Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: You know you're a JC old-timer if you remember...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
.......If you remember the old, simple but nice white with black letters/numerals street signs that were at each corner. I think these street signs were a Jersey City icon in the days before the present street signs.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I remember the good old days when, after a hard day on the waterfront at Lehman, you could take a book that you bought at the Imaginatrium and read it at Fatburger. Good times.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
You know you're a JC old-timer if you... still enjoy reading this thread.

Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Then you are not the old timer you claim to be, that store was a Food Fare till well into the 60s.

You're correct about me not being that much of an old timer (considering I was born in JC in the late '70's). You claimed the supermarket wasn't a Food Town, and that saying it was a Food Town was wrong. In that, you're incorrect, as it was a Food Town for years, up and until it was torn down to make way for the athletic center that's there now.

That it may have also been something called Food Fair until the 1960's doesn't change the fact that it was also, for at least a decade, a Food Town.

Congrats on being old, though.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

marybarr wrote:
I am sooo new here but I already have bittersweet memories--of the OX restaurant.

Wow... that post is incredibly high on the irrelevant scale.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I am sooo new here but I already have bittersweet memories--of the OX restaurant.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Then you are not the old timer you claim to be, that store was a Food Fare till well into the 60s.

You're correct about me not being that much of an old timer (considering I was born in JC in the late '70's). You claimed the supermarket wasn't a Food Town, and that saying it was a Food Town was wrong. In that, you're incorrect, as it was a Food Town for years, up and until it was torn down to make way for the athletic center that's there now.

That it may have also been something called Food Fair until the 1960's doesn't change the fact that it was also, for at least a decade, a Food Town.

Congrats on being old, though.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps it was a Mayfair later converted to a Foodtown? I dunno, it doesn't matter now cause I heard they are openning a Wholefoods there soon.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 17:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/11/30 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

soulman wrote:
Close but no cigar. It was Food Fair.

Nope. I have never in my life shopped in a place called "Food Fair." I have, on hundreds of occasions, been dragged as a child by my mother to the Food Town on West Side Avenue by the Miss America Diner and Jersey City State.

Nice try, though.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Ha yes Palmer Video, I remember that place. I wonder whats gonna go there now since West Coast Video is closing.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 16:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/18 18:56
Group:
Registered Users
The supermarket next to miss america was a Food Town. The West Coast Video used to be a "Palmer Video", and before that it was "Churches Fried Chicken" and I think maybe a "Ginos" before that.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Close but no cigar. It was Food Fair.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
What was the name of the supermarket that used to be right next to miss america diner?? If memory serves me correct there was an A&P there or something.

It was a Food Town.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 5:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
What was the name of the supermarket that used to be right next to miss america diner?? If memory serves me correct there was an A&P there or something.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 5:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Great thread! I remember when Jersey City had many IBOAs:

* The Downtown Bus Company was at 1 Oxford Avenue
* The Central Avenue IBOA was at 297 Communipaw Avenue
* Lafayette And Greenville was at 119 Merritt Street
* North Boulevard Transportation Company/Red And Tan was at 437 Tonnele Avenue
* South Boulevard/Drogin was at 53 Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne
Some Public Service/Transport Of New Jersey routes: #7 South ran on Jackson Avenue; #7 North ran on Central and Palisades Avenues: #9 ran on Newark and West Side Avenues; #44 ran on Palisade Avenue.

A favorite place was the F.W. Woolworth's at 337 Central Avenue'.

Scott Printing was at 190 Baldwin Avenue.

Hotel On The Square and The Mayflower Hotel at 65 Tonnele Avenue.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 4:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to compile some of these with some fotos that any of you may want to share. Pls. send me a PM if you have any.

Ok, one more. The "Popeye" tag on the pillars of then Ferris, later P.S. 32, now McNair Academic High School on Coles Street. He is one of the great street legends of our old Hamilton Park 'hood. The recent addition to the back of the high school forever covered the basketball courts where these legends were born.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 2:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The jailhouse on Pavonia Ave behind the Administration building (and the prisoners hooting out the window at girls passing by).

The C-Town at Bergen and Academy was a tiny Shop-Rite.

Jim Stathis Vocal Studio and the dance school above the State Theater.

