Springsteen Supports Gay Marriage! Go New Jersey!!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.newnownext.com/2009/12/bru ... rriage-go-new-jersey.html

A BRIEF STATEMENT FROM BRUCE
Like many of you who live in New Jersey, I've been following the progress of the marriage-equality legislation currently being considered in Trenton. I've long believed in and have always spoken out for the rights of same sex couples and fully agree with Governor Corzine when he writes that, "The marriage-equality issue should be recognized for what it truly is -- a civil rights issue that must be approved to assure that every citizen is treated equally under the law." I couldn't agree more with that statement and urge those who support equal treatment for our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to let their voices be heard now.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 17:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Amen. Let them marry. Let them be. And let your prejudice rest.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 16:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
one day soon all people will have the same rights regardless of their sexual orientation.

in the near future we will have to explain how people were discrimanated against because of their sexual orientation.

Seperate but equal
don't kiss don't tell
civil unions

all failed policies.

simple..judge a person by who they are not by color of their skin, their race, their religon..or who they are attracted to!

Posted on: 2009/12/9 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
ianmac, that sums it up quite well.

Posted on: 2009/12/9 15:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the list, robocub. writing an email now.

Here is Shirley Turners email:

Shirley Turner - Democrat (Trenton) - senturner@njleg.org

Posted on: 2009/12/9 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/9 15:23

Re: New Jersey Nears Vote on Letting Gays Marry - contact your Senators now.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I tried calling 6 of the undecided Senators this morning. All of their voicemail boxes were full. Here are their email addresses. Please email them. Ask them to support bill S-1967 - "Freedom of Religion and Marriage Equality" bill. Best to put something in the Subject header of your email for them to support and vote YES on bill S-1967 so they see that immediately.

Even if you don't live in their district, you can tell them that you live in NJ and their vote affects you and your family.

Sen. Fred Madden (Dem): senmadden@njleg.org (856) 232-6700

Sen. Sean Kean (Rep): senskean@njleg.org (732) 974-0400

Sen. Jennifer Beck (Rep): senbeck@njleg.org (732) 933-1591

Sen. Kip Bateman (Rep): senbateman@njleg.org (908) 526-3600

Sen. Tom Kean (Rep): mail@tomkean.com (908) 232-3673

Sen. Nick Sacco (Dem): sensacco@njleg.org (201) 295-0200

Posted on: 2009/12/9 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
IMO...this is not just about "Gay" rights it's about all our rights. Everyone is entitled to be treated equally....wasn't all that long ago when a black person couldn't ride in the front of a bus because of their skin color, when women couldn't vote because of their sex.... If two people love each other, no one has the right to deny them .... I am straight I am female I believe in god and I support same sex marriage
Senate committee hears emotional testimony on same-sex marriage bill
Senate judiciary committee vote to approve same-sex marriage bill
Full (almost) text of Sen. Gill speech before she voted Yes. ?When we get to the issue of the constitution [...] History shows you could never have contemplated that marriage is between a man and a woman. If you look at the constitution, at its intent, the constitution intended that African-Americans would never be full participants. ?The legislators ? the female ones ? would not be here, because the constitution never intended for a woman to have the right to vote. And if we looked further at what the constitution intended ? as if it is a stagnant body ? then we know that disabled people would have no rights, under the equal protection clause, that they have access to public buildings. ?It is a civil rights issue ? not because African-Americans own the copyright to civil rights, it is a civil rights issue in the analysis of the equal protection of the fourteenth amendment in the constitution. And maybe some in my community want to hold on to it, because it?s ours. Because our blood has been shed for the right to vote, and we jealously guard that as a re-affirmation of being American. And so we hold it, because no one can do civil rights and have civil rights better than we do. That?s emotional, but it is certainly not an analysis of the constitutional imperatives that face us. It?s a civil rights issue. ?Each side has an emotional story to tell. So I am not involved in that. But I am involved in how does this strip people of the equality under the law. And as an African-American and as a woman who would jealously guard all the civil rights struggles, this is a civil rights struggle on the magnitude and importance for the people who have died for the right to vote, for the people who have died to allow women the right to vote. And if I took a different stand, which would be a more traditional stand, that the community that identifies with me wants me to take, then I will have breached the tradition and the trust of the elders and the ancestors. And so I vote for the equality of marriage because I believe in the constitution.? Cross posting this from another site. Please, if you support this call them and urge them to vote...YES! Quote:
author=MCA The general vote is this Thursday and 21 votes are needed to pass. The following State Senators are undecided. Call them now: Christopher Bateman - (908) 526-3600 Jennifer Beck - (732) 933-1591 Sean Kean - (732) 974-0400 Thomas Kean, Jr. - (908) 232-3673 Fred Madden - (856) 232-6700 Nicholas Sacco - (201) 295-0200 Shirley Turner - (609) 530-3277

Posted on: 2009/12/9 4:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Both sides of N.J. gay marriage debate face bigger statewide issues By Mark DiIonno The guy in the Gen. Washington get-up was a lone sentry, quietly pacing outside the Statehouse with a sign that said George and Martha believed marriage was between a man and woman. He was later relieved by a dozen of earnest looking people with "Protect Our Children" signs. The kind of people you see at PTA meetings, or church bake sales, or youth sports fundraisers. In an overflow room where a crowd gathered to hear the debate over the marriage equality bill, a heavyset guy with a 5?o?clock shadow stood out in his faux leopard print dress. Other than that, there were no outlandish statements or garish costumes. The place was mostly filled with people wearing blue t-shirts that read "Equality: The American Dream." The kind of people you see at PTA meetings, or church bakes sales, or youth sports fundraisers. READ MORE........
Senate committee hears emotional testimony on same-sex marriage bill
Senate judiciary committee vote to approve same-sex marriage bill

Posted on: 2009/12/8 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/8 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Why should we let them marry? They come to our country and take all our railroad building jobs. We should ban all gay immigration. Also to track the ones here they should wear rainbow stars at all times. And if on the path they're in a seat and I want it they should have to get up.

/sarcasm

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
For anyone cowering behind the guise that the Pope says marriage equality is wrong, let's not forget the complacency of the Vatican when it came to the Holocaust, and the apology almost 50 years later. If they wrong about that, then it stands to reason the pope can be wrong on marriage equality.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 18:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
jclady..I answered the question. Maybe I should let Duggie Howard MD, socialists, you, jclist and Obama guide me? Why not Stalin or Castro? I am OFF this thread and site forever. Too many closed minded liberals...most likely all union workers here..and I'm closed minded..please.
OK tomorrow I will watch Ellen DeGenerate.
haaaa haaa losers. I'll pray to Liberacci and Adam Lambert for moral guidance. better right?
as I mock another jack-azz here ROLF. LOL (dumb shit).
maybe the commie host will block this heartfelt goodbye.

WOW ! I wonder if teacher is related to Glenn Beck ? Well, as a godless evil liberal atheist commie pinko, teacher has given me a good laugh to start the day.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 14:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/1 12:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Tonight's narrow vote did not follow party lines. Republican Baroni voted yes along with six Democrats, while two Democrats, committee chair Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen) and vice chair John Girgenti (D-Passaic), both voted no.

from the nj.com article.

democrats voting no on this bill is an outrage. i know probably everyone here is from hudson county, but people in bergen and passaic counties should be aware of this so they can a) pressure them to change their vote by thursday b) not re-elect these people come election time.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/12/8 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sam, 'teacher' is probably about the age of the photo in his profile.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/12/8 3:15

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017