Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Woman, 70, in 'life-threatening but stable' condition after being mauled by pit bulls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
i'd also like to outlaw pit bulls that carry guns

Posted on: 2009/12/7 20:57

Re: Woman, 70, in 'life-threatening but stable' condition after being mauled by pit bulls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
Outlawing pit bulls is as stupid as outlawing guns. Operator behavior is the problem, not, by and large, the animal.

for the record, I'd like to outlaw guns.

Is this a joke?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
Outlawing pit bulls is as stupid as outlawing guns. Operator behavior is the problem, not, by and large, the animal.

for the record, I'd like to outlaw guns.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
i feel very unsafe with all these pit bulls running around. anyone is a target.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dntshootthepianist wrote:
when i saw this thread i was hoping it was an old thread that someone had just commented on. what a bummer.
i just think this story is a bummer.

I'm sure the 70 year old woman in a "'life-threatening" condition agrees!

...and I didn't read anything about the women pit bull owners having "checked "pasts.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
When I was a little kid, my friend had two pit bulls. This is before the reputation they have today. They were the sweetest things. So based on my personal experience I firmly believe that it is in the owners' training.

I understand how people can jump to a mob mentality after so many headlines involving this breed (how many times do you see "mauled by chihuahuas?"), but put the blame where it belongs.

my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
Quote:
Maybe we should euthanize all minorities and families of criminals too because they may also be a potential threat to society based on stigma and statistics?

having this conversation with the pit bull deniers is like listening to hard core republicans defend Sarah Palin.

Fixate much?

This thread fulfilled Godwin's Law in not record but near record time.

If there's a breed propensity to violence, in absence of human influence, I haven't ever read anything about it. I'd be interested in seeing it if anyone has.

All animals can be dangerous.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
having this conversation with the pit bull deniers is like listening to hard core republicans defend Sarah Palin.

Hey!
That's uncalled for!

Nobody said anything about lipstick.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 13:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
when i saw this thread i was hoping it was an old thread that someone had just commented on. what a bummer.

we own a pit. why? because when we went to liberty about 80% of the dogs there were pits. why? because lots of kind-hearted animal lovers have a predisposed opinion about pits (and this included me before we adopted one) and don?t want to adopt them, and because a lot of the people who come in looking exclusively for pits can be shady characters.

yesterday i was volunteering at liberty and a guy wanted to know about one of the pits in there. i had a bad vibe about him and told him that pits required experienced handlers and that we would approve him to adopt a pit after he attended four of our training sessions with one of us. then he took off. am i right about my bad vibe? i don?t know, but better safe than sorry.

the two descriptions of the breed that i agree with are that they are strong and they are persistent. therefore, owning a pit means that basic precautions that should be taken with all dogs are things that must be done with pits.

my dog is great. i know a lot of pits that are great. but I also know that i won?t make anyone an automatic pit lover based on a post on a message board. there was an interesting article a few years ago in the new yorker, i believe, which featured stats about pit bull attacks, and the upshot was that the people who own pits that have attacked people are almost always individuals with checkered pasts who should not be allowed to own an animal, or a gun, or even a moving vehicle.

unfortunately, if such people continue to have access to pits, this kind of thing will continue, and all of the goodwill that my dog creates when the kids at the bus stop we walk by pet him will be gone when some other moron-owned pit has another headline-inducing incident.

i was hesitant about adopting a pit. i talked to some owners, consulted message boards and read a couple of books, and made a decision that i'm really happy about today. i just wanted to post that i am a happy a pit owner, but i don't have any judgment towards people who have little direct experience with the breed for having certain opinions.

i just think this story is a bummer.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Maybe we should euthanize all minorities and families of criminals too because they may also be a potential threat to society based on stigma and statistics?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 11:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
How many times do we need to read about this? Euthanization of all Pit Bulls is the only answer. Why isn't this a priority on a local level?

Sorry. You do not and should not have the right to euthanize anyone else's dog. If their dog harms someone else, of course, there should be consequences. But a free society should not allow pre-emptive murder of other people's property.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trp3 wrote:
christ on a cracker, I hate this thread. i want to pee on this thread. i am currently trying to vomit on my keyboard hoping it somehow morfs into cyber-puke and goes all over this thread.

i hope all you pit bull deniers get bit by a chihuahua tomorrow whereas immediately after, your pit bull eats the chihuahua and then vomits it back up on your favorite pair of shoes when you get back home.

Oh my.... Please go outside and breathe some polluted air. It sounds like you are in the middle of a meltdown... Poor thing.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
and chocolate kills dogs!

Done!

Posted on: 2009/12/7 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Do we have to have this debate every time?! Some of us like pit bulls, some of us don't. None of us ever changes our minds, so what's the point?

You're right, this JUST like Chocolate vs. Vanilla ice cream, except Vanilla just tore some old lady's head off.

but statistically, more minor injuries are caused by chocolate.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

itsaurora wrote:
Do we have to have this debate every time?! Some of us like pit bulls, some of us don't. None of us ever changes our minds, so what's the point?

You're right, this JUST like Chocolate vs. Vanilla ice cream, except Vanilla just tore some old lady's head off.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/6 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
christ on a cracker, I hate this thread. i want to pee on this thread. i am currently trying to vomit on my keyboard hoping it somehow morfs into cyber-puke and goes all over this thread.

i hope all you pit bull deniers get bit by a chihuahua tomorrow whereas immediately after, your pit bull eats the chihuahua and then vomits it back up on your favorite pair of shoes when you get back home.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
statistically chihuahua bites are the most suffered dog bites. Lets kill 'em all.

