Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Furloughs coming for Jersey City workers; Mayor Healy to take pay cut
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
How can you ask for what, the assistant mayors need to make sure Healy's drink glass is never empty.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Yes, I tend to agree that there is TOO much patronage. I was surprised that JC had assistant mayors. For what?

Posted on: 2010/7/20 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I tend to agree that there is TOO much patronage. I was surprised that JC had assistand mayors. For what?

Posted on: 2010/7/20 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/20 13:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City employee union reacts to news of more furloughs

Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
Updated: Monday, July 19, 2010, 3:03 PM

Jersey City employees will be forced to take another 12 unpaid days off as the city continues to grapple with a multi-million budget deficit.

There will be one day a month between September and June 2011, except for October and April when there will be two.

H.K. ?Chuck? Carol, president of Jersey City Public Employees Local 246, which has over 600 members, said the unions were given about two hours notice Friday before a memorandum detailing the furloughs was handed out.

?I get the feeling from the people I speak to that they would be more than willing to give something up for the greater good, but nobody at all in this administration is holding out hope that these furloughs will avert layoffs,? Carol said. ?If we?re not avoiding layoffs, what?s the point??

The employees were subject to 12 furlough days between December and June to offset a budget deficit in the last fiscal year. City officials said those unpaid days off saved about $1.5 million.

City officials have said they are facing a $56 million deficit in the current fiscal year due to declining state aid and increasing healthcare and pension costs.

City Council members and Business Administrator John ?Jack? Kelly have said the city is developing a furlough and layoff plan to help close the deficit.

But Carol argues that the furloughs will cost the city more. He said the city must still provide essential services. He said closing down the municipal court for example will only create more back log and a need for overtime.

He said when the animal control officers are out on unpaid leave, the city must still pay someone to address those needs.

He said elevators will go without inspect when those officials are out.

?The obvious ripple effect is so horrible,? he said. ?These furloughs are going to hurt the public much more than they?re going to hurt the (union) members.?

Carol said while some employees can handle the loss in pay, others like, those making only $22,000 a year will be hit hard.

?It?s awful,? he said. ?It?s a difficult situation.?

Carol said he plans to call a meeting of his union before next month?s City Council meeting.

?I want to put it before the board so we can make an enlightened decision on this,? he said.

Here's a full list of the furlough schedule. Police and Fire are not impacted:

Department of Administration, City Clerk, Health & Human Services, Office of the Mayor, Public Works, Tax Assessor, Housing, Economic Development & Commerce.
1. Friday, September 3, 2010
2. Friday, October 8, 2010
3. Monday October 25,2010
4. Friday, November 12, 2010
5. Thursday, December 23,2010
6. Friday, January 14,2011
7. Monday, February 14,2011
8. Friday, March 18,2011
9. Friday, April 1,2011
10.Monday, April 25, 2011
11.Friday, May 27, 2011
12.Monday, June 20, 2011

Department of Recreation
1. Friday, September 3,2010
2. Tuesday, October 12,2010
3. Monday, October 25, 2010
4. Monday, November 15,2010
5. Thursday, December 23, 2010
7. Monday, February 14,2011
8. Friday, March 18,2011
9. Friday, April 1, 2011
10.Monday, April 25, 2011
11.Friday, May 27, 2011
12.Monday, June 20, 2011

Department of Law & Municipal Courts
1. Friday, September 3, 2010
2. Friday, October 8, 2010
3. Friday, October 29, 2010
4. Friday, November 12, 2010
5. Thursday, December 23,2010
7. Friday, February 18,2011
8. Friday, March 18,2011
9. Friday April 1,2011
10.Friday April 29, 2011
11.Friday, May 27,2011
12.Friday June 17,2011

Posted on: 2010/7/19 21:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/17 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
The system will never budget right as long as high-pay patronage jobs for political reward suck the taxpayer dry!

Posted on: 2010/7/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Furloughs are a, as previous poster(s) pointed out are a minor part of the budget. Putting the school side of the budget aside for the moment: As previous posters pointed out, salaries, overtime, pension, and insurance eat up the bulk of the non-school side of the budget (followed by healthy chunk of $$$ for interest on debt).

The city is headed for bankruptcy unless some other entity bails it out. The entire state pension system is insolvent at this point. Options the city should be looking at:

No pensions for all new hires. Defined contributions only. But at least give employees a 401k and not the typical 401b normally offered to govt. employees. 401b's are often nothing but annuities which is the wrong investment say for a 23 year old rookie cop.

