Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
20 user(s) are online (10 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 20

more...



Tags: ''  

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




« 1 2 (3) 4 »


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/5 17:15
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Posts: 257
Offline
Violent crime would be cut way down if drugs were legal. Just sayin'.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 4:18
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/5/2 13:48
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Posts: 172
Offline
Change you can see!

Posted on: 2009/9/18 4:08
Top


Re: VVPA - Rally against crime on Wayne Street
#50
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/5/15 17:21
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 121
Offline
might be cool to have the meeting IN the park. no?

Posted on: 2009/9/18 2:58
Top


Re: VVPA - Rally against crime on Wayne Street
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/7/14 18:51
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 462
Offline
Quote:

New_to_JC wrote:
Van Vorst Park
Association



83 Wayne Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
www.vvpa.org


Attention VVPA Membership, Friends and Neighbors :


On the afternoon of Tuesday, September 15th, there was a shooting on Wayne Street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street. This block is home to St Matthew's Church, the Barrow Mansion, a playground as well as both single and multi-family residences . It is a block notorious for criminal and drug-related activity. This shooting happened at 3pm.


The police are aware of the problems with this block and have managed problems as they've arisen in the past. There are plans in discussion to improve the safety of the block including installing security cameras, increasing the height of the fences around the playground and locking the playground at night. As of yet, none of these strategies has been put into place.


Any shooting, especially those happening midday along a well-traveled street, should not go unrecognized. East District Captain Gallagher will be holding his monthly Captain's Meeting at PS 4 on Bright Street at 7pm this Tuesday, September 22. There will be a group gathering first in front of the playground on Wayne Street on Tuesday evening at 6:30pm. At 6:45pm, the group will then walk to the Captain's Meeting in a show of solidarity against this senseless and dangerous street violence.


You are encouraged to attend.


Thank you.
The VVPA
What will it take?

23 years I’ve lived two blocks from Wayne St. and this single block between Jersey and Barrow has had the reputation of being the most dangerous area in downtown.
Despite the efforts from community groups such as the VVPA, the Downtown JC Watch, and individual residents, drugs and violence continues.

Perhaps, it’s time we had a proactive police department rather than one that only responds when a crime occurs…this is only one block long! You can extrapolate this out to the entire city.

It’s not the park, not the Barrow Mansion, not the privately owned homes, not Subia’s, not law abiding tenants on this block…don’t you think the police might have figured out the source or a solution after all these years?

Please join the VVPA and your neighbors to make it perfectly clear to the East Precinct that 23 years of the same problem is inexcusable.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 2:45
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#48
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/1/30 5:45
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 102
Offline
I LAUGH, at the phrase " and Crime is Down". Not around here. What happened to hiring more cops. Is it a race between taxes and crime, to see which one can drive you out of the city first.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 2:11
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/12/18 20:51
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 181
Offline
This block of Wayne street has been notorious for ages. In my time here I have never seen an effort to clean up the criminal activity. This is not a priority for the police. They are of a mind we are crazy for living here. They did not want to believe the person who called them. Enough said.

Posted on: 2009/9/18 1:56
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#46
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/2/6 22:22
Last Login :
2009/10/5 13:03
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 4
Offline
Hope everyone can make the rally.

Van Vorst Park
Association



83 Wayne Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302
www.vvpa.org


Attention VVPA Membership, Friends and Neighbors :


On the afternoon of Tuesday, September 15th, there was a shooting on Wayne Street between Jersey Avenue and Barrow Street. This block is home to St Matthew's Church, the Barrow Mansion, a playground as well as both single and multi-family residences . It is a block notorious for criminal and drug-related activity. This shooting happened at 3pm.


The police are aware of the problems with this block and have managed problems as they've arisen in the past. There are plans in discussion to improve the safety of the block including installing security cameras, increasing the height of the fences around the playground and locking the playground at night. As of yet, none of these strategies has been put into place.


Any shooting, especially those happening midday along a well-traveled street, should not go unrecognized. East District Captain Gallagher will be holding his monthly Captain's Meeting at PS 4 on Bright Street at 7pm this Tuesday, September 22. There will be a group gathering first in front of the playground on Wayne Street on Tuesday evening at 6:30pm. At 6:45pm, the group will then walk to the Captain's Meeting in a show of solidarity against this senseless and dangerous street violence.


