Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Just because the style of this apparent emerging downtown class is not appealing to you doesn't make it wrong or make it "stink." It's when you start assigning general negative attitudes about those groups simply because they share different trends and desires than your own that you start to stink.

It's not that I'm being judgmental (well okay, maybe just a bit), I'm suggesting that something is genuinely wrong. I know I'm oversimplifying the issues, but we are so far removed from the unique cultures of our individual backgrounds that our common denominators amount to something predictably trite. It's not unique to city living, we see it everywhere. If you want to make a profit or be elected to political office, you had better market your products, your services, and yourself in a way that appeals to many arguably lame interests. And the cycle continues.

Posted on: 2009/11/12 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
I'm a magical newt that's lived here for over 500 years. Give me the good old days when half of downtown was a swamp. Or even 100 years ago with all the cool railroads and factories here. Even then you A-holes would have to boat across the river. You Homo Sapiens think you're soooo cool with your 2 legs, disposable thumbs and hair on your heads (most of you anyway). Give me the good old days when all I had to worry about was getting eaten, not stepped on. That's just me anyways. I know I'm generalizing.

PBW, I love you. Will you marry me or will the fact you are a newt and I am a bearded women be an issue? Will society accept us or will we be boxed in as just another yuppie bearded woman and Geico newt couple in downtown JC?

I find you both funny but it's a Geico Gecko!

...and I have done my job as a self entitled, latte drinking, yuppie-aged, money making, property value increasing, bearded woman at advertising Geico...which was what I was trying to do all along. Check please!

NOTE TO WEBMASTER: Where will you put this thread? So many to choose from the last five years that start with a phrase "yuppies". In fact, we may end up with just ONE very, very, very long thread on the entire website as it always ends up with this grand US vs. THEM. Nice!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
I'm a magical newt that's lived here for over 500 years. Give me the good old days when half of downtown was a swamp. Or even 100 years ago with all the cool railroads and factories here. Even then you A-holes would have to boat across the river. You Homo Sapiens think you're soooo cool with your 2 legs, disposable thumbs and hair on your heads (most of you anyway). Give me the good old days when all I had to worry about was getting eaten, not stepped on. That's just me anyways. I know I'm generalizing.

PBW, I love you. Will you marry me or will the fact you are a newt and I am a bearded women be an issue? Will society accept us or will we be boxed in as just another yuppie bearded woman and Geico newt couple in downtown JC?

I find you both funny but it's a Geico Gecko!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:37
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Love this, but it's opposable thumbs.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:17
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
The OP is obviously a troll and posted with the intent of starting an arguement.

crushthewhateveryournameis- Do you post anything other than bashes against so called yuppies/hipsters/people that make more money than you? I just want to know because all you seem to do is bitch and moan about how much you hate Hoboken and people that YOU feel represent Hoboken. Your SH!T is tired... get a new story. The rest of us are tired of listening to you bitch. You make broad generalizations about people based on their appearance. You are no better than the people that your are bashing.

I'm sure your going to call me out now and blah blah blah I could care less Mr. Internet Tough Guy. I'm going to have some red wine, eat a nice steak with my blonde blue eyed girl and do some yoga in my condo's new fitness center. Why don't you put that in your pipe and smoke it.

By the way I'm from Getty Square in Yonkers and the Bronx if you want to see my ghetto pass.

Flame away.... signing off for the night.. got to go and do some yuppie things.

WOW, better than bottling it up I suppose? Not sure why you think im "ghetto" or even better a "tough guy", couldnt be further from either of those. I simply like to express my opinion when I feel necessary, its a public forum I can do that. If you really dont like my opinion because it goes against yours any apparently many others on this board then simply scroll over my posts. Man if I could reach through the computer I'd give you a no homo hug my friend. P.S. what cut of steak is it?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
A city is shaped by its residents. If chain stores come in, yuppies move in and JC is becoming similar to Hoboken, that is because the area is already being shaped by people like that. Cities can no longer be defined by it's original local scene or businesses for that matter. To think that JC can be sustained without big box retailers and only by small businesses is to be slightly naive.

Manhattan is not the same as it was even 5 years ago, but there are still things that remain true about Manhattan. The same will be true for Hoboken and for Jersey City. There will always be the essence of the city as it originally was.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The OP is obviously a troll and posted with the intent of starting an arguement.

crushthewhateveryournameis- Do you post anything other than bashes against so called yuppies/hipsters/people that make more money than you? I just want to know because all you seem to do is bitch and moan about how much you hate Hoboken and people that YOU feel represent Hoboken. Your SH!T is tired... get a new story. The rest of us are tired of listening to you bitch. You make broad generalizations about people based on their appearance. You are no better than the people that your are bashing.

