Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City 9-year-old is named World's Cutest Vegetarian Boy
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/5 14:14
Group:
Registered Users
Why are people always surprised that vegetarians/vegans can be fat? Not eating animals doesn't mean you don't enjoy french fries or cheetos for every meal. It just means you don't eat meat!

On that note. Peta sucks and I hate that I have anything in common with their organization.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
We are not exactly at the top of the food chain. Think for a moment how many wild animals have the ability to hunt, kill, and eat us with the instinct, strength, and teeth they are born with. Without accumulating and passing-on the knowledge of tools, weapons, and the domestication of docile herbivores we would be lucky to catch a potato. Also, with the exception of fish we almost never eat carnivorous animals. We are the most dangerous creatures on the planet, but we're far from born predators. It's only through a questionable system that I can go to the butcher shop tonight and buy a couple dry-aged rib eye steaks. (The side of brussel sprouts will be a different story.)

so following that logic, does that make an NFL linebacker higher in the food chain than you,regardless of his intelligence? after all, he's 5 times your strength.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 20:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/20 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
LOVES HIS TOFU CHICKEN NUGGETS
9-year-old PETA contest winner proud to be a born vegetarian
Saturday, November 14, 2009
By CLAIRE MOSES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Getting Perry Martijena to eat his vegetables is not a problem.

The 9-year-old Jersey City boy is proud to be a vegetarian.

He's also been crowned one of two Cutest Vegetarian Kids in a contest by the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"I usually don't win a lot of contests," Perry said, recalling how he was in the middle of a tennis class when he heard the news. "So I went back in and said, 'I won the contest, guys!'"

Hundreds of kids had sent their photos in to the third annual contest, said Marta Holmberg, PETA assistant manager of youth campaigns. Six finalists were picked, three boys and three girls, who were winnowed down to a boy and a girl winner.

The winners - Perry, and Grace Jencks of Park City, Utah - are celebrated on petakids.com and will be featured in Animal Times, PETA's quarterly magazine.

Perry, who is also an actor, explained that he's been a vegetarian his entire life.

"I was born that way," he said.

His mother, Robyn, said she never liked the thought of eating meat.

"When we think of eating pork or eating a burger," Robyn Martijena said, "we actually think of the animal."

Perry said he enjoys eating tofu chicken nuggets, soy corn dogs and veggie burgers.

Robyn Martijena has given her son the option of trying meat at relatives' homes, but said he didn't want to. The family's mini-poodle, Veni, is allowed to have meat.

Perry, who is home-schooled, likes to play video games in his spare time and is also a fan of the outdoors. He has appeared on "Law & Order" and starred in some television commercials.

An only child, he said he doesn't want to force anyone to be a vegetarian, but hopes that people will follow his example.

"I feel like I'm making a change in the world by being a vegetarian," he said.
http://www.nj.com/news/jjournal/jerse ... 58183505289230.xml&coll=3
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1.) Home schooled
2.) Vegetarian
3.) "Actor"

Posted on: 2009/11/15 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
A 2006 United Nations report found that the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.

The Wikipedia page on the report here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock's_Long_Shadow

Livestock's Long Shadow: Environmental Issues and Options. The full report:
ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/a0701e/a0701e00.pdf

Posted on: 2009/11/14 6:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

We are not exactly at the top of the food chain. Think for a moment how many wild animals have the ability to hunt, kill, and eat us with the instinct, strength, and teeth they are born with. Without accumulating and passing-on the knowledge of tools, weapons, and the domestication of docile herbivores we would be lucky to catch a potato. Also, with the exception of fish we almost never eat carnivorous animals.

We are the most dangerous creatures on the planet, but we're far from born predators. It's only through a questionable system that I can go to the butcher shop tonight and buy a couple dry-aged rib eye steaks. (The side of brussel sprouts will be a different story.)

You might see vegetarians as having a holier-than-thou attitude, but the vast majority of us meat-eating humans carry on with smug entitlement to the whole affair. We don't eat animals because we need to, we eat them because their flesh tastes good and by dominating our environment, we can basically do as we please. The naturally occurring food chain has nothing to do with it. If you want to talk "hostile" and "offensive," start there.

I agree that PETA is often ridiculous, but by being over-the-top with their message, we're aware of them. And yes, the consumption of animals products is unhealthy in the quantities that we Americans tend to favor. Why do you think heart disease is such a widespread problem? The fatty cut of beef I will eat tonight is probably as bad for my health as the cigarette I will smoke afterwards.

We are, for better or worse, the dominant species on the planet. We owe that not so much for our ability to be predators but to the fact that our brains are that much bigger, thanks in large part to the consumption of meat along the evolutionary way. True, now that evolution has gotten us here, we don't need to eat that much, if any, meat at all. Food is a deeply personal preference. I would no sooner put down someone's food choice than their choice of religion. While PETA's ridiculous message does get them attention, it's counterproductive. Everytime I hear their rhetoric, it just makes me want to run out and eat a big, juicy steak - even though I've sharply cut down on meat the past decade or so.