You are encouraged to attend.


Thank you.
The VVPA

Posted on: 2009/9/17 20:28
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/8/7 0:05
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Posts: 156
Offline
How does it work? The same way it works anywhere, they probably grew up together.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 20:04
As hard to handle as chopsticks.
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/10/23 18:47
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 860
Offline
Quote:

flying_the_flannel wrote:
Spend less time with the paper plates, graffiti, and quality of life issues, and more time trying to clean up this block, and you can do something about it. I've seen it done in Paterson.


If you clean up that block - specifically get rid of all the losers that hang out at that playground - I suspect many of the quality-of-life problems, like litter, will also be greatly diminished as well. Ideologically, I've always favored parks and playgrounds over real-estate development, but in this case, I'll make an exception.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 20:03
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#43
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/28 15:05
Last Login :
2014/3/26 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 27
Offline
Here! Here! I worked tirelessly last year with Captain Mcdonough and had 23 people arrested in the park. I pay way too much in property taxes for people to continuously look the other way. I don't think the cops are scared...but there are a couple of them that are actually BFF's with the gang members...hmmm...wonder how that works.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 20:01
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#42
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/28 15:05
Last Login :
2014/3/26 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 27
Offline
the answer is...it's both. There is a gang (they wear red baseball hats) that deal drugs in the Barrow Park. They have various runners that either walk or ride bikes over from the projects, which creates issues for Wayne St down to Varick..since that's how the runners pass through.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 19:55
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/7/3 21:40
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Posts: 181
Offline
I think that was after the busted the Mini Mart at 80 Wayne. There were 30 dudes packed in there betting on something or other.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _bust_in_jersey_city.html

Isn't there a big development going in the old parking lot there? I wonder if the developer will have some pull to get the cops caring.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 15:44
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/9/20 14:11
Last Login :
2/21 17:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 894
Offline
Yeah, it lasted a week, maybe two.

Quote:

caps wrote:
wasn't there a police presence there for a while after some raid they did a year or so ago.. i assume that just faded out after time?

Posted on: 2009/9/17 15:14
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/8/7 0:05
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Posts: 156
Offline
Spend less time with the paper plates, graffiti, and quality of life issues, and more time trying to clean up this block, and you can do something about it. I've seen it done in Paterson.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 14:35
As hard to handle as chopsticks.
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/3/21 21:42
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 158
Offline
wasn't there a police presence there for a while after some raid they did a year or so ago.. i assume that just faded out after time?

Posted on: 2009/9/17 14:27
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#37
Newbie
Newbie


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/7/14 20:24
Last Login :
2012/1/20 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3
Offline
I used to live next door to that awful playground for several year, but just moved a few weeks ago (a couple clocks away) to get away from the crime. I've seen a lot of crap do down there, and I'm honestly surprised that this didn't happen sooner. From fights in the middle of the night, to the dealers selling right in the open, to the windows on my front door being broken, to all the little "baggies" I used to see in the morning, I'm glad to be away from all of that. That playground is disgusting and its very sad to see that the dealers allow their girlfriends and their children to call it their second home. Those kids don't have a chance to get out of that lifestyle. I really hope that the police pay more attention to that block. When people in my bldg or I would call the police, they would show up, break up whatever was going on and be on their way 5 minutes later so it could all start again. I consider that block between Jersey and Barrow a lost cause. The dealers have won there. (They pushed me and my roommate out!)

Posted on: 2009/9/17 14:05
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/5/2 13:48
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Posts: 172
Offline
Quote:

regulator wrote:
^i guess the only solace is that there's not some psycho killer on the loose on wayne street (or if there is, he hasn't presented himself yet). it sounds instead like one guy out to get another specific guy, as opposed to random acts of violence, which will terrify young mothers to no end.

although, as was seen recently in newark (i think a week or 2 ago) where a young child was shot amidst crossfire between 2 parties, many times innocents do get hurt, even if they're not the targets.