Renegotiate with the unions. No more multiple pensions. Existing pensions and salaries will need to be frozen and / or cut. Overtime issues need to be resolved. For example, a lot of police are paid overtime to sit a watch a hole be dug into a street (construction). Do we really need full-time uniformed officers doing that job? Can we use a part time (not paid overtime) auxiliary police (say police that retired from full time work)?

Nuclear option #1. If the unions don't cooperate: Privatize everything to get out of the pension trap There are private companies that handle fire for airports and municipalities. I am not sure if there is one for police. The only contracting out of police I found so far was a town contracting with a neighboring city police or sheriffs department. Wouldn't be nice if we made Jersey City the most cost effective police force in the county? The city could give us some tax relief by contracting the police out to the rest of the county at a profit (yeah.. I know.. fat chance on that one).

Nuclear option #2: Hit the reset switch. Default on all obligations. Write off debt, cancel all contracts, and go ahead with nuclear option #1.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 11:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
More Furloughs?

WHERE ARE THE LAYOFFS. You want real savings. Cut the dead weight. Cut the fat. Consolidate.

Towns all across the country are simply eliminating their police and fire depts. But here in Jersey City its business as usual at the expense of taxpayers.

Problem is with these furloughs, the employees still get to keep their expensive Cadillac benefits.

Also, the city should start selling its properties.

And take away individual cars and have a fleet of a couple cars where city employees can use them for city business only.

Get rid of gas guzzling SUVs too.

I don't think I am going to pay taxes anymore until a budget is set and I see real fiscal discipline.

FG

Posted on: 2010/7/19 10:54

Re: More furloughs for City staff
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Come on all you city workers who are reading this while pretending to work...

I expect lots of responses when you get in tomorrow at 9... er, 10... er, whenever.

As to pd/fd... most of those guys don't live in JC anyway so the powers that be shouldn't be too worried about their voting bloc. It must be a concern about union matters and the public's perception.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 22:53

More furloughs for City staff
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
The City announced on Friday that all City employees (except Police and Fire) would be required to take 12 furlough days (without pay) between September, 2010 and June, 2011.

One question; why aren't Police and Fire personnel being asked to sacrifice as well ? Newark is furloughing their policemen and firemen.

Posted on: 2010/7/18 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
An Open Letter to Mayor Healy and the Jersey City Council regarding the FY 2010 Budget and impending tax increases that I will be mailing them on Monday.

Bravo! beautiful work! You've made some fantastic points. Especially with the health care, vacation, and sick time issues.

I hope this wakes them up!

Posted on: 2010/2/13 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
An Open Letter to Mayor Healy and the Jersey City Council regarding the FY 2010 Budget and impending tax increases that I will be mailing them on Monday.

Dear Mr. Mayor and Jersey City Council Members.

I am writing this letter because of my deep concern over the FY2010 budget that was introduced recently and the impending humongous Property Tax increases that will result. Increases that are over and above the 11.25% tax increase that was already imposed on us back in July 2009 at a 5 o?clock ?rush-hour? council meeting that had little to no advance notice, so that no one would show up.

Well I was there in July, and even spoke at that council meeting. I said, ?The People of Jersey City are hurting?. Many of us, myself included, have lost our private sector jobs during this ?Great Recession?. And despite what the pundits are saying on Wall Street, things have not gotten better and the CHANGE we were promised ? both nationally, and here locally in Jersey City, HAS NOT COME. The only change we have gotten, has been in our taxes? Up and UP and AWAY.

Unfortunately, while I am still out of work, since October of 2008, and have had to do my own cutting back and significant belt tightening, I have not seen the city do ANY cutting whatsoever. It?s business as usual there at City Hall. Bloated Budgets, ?Do Nothing? bureaucracy and now corruption that reigns the day. There has been no sacrifice at City Hall or with our municipal government. You find it easier to just raise taxes on the citizens than to make tough choices.

At the last City Council meeting that I attended at the end of January, it was quite obvious; not one of the city council members had really spent any time with the budget. In fact, the budget in places looks just like 2009 actual numbers carried over. Frankly, I think someone was lazy when putting it together. And apparently, with the exception of maybe Mr. Steven Fulop, everybody else is just ?Yes? men and women to Mayor Healy and don?t have the true interests of the citizens of Jersey City at heart when they approved this budget. You are supposed to represent ?US? the people of Jersey City. This FY 2010 budget that is 7 months late is not representative of the People of Jersey City and it does not have our best interests at heart.

