Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Tax Assesment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
Please take the City to Court, and let us know how it works out. I plan on appealing my issue as I am near 11k, and the average of my 9 nearest neighbors is close to 9k.

Just so anyone with a property tax issue knows, you generally need to appeal to the county tax board first before going to the state Tax Court. You can only skip the county tax board appeal and go straight to Tax Court if the total "alleged" value of your property - original and added assessment - is over $ 750,000. If you are unsuccessful at the county tax board, then you can go on to state Tax Court.

Posted on: 2009/10/17 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
Please take the City to Court, and let us know how it works out. I plan on appealing my issue as I am near 11k, and the average of my 9 nearest neighbors is close to 9k.

Posted on: 2009/10/17 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

THL wrote:
We recently received a notice from the Jersey City Office of the City Assessor stating that they had increased the value of our home by $25K. We were also retroactively billed to back in 2008.

When I called to find out why they said it was because we had pulled a permit in 2008. I said yes, we needed to get our roof fixed it had begun to leak. I was informed that this increased the value of our home.

My response was, "This was not a capital improvement but a general maintenance issue. Had we not repaired it the value of our home would substantially decreased. This was done to maintain it's current value. Additionally we were only charged $6K for the repairs and most of that cost was labor so what is the 25K assessment based upon?"

The blunt response I got was, " That's not true but, if you want you can't try and appeal it." I'm not sure what wasn't true but I could tell that the person had no interest in explaining themselves further.

Of course we are going to attempt to appeal this assessment but, I do have some questions so I'm not walking into this situation blind.

-Is it allowable for them to re-assess you for general maintenance issues?
-Are there any laws/codes that define this?
- Is there a difference between General Maintenance and Capital Improvement?
-Has anyone else gone through this process?
-Should we get representation?

I really appreciate any recommendations that you all can provide. THANKS!

I would go this website - www.njactb.org. It is the New Jersey Association of County Tax Boards. There you will find information, forms and links to the various county tax board website, although the link for Hudson County's tax board just takes you to the Hudson County website and it doesn't appear they have such a website for their tax board. Also, this link takes you to the standard state forms related to property tax appeals:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/prntlpt.shtml

New Jersey property tax law should have established a difference between general maintenance and capital improvement. Rutgers Law School has an online library where you can look up the law:

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/links/new_jersey/index.shtml

Many people that are appealing property tax assessments that are not particularly large do so without representation. Often, smaller residential property tax appeals are done on paper and without a formal hearing.

Posted on: 2009/10/16 0:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/5 20:35
Group:
Registered Users
That's great info. Thanks!

it was the contractor. Very professional guy super quality work. He pulled the permits. Said they were required by law.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Instead of all this penny-ante nonsense where Jersey City looks to people's roof repairs for money, there should be a comple reassessment of all properties to MARKET VALUE.
It should be mandatory every 10 years.

When it comes to taxes there is no substitute for FAIRNESS.

Posted on: 2009/10/15 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The big question is did you actually need that permit? Who told you so, certainly not the contractor. I've yet to meet one that would prefer pulling a permit to pulling out a tooth.

I had the roof of my house re-done and the contractor wouldn't do it without permits. I pulled the permits myself.

Somebody must have struck the fear of God into him. I had the roof of my 3 car garage done without permits, and that was in clear sight of the street AND with a neighbor who drops a dime on me whenever he/she thinks I'm doing un-permitted work.

But the whole permit thing is wacky. I've been told by an inspector that even to hang a wall cabinet where there had never been one before requires a permit. Any time you break the trap seal on the plumbing needs one. The list goes on...

Posted on: 2009/10/15 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

The big question is did you actually need that permit? Who told you so, certainly not the contractor. I've yet to meet one that would prefer pulling a permit to pulling out a tooth.

I had the roof of my house re-done and the contractor wouldn't do it without permits. I pulled the permits myself.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

THL wrote:
Additionally we were only charged $6K for the repairs and most of that cost was labor so what is the 25K assessment based upon?"
THANKS!

Is it possible that the contractor just arbitrarily threw out that $25K number when he pulled the permit or was the $6K price for the job set and agreed upon before starting?

Posted on: 2009/10/14 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

THL wrote:

it seems that they routinely reassess properties after pulling permits. it is your responsibility to prove that the permits were for maintenance and not for improvements, which is not always clear or easy to do. the rule that activities that consist of maintenance are to keep the property habitable often collides with the rule that activities considered improvements increase the value of the property. hiring an attorney for reassessment would probably cost you 2k, and even that would not guarantee that your assessments, hence your taxes, are reduced.

i hate to say this, but you are probably better off taking the hit of the 25k assessment charge ...

Posted on: 2009/10/14 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've NEVER been able to fathom the voodoo of repair vs improvement. Of course any repair increases the value of the property! I've read what the IRS has to say, and it doesn't clarify anything. It seems to be subjective, whatever the authority says is improvement, IS improvement. The roof is a classic example, it's neither decorative nor optional, yet they'll try to say a new roof is an improvement. I say it's hooey.

Here's what the IRS says:
"Repairs versus improvements. A repair keeps your home in an ordinary, efficient operating condition. It does not add to the value of your home or prolong its life. Repairs include repainting your home inside or outside, fixing your gutters or floors, fixing leaks or plastering, and replacing broken window panes. You cannot deduct repair costs and generally cannot add them to the basis of your home.

However, repairs that are done as part of an extensive remodeling or restoration of your home are considered improvements. You add them to the basis of your home."

By that definition, your roof has been repaired. Here's a page with more than you need to know, but which (of course) doesn't give you a clear answer either.
http://accountant.intuit.com/practice ... ?file=tmdd_capitalization
The part I find most interesting is the calculation of a deductable "repair allowance" regardless of the actual details.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I always thought that windows and other facade improvements and roofs were not assessment-triggering improvements.

Patching your roof requires a permit? Never had it done but makes little sense that fixing a leaky roof would trigger a reassessment.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
First I would get a copy of the ordinance on this. However, I believe you are correct. The problem is- all properties are under assessed but not under taxed. I don't believe you would win in court. I would contact the mayor's office. The city is desperate for money. Contact the city clerk office for a copy of any ordinance on assessments.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 17:18

Tax Assesment

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/5 20:35
Group:
Registered Users
We recently received a notice from the Jersey City Office of the City Assessor stating that they had increased the value of our home by $25K. We were also retroactively billed to back in 2008.

When I called to find out why they said it was because we had pulled a permit in 2008. I said yes, we needed to get our roof fixed it had begun to leak. I was informed that this increased the value of our home.

My response was, "This was not a capital improvement but a general maintenance issue. Had we not repaired it the value of our home would substantially decreased. This was done to maintain it's current value. Additionally we were only charged $6K for the repairs and most of that cost was labor so what is the 25K assessment based upon?"

The blunt response I got was, " That's not true but, if you want you can't try and appeal it." I'm not sure what wasn't true but I could tell that the person had no interest in explaining themselves further.

Of course we are going to attempt to appeal this assessment but, I do have some questions so I'm not walking into this situation blind.

I really appreciate any recommendations that you all can provide. THANKS!

Posted on: 2009/10/14 16:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017