At 3:00 in the afternoon, there are many innocent people walking by. This nonsense about NA across the street is ridiculous. I'll bet you if you (could) poll the people actually selling the drugs in that playground, they couldn't give a rats ass about the NA meetings. Just like a liquor store doesn't stay open for an AA coin. Myth or not. This was a beef between 2 parties (1 or more per side) and that's that. I don't know what race they were, what they may have disagreed over, but BULLETS WERE FIRED! At 3:00 in BROAD DAYLIGHT! Honestly, I don't care if they were arguing over an Uno game, and if they were black, red, green yellow, purple of a mix of every color on the planet. STOP SHOOTING GUNS ON THE BLOCK!!!! The cops don't care because they're more scared than the residents. That's a fact. I'm not so sure I blame them either! What I'm miffed about is that for the most part, the entire VVP area is mostly pretty sane and civil. Who is continually paying off people to the look the other way? Is it M. Vega who lives on Mercer St.???

Posted on: 2009/9/17 4:52
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/11/1 23:31
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Posts: 428
Offline
^i guess the only solace is that there's not some psycho killer on the loose on wayne street (or if there is, he hasn't presented himself yet). it sounds instead like one guy out to get another specific guy, as opposed to random acts of violence, which will terrify young mothers to no end.

although, as was seen recently in newark (i think a week or 2 ago) where a young child was shot amidst crossfire between 2 parties, many times innocents do get hurt, even if they're not the targets.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 2:01
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#34
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/3/18 18:36
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 81
Offline
While still waiting for any word in the local paper (on Tuesday's shooting), anecdotal assurance was shared by JCPD brass (at a non-Downtown community meeting) that the police are progressing rapidly with their investigation.

TBD if this provides actual solace, but the JCPD brass said that Tuesday's gun violence was between the two individuals, the shooter and the victim. [Does this mean, in other words, that Wayne Street residents should feel comforted by the accuracy of the armed perp?]

Just thought the thread deserved some current (and relevant) information...

Posted on: 2009/9/17 1:37
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/11/8 20:49
Last Login :
12/12 8:06
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 832
Offline
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
As ridiculous as you may think that is, it is the truth. The N.A. meetings across the street is one of the main reasons that block is so profitable to drug dealers. And I know where Ferris is, it is a short 3 block walk up Wayne to get there from the playground. I didn't know that is considered far now.


It is ridiculous. Do you have actual proof that this scenario happens? I have never, not once seen a meeting let out and watched someone cross the street to buy drugs in my entire 10 years of living here. Wouldn't you think someone that is in NA with a bunch of other people would maybe not let out and go directly across the street to buy drugs? This whole "setting up shop across from NA meetings" is a new one to me. Aren't there other NA meetings in this town? I highly doubt there is high drug activity around there. This theory is complete nonsense. Spend some time around there. You'll see a constant stream of people pulling up, double parking, then leaving. Anyone know where there's a big AA meeting. I'd like to open up a liquor warehouse right next door.

See I never said the people of the NA meetings go directly across the street when it lets out. They do however see and know what goes on across the street. When they have a weak moment they know exactly where to go and who to go to from what they see. Look up statistics on NA and AA it has very low success rate, most will relapse and that is a fact. Of course they wouldn't cross the street in front of their group but if they thought of relapsing is in his/her head already they will simply circle the block when the group leaves or go during a meeting when they are all inside. Yes their are other NA meetings in town and you are wrong again most of those meeting are near a notorious drug spot/corner or area. Check it out for yourself http://www.narcoticsanonymousnj.org/meetings/radius5.asp . Your joke about the liquor warehouse shows how unaware you are to how some people are more concerned about money then anything. I am guessing then you never heard some bars accept AA chips for a free beer. Why is this, they know when someone relapses they will have good customers off that free beer since they are an alcoholic and wont leave until they spend every dollar.

This is not a theory it is a fact maybe you are misunderstanding me and you think I am saying that is the only reason drugs are sold there. That is not what I am saying, I am saying that is one of the reasons it is so open and so much more drugs get sold there. I had family that lived on that block and this is how I know these things. I have been in that park before and have heard the dealers brag about how much they make off the people across the street when they relapse. I have also witnessed the older dealers say they got a call from an old high school friend on the police force that gave them a heads up they were going to shut the park down that day and that everyone should leave if they got drugs or warrants until they leave. Fifteen minutes later 3 squad cars came by and all the dealers had left already. My family does not live their anymore so I haven't been there since but since I was a young kid that grew up in Downtown, Wayne has been the same for the most part.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 23:19
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/5/2 13:48
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Posts: 172
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
As ridiculous as you may think that is, it is the truth. The N.A. meetings across the street is one of the main reasons that block is so profitable to drug dealers. And I know where Ferris is, it is a short 3 block walk up Wayne to get there from the playground. I didn't know that is considered far now.