The most absurd trope of the pit bull apologists. Sure, lots of dogs bite, but few of them have the size, strength and tenacity to do the kind of lethal damage a pit bull can do.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I love Philly because, while they do euthanize pit bulls that were fought, they give the others a chance to find forever homes. And statistically chihuahua bites are the most suffered dog bites. Lets kill 'em all.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 17:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/22 19:24
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
You can ad the elderly, mentally challenged, and terminally ill to that list too.

This wouldn't be the first time this was done. During the time period between 1933-1945 the European country of Germany under Chancellor Adolph Hitler created a decree that all useless human beings be terminated.

Those were the good old days for you, right heights?

lmfao, seriously. lol lol

Posted on: 2009/12/6 8:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
You can ad the elderly, mentally challenged, and terminally ill to that list too.

This wouldn't be the first time this was done. During the time period between 1933-1945 the European country of Germany under Chancellor Adolph Hitler created a decree that all useless human beings be terminated.

Those were the good old days for you, right heights?

Posted on: 2009/12/6 7:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:

Posted on: 2009/12/6 2:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/5 13:19
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Euthanize all pit bulls? I love my pit bull more than anything in this world, and she deserves to live. The owners are the ones to blame-not the dogs!

Posted on: 2009/12/6 1:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/12/6 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

croft wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
How many times do we need to read about this? Euthanization of all Pit Bulls is the only answer. Why isn't this a priority on a local level?

I'd love to see every person that encourages euthanasia and breed specific legislation to actually sit down and perform euthanasia themselves (not by just watching a vet, it's not even close.) I highly doubt most of you could handle it.

Your first paragraph doesn't even make sense. Sooner or later the insurance companies will get involved with this issue.

Posted on: 2009/12/6 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:

I'd love to see every person that encourages euthanasia and breed specific legislation to actually sit down and perform euthanasia themselves (not by just watching a vet, it's not even close.) I highly doubt most of you could handle it.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

This is sort of like linking articles of murders committed by two different people of the same race. Two completely different, isolated incidents. That's pretty asinine GrovePath.

That would never happen, because everyone is too pussy to broadcast the race of suspects.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Poor woman was just walking by - at 70 years old I hope she somehow pulls through - surely though she'll never be the same - what a crime! The woman taking care of these pit bulls should do some jail time -- and both her and the owner of the house should lose everything they own! The insurance company (if it even does cove this) needs to stop insuring property owners with such animals.

Resized Image

Just last week in Nutley there was another pit bull attack on two people and a dog:

"Headquarters responded to a dog that was attacking several people in the area of Florence Street. A pit bull dog was at large in the neighborhood and attacked another dog while walking with its owner. The dog and two victims were bit by the aggressive animal and had to be treated for their injuries. The pit bull was secured and taken into quarantine by police. The owner was issued summons for dog at large and vicious dog."
http://www.northjersey.com/news/78389042.html

This is sort of like linking articles of murders committed by two different people of the same race. Two completely different, isolated incidents. That's pretty asinine GrovePath.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:

I walk dogs, most of whom are pits at LHS in my spare time. Never once have I felt threatened by any of them, nor did they give me reason to. Until I volunteered there, I felt the same way as you about pits and rottweilers.
The problem isn't with the dogs, but their owners. Many residents in urban areas should have a license to have pets. Look at the behavior of some of the children that attend schools in JC. And then you wonder why there are so many pets who were raised to be aggressive.
I have heard of some real shitty reasons for adopting animals from the locals. This is embedded in the culture of some of these people and there is not much you can do to change it.
I've seen Indians and Pakistanis come in to try and adopt cats. They didn't even bother looking at them! They use them for a short period of time to catch mice in their residence and then they most likely end up in the street.
One of the mothers brought in her 3 year old daughter to pick out a kitten. She told us she didn't want to have it neutered because she was adopting it to teach her daughter about "the circle of life". This idiot was going to make this cat reproduce to teach how living things have babies! Get an effin book moron!
Thug kids roll in on a regular basis to adopt dogs for "protection". (I'm sure there are plenty who don't naively state the truth).
The point is, it's silly to blame household pets for being aggressive. The owners of these dogs should be charged with attempted murder. Dogs don't just spontaneously charge at people with the intent to kill unless the owner condones such behavior.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Poor woman was just walking by - at 70 years old I hope she somehow pulls through - surely though she'll never be the same - what a crime! The woman taking care of these pit bulls should do some jail time -- and both her and the owner of the house should lose everything they own! The insurance company (if it even does cove this) needs to stop insuring property owners with such animals.

Resized Image

Just last week in Nutley there was another pit bull attack on two people and a dog:

"Headquarters responded to a dog that was attacking several people in the area of Florence Street. A pit bull dog was at large in the neighborhood and attacked another dog while walking with its owner. The dog and two victims were bit by the aggressive animal and had to be treated for their injuries. The pit bull was secured and taken into quarantine by police. The owner was issued summons for dog at large and vicious dog."
http://www.northjersey.com/news/78389042.html

Posted on: 2009/12/5 15:32

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017