While I?ve seen the recent stories about the 4 firehouses being closed? and how seasonal workers are now being let go, really? this is a big shell game. It?s the same as usual. No one lost his or her job with the four firehouses. If you read the Jersey Journal article closely, they were all conveniently ?reassigned?. And I believe ?firehouses? share physical facilities with ladder companies and other emergency divisions? so this will result in no savings absolutely whatsoever. It?s a paper accounting trick. And those seasonal jobs ? they are seasonal for a reason?. They?ll be back just in time for next year I?m sure. And the 12 furlough days that Jersey City?s had? With a union subsequently complaining and crying foul? Try being out of work completely for a year and 5 months with no income and no health insurance. It sucks, so stop complaining.

Instead of continuing to tax and spend our way to fiscal destruction, what we need are real cuts. Significant cuts. Layoffs at City Hall and at every government agency and entity needs to take place until we get a balanced budget that does not impose hefty tax increases on us, the citizens of this fine city. To start, all those political appointment jobs and patronage positions have got to go.

Finally, Mr. Mayor, City Council members, since you can?t do it right, let me help. I downloaded the Jersey City budget that was submitted and, since I have some time on my hands, I have reviewed it and I have some suggestions for you. But, until this bloated budget is amended with BIG cuts?. It cannot be passed in its current state.

Here are my suggestions?. Starting with expenses first.

Health Care and Retirement Pension Plans.

These have to be addressed. The Health Care Insurance plan for the city should be sent out for re-bid from multiple insurance providers to ensure the city is getting the best deal. $69 million is INSANE. Stop offering expensive ?Cadillac? plans. Additionally, like the private sector, city employees should start to have to pay co-pays. $5 co-pays for prescriptions and $20 co-pays for doctor?s visits are not going to hurt anybody. Time for JC employees to start chipping in like the rest of us. The free ride for city employees has to stop. Retirement Pensions need to be looked at as well ? especially for police and fire as it?s now upwards of $34 million and growing. City employees need to start making more contributions ? similar to employees in the private sector.

Accumulated Vacation and Sick Days.

This is on Sheet 3C. THIS IS INSANE! Jersey City employees have 265,942 days that they need to take and it?s costing us almost $74 million dollars in 2010. Negotiated through ?Approved Labor Agreements?. Time to re-think this big time. Many private sector employers have USE IT OR LOOSE IT vacation and sick day policies. Jersey City needs to follow suit. Other municipalities across the US have switched and Jersey City should too. Otherwise this will continue to be a big liability. Plus, sick days are supposed to be sick days ? 3 or 4 a year when sick. You should not be allowed to take extra sick days because you weren?t sick 5 years ago.

OTHER EXPSENSES

This line item appears over and over and over again in the budget. 54 TIMES to be exact. What are these OTHER EXPENSES? There needs to be more significant cuts in other expenses versus 2009. The Office of the City Clerk?s expenses went up $7,000. But there are some real whoppers. ?Other Expenses? for the Management and Budget Office (Sheet 13, line 256) went from $48,475 in 2009 to OVER $337,000. What?s going on here? That?s a huge increase. Cut here now.

Are there really over $1,284,000 in other expenses in the Engineering Office? REALLY? It?s down from 2009, but should be cut more.

Other expenses in Information Technology are $1,452,200. CUT THIS Big time. Hold off on computer purchases. Computers should last 3-4 years easily. I?m positive IT Other Expenses can be cut more. Check out the new Best Buy for sales. Renegotiate all IT contracts for cost savings.

Other Expenses in Collections is up about $16,000. And other expenses for the TAX ASSESSOR jumped by $146,100 versus 2009. How bout some BIG CUTS for the Tax Assessor?s office versus big tax increases.

The Law Department?s Other Expenses (Sheet 15A line 396) has swelled to $1,021,500. Up over $36,750. What are these new legal expenses? Take away their photocopier or whatever it is that is running up their costs.

Building and Street Maintenance. Yes, ?Other Expenses? are down here from 2009, however at $1,611,800, it?s still a big amount. Not sure we?re getting our money?s worth here either.

