Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Healy endorses second-generation crony for vacant council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Healy endorses aide for council seat
By Matt Friedman, PolitickerNJ.com Reporter

Jersey City mayoral aide David Donnelly has Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s support to succeed Phil Kenny on the Jersey City council, according to Dominick Pandolfo, the mayor?s chief of staff.

Kenny, who had been in office for about six months, resigned Wednesday ? one day after pleading guilty to taking bribes from a federal informant who posed as a crooked developer.

Donnelly?s mother, Mary, held the council seat until 2005.

?The mayor has asked [Donnelly] to consider running,? said Pandolfo, who added that Donnelly agreed to do it. ?He?s ready to serve his ward like his mother did.?

Although it?s up to the council to pick Kenny?s replacement, seven of its eight remaining members are Healy allies.

?It?s strictly the council?s decision. The mayor is simply makin a recommendation to the council,? said Pandolfo.

Donnelly, who is currently a special assistant to healy, has worked for a host of New Jersey politicians, including Edison Mayor Jun Choi, U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone (D-Long Branch) and former Hudson County Executive Robert Janiszewski. He is about to receive a master?s degree in urban policy and management from The New School.

Matt Friedman is a PolitickerNJ.com Reporter and can be reached via email at matt@politicsnj.com.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 17:51

Re: Healy endorses second-generation crony for vacant council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Wow, nice hatchet job headline.

First off, Donnelly's mother was such a "crony" that she wasn't invited on Healy's ticket, replaced by actual uber-second-generation crony Mary Spinello. Who sold out her ward to the high-cube warehouse developer.

My experience with Mary was that she was an accessible, responsive councilwoman. She specifically addressed crime issues on our block and her assistance was invaluable. What was your experience with her, T-Bird?

Or for that matter, what has been your experience with David?

Posted on: 2009/10/9 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
At this point and with all the corruption, along with Lopez, how can you trust Healy's judgment.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I have mine as well. JC List is full of opinions - kind of the point of a message board.

Have a great weekend.

Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Or for that matter, what has been your experience with David?

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
At this point and with all the corruption, along with Lopez, how can you trust Healy's judgment.

I know it's not the same thing, but Healy endorsed Obama, too.

A stopped clock can be right twice a day. I don't like that David Donnelly has been working as a part of Healy's administration, but that doesn't mean I think David Donnelly wouldn't be an honest, hard-working councilperson.

Apologies for the double negatives.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
i agree.
not every SINGLE person that is associated w/ healy is a crook. give me a break

at least the guy has an education, and if his mom was great (going on iwitness testimony) perhaps he was raised right, and can rise above all the BS over there in city hall. lord knows we need someone good.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
But would a serious, smart, honest guy with an education and future welcome an endorsement from Healy?

I would think he'd want to keep some distance.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Binky wrote:
But would a serious, smart, honest guy with an education and future welcome an endorsement from Healy?

I would think he'd want to keep some distance.

I think that's exactly the challenge. How do you work within the existing system yet still try to change it. It's politics. It's relationships and favors and "respect" and playing the game.

Anyone who can leverage the good and bad of a relationship (like one with Healy) to impact change has the potential to get us out of this mess.

And anyone who continually dismisses Healy out of hand is simply contributing to the problem. He is still the mayor and it doesn't look like that is going to change in the immediate future.

Play the game.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 13:07
Group:
Registered Users
Having been a rival candidate against Team Healy in 2009, I neither reflexively support nor oppose what the mayor might advocate. But my political & philosophical differences are starkly clear, and part of the editorial record.

That said, in my direct experience, David Donnelly is competent, committed, and earnest. Perfect? No. A bit young and deferential, maybe, at least in public. But qualified and knowledgeable? Yes.

The administration that Mr. Donnelly serves may have egregious faults -- and his mother was herself a one-term Council member, 2001-2005 -- but affiliations and lineage do not outright erase a man's merits.

In recent years, I've attended numerous community meetings where Mr. Donnelly did, too, as the mayor's representative. In those settings, Mr. Donnelly comes across as a solid public servant. [How thorough his follow-through, I do not know.]

As for Mayor Healy's press release "nomination," I hold deep unease. [He likewise recommended the now-guilty Phil Kenny for the same seat twice this year.] The prospect of Ward B having no (publicly) elected representation for more than another year, that's just rude and wrong.

Maybe Mr. Donnelly has the resolute moral character I perceive, and will thank the mayor, but decline. One can only hope...

In the blood sport of Hudson County politics (and JCList), criticism is de rigueur. But given my first-hand experience with Mr. Donnelly, I felt it incumbent to pen these observations.

