Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
176 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 176

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

N.J. Room Book Signing on J.C. History
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... tys_history_is_topic.html

http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 60429982161360.xml&coll=3

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... st_and_harris_answer.html

Authors signing at Library tonight
Thursday, December 10, 2009
The two authors of "Changing Jersey City: A History in Photographs" will be speak tonight at 6:30 p.m. at the main branch of the Jersey City Free Public Library.
Author Cynthia Harris and photographer Leon Yost will present a slide show and sign copies of the book on the third floor of the library, 472 Jersey Ave.
Harris, the manager of the New Jersey Room in the library since 2001, was born in Jersey City and has been a teacher in the city's public schools for 25 years.
"My heart is here," she said.
The book was published by Schiffer Books in September

Posted on: 2009/12/10 12:07

Re: Jersey City's Libraries
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
I've also visited the Marion and West Bergen Branches once or twice through the years. Does anyone else remember when Pavonia was on Pavonia?

Posted on: 2009/12/8 0:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/8 15:57
Group:
Registered Users
I am a library student and have been using the Jersey City libraries for the past year, as well as another library system (where I work). I love the Heights and Pavonia branches, as well as the Main branch - which I visited for the first time today. Employees are welcoming and the environment is satisfyingly quiet, but active. I love using my neighborhood libraries, it makes me feel like a bigger part of the community. The sharing, free, democratic nature of libraries is very appealing - so use your library!!!
For those who have had less than perfect experiences, speak up to your library staff!

If you are not happy with operating hours, make suggestions. If the collection seems dated, make suggestions. Libraries are very open to new ideas, and have supported communities for a very long time. It is the community that keep the library dynamic!

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:14

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/13 13:10
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if the library near you does not have the book you want, you can ask them to put it on request. They will obtain a copy from another New Jersey branch and notify you when they have it in house so you can borrow it.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 3:40
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kizzeface wrote:
I hate to say it, but I think the city's libraries are pretty pitiful. There is a dearth of interesting new literature, they have difficulty keeping track of their inventory, and the hours are generally more suited to the unemployed than those of us who actually work and don't get home until after 6:00 or 7:00 at night. I'm an avid reader, and I make much better use of the Grace Church Sunday used book sale than the city's "libraries."

Well, I wont "say it", but instead write it: the libraries are open on Saturday and until 8pm twice a week.
http://www.jclibrary.org/libinfo/hours.php

Posted on: 2009/12/7 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I haven?t been to any besides the main branch. Do any of the other branches have historical items of worth or is all of that in the Jersey Room of the main branch? If you are looking to find out about local history the Jersey Room in the main branch is fantastic. The staff is incredibly helpful also.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I've only ever used the main branch on Jersey Ave. So far, I've been pleased. My reading tastes, for the most part, aren't particularly high brow. I can usually find some work of fiction to pass away the time on my PATH commute. These are books I really don't want to spend money buying, so the library makes sense. The ladies working there have also been helpful when I needed them. I actually get the feeling that the library is under-utiliized. Often, I can find some bestseller just sitting on the shelf, looking like no one's ever cracked open the spine. Is it any wonder that JC's last surviving bookstore - the mall B. Dalton, which was no great shakes - is about to shut down?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kizzeface wrote:
I hate to say it, but I think the city's libraries are pretty pitiful. the hours are generally more suited to the unemployed than those of us who actually work and don't get home until after 6:00 or 7:00 at night.

What makes you think they are unemployed, and unemployable ie: (actually work) I may think that about you when I see you in a place that requires service which requires workers. ie: restaurant. I've been to the library hundreds of times during "working" hours doing research that might benifit me financially and I might have looked dishelved as well. Perhaps I fit into your un-employed catagory.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/10 21:29
Group:
Registered Users
I hate to say it, but I think the city's libraries are pretty pitiful. There is a dearth of interesting new literature, they have difficulty keeping track of their inventory, and the hours are generally more suited to the unemployed than those of us who actually work and don't get home until after 6:00 or 7:00 at night. I'm an avid reader, and I make much better use of the Grace Church Sunday used book sale than the city's "libraries."

Posted on: 2009/12/7 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i've only ever been to 5 corners, heights, and the main one downtown. my favorite was the main one, as they had nice secluded areas to sit down and read or to do work. it was hard to replicate this at the other 2 libraries, since they were smaller and invariably you would get some noise from people talking, etc.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 2:44

Jersey City's Libraries
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Which libraries do you visit and like?

My favorites are:
* The Main Library 472 Jersey Avenue
* Five Corners 678 Newark Avenue
* The Heights 14 Zabriskie Street
* Miller 489 Bergen Avenue
* Greenville 1841 Kennedy Boulevard
and Lafayette 307 Pacific Avenue

I've only been to Pavonia (326 Eighth Street) a couple of times. I remember when Pavonia was at 206 Pavonia Avenue and when Perfecto Oyola Biblioteca Criolla and Cultural Center (280 First Street) was new at 120 Newark Avenue. Also when Glenn D. Cunningham (275 Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.) was Claremont and just up the street at 291.

Sorry to say, I've never been to Pearsall (104 Pearsall Avenue) though I've been in the area many times through the years.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 2:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017