It is ridiculous. Do you have actual proof that this scenario happens? I have never, not once seen a meeting let out and watched someone cross the street to buy drugs in my entire 10 years of living here. Wouldn't you think someone that is in NA with a bunch of other people would maybe not let out and go directly across the street to buy drugs? This whole "setting up shop across from NA meetings" is a new one to me. Aren't there other NA meetings in this town? I highly doubt there is high drug activity around there. This theory is complete nonsense. Spend some time around there. You'll see a constant stream of people pulling up, double parking, then leaving. Anyone know where there's a big AA meeting. I'd like to open up a liquor warehouse right next door.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 21:27
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/11/8 20:49
Last Login :
12/12 8:06
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 832
Offline
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
The reason Wayne is a drug hot spot is because of its location just like most of the major drug spots. That is also the reason it would be so hard to get rid of. One of the main reasons it is a prime location to drug dealers is it is directly across the street from the Narcotics Anonymous meetings that are held in Barrow Mansion. Many drug addicts will eventually relapse while trying to stay clean and by dealing drugs across from this building it makes them more money because they will know where to go if that time comes. Now add in the fact Ferris is a few blocks away, it is surrounded by major streets that make it easier to drive there to get your drugs and leave. Not to mention how close a walk it would be to the nearest bus, Path train or Light Rail. Then you have every type of customer from the poor drug addicts to the upper class addicts with disposable incomes because this block surounded by every type of addict. It is nothing more then prime drug real estate.

I am curious though if this was drug related or gang related. I do not know if many of you are aware but there is currently a gang war going on in this city and Downtown has some of the gangs that are at war.


I think that's absolutely ridiculous. No one is dealing drugs there because NA is across the street. And Ferris is all the way down Montgomery, practically under the turnpike. It is a playground that is very "deep" and goes all the way to the back of the houses on Columbus. There are plenty of places to hide, you can loiter there all day, drink, etc etc. No one cop on foot is going to go up to a group of 15 people there. I've seen it happen time and time again. There is also a "core" group that hangs out on that block. For the most part, they are harmless, but I have noticed an awful lot of unfamiliar faces hanging around. Whether they are new, or just coming from elsewhere to buy drugs, hang out, shoot people or what, I don't know.

As ridiculous as you may think that is, it is the truth. The N.A. meetings across the street is one of the main reasons that block is so profitable to drug dealers. And I know where Ferris is, it is a short 3 block walk up Wayne to get there from the playground. I didn't know that is considered far now.

I agree the park is a plus for them, but even if it was filled in with apartments the dealers would not just disappear. They would just sell in front of the buildings.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 21:01
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2008/10/15 20:21
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 375
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I do not know if many of you are aware but there is currently a gang war going on in this city and Downtown has some of the gangs that are at war.


Can you expand here or in another thread about this gang war?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:41
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/5/2 13:48
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Posts: 172
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
The reason Wayne is a drug hot spot is because of its location just like most of the major drug spots. That is also the reason it would be so hard to get rid of. One of the main reasons it is a prime location to drug dealers is it is directly across the street from the Narcotics Anonymous meetings that are held in Barrow Mansion. Many drug addicts will eventually relapse while trying to stay clean and by dealing drugs across from this building it makes them more money because they will know where to go if that time comes. Now add in the fact Ferris is a few blocks away, it is surrounded by major streets that make it easier to drive there to get your drugs and leave. Not to mention how close a walk it would be to the nearest bus, Path train or Light Rail. Then you have every type of customer from the poor drug addicts to the upper class addicts with disposable incomes because this block surounded by every type of addict. It is nothing more then prime drug real estate.

I am curious though if this was drug related or gang related. I do not know if many of you are aware but there is currently a gang war going on in this city and Downtown has some of the gangs that are at war.


