Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CCTV installation downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Althea--

I think the cameras are a great idea and am glad to finally see them come downtown.

Any chance of getting a camera on Wayne near the playground there? That plus a bright motion-detecting light at night might help solve the persistent crime problem in that location.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The funding for the cameras actually come from a different source than the salary for the police officers so you are talking apples and oranges here. However, they do have a deep financial impact on us as tax payers since it cuts down greatly on the time prosecuting criminals in the court system when faced with overwhelming evidence.

In addition, the cameras aide the police officers in capturing criminals on chases, etc. They work in conjunction with not separately from police enforcement. They capture a tremendous amount on those cameras which have been serving the City for years now. These are merely the new ones to go up in the downtown area.

However, considering all the political promotions that come with the hefty burden of pensions and a lack of a decent police force on the street, i'm quite shocked that people are upset at the costs of cameras not coming out of the municipal budget.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 13:18
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Thanks for the list of cameras, now I know where not to go if I don't want to be seen on camera.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 20:14
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Seriously. For $4M you could put a cop at each of those locations around the clock 24/7/365 for 5 years.

I realize you were likely being facetious, but a couple of points to consider:

- the camera sites listed are only for downtown. The $4 million program covers the entire city, so there will be many, many more cameras than those mentioned in the newsletter.

- The cost of the average police officer with full benefits is ~ $100,000 per year. So for 5 years, you'd spend $1.5 million per site (three officers each working 8-hour shifts - without taking one day off over the entire five years.)

You could cover 2.7 spots for five years with police officers as - opposed to cameras that have an upfront cost of less than $1,000 apiece and remain in perpetuity.

- Cameras don't chat on cell phones, need to go to the bathroom or get hungry either. Cameras didn't grow up with other cameras and look the other way if something happens. When a camera is old and no longer effective, you don't have to sustain it for another thirty years at roughly the same cost as when it was working.

I think we absolutely need more police officers; they do a heck of a job. This shouldn't preclude additional hiring - I think the funds for the cameras were part of a grant.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, I've been almost run over many times crossing Newark at Brunswick - even the NJTransit buses all run the light when they come down the hill. It is impossible not to see someone running that light almost every time - all day and all night - an older woman was killed on this stretch of road not very long ago - while they are at it maybe they can also catch some of the idiot drunks who double park at Binny's Liquors on the corner - I love that they crank up their car radios so they can hear it inside the store -- by the way do the cameras have microphones?

Quote:

jaah37 wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
> I can't tell you how many times I see people run the
> red light on the corner of 4th and Newark/Brunswick
> late at night. I have seen people actually stop at the
> light and then run it when they feel no one is watching.

Does this really matter? If the car has stopped and can see nobody is coming, why not go? Traffic lights are important at busy times, or where you cannot see approaching traffic. But at a quiet time of day or night, where you can see the other way, it can be safe, depending on the specifics of the individual juntion.

Robin.

Of course it matters...it's the law! You can't select when and where the law applies to you. Once you set this type of selective thinking in motion others will think in these terms and we all know not everyone has the best judgement. So laws should be obeyed across the board without special exception like...oh it was late and no cars were coming so I ran the red light on Newark and Brunswick.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:

Does this really matter? If the car has stopped and can see nobody is coming, why not go? Traffic lights are important at busy times, or where you cannot see approaching traffic. But at a quiet time of day or night, where you can see the other way, it can be safe, depending on the specifics of the individual juntion.

Robin.

Of course it matters...it's the law! You can't select when and where the law applies to you. Once you set this type of selective thinking in motion others will think in these terms and we all know not everyone has the best judgement. So laws should be obeyed across the board without special exception like...oh it was late and no cars were coming so I ran the red light on Newark and Brunswick.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
I think CCTV cameras are a good idea. I can't tell you how many times I see people run the red light on the corner of 4th and Newark/Brunswick late at night. I have seen people actually stop at the light and then run it when they feel no one is watching. My concern is will the police actually use the video taken from the cameras to enforce late night light runners or will the cameras just be used as a visual detterent...never really monitored only in the case of an accident. Alot of JC drivers late at night tend to be sneaks or reckless with their driving. I understand the point others have made about using that money for more cops but in reality JC won't make that happen. We def. need more cops though!!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 13:45

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/10 17:50
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, I am new to JC List... lived here 4 years outta BKLYN.

CCTV is a sign of the times. It is an excellent way to deter crime and prosecute after something has been committed. I support the Police no matter how imperfect they may be but fighting crime should be a multi-faceted approach leveraging technology. The electronic eye never blinks, is not prone to corruption or subjective interpretation...as some would say of the Police.

The important thing is to make sure that we get the most bang for the buck on these things...I hope the bidding, procurement and installation is a transparent process with regards to cost. I noticed that the work on the new sidewalks and streets on Newark has had chronic mistakes that must be costing $$$.

As for big bro...I think we need to find a balance. My experience in JC has been unacceptable levels of crime from chronic drug dealing, assaults, robberies, etc... If the police can't solve the problem on their own then they need to get new tools.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Seriously.

For $4M you could put a cop at each of those locations around the clock 24/7/365 for 5 years.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
How many police officers could have been hired instead for the almost $4 million wasted on these cameras? Did anyone even do any research to see how effective these are in other cities?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/22/cc ... tive-as-previously-hoped/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/06/ukcrime1

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/ar ... 0-of-crime-unsolved.do#at

Thanks for nothing, Fulop.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 16:34

CCTV installation downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
From Steve Fulop's quarterly update:

CCTVs: Back in April we announced the origination of the final phase to spend $3.9 million for new street-facing security cameras. We are happy to announce that the City Council has passed a resolution accepting the money, and the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation (JCEDC) has been approved to run the project. The JCEDC's engineering firm is in the process of completing the design of Phase III. It will be a combination of hard wire fiber and wireless. The design should be complete within 3 to 4 weeks, at which time the project goes out to bid and a vendor chosen.

The project is estimated to begin by February and be complete in early summer.

* Here are the locations for cameras to be placed in Ward E.
* Grand Street at Jersey Ave., Monmouth St., Barrow St. (288-294 Grand), & Old Colony Lot.
* Grove Street at Grand St., Bay St., First St., York St., Montgomery St., Mercer St., & Christopher Columbus Dr.
* Jersey Avenue at Wayne St., Christopher Columbus Dr., & Montgomery St.
* Marin Drive at Christopher Columbus Dr., Montgomery St., & Grand St.
* Montgomery Street at Baldwin Ave., Florence St., Center St., and 358-370 (JC Museum).
* Newark Avenue at Grove St., Erie St., Bay St., Jersey Ave., Coles St., Monmouth St., & Brunswick St.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 15:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017