Of course, whenever the special election finally happens (November '10?), here's hoping that Ward B residents have top-quality candidates -- an everlasting shout-out to my '09 running-mate, the wise Douglas Salters -- and then choose prudently.

ANDREW HUBSCH

Posted on: 2009/10/9 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Fact:
Former Councilwoman Mary Donnelly worked very hard for her ward. It was sad to see her leave the Council. I will always appreciate and respect her hard work, honesty and kudos for raising 3 children to be hardworking, honest citizens.

Fact:
Between now and the time we retire there will be many different Mayors for Jersey City and that will never change the way David, myself and many others will work and serve this city.

Fact:
David Donnelly is working in the Administrative side of government. Bringing David back was a smart move on the current administrations part and I wish we had dozens more like him. David is a fine example of what is good in government and Jersey City is lucky to have him. He is one of those examples of what we should expect from all employees in private and public sector.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Word on the street is that he resides Downtown.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
You can't be serious.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I do not see this as about David Donnelly or his mother's performance as councilwoman.

I see this as about business as usual and not responding to the crises in our government.

The situations does not call for yet another political insider to be pushed on the public as if our political "elite" owns the city.

If appointed as interim Ward B councilperson, he would need to resign from the mayor's staff. What happens? Is he then given a county job?

I believe that we need our city leadership to make clear that what Phil Kenny did was not a mistake, but WRONG and take steps to move our city in a positive direction.

If David Donnelly is all that we hope he would be, he will TURN DOWN this appointment and if interested in serving Ward B, run in the special election in November 2010.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 2:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Well said.

Quote:

DanL wrote:
I do not see this as about David Donnelly or his mother's performance as councilwoman.

I see this as about business as usual and not responding to the crises in our government.

The situations does not call for yet another political insider to be pushed on the public as if our political "elite" owns the city.

If appointed as interim Ward B councilperson, he would need to resign from the mayor's staff. What happens? Is he then given a county job?

I believe that we need our city leadership to make clear that what Phil Kenny did was not a mistake, but WRONG and take steps to move our city in a positive direction.

If David Donnelly is all that we hope he would be, he will TURN DOWN this appointment and if interested in serving Ward B, run in the special election in November 2010.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AndrewH wrote:
Having been a rival candidate against Team Healy in 2009, I neither reflexively support nor oppose what the mayor might advocate. But my political & philosophical differences are starkly clear, and part of the editorial record.

That said, in my direct experience, David Donnelly is competent, committed, and earnest. Perfect? No. A bit young and deferential, maybe, at least in public. But qualified and knowledgeable? Yes.

The administration that Mr. Donnelly serves may have egregious faults -- and his mother was herself a one-term Council member, 2001-2005 -- but affiliations and lineage do not outright erase a man's merits.

In recent years, I've attended numerous community meetings where Mr. Donnelly did, too, as the mayor's representative. In those settings, Mr. Donnelly comes across as a solid public servant. [How thorough his follow-through, I do not know.]

As for Mayor Healy's press release "nomination," I hold deep unease. [He likewise recommended the now-guilty Phil Kenny for the same seat twice this year.] The prospect of Ward B having no (publicly) elected representation for more than another year, that's just rude and wrong.

Maybe Mr. Donnelly has the resolute moral character I perceive, and will thank the mayor, but decline. One can only hope...

In the blood sport of Hudson County politics (and JCList), criticism is de rigueur. But given my first-hand experience with Mr. Donnelly, I felt it incumbent to pen these observations.

Of course, whenever the special election finally happens (November '10?), here's hoping that Ward B residents have top-quality candidates --edit******sorry

ANDREW HUBSCH

+1 Well said.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 12:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/27 21:40
From city hall
Group:
Registered Users
Could they not at least tried to look for someone among the many community groups in ward B.

Donally went to work for Jun Choi in Edison but was let go,Why?
David thought he was going to be Chief of staff and Choi thought he was getting a seasoned political operative from Hudson county,
both were disappointed.

Anybody wanna bet how long it takes for him to get a county Job?

Healy check list for a loyal person in council seat:White/Irish/Goes out drinking with us/Does what we say. He's a lock.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Call him what he is-A Healy tool. A bag of blood to do what the corrupt Healymachine says. No more; potentially much less.

Does anyone think all of the folks that took bribes to put in Healy's "campaign" fund did so for some altruistic reason without Healy's direction and complicity.

It's an absolute travesty that he and his minions are able to continue to in office; and now he's bringing in another idiot.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DanL wrote:

And in the interim, until the special election in Nov. 2010, who should represent the residents of Ward B? Or should the Ward go unrepresented for 13 months?