One of the main reasons I let my subscription to Yoga Journal lapse was because I got tired of the guilt trip they constantly tried to put on you if you weren't a vegetarian or vegan. Kind of ironic when you consider the other message they kept pushing was tolerance and acceptance.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 15:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
When you're 9, you eat whatever your parents feed you. What choice does that kid have in the matter?

I have to disagree with that comment because it doesn?t work like that. I?ve been a vegetarian for a very long time and it started when I was a young child who was surprised and upset when I found out where my hamburger came from. From then on I was an extremely picky eater especially when it came to meat. My mom would make dinner and 90% of the time I would spit out the meat/fish into a napkin when she wasn?t looking. Then proceed to the toilet to either flush it down or shove it in the trash (I?m surprised our toilet never got clogged). I never heard the term ?vegetarian? until my late teens and it took me until college to figure myself out. I had no issue with others eating meat/fish, but I just couldn?t do it?it just bothered me (and still does).

It goes both ways with the ?holier then thou? attitude, I?ve gotten numerous comments about my diet and mostly it comes from ignorant people who ask ?well what the hell do you actually eat? or ?foodies? who just laugh at me. I actually remember going to lunch with a client who said ?you pick the lunch place because I know how picky you are?. Then when I suggested this great Ethiopian place in the village he said ?errrr, I don?t eat that? ? then I suggested Thai food, he said the same thing ?errrr, I don?t eat that?. Basically if it wasn?t a hamburger, Italian or Chinese place he wasn?t going to be happy, suffice to say, he no longer describes me as ?picky?.

And +1 goes to Frank_M for his post.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Ryden wrote:
Wow. I can't believe the posts on this thread. I thought JC was a diverse, open-minded community and you all bash a 9 year old for being a vegetarian? If he was named world's cutest carnivore would you still be so harsh?

Why is it whenever vegetarianism is mention, meat eaters feel the need to belittle it. What harm is it doing to you? I seriously doubt my choice to not eat a hamburger or whatnot is affect your life.

I don't think most people would've responded the way they did if PETA hadn't put out such a ridiculous press release using the word "unhealthy" to describe the consumption of meat, eggs, cheese etc. Most omnivores tolerate/respect others' choice to become vegetarian. It's the hostile, holier-than-thou attitude vegetarians hold towards those who eat meat that's most offensive. Homo sapiens would not have evolved to the top of the food chain had our ancestors stuck to an all-vegetable diet.

We are not exactly at the top of the food chain. Think for a moment how many wild animals have the ability to hunt, kill, and eat us with the instinct, strength, and teeth they are born with. Without accumulating and passing-on the knowledge of tools, weapons, and the domestication of docile herbivores we would be lucky to catch a potato. Also, with the exception of fish we almost never eat carnivorous animals.

We are the most dangerous creatures on the planet, but we're far from born predators. It's only through a questionable system that I can go to the butcher shop tonight and buy a couple dry-aged rib eye steaks. (The side of brussel sprouts will be a different story.)

You might see vegetarians as having a holier-than-thou attitude, but the vast majority of us meat-eating humans carry on with smug entitlement to the whole affair. We don't eat animals because we need to, we eat them because their flesh tastes good and by dominating our environment, we can basically do as we please. The naturally occurring food chain has nothing to do with it. If you want to talk "hostile" and "offensive," start there.

I agree that PETA is often ridiculous, but by being over-the-top with their message, we're aware of them. And yes, the consumption of animals products is unhealthy in the quantities that we Americans tend to favor. Why do you think heart disease is such a widespread problem? The fatty cut of beef I will eat tonight is probably as bad for my health as the cigarette I will smoke afterwards.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 14:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
When you're 9, you eat whatever your parents feed you. What choice does that kid have in the matter?

Posted on: 2009/11/13 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I heard he's actually registered as a vegetarian in Florida.

Posted on: 2009/11/13 6:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ryden wrote:
I agree with everyone about PETA. As I vegetarian for 16 years, I think PETA has done just as much harm to the word vegetarianism as it has done good. However, the earlier posts only ripped on a defenseless little boy and vegetarianism.

Yes, it's a silly little contest that means nothing, but let the boy have his 15 minutes.

I agree, let him have his 15 minutes. No harm in that.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 22:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/2 13:46
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with everyone about PETA. As I vegetarian for 16 years, I think PETA has done just as much harm to the word vegetarianism as it has done good. However, the earlier posts only ripped on a defenseless little boy and vegetarianism.

Yes, it's a silly little contest that means nothing, but let the boy have his 15 minutes.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
I was vegan for a number of years, my girlfriend was vegetarian when we first met (I had nothing to do with the crossover, I swear), and hey to each their own when it comes to your diet. That's not the problem.

