Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Wanted: Crossing Guard; Qualifications: Must Know How to Cross Street; Salary: $31K/year
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Crossing Guards make no where near as much as a police officers. They do not work year round, they do not have details and they do not work overtime. They are there there simply to make sure the kids are safe when they are going to and from school. I dont give a hoot what they make they are needed. And as for the comment about them standing around on the corner, i assume waiting for the kids is part of their job. Alot of people are confused in thinking their job descriptions include stoping the traffic and crossing adults. It does not. They are just being nice when they stop the traffic for adults to cross.
Their job is to protect children from the crazy maniac drivers that are in Jersey City.

Not quite accurate. Crossing guards do work overtime on weekends when there's a parade, running event etc. year round.

Sorry Shadow you are incorrect. They work the hours, but do not get paid the overtime pay.
They work aprox 10-15 hours per week if that.
Oh, and they do not get paid for snow days thanks to the economy.
" Just sayin"

Posted on: 2010/2/22 0:09

Re: Wanted: Crossing Guard; Qualifications: Must Know How to Cross Street; Salary: $31K/year
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Crossing guards make about 12-13k a year. There is very litttle overtime and when there is, it is distributed by seniority.
They get a pared down version of city benefits.
They are obligated to cross school children. They do not have keys for changing lights. They are not cops and have no authority to give tickets. They are out in the freezing cold, rain etc... and deal with many pedestrian and motorist insanities. They also sustain injuries. Drive by Lincoln, Snyder, Dickinson or Ferris at dismissal. You will get an appreciation of their efforts. Yes some are awful but many are wonderful and do a great job protecting the kids.

Posted on: 2010/2/20 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Crossing Guards make no where near as much as a police officers. They do not work year round, they do not have details and they do not work overtime. They are there there simply to make sure the kids are safe when they are going to and from school. I dont give a hoot what they make they are needed. And as for the comment about them standing around on the corner, i assume waiting for the kids is part of their job. Alot of people are confused in thinking their job descriptions include stoping the traffic and crossing adults. It does not. They are just being nice when they stop the traffic for adults to cross.
Their job is to protect children from the crazy maniac drivers that are in Jersey City.

Not quite accurate. Crossing guards do work overtime on weekends when there's a parade, running event etc. year round.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Question... who do I call to make a complaint on a crossing guard? This guard is horrible. I see some guards who have the key for the box on the corners to change the light to pull traffic thru or even press the cross button but this guard does neither!!!
Traffic is so bad at 830am & 245pm because of this guard.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't be surprised if the complainer was a Christie supporter. Such petty people.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 13:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe someone is actually complaining about crossing guards. This is a new low of complaining, even for jclist.[/quote]

I don't think its a low..How does a crossing guard make that much? That is absolutely ridiculous. I know people who work for the board of ed, working with kids with special needs and they only make about $21,000 starting. Thats a damn shame in comparison.[quote]
Terri wrote:

Posted on: 2009/10/6 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
For a job that requires nothing more than a high school diploma, i think police salaries are more than appropriate.

as far as occupational hazards that go along with police work, well, that's the job they chose.

overtime, state benefits, pension........they get paid just fine.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 5:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/10/6 4:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Crossing guards make about 35 bucks a day. Whoopee! They freeze their butts off, take crap from lunatic motorists and protect kids. They also get attacked and run over.
Try doing this job at Ferris or Dickinson.it also takes all day to do the job. Jersey City ain,t Mayberry.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 1:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/17 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe someone is actually complaining about crossing guards. This is a new low of complaining, even for jclist.

Posted on: 2009/10/6 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to think that is slip considering those guards only work like 2 hours a day.

Either way, half the time they just stand in the corner.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 23:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/16 16:24
Group:
Registered Users
I used to walk to work at a school on Kennedy Blvd. The traffic at 8:15 AM at the corner of Montgomery was completely nuts, yet there was a female crossing guard out in the middle of it, waving away, directing cars and students..A MUCH braver soul than I.
We have a crossing guard in my neighborhood and she knows everyone, and a lot of the kids by name. Before and after school, having an adult around is a good thing for the children and the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
There is not enough money in the world for me to stand in front of Jersey City traffic herding kids across the street in all kinds of weather, even if I would get to wear cute white gloves and blow a whistle.