I think that's absolutely ridiculous. No one is dealing drugs there because NA is across the street. And Ferris is all the way down Montgomery, practically under the turnpike. It is a playground that is very "deep" and goes all the way to the back of the houses on Columbus. There are plenty of places to hide, you can loiter there all day, drink, etc etc. No one cop on foot is going to go up to a group of 15 people there. I've seen it happen time and time again. There is also a "core" group that hangs out on that block. For the most part, they are harmless, but I have noticed an awful lot of unfamiliar faces hanging around. Whether they are new, or just coming from elsewhere to buy drugs, hang out, shoot people or what, I don't know.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:36
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/10/4 22:11
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 485
Offline
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
I am curious though if this was drug related or gang related. I do not know if many of you are aware but there is currently a gang war going on in this city and Downtown has some of the gangs that are at war.


I think from reading about all of the shootings etc in the city, I've surmised that there is heightened gang activity that started this summer. I haven't really heard anything else...

In any event, after reading all of these posts, I may be taking myself and my children to the playgrounds at Newport for the time being. The 3 pm shooting is a little too close to the times we are in the area. This is very frightening.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:35
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2006/11/8 20:49
Last Login :
12/12 8:06
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 832
Offline
The reason Wayne is a drug hot spot is because of its location just like most of the major drug spots. That is also the reason it would be so hard to get rid of. One of the main reasons it is a prime location to drug dealers is it is directly across the street from the Narcotics Anonymous meetings that are held in Barrow Mansion. Many drug addicts will eventually relapse while trying to stay clean and by dealing drugs across from this building it makes them more money because they will know where to go if that time comes. Now add in the fact Ferris is a few blocks away, it is surrounded by major streets that make it easier to drive there to get your drugs and leave. Not to mention how close a walk it would be to the nearest bus, Path train or Light Rail. Then you have every type of customer from the poor drug addicts to the upper class addicts with disposable incomes because this block surounded by every type of addict. It is nothing more then prime drug real estate.

I am curious though if this was drug related or gang related. I do not know if many of you are aware but there is currently a gang war going on in this city and Downtown has some of the gangs that are at war.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:27
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2005/9/20 14:11
Last Login :
2/21 17:11
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 894
Offline
Quote:

ripple wrote:

3. Is there something different about the property on this block of Wayne Street? Is the living higher density than in the surrounding blocks? Is the rent significantly cheaper? Are people operating illegal apartments and cramming folks into them? Or is just a combination of historical circumstances that this block ended up being dangerous?



The park itself/double parking/lack of police presence/apts above the drug store on the corner are why this block is dangerous.

If you make two or even one of the above things go away, I feel there would be a noticeable improvement.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 20:01
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2007/1/28 22:55
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 338
Offline
OK, we agree that race/ethnicity is too broad a category to account for the bad behavior of (some) of the people on Wayne street.

As a relatively short-term resident of the area, I have a few questions:

1. Are the people who cause most of the problems people who live on the block, or do they travel to the area from elsewhere in Jersey City?

2. Do the people who cause most of the problems have *any* sort of demographic distinction (aside from race/ethnicity, which is moot here)? Gang membership? Poverty? Joblessness? If they're unemployed, how are they paying rent?

3. Is there something different about the property on this block of Wayne Street? Is the living higher density than in the surrounding blocks? Is the rent significantly cheaper? Are people operating illegal apartments and cramming folks into them? Or is just a combination of historical circumstances that this block ended up being dangerous?

Quote:

designknob wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out where the "hispanics vs. whites" came into this discussion. If you go to Enos Jones park on Brunswick, there are tons of hispanic people there and never any trouble. If you go to just about any other park/playground around here, you'll find people of all races/colors and there doesn't seem to be bullets flying. I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. YOU assumed it was racist blogcity. No one else did. It takes one to know one. Think about it.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 19:29
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined :
2004/5/2 13:48
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Posts: 172
Offline
I'm still trying to figure out where the "hispanics vs. whites" came into this discussion. If you go to Enos Jones park on Brunswick, there are tons of hispanic people there and never any trouble. If you go to just about any other park/playground around here, you'll find people of all races/colors and there doesn't seem to be bullets flying. I think this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. YOU assumed it was racist blogcity. No one else did. It takes one to know one. Think about it.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:21
Top


Re: Van Vorst Shooting on Wayne Street
#23
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined :
2009/5/15 17:21
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 121
Offline
Stop it. You're making me blush. : )

Here's some more fodder for the anti-Fulop conspiracy theorists:

http://blogcityblog.com/

Posted on: 2009/9/16 17:43
Top




« 1 2 (3) 4 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017