Given the current make up of the Council, of course any appointment will be from the Healy camp, or at least camp Healy approved. If the options are another empty suit like Spinello, or a committed, hard-working, responsive guy like David Donnelly, I'll choose the latter.

Or does the prospect of a dedicated, strong Council member in Ward B work contrary to the 'reform' movement's goal to paint only with broad brushes and characterize every person (with one notable exception) in our government as unqualified and on the take?

I find the two very different posts from two of the 2009 OneJC candidates in this thread very enlightening.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 16:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 13:07
Group:
Registered Users
To be clear, I volunteered my firsthand observations -- of Mr. Donnelly's generally commendable performance as an aide to the mayor's office -- to amend any echo-chamber posts, since the tone was devolving into hearsay and associative quasi-guilt-by-relation.

Of course, Mr. Donnelly's head-and-shoulders-above-the-crowd competency might (sadly) reflect the pedestrian quality of Mayor Healy's self-selected administrative team. The one-eyed man being king in the land of the blind, or some such proverb.

All that said, Mr. Donnelly's relative, real-world merits (or potential demerits) are not the issue. [If/when he might ever run for office, then it's all germane.]

The key problem is -- yet again -- our mayor's insular, closeted determinations, and how his pronouncements tend to be rubber-stamped by a pliant Municipal Council. Seemingly, the best available candidate for whatever the City Hall opening, in Mayor Healy's worldview, is the political insider already on his staff. Amazing, how deep the mayor views his own bench. "Jersey City Official 3" anyone?

Council now has 20-some days to choose an interim replacement for the open Ward B seat, else it will remain vacant until the (announced?) November 2010 special election. Ward B residents deserve representation throughout, and deserve someone with moxie, independence, and responsiveness. So -- my personal hope -- is that Council openly invites interested community members to "apply," quickly, and that Council then selects an interim, preferably from outside the HCDO patronage mill.

Given the mayor's woeful track record in Ward B -- Mary Spinello (later jettisoned, after she acceded to Healy's voting wishes on the high-cube trucking warehouse, over her constituents' vocal protests), followed by Phil Kenny (as an orchestrated interim, then a Team Healy running mate, and now a confessed felon) -- he has no credibility.

As many as possible, the residents of Ward B should sign up for this Wednesday's Council meeting, attend, and speak their minds. The mayor has repeatedly (and demonstrably) failed them -- endorsing a succession of tone-deaf candidates -- and Ward B'ers shoud demand that Council give them a modicum of say-so in their interim representation. Council is our legislative branch, and they alone hold authority in this decision.

ANDREW HUBSCH

Posted on: 2009/10/10 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Amen, Andrew.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 19:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
If Donnelly is made Councilman of Ward B look for a putsch to develop aligning Donnelly & Fulop in an overthrow of the Healy regime. Payback for Momma having to slide south to Bayonne.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 21:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Mayor Donnelly, anyone?
Rampant speculation on the blog. Join in the fun.

Posted on: 2009/10/13 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone planning to go to the council meeting tomorrow night? Should be interesting. Donnelly nomination, 77 Hudson with hat in hand, Brennan coronation as council president.

And for what it's worth: Whatever bad blood that is perceived to exist between Mary Donnelly and the Healy team, she gave $500 to Team Jersey City in March - David gave $550 to Healy. Say what you will about the many positive things the Donnellys may have done for the city, the machine takes care of its own - and vice versa.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Anyone planning to go to the council meeting tomorrow night? Should be interesting. Donnelly nomination, 77 Hudson with hat in hand, Brennan coronation as council president.

And for what it's worth: Whatever bad blood that is perceived to exist between Mary Donnelly and the Healy team, she gave $500 to Team Jersey City in March - David gave $550 to Healy. Say what you will about the many positive things the Donnellys may have done for the city, the machine takes care of its own - and vice versa.

Wait, somebody exercised their First Amendment rights and made a campaign contribution within lawful limits? Heavens no!

Welcome to JCList, where lawful participation in the political process makes you either messiah or pariah, depending on who you write the check to.

Smear away.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 4:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to donate $500.00 to Healy and get a City Job in return just like Donnelly did.

Iwitness will you please harass anyone who questions my First Amendment right to make this transaction.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

12345 wrote:
I would like to donate $500.00 to Healy and get a City Job in return just like Donnelly did.

Iwitness will you please harass anyone who questions my First Amendment right to make this transaction.

"Just like"? Which Donnelly are you alleging got a City job after making a campaign contribution to Team Jersey City in March of 2009?