I'm sure your going to call me out now and blah blah blah I could care less Mr. Internet Tough Guy. I'm going to have some red wine, eat a nice steak with my blonde blue eyed girl and do some yoga in my condo's new fitness center. Why don't you put that in your pipe and smoke it.

By the way I'm from Getty Square in Yonkers and the Bronx if you want to see my ghetto pass.

Flame away.... signing off for the night.. got to go and do some yuppie things.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I think one thing the OP was objecting to was the chance that downtown JC could turn into an urban version of a mall--sort of like Hoboken. Mediocre restaurants, big box stores, etc... no decent bookstores no decent music venues, no art galleries. Sure, right now there's still an artist community, but for how long? And maybe the OP fears that the people who he observes are likely to attract bars, designer boutiques, and big box stores and likely to drive up property values to the point where artists and blue collar people are priced out. That, along with government preference for the development of condos over the development of community services, could lead to a cold, stale downtown and a city that has two groups: upper middle class professionals and poor people.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
...Nobody is an individual in the purest sense, but I see a lot of people coming to JC who have adopted seemingly identical lifestyles and the predictable desires that go with it. I'd have to be unaware of my surroundings not to notice that something stinks about it, and I don't buy into the attitude that it has to boil down to a choice between a violent, drug-addicted, homeless pedophile car thief pissing in my vestibule and American Outfitters.

But don't the other groups or classes (for lack of a better term) share similar characteristics? Don't birds of a feather flock together?

Let me exaggerate (but not by much) to prove a point: All emo kids look alike to me. All hipsters look alike to me. All drunks on Newark look alike to me. And yes, people of the same interests/desires of mine look sorta like me, if I'm being totally objective.

Just because the style of this apparent emerging downtown class is not appealing to you doesn't make it wrong or make it "stink." It's when you start assigning general negative attitudes about those groups simply because they share different trends and desires than your own that you start to stink.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Nobody is an individual in the purest sense, but I see a lot of people coming to JC who have adopted seemingly identical lifestyles and the predictable desires that go with it. I'd have to be unaware of my surroundings not to notice that something stinks about it, and I don't buy into the attitude that it has to boil down to a choice between a violent, drug-addicted, homeless pedophile car thief pissing in my vestibule and American Outfitters.

+100 Frank, my thoughts exactly.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I have lived here for 1,168 days.

I am getting such a headache trying to figure out what category I fit in so JC98 can feel good about their boxed-in generalizations on everyone. Damn, there isn't one. But on any given day I walk down Newark you can bet someone is going to try hard to box me in to something because of how I look just to make themselves feel more secure about their own place in the world and how they look. I sometimes forget that happens but then JC98's pop up.

You can easily argue on grounds that negative generalizations of others is nearsighted, because well... it usually is. However, it seems the growing lifestyle trends of white-collar urban neighborhoods aren't far removed from the plastering of formerly rural areas with strip malls, national chain stores, and cookie-cutter housing developments. Again, there are significant numbers of people who approve and enjoy those trends, but there's more to it than that. It's not so much about categorizing people for its own sake, rather it's the trend of people allowing themselves to be categorized by marketeers and sold a bag of goods consisting of sophisticated products and attractive images.

Nobody is an individual in the purest sense, but I see a lot of people coming to JC who have adopted seemingly identical lifestyles and the predictable desires that go with it. I'd have to be unaware of my surroundings not to notice that something stinks about it, and I don't buy into the attitude that it has to boil down to a choice between a violent, drug-addicted, homeless pedophile car thief pissing in my vestibule and American Outfitters.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I have lived here for 1,168 days.

I am getting such a headache trying to figure out what category I fit in so JC98 can feel good about their boxed-in generalizations on everyone. Damn, there isn't one. But on any given day I walk down Newark you can bet someone is going to try hard to box me in to something because of how I look just to make themselves feel more secure about their own place in the world and how they look. I sometimes forget that happens but then JC98's pop up.

Oh, wait! I could grow an ironic beard but then again, I am a woman and wouldn't that make JC98 even more uncomfortable? Afterall, change is so scary. I wish everything would stay the exact same forever. I wish I couldn't vote because of my sex and skin color. Man, those were the days.