Brummers on the Junction.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 22:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
OMG. Forgot abt. the Red Witch.
How about a bar called After's on Palisade bet Booream and Ravine. Was formerly the Knights of Columbus.
Colletta's downtown. Cool places to hang out.
Also Carlsen's Corner on the Western Slope.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 17:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/4 1:40
Group:
Registered Users
Sneaking over to the Red Witch in Village for a pitcher of beer. They served 6 and 7 year olds for $5 a pitcher.
If you were old enough for Pop Warner football you were old enough to drink.[

Posted on: 2009/10/3 17:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Magic Id on Newark Ave. Where you could get the Velvet posters of buxom black goddesses that exploded in colors under a black light, incense, rolling papers and crazy-ass jewelry. The epitome of Ebony chic, baby.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 2:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:45
Group:
Registered Users
I've only lived here a little over a decade, but my mother is 2nd generation born and raised in JC and I can't wait to show her this thread! She loves to have me drive her around to some of her old "haunts" when she visits us. she's mentioned a "glowing mound" at the bottom of carteret ave, near one of the places she lived,. I told her it was a super fund sight and that it explains alot about her!

Posted on: 2009/9/30 1:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
A virtual tour of the Hudson Mall, BEFORE the building was "renovated" into it's current configuration:

Upon walking into the main entrance, I remember a hair cutting place on the left - "Foxy Locks" was the name, I believe. Actually, wait - I'm wrong - originally, it was, and get your "Holy Cow I Forgot All About That Place" button ready - Donut King! LOL HAHAHA!! With the giant donuts painted on the walls! LOL Next to that was the snack bar. I think it was just called "The Snack Bar," appropriately enough. LOL It might have been Pepino's. Maybe that name came later on, not sure. I think Indian Village has always been on the right side, as far as I can remember, but the configuration was different. They extended the entrance hallway during the "renovation" to fit some extra store fronts in there. Anyhow, there was also a Zales jeweler in the mall, as well.

Upon getting to the main corridor, I remember straight in front of you was a jeans store. LOL - I think it was actually called "The Jean Store." See, things were much simpler back then! The cool thing about that place was that they did iron-on T-shirts. They were like the only place around that did them back in the 70's, when that was like "hot, new technology." LOL I had a KISS (rock band) T-shirt printed there, but you could get anything, from the General Lee to the hot pin-up model of the day. They did lettering, as well.

Off to the right was the pretzel kiosk out in the middle of the floor, where they sold the soft, doughy, slated pretzels. Oddly enough, it was named, "Mr. Pretzel!" LOL I think the "Cookie Box" came some years later.

Do you remember that they had those large plastic boxes with trees planted in them?

Down the corridor to the left, there was the leather kiosk where they'd punch holes in your belt, put studs on stuff, or burn some designs into various leather goods. Down that side was the previously mentioned steak house, the Rodeo, and also a butcher shop. Was it "Fabulous Meat City," or am I crossing the name up with the place on City Line? The movie theatre was down there, too, back when it was called "Hudson Plaza Cinema" and they only had 2 screens. I saw the original Star Wars there as well as Jaws.

Opposite those store fronts was, and get this one - "DelFino's Sports World." There's a blast from the past! Of course, the JC staple, Wow Records (before turning into Wow Music some years later). There was also a plant store in that area. Nothing but live plants and shrubs.

Do you remember fishing in the Hudson Mall? They'd set up a giant swimming pool and fill it with trout and you'd pay a quarter to get a fishing rod baited with a single niblet of corn. I never saw anyone ever catch a fish. EVER. HAHAHA!!

They also used to have Halloween costume contests every year. Those were fun.

At one time they had the original Bat Mobile (from the TV show) on display and the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard TV show.

There have got to be tons more things from the Hudson Mall to recall... It actually used to be a really cool mall.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
How about Texas Weiners on Central Ave.....at night after they closed you could look in the window and see the cat sleeping on top of the grill where they cooked the hot dogs.
Also, Rags to Riches, hip clothier on top of the State theater, Sohls ice cream parlor on Central Ave. St Paul of the Cross dances. Hanging out at the st. Joes and St Paul's "courts". Liss luncheonette, Charles Men's Shop for bellbottoms, Wilray's on Grove for bellbottoms, The Magic Id Head Shop on Newark Ave. Humble Pie, Janis Joplin and Rod Stewart at The Stanley. John Mayall at the Loews.
World World III with Frankie Freak guitarist extrodinare.
Modern House of Records on Jackson Ave. for all the new R&B and Motown hits. Riding the PATH train to hang out on 8th St. in the village by Electric Ladyland. Haircuts at Paul MacGregor.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 22:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:

Holy Crap! Who are you! My husband thinks my family makes some of this stuff like the knife guy up. God, it would be great if he were still around, my knives are so dull..

You must be a West Side person or Greenville. Gino's was fabulous too, but my all time favorite Italian sandwich was a Dom's special from Dom's Dairy on Westside near teh Park Tavern - stinky cheeses in the window an all.