Automotive Services (Sheet 15C, Line 416). More cuts need to take place here. At $2,452,700 this is a big amount for ?Other Expenses? I have a suggestion, the City Council can start by turning in their cars. Also, limo / car services need to be cut. Also, older cars in the fleet should be gotten rid of and more fuel efficient cars obtained. But this could be cut more. Limit use of personal cars for city work. Buses, jitneys, PATH, Light Rail and walking all are acceptable options for transportation.

?Other Expenses? for Health (Sheet 15D, line 511) shot up by $55,000 to $666,091. What happened here? Are we really healthier?

?Other Expenses? for Fire at $1,415,700 and for Police at $2,589,400 while down slightly from 2009, still seem excessive. Can?t more cuts for non-essential ?other expense? take place?

In TOTAL (from sheet 25, line 60023-11) OTHER EXPENSES have jumped dramatically to $67,563, 374 up from $44,505,338. That?s a $23 million increase. Instead of raising our taxes, cut ?Other Expenses? back to 2009 levels.

OTHER AREAS THAT CAN BE CUT ? from Sheet 16 & 17

- ATM - Aid to Museum and AAM - Aid to African American Museum can be cut more
- 879 - Municipal Publicity has jumped to $64,000 from $30,000. Cut this back down.
- 880 ? Other Advertising ? cut more
- 881 ? Celebration of Public Events ? organizations need to cover more costs
- 884 ? Professional Affiliations ? Cut here. What are these affiliations anyway and what do we get?
- Ambulance Service ? jumped to over $3,540,000 from $3,344,000. Maybe send 3 ambulances instead of four? And shouldn?t accident insurance be covering some of this?
- Electricity ? turn off the lights, get motion sensors, switch light bulbs to energy saving CFLs or LED lights.
- 888 ? Gasoline ? take away personal cars, get rid of gas guzzling SUVs, renegotiate contracts.
- 887 ? Office Services, this jumped by $57,000 from 2009. Cut, cut cut.

Revenue Generation

Now, once the ?Other Expenses? category has been cut, the other side of the equation is that Jersey City needs to really focus on raising revenues through fees and other charges and levies?not through increased property taxes. Here are some thoughts as overall, revenues are flat or down in the FY 2010 budget.

- Issue more Alcoholic Beverage Licenses ? there are many restaurants without who I know want them. Make sure existing licenses are renewed.
- Lets get more people married.
- Cable TV Franchise Fees need to be increased for more revenue to the city
- Start Charging more in Advertising Ordinance Fees
- Why are there ZERO Demolition fees? Don?t permits have to be issued? I know demolition is going on all over the place.
- Increase Hotel Occupancy Taxes?. Many new hotels around
- Sewer and Street Opening Revenue is down yet development continues. Raise fees on developers.
- Vending Machine Licenses? I see vending machines all over the place, but we only get $23,688 in revenue?. Time to bump up fees and enforce.
- Food Establishment Licenses?. Make more available, but charge more also. Let the food carts operate wherever?. For a ?location? fee of course.
- Hotel and Motel Licenses ? Charge more
- Dine and Dance Permits. We only got $7,100 in 2009 and the same amount is budgeted for 2010. Hit up those nightclubs. Charge more for fees.
- Elevator inspection fees?. Up the fees?. And hit the downtown commercial and residential high-rise developments with lots of ?elevator inspections?
- Site Plan review fees. For FY 2009 we got $444,515, but are only now budgeting $300,000. Why? Increase fees here to adjust for lower volume.
- Increase Parking Lot License Fees, Street Parking Permit Fees and increase Parking Lot Taxes. We have great public transportation options. If you have a car, you can pay a little more for the privilege of parking it.
- Uniform Construction Code Fees also need to be increased.

Other items such as grants are missing (See Sheet 5). Jersey City is on track to be New Jersey?s largest city with the 2010 census, yet I see a big ZERO for the Municipal Homeland Security Assistance Aid. What? This could really help offset our bloated police and fire department budgets.

Additionally, we are receiving ZERO funding for the UEZ Police Program. Last year we got $1,345,045 in revenue from this. Also, no revenue for Neighborhood Preservation programs. What about revenue from NJDOT? In 2009 we got $1,250,997. 2010 is ZERO. (Sheet 9)

Why are we not getting a UEZ business relocation grant again this year? No Safe Routes to Schools money either. Last year we had $1 million and $250,000 respectively.

What happened to the $85,000 for seniors that came in in 2009. It?s gone for 2010.