I am so happy JC98 reminded me why I rarely post anymore. Yah! Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
1998!?

i can still remember walking home from st. doms back then being asked to "run my pockets." i'll take the safer streets and newcomers (yuppies and hipsters if you may) any day over the old trash that once sat on my street corner selling drugs, pissing in peoples alleyways or between cars, and waiting to steal my bike or "jump" my friends on the way home from school.

most of my childhood friends have left because their parents took them to the suburbs to grow up. my dad was on the jcpd so we stayed. i'm glad we did as i would not be the person i am if we had picked up and moved away. i like jersey city, i just know what areas to stay away from when the sun goes down.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 5:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, the whole "I'm an old timer so what I say matters more" bullshit is pretty tired. It is extra funny to read it from someone who moved here 11 years ago from Europe. Many of the real old timers have done quite well by the increase in property value downtown if they were committed enough to buy rather than rent and bitch when things got better (and, duh, when things get better rents go up). The reason that people respond to posts like this with, "move to one of the many remaining gritty neighborhoods" is that it points out the hypocrisy of claiming to want things to be the way they were without enduring how they actually were.

To the OP - what is your solution to not liking your new neighbors?

Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Yep, that's it exactly: the smug I-was-here-first attitude that so often shows up on JC List.

BTW, being here 11 years doesn't make you a long-timer. I also moved here in '98 and I'm happy with the neighborhood improvements.

No, the Hard Grove isn't what it was. I guess that's white people's fault.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

UGH, progress is so totally annoying!

a wee bit dramatic, no? the city has a long way to go before that happens -- and it won't. there are still plenty of areas in JC for people lamenting that long lost era. or there is newark or camden. or paterson.

Why am I starting to love you so hard...

Posted on: 2009/11/11 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's a little too easy to overgeneralize and say that the working class who lived here were preoccupied buying big screens and cars as opposed to homes/condos. It feels like something more or less heard or read rather than an actual first-hand account or observation. First, there wasn't necessarily desirable inventory for them to purchase (landlords holding onto their buildings); second, perhaps they didn't make as much as money as those of us here who are fortunate to have the wherewithal and creditworthiness to purchase something. I understand some of us may feel slighted as somehow being perceived as interloping profiteers and that we're exacerbating downtown JC's transition to some upwardly mobile enclave (full disclosure, I am all for better retail/new urbanism, open space, better roads, safer streets), but I can also completely understand those who are somewhat resentful and feel they've either been displaced or don't feel apart of the downtown fabric or milieu.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Not in the slightest bit dramatic why would you say that my post is dramatic? Its the truth, im just saying I see very little difference between Downtown JC and Hoboken now.

Hey, you want to know something different? They just elected a mayor & government that isn't in the pocket of unions and developers, because yuppie scum actually outvoted the "born & raised" drones who have let the corrupt machine run both Hoboken and JC into the ground. It did help that their mayor was arrested for not being as cagey as ours about how he took his payoffs.

If it wasn't for gentrifyers both towns would have continued their crumble to dust, because the home values were so low nothing was worth fixing, "just let it buuuurn."

"Boo hoo, those yuppies built a new house in that empty drug dealer filled lot and renovated that rotting out shell. THEY SUCK! How dare they drive up rents because I wanted to buy a new car and a big screen instead of a buying my home"

12 years ago you could have bought an apartment downtown for $40k, entire multifamilies were under $200k . The many working class people who had bought their homes here then & previously are definitely NOT boo-hooing Downtown's rebirth. They've gotten a real piece of the American dream, not to mention safer streets.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I think there is a huge difference between Hoboken and Downtown JC. Just look at Washington Street in Hoboken around midnight on a Saturday and compare it to Downtown JC at the same time. No comparison. The DJC demographic is a bit older and more settled in their careers and family lives. I'm sure there are more married people here. I've always gotten the vibe that DJC is where some of the Hoboken crew moves when they grow up a little. There's no Bahama Mamas or Black Bear here.

Seriously, what parts of downtown look anything like Hoboken or Manhattan? Maybe you spotted a few hipsters on their laptops at Starbucks at Grove Pointe and decided that the apocalypse had begun?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Not in the slightest bit dramatic why would you say that my post is dramatic? Its the truth, im just saying I see very little difference between Downtown JC and Hoboken now.

Hey, you want to know something different? They just elected a mayor & government that isn't in the pocket of unions and developers, because yuppie scum actually outvoted the "born & raised" drones who have let the corrupt machine run both Hoboken and JC into the ground. It did help that their mayor was arrested for not being as cagey as ours about how he took his payoffs.

If it wasn't for gentrifyers both towns would have continued their crumble to dust, because the home values were so low nothing was worth fixing, "just let it buuuurn."

"Boo hoo, those yuppies built a new house in that empty drug dealer filled lot and renovated that rotting out shell. THEY SUCK! How dare they drive up rents because I wanted to buy a new car and a big screen instead of a buying my home"

12 years ago you could have bought an apartment downtown for $40k, entire multifamilies were under $200k . The many working class people who had bought their homes here then & previously are definitely NOT boo-hooing Downtown's rebirth. They've gotten a real piece of the American dream, not to mention safer streets.