Posted on: 2009/10/14 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Wait, somebody exercised their First Amendment rights and made a campaign contribution within lawful limits? Heavens no!

You should spend the time to look into campaign contributions for Santa Healy and his reindeer so you can make an informed statement and contribute intelligence to the dialogue. You don't have to agree with me, but at least know what you are talking about. It's quite clear from your breathless hyperbole that you don't.

The essentially perfect correlation between campaign donors and either:
1) people on the city and/or county payroll, or
2) companies/people with contracts with the city

speaks volumes for both the recipients and the donors. Are they all criminals? Of course not. Does their knowing participation in a self-perpetuating system that benefits them say something about them? Very much so.

But, I guess anyone can stand on a street corner and yell the sky is falling. Only in America.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 11:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blogcityblog wrote:
Mayor Donnelly, anyone?
Rampant speculation on the blog. Join in the fun.

I think I have the taste of vomit in my mouth.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

You should spend the time to look into campaign contributions for Santa Healy and his reindeer so you can make an informed statement and contribute intelligence to the dialogue. You don't have to agree with me, but at least know what you are talking about. It's quite clear from your breathless hyperbole that you don't.

The essentially perfect correlation between campaign donors and either:
1) people on the city and/or county payroll, or
2) companies/people with contracts with the city

speaks volumes for both the recipients and the donors. Are they all criminals? Of course not. Does their knowing participation in a self-perpetuating system that benefits them say something about them? Very much so.

Ooooooh, touchy.

Let's fast forward to a magical hypothetical: in the next mayoral election, whether scheduled or "special" pursuant to a resignation, either Levin or Fulop wins the vote (whichever suits your agenda, either will work for purposes of this hypothetical). As part of the process of performing the long-awaited "clean sweep" so artfully articulated in youtube videos, the generations of "cronies" populating city jobs and not otherwise protected by contracts are bounced. Who replaces them? My money's on folks who worked their asses off to get FulopLevin into office (provided they're qualified for the position, of course.) Or, all other things being equal, the person who demonstrated their willingness to go to the mat for the now elected official will have a leg up over somebody with no political affiliation.

Now, let's fast-forward again, to the next election cycle. Where that person who now collects a city pay check cuts a check to have their mayor re-elected. Regrdless of whether it's out of a personal interest in keeping their job, or whether it's out of sincere belief that their guy is the right guy for the job, they contribute to the campaign to have that person re-elected.

Are you willing to paint this same person with the same broad brush? Or better, are you suggesting that Fulop or Levin has or should take a position that nobody who ever contributed to either of their campaigns would be eligible for employment in their administration?

Get back to me on that. In the mean time, I'll be trying to catch my breath. LOL.

Quote:

But, I guess anyone can stand on a street corner and yell the sky is falling. Only in America.

As you've consistently demonstrated. Although I'm pretty sure you could do so in Canada, and the UK, and Ireland, to name a few other places. Lest we engage in hyperbole.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Okay - is this where I'm supposed to say something like "I'm rubber you're glue?"

Seriously, look at how campaign dollars flow. Please. Please. I'll walk you through it if necessary (and I don't say that condescendingly - the system is very poorly designed and difficult to use.) It's a far more useful exercise than posing "magical hypotheticals." As outrageous (and outraging) as the corruption arrests and convictions are, they are a sideshow full of salacious details that have whipped up short-lived anger. The main event is the ongoing movement of dollars from one cog to another, day after day, week after week, month after month... you get the picture. Where do those dollars come from and what is the return on investment? That is what people should be walking around city hall with signs and bullhorns about. Every week. Rain or shine. So what if Vega ends up convicted and out of office? The next dandelion will sprout right back up from the same root.

There is no question that some people who made significant contributions would end up with jobs in a Levin or Fulop administration. For starters, the numbers (people who actually vote, people among that subset [if we assume that a ranking city employee should be engaged enough to vote] who are qualified to hold a professional managerial-type job) are such that it would be hard to avoid.

The point I'm making is that if you were to look at our imaginary winner's campaign contributors in October 2013, what you wouldn't find is that all of their contributors are now on the city payroll or soon to be. Nor would you find scores of businesses and individuals with fresh services contracts. Nor would you find a long list of the customary barnacles (professional overhead types) who move from winning ship to winning ship. That is a bet I'll happily make with you and offer you odds while I'm at it.

I'm not saying that there aren't qualified people among those who line up for a seat at the table for some patronage pork pie. I'm just saying that if you play that game (making significant contributions to the machine candidates), you reasonably leave yourself open to question.

Posted on: 2009/10/14 15:35

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017