In 2009, we got big money - $2,628,175 for the Urban Area Security Initiative Grant ? Fire. This year ZERO. We also have no money from the Metropolitan Medical Response System ? Fire. In 2009, we got $321,221.

No Safe and Secure Communities funding either. In 2009 we got $392,823. On Sheet 9C there is no revenue coming in for Senior Nutrition. The year prior we got $1,148,932. No Clean Communities Revenue either.

Apparently no one at City Hall is working to get all the Federal, State and other grant monies that are available. Why? WHY? WHY?

Why is revenue from Recycling Tonnage down significantly? Down over $117,000. I know you guys are inspecting for recycling violations? you cited everyone in my condo. So where is the money from recycling?

Revenue from fees to offices such as Harbor Plaza IV, and V and South pier are flat or down. Why? If anything these financial services companies should be charged more fees.

And, finally?. For all those who got 5, 10, 15 and 30 year sweetheart tax abatements (Sheets 10A ? 10G) and make Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILOTs), where money is diverted from our schools and the county. Lets create a new fee just for them? especially if they are sending their children to our public schools.

Call this new fee the ?Gold Coast & Luxury Living Educational Assessment Surcharge? This fee should be a percentage of the difference of what they are paying in their PILOTS and what they would pay normally in regular real estate taxes. It is unfair that those with abated ?luxury? properties don?t have to pay for our local schools and other services they receive from the City and County municipal governments.

CONCLUSION

Mr. Mayor, City Council Members, you MUST revisit and fix the 2010 budget. There are major issues with the budget as it currently stands. If you focus of significant cuts to ?Other Expenses?, and then focus on revenue generation through increased fees for services and other areas you can halt the need to raise large property taxes on the citizens of this city.

If I can go through the budget and see things that look out of line, surely you can do a better job at refining the budget. Go back to the drawing board and revise this budget to cut spending. You can also look at Salaries and Wages, which in certain departments have increased as well - despite a hiring and raises freeze that was supposed to be in effect.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be at the City Council meeting on February 25th to again protest this budget that will result in crazy property taxes. Please fix it now and resubmit.

Respectfully,

FG

Posted on: 2010/2/13 18:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/11 21:45
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeZ wrote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that if I go back to the office of the Construction Code, the dozen people who sit around and do nothing but ignore homeowners all day will still be there.

Guaranteed. The slackers are not going anywhere. I visited the tax office about my increase and the lazy girl that waited on me wanted to send me down the hall for abated properties. There is no abatement. Where did she get that, cuz she didn't even look up my address on her computer. She just wanted to get rid of me and go back to doing nothing.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Many of these people were hired for the sole reason to get their vote and their families vote. City workers during election time were told vote you and your family must donate to Team Healy's campaign and vote for Team Healy, otherwise you will not have a job. well he did keep one promise to them, now they don't have a job.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/13 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
seasonal and provisional employees? No doubt the people who probably need these jobs the most. How about getting rid of some chiefs instead of the indians? Wouldn't that have more of an effect on the budget both short and long term by cutting the pension and health care liability? How many private companies do you know of that still offer pension plans? Not many I bet. Most have either frozen their pension plans or converted them over to 401k type plans. Move the liability away from the taxpayers!

Posted on: 2010/2/13 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City is terminating 278 employees on Feb. 26; bulk are 'seasonals'

Saturday, February 13, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A total of 278 Jersey City employees will be terminated Feb. 26 to help the city close a multi-million dollar budget deficit.

Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, confirmed that 240 seasonal workers, 36 provisional employees and two unclassified employees will be terminated.

Affected employees will receive notices Tuesday.

The layoffs will save about $1.3 million for the remainder of the fiscal year, which ends June 30.

Morrill said it would amount to nearly $4.3 million in savings for Fiscal Year 2011, which starts July 1.

It's unclear what impact the cuts will have on the proposed tax hike.

The City Council rushed to introduce its $492 million operating budget last month in order to accept $14 million in state aid.

The budget is $31.6 million higher than the previous fiscal year and carries a $190 million tax levy, up $40 million from the previous year.

Without cuts, the proposed budget would raise taxes by about $800 for the owner of a home assessed at $100,000, city officials said.

The City Council will hold a Feb. 24 public hearing on the budget, which it still has time to amend.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City to Lay Off Nearly 300 Employees

By Shane Smith • Feb 11th, 2010 • Category: Blog, News

Hundreds of seasonal and provisional employees will be terminated on Feb. 26 as the administration attempts to rein in a proposed budget that has many residents fuming about a potential 25 percent property tax increase.