And I used to take the number 9 everywhere. By the eighties my sisters and I were calling it the rabble cart though............lol. Does anyone remember the Montgomery and Westside bus?

And I actually worked in that building by NJCU when it was, at one point, Martini Cleaners. Then it was MACs video - run by that guy named Mousy.

Thank you so much for those memories. I'm in JC memory mode so I just remembered the gypsy family who lived on Westside. They had a son with backwards feet, and his socks were always dragging behind him...Insane. If anyone remembers him and a kid named Gumpy Stanowski, I'll buy you dinner.

Greenville, close to West Side, 100%. Born, bred and raised. Still haven't escaped yet.

EVERYONE around here had a membership at Mac's Video (except me)! That was THE video store to belong to. All my friends used to go there.

Has the Montgomery/West Side bus gone under? It's been 20+ years since riding a bus for me. Do you remember when they went from the old, 60's style busses, with the oval windows and the whole thing, to the new (for that time) big, boxy white busses, with the giant red MW painted on the front? I never saw a kid with backward facing feet, though. Sorry on that one. I'm not sure if it might be the Gumpy person that you referred to, but I do remember a dude who used to come around once in a while who was a bit "off," maybe. Rumor had it that he knocked out his own teeth with a hammer. He was always dressed a little on the shabby side, and he wore a bandana on his head way before anyone else that I remember. His skin had a slight olive tone to it, he had blonde wispy hair, and (obviously) no teeth. Does this description remotely match the person you're referring to?

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The Flying "A" gas station on Henderson Street, (where Rascals was), with the gas pumps at the curb on Henderson Street, you just pulled up and they would "filler up", for about 20 cents per gallon.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
How about when the main county road was called Hudson Boulevard, and the buses that ran along it were the #1 from JSQ to Nunguessers, and the #5 for Nyc. Also when the Central Ave. bus was brown and it ran through the Western Slope in the Heights.

Oh yeah... smelliest busses of all time. I think that the Central Avenue line was privately owned and up until 1980 ran a few old busses that were built in the 1950's.

With all of this nostalgia, let's not forget that some Jersey City's Puritan laws and overt racism. My family had a brick thrown through our front window because we were the first Latino family in our neighborhood. The police also pulled my father out of a car in front of our home and beat him during a cold winter day. Pretty tough for a four year old son to watch.

"Coloreds" weren't allowed in my neighborhood. I thought my first name was "hey spic" and I also had to sprint home from Sunday school so the Irish and Italian kids wouldn't kick my Puerto Rican butt after we said our seven Hail Marys.

There were also wonderful people in my neighborhood who defended my family against thugs, and were very supportive when my dad lost his job in the 1960's. Despite some of the problems, everyone was on the front stoop of their homes and there was a real sense of involvement in the community. There was always one community leader who got the city to provide a bus for a day trip to the shore or Lake Hopatcong.

Strangely, years later, some of those same Irish and Italian kids who chased me home from Sunday school happen to be good friends of mine.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The pumps!

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
How about when the main county road was called Hudson Boulevard, and the buses that ran along it were the #1 from JSQ to Nunguessers, and the #5 for Nyc. Also when the Central Ave. bus was brown and it ran through the Western Slope in the Heights.

Oh yeah... smelliest busses of all time. I think that the Central Avenue line was privately owned and up until 1980 ran a few old busses that were built in the 1950's.

With all of this nostalgia, let's not forget that some Jersey City's Puritan laws and overt racism. My family had a brick thrown through our front window because we were the first Latino family in our neighborhood. The police also pulled my father out of a car in front of our home and beat him during a cold winter day. Pretty tough for a four year old son to watch.

"Coloreds" weren't allowed in my neighborhood. I thought my first name was "hey spic" and I also had to sprint home from Sunday school so the Irish and Italian kids wouldn't kick my Puerto Rican butt after we said our seven Hail Marys.

There were also wonderful people in my neighborhood who defended my family against thugs, and were very supportive when my dad lost his job in the 1960's. Despite some of the problems, everyone was on the front stoop of their homes and there was a real sense of involvement in the community. There was always one community leader who got the city to provide a bus for a day trip to the shore or Lake Hopatcong.

Strangely, years later, some of those same Irish and Italian kids who chased me home from Sunday school happen to be good friends of mine.

Do I dare ask why your father was beaten by the Cops in front of your home back in the day?

Whats the official reason?

Posted on: 2009/9/29 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Posted on: 2009/9/29 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/29 17:22

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017