The problem here is actually not what the crossing guard gets paid, it's what the cop gets paid. Shameful.

How about a guest sopt on the Oprah Winfrey Show. A couple of years ago a J.C. crossing guard pushed a child crossing the street out of harm's way and the guard herself got hit by the car so she was invited on Oprah's show.
You have a point on your statement on what the cop gets paid though.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
yes...by a braver soul than i.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 17:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
and if your child is hot by a car on the way to school, this site would be overrun with complaints that the city has no crossing guards. here's another example of a jersey journal story that isn't a story at all .

Posted on: 2009/10/5 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
There is not enough money in the world for me to stand in front of Jersey City traffic herding kids across the street in all kinds of weather, even if I would get to wear cute white gloves and blow a whistle.

The problem here is actually not what the crossing guard gets paid, it's what the cop gets paid. Shameful.

In this economy, I'd bet that a part-time, unskilled job would be taken for less than 30K.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
I am pretty sure the 6 crossing guards make a TOTAL of $30,675, not $30,675 each.

How do they divide that between 6 people? Do you really think it's a coincidence that the salary is exactly the same as a new cop's annual salary? Really?

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I just find it amazing that a crossing guard receives the same salary as a cop!!!!

There are lots of jobs that pay as much as a cop or even more. Would you rather have no crossing guard at all. They provide a service and skill for the well being of families.

Skill? Really,? I think a crossing guard is, at most, a convenience--for little children, a necessity. They don't work full days. They are entirely unskilled. In many towns they are volunteer jobs that the elderly take on to stay active. They absolutely don't deserve to be paid the same as someone putting their lives on the line every day.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I am pretty sure the 6 crossing guards make a TOTAL of $30,675, not $30,675 each.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I just find it amazing that a crossing guard receives the same salary as a cop!!!!

There are lots of jobs that pay as much as a cop or even more. Would you rather have no crossing guard at all. They provide a service and skill for the well being of families.

A skill?

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:34

Wanted: Crossing Guard; Qualifications: Must Know How to Cross Street; Salary: $31K/year
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

What kind of connections do you need to get that job? I

assume all the new hires are somehow related to our elected representatives, or have at least given $$$ to them (legally or not).

Budget gap means salary losses but city gets 53 hires
Monday, October 05, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
Facing a $40 million budget gap and imposing mandatory furloughs on most municipal workers, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has nonetheless hired 53 full-time permanent city employees - the majority of them new police officers - since he was re-elected May 12.

Last week, the mayor confirmed the city will institute 12 mandatory furlough days for all city workers except those in the police and fire departments. The furloughs will result in those employees losing 9.2 percent of their salary from Dec. 24 through June 30.

But despite these drastic measures, city officials insist the new hires were needed. Healy spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said that except for 28 new police officers, all of the new hires are replacing people who left positions that are necessary, according to department directors. She also said every hire has been approved by the state.

Because Jersey City receives millions in aid from New Jersey, the state requires the city to obtain approval for all new hires. The Police Department hired 28 new police officers at starting salaries of $30, 675, two non-uniformed "information officers" for $27,000 a year each, and a student assistant at $25,000 a year.

Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez also came on board after the last election at $33,430 a year, and five new City Council aides were hired at $15,000 a year.

The law department hired a new attorney for $90,000 a year, and the city hired a municipal prosecutor for $39,000 a year. In addition, one cashier and two clerks for the Municipal Court were hired at $27,000 a year and two court bailiffs came on board at $27,000 a year each.

Health and Human Services got a new nutritionist, but that person's $28,000-a-year salary is paid for by a grant.

In addition, six crossing guards were hired at $30,675 a year, an automotive worker for the Department of Public Works was hired at $48,000 a year and a computer technician for the city's police communications center was hired at $43,000 a year.

The count does not include seasonal temporary employees that are primarily hired for the recreation and parks departments for the summer months, Morrill said. These workers are paid hourly and do not receive benefits.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 16:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017