The city confirmed the layoff rumors this afternoon; it will send notice to the 280 affected workers Tuesday. The city predicts the move will save more than $1.3 million between now and June, the end of the 2010 fiscal year. Anticipated savings for the 2011 fiscal year are nearly $4.3 million.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... off-nearly-300-employees/

So he's laying off a bunch of folks that avg less than $5K/year. That's like a dieter cutting out the cherry on his daily banana split, then wondering why he's not losing weight. Healy's a POS.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 4:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 23:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

teacher wrote:
500 teachers in JC alone calling in sick today.
They should have to bring in a dr note, or repay the wage.
Healy at 100k is cheap, Remember he is INNOCENT for now.
To put up with the bullship in JC, the job is worth 3x

And to top that off, the schools were only open half a day. Two days off for snow, then a half day off and then President's Day off. That's productivity for you, Jersey City style.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
500 teachers in JC alone calling in sick today.
They should have to bring in a dr note, or repay the wage.
Healy at 100k is cheap, Remember he is INNOCENT for now.
To put up with the bullship in JC, the job is worth 3x

Posted on: 2010/2/13 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

By Shane Smith ? Feb 11th, 2010 ? Category: Blog, News

Hundreds of seasonal and provisional employees will be terminated on Feb. 26 as the administration attempts to rein in a proposed budget that has many residents fuming about a potential 25 percent property tax increase.

"seasonal and provisional employees"? I'm not really sure what that means. They're going to lay off the person who puts up the holiday decorations? The person who mows the lawn for the baseball fields in the summer? This sounds like a phony token gesture.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 21:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I have a sneaky suspicion that if I go back to the office of the Construction Code, the dozen people who sit around and do nothing but ignore homeowners all day will still be there.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
A tiny drop in the bucket. Don't we have at least a $40 Million hole to fill? And won't it be even larger with the state pulling aid?

Posted on: 2010/2/12 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Better than a pay cut Healy can RESIGN!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/2/12 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

By Shane Smith ? Feb 11th, 2010 ? Category: Blog, News

The city confirmed the layoff rumors this afternoon; it will send notice to the 280 affected workers Tuesday. The city predicts the move will save more than $1.3 million between now and June, the end of the 2010 fiscal year. Anticipated savings for the 2011 fiscal year are nearly $4.3 million.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... off-nearly-300-employees/

Posted on: 2010/2/12 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
New Jersey Employment Lawsuit Launched in Jersey City

January 8, 2010. By Gordon Gibb

Jersey City, NJ: An attempt to initiate a furlough system in Jersey City is about to be contested in court. A lawsuit filed just before Christmas will test the validity of the furloughs, in association with New Jersey labor law.

The city appears to be taking a cue from the state of California, which announced furloughs last year in response to the statewide fiscal crisis. Various unions and other groups challenged the idea of the mandated furlough as unconstitutional, unfair, illegal, or all of the above.

Now workers are waging a similar fight in Jersey City.

According to the January 5 edition of the Jersey Journal, a state-approved plan will require all individuals employed by Jersey City, with the exception of police and fire department workers, to take 12 unpaid days off.

The temporary layoffs are projected to save roughly $2 million in a city with a $40 million deficit.

However, the Jersey City Supervisors Association filed a lawsuit December 22 in US District Court to combat the move. The 110-member association claims that the city, while crying poor, has hired 53 full-time workers since May of last year, adding to the books a combined salary of $1.6 million, not including the cost of health and pension benefits.

Complicating the issue is the fact that the union has been without a contract since June, 2008?and the Jersey City Supervisors Association has been at loggerheads with the city ever since.

A spokesperson in the mayor's office noted that the state has approved Jersey City's furlough plan. "While the furloughs are unfortunate, they are necessary and thoroughly defensible as they have been authorized by the state Department of Personnel," said Jennifer Morrill, who represents the office of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy. "This is one of several steps the administration is taking to ensure that residents do not face an acute tax increase."

The union claims in its lawsuit that the city has "substantially impaired the obligations" of the union's contract under a clause in the US Constitution.

A New Jersey employment attorney will be representing the interests of the association in the lawsuit.
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/ ... y-employment-labor-4.html

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
When do the furloughs have to be taken?