Save it, blah blah blah yuppies are Gods they saved the city blah blah blah everyone prior to them downtown would rather have bling and bmw's then buy/maintain property. They saw an opportunity to make a buck when NYC magazine told them it was safe enough, cant say I blame em for that, but dont make them out to be some kind of saving grace for JC. If they are such miracle workers then send them to the south bronx or east new york to work there so called magic. Oh wait its still scary there, thats ok NYC magazine will tell them when its safe. Believe me I agree tehre were alot of slum lords and people that took 0 pride in their community but this whole Yuppies did so much for the city is nonsense.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/11 3:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
...Its the truth, im just saying I see very little difference between Downtown JC and Hoboken now.

Really?

I think that Downtown JC is much better than Hoboken:

The Grove PATH subway station has two train lines!

Downtown JC is laid out better, it's not just one main drag like Hoboken's Washington Street -- Downtown JC's amenities are more spread out around the whole square mile of Downtown -- also we have all those other areas with good cheap eats - like Journal Square and the Heights.

Also Downtown JC doesn't have all those undergraduate Stevens' students - it is an older crowd living here with more artists and musicians.

JC also has Liberty State Park - and a hell of a lot more Wall Street offices that bring in workers which in turn help to support our stores and restaurants.

Not to mention that it's got much better access to the turnpike.

I welcome that so many people are now choosing to move over here from Manhattan and Brooklyn.

No doubt, I agree 100% with you. Im not saying the setup of JC is like Hoboken im saying the people moving downtown are looking just like the type I see in Hoboken. Im not say thats everybody downtown im just saying over the past 3 or 4 years I've seen the area go the route of Hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: <-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one.
Hard to believe what almost 15 years and a few Yuppies can do to a housing market. You can still cop a good deal in decent parts of this city, I guess perception is half the game. What is "in" today is so yesterday tomorrow.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
...Its the truth, im just saying I see very little difference between Downtown JC and Hoboken now.

Really?

I think that Downtown JC is much better than Hoboken:

The Grove PATH subway station has two train lines!

Downtown JC is laid out better, it's not just one main drag like Hoboken's Washington Street -- Downtown JC's amenities are more spread out around the whole square mile of Downtown -- also we have all those other areas with good cheap eats - like Journal Square and the Heights.

Also Downtown JC doesn't have all those undergraduate Stevens' students - it is an older crowd living here with more artists and musicians.

JC also has Liberty State Park - and a hell of a lot more Wall Street offices that bring in workers which in turn help to support our stores and restaurants.

Not to mention that it's got much better access to the turnpike.

I welcome that so many people are now choosing to move over here from Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
other things to hate: running water, electricity, equal rights, cancer research, airplanes, microwave popcorn, Tivo...

Ehh I wouldnt call building a bunch of ugly condos and filling them with Manhattan run off(not to be confused with pie run off) progress. All that ever does is push long time residents , renters too! away from JC to make way for you know what. Now we are left with a continuation of Hoboken, wonderful.

a wee bit dramatic, no? the city has a long way to go before that happens -- and it won't. there are still plenty of areas in JC for people lamenting that long lost era. or there is newark or camden. or paterson.

life is full of options.

and what's with all the manhattan "run off" hate? would you actually live here if manhattan were not across the river?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
other things to hate: running water, electricity, equal rights, cancer research, airplanes, microwave popcorn, Tivo...

Ehh I wouldnt call building a bunch of ugly condos and filling them with Manhattan run off(not to be confused with pie run off) progress. All that ever does is push long time residents , renters too! away from JC to make way for you know what. Now we are left with a continuation of Hoboken, wonderful.

life is full of options.

and what's with all the manhattan "run off" hate? would you actually live here if manhattan were not across the river?

Posted on: 2009/11/11 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Posted on: 2009/11/11 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/11/11 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I don't get this thread - if you hate how wealthy Downtown has become why not just move to the Heights or Journal Square? We like both these areas.

If you miss the old Hard Grove then go try a cuban sandwich (or better some Chicken stew with beans and rice for $4) at Rumba's on Central Ave -- if that's not real enough then there is always Newark's Ironbound -- it is still on the same PATH train to Manhattan.

I feel for you -- we got priced out of Williamsburg -- but things really do change -- at least real estate prices are pretty low now!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Crazy_Chester wrote: Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: <-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one. Quote:
kitten wrote: OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.
You might still be able to get it for $250k.
lol, I wish.....

Posted on: 2009/11/10 23:59

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017