PETA is a problem. Crap ass organization does nothing but annoy.

And my (albeit completely harsh) comment about the kid was more along the lines of "there has GOT to be a cuter vegetarian kid in the USA."

He could have been voted cutest 9 year old rocket scientist, and I would have the same opinion.

But I'm not really going any further, because I'm actually just in a bad mood and should have kept my mouth shut instead of making a comment about this kid looking like a marmot. Sorry, folks.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go take out my aggressions on forty pounds of raw chicken breast.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:18
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ryden wrote:
Wow. I can't believe the posts on this thread. I thought JC was a diverse, open-minded community and you all bash a 9 year old for being a vegetarian? If he was named world's cutest carnivore would you still be so harsh?

Why is it whenever vegetarianism is mention, meat eaters feel the need to belittle it. What harm is it doing to you? I seriously doubt my choice to not eat a hamburger or whatnot is affect your life.

I don't think most people would've responded the way they did if PETA hadn't put out such a ridiculous press release using the word "unhealthy" to describe the consumption of meat, eggs, cheese etc. Most omnivores tolerate/respect others' choice to become vegetarian. It's the hostile, holier-than-thou attitude vegetarians hold towards those who eat meat that's most offensive. Homo sapiens would not have evolved to the top of the food chain had our ancestors stuck to an all-vegetable diet.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's more the ridiculousness of PETA holding a cutest kid veggie contest (if not the ridiculousness of PETA themselves) that elicited the reaction.

You can't take anything serious when PETA is involved.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/2 13:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/12 21:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/8 22:31
Group:
Registered Users
I say congratulations to the winning kid and his family. He looks cute and not malnourished. If his parents choose not to feed him animal products that is there business....plenty of protein sources elsewhere.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
In the words of The Dude, "Nice marmot, man."

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, really. This was the cutest kid?

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
He's not even that cute. Kinda looks like a marmot.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
someday he'll want the toy in the happy meal.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
He'll be eating meatballs by 10

Posted on: 2009/11/12 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I once worked briefly in an office full of vegetarians (god, it always sucked when they'd order pizza for the office). The funny thing was most of them were pretty chubby. A lot of them would still snarf down pretty unhealthy snacks throughout the day like oreos and potato chips. That's when I realized they were probably overcompensating for the lack of protein in their diets.

And how much do you wanna bet the kid sneaks out after school for a burger every now and then...

Posted on: 2009/11/12 15:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

saabconv wrote:
Because he probably isn't eating enough proteins, etc. he'll probably be short the rest of his life. Too much of anything isn't a good thing - but in moderation, there is nothing wrong with eggs, meat, vodka, etc.....

I concur

Posted on: 2009/11/12 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Because he probably isn't eating enough proteins, etc. he'll probably be short the rest of his life. Too much of anything isn't a good thing - but in moderation, there is nothing wrong with eggs, meat, vodka, etc.....

Posted on: 2009/11/12 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
in related news, i had a baconator at wendys yesterday... quality stuff.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 6:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CommanderKeen wrote:
god hate PETA

fixed

Posted on: 2009/11/12 5:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
god I hate PETA

Posted on: 2009/11/12 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City 9-year-old is named World's Cutest Vegetarian Boy

By Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal
November 11, 2009, 2:03PM

... "And by skipping unhealthy foods such as meat, eggs, and cheese, Perry is playing smart and helping ensure good health for his entire life."

Oh puhleeze.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

By Ron Zeitlinger/The Jersey Journal
November 11, 2009, 2:03PM

Resized Image

Perry Martijena, a 9-year-old from Jersey City, has been named World's Cutest Vegetarian Boy by PETA.Jersey City 9-year-old Perry Martijena has been named the World's Cutest Vegetarian Boy by the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).

PETA staffers who sifted through hundreds of photos and biographies sent in by proud parents and grandparents for the third annual contest, and Perry prevailed. But at the end of the day, it was 9-year-old Perry Martijena of Jersey City who prevailed, taking the title.

Perry will hold the title for a full year and will receive a PETA Kids prize pack featuring T-shirts and a copy of PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk's book 50 Awesome Ways Kids Can Help Animals.

Both Martijena and the world's cutest vegetarian girl -- Park City, Utah, resident Grace Jencks, 9 -- will be featured in PETA's quarterly magazine, Animal Times.

Perry enjoys lots of outdoor activities, including tennis, soccer, and baseball. He also acts and loves playing with his family's two dogs. His reasons for going vegetarian include concerns about animals.

"Clearly, Perry's vegan diet provides him with plenty of energy," PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said in a statement. "And by skipping unhealthy foods such as meat, eggs, and cheese, Perry is playing smart and helping ensure good health for his entire life."

Posted on: 2009/11/12 4:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017