Posted on: 2010/1/5 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I hope it does not affect out taxes. Have you noticed that some property owners list the owner of the property with a name the same as the street address along with LLC. This way they don't recieve any violation tickets because it has to be written to an actual name, a warm body have you. And if they do get sued it will only affect the said address in violation. These homes should have a license plate as cars do this way we can tack on revenue and keep the city codes enforced. It is easier to ticket the resident home owner with a name than these dead beats. How come the parking authority always get their man... or woman.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
In it's suit
-- does the Jersey Journal not know the difference between singular possessive and the conjunction of "it is"?

Posted on: 2010/1/5 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Union takes Jersey City to court over furlough plan

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
January 04, 2010, 6:01PM

Members of the Jersey City Supervisors Association, which represents about 110 civilian employees, have filed a lawsuit against the city in federal court, contesting the furloughs. The Jersey City Supervisors Association has filed a lawsuit in federal court contesting temporary layoffs.

All city employees, with the exception of those in the police and fire departments, must take 12 unpaid days off to help the city cope with a budget deficit.

The furloughs would save the city about $2 million, a fraction of the estimated $40 million deficit officials are grappling with.

Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, said the state approved the city?s furlough plan.

?This is one of several steps the administration is taking to ensure that residents do not face an acute tax increase,? she said.

In it's suit the Jersey City Supervisors Association, which represents about 110 city workers, says the city has ?substantially impaired the obligations? of the union?s contract under a clause in the U.S. Constitution.

Union and city officials have been in negotiations since that contract expired June 2008. The process has gone to mediation.

According to the suit, filed in U.S. District Court Dec. 22, the city has hired 53 full-time employees since May 2009 at a combined salary of $1.6 million not including health benefits and pensions.

The union?s attorney, James Mets, of Woodbridge-based Mets, Schiro & McGovern LLP., said furloughs were not discussed during negotiations and the city had offered salary increases.

Also, Mets said the city recently settled with another union and offered salary increases.

Mets said the furloughs would have a minimal impact on the budget.

Posted on: 2010/1/5 11:45

Re: Here's when Jersey City offices will be closed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Christmas Eve will be the first of 12 furlough days for Jersey City
By The Jersey Journal
December 22, 2009, 8:38AM

Jersey City released its furlough calendar yesterday.

The first furlough day will be Thursday as Jersey City municipal employees are getting Christmas Eve off, but without pay.

City officials have said the furloughs will save about $2 million - part of an attempt to close a $40 million budget deficit.
All city departments will again be closed Jan. 15, Feb. 5 and May 28.

The Recreation Department will also be closed Dec. 31, Feb. 17, Feb. 24, March 24, April 5, April 9, May 10 and June 7.

In addition, the Department of Law and Municipal Courts will be closed Jan. 22, Feb. 19, March 12, March 19, April 9, April 23, May 21 and June 11.

All other departments - Administration, City Clerk, Health & Human Services, Housing, Economic Development & Commerce, Office of the Mayor, Public Works, and Tax Assessor - will be closed Jan. 22, Feb. 22, March 12, March 19, April 5, April 23, May 17 and June 11.

Posted on: 2009/12/22 15:08

Re: Here's when Jersey City offices will be closed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Holiday eve first of 12 unpaid days for city workers

Monday, December 07, 2009
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City offices will be closed Dec. 24 while all city workers except those in the police and fire department take the first of 12 unpaid days off to offset a projected budget deficit.

City officials have yet to introduce a budget for the current fiscal year, which runs from July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010. Instead, the City Council has been voting to approve temporary appropriations each month.

Officials have said the city is facing a $40 million to $70 million budget deficit for the current fiscal year.

Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, said the furloughs, or temporary layoffs, reduce the budget by about $2 million.

City workers were notified Nov. 5 that they would be forced to take 12 unpaid days off over a six-month period beginning Dec. 24.

The furloughs do not affect the police or fire departments.

Four elevator inspectors sent a letter to the state Civil Service Commission Nov. 19 as well as Healy and city administrators protesting the furloughs.

"We believe that the implementation of the temporary layoffs (furloughs) will force the already stressed Elevator Division to miss approximately 16 to 40 periodic and routine elevator inspections per month," they wrote. "Performing all elevator inspections is essential."

Morrill said the city would work with the inspectors.

"The elevator inspections are of paramount concern and the city would implement whatever measures are necessary to ensure that there are no lapses in inspections, which are mandated by the state," she said.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 15:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017