Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Woman bitten by large dog in Van Vorst Park 9/11//09
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/30 14:07
Group:
Registered Users
in most cases, a loud yell or even a kick will be sufficient. trying to stab a dog is asking for trouble.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 15:33

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/21 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
I would have followed the owner while calling the police on my cell phone depending on the condition of my arm.
I walk by Van Vorst Park weekly on my way to Pathmark and I always see dogs off the leash.

Once, I was on the York St side of the park and this dog ran out of the park on to the sidewalk and proceeded to bark and lunge at me in a vicious manner. I yelled out \"come get this dog\". I then hear women call to the dog. The dog did not respond at all. She then casually walks over while her dog is still barking and lunging at me. I told her \"get this dog away from me\". She said \"Im trying\", I replied, \"you?re not trying hard enough\". She kept calling the dogs name and whistling. This dog would not back off. Finally, she walks over and puts the leash on the dog and dragged the dog away from me.

I told her since her dog is not trained and does not respond to her commands, she should not take the dog off the leash.

From that day on, I always keep a pocket knife with me if I walk the streets. If this situation arises again I will be prepared.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Like I said, if you really want to go through the pain and cost of treatment, have at it. It's your life. Sorry I called you hysterical.

Did you get the full rabies treatment for your previous bites?

Hell NO. I was young and did not know any better. If it happened today, i would. BTW... I never had rabies.

Posted on: 2009/9/17 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Perhaps the woman who was in pain and bleeding, was bit distracted to chase after someone who was running away?
That?s exactly what happened. After the initial shock of being bit, when she realized this woman was starting to run, the victim did try to follow her but was unable to see where the woman had gone.

My purpose of posting was to be able to identity the woman who has evaded her responsibility as a dog owner and decent human being, not to debate the value of getting rabies shots after being bitten by an aggressive dog.

I hope someone on this board has called the police with such information.

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the woman who was in pain and bleeding, was bit distracted to chase after someone who was running away?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Thats easier said than done. I don't know if the victim was really thinking that straight after being bitten by a dog. It probably all happened in less than a minute.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 17:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
This story is just weird anyway. Why would anyone, after getting bit by a dog, let the owner just walk away?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
what do they say, "a human's mouth is dirtier than a dog's mouth"??

Posted on: 2009/9/16 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Dog bit somebody, but it's no killer, GeeDubs.

While I do believe rabies shots are a bit over the top, the bite should be treated and if you'll sleep better at night, go for the rabies shots.

And no more talking about Cannibal Corpse, please. Napalm Death or bust.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 15:43
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Like I said, if you really want to go through the pain and cost of treatment, have at it. It's your life. Sorry I called you hysterical.

Did you get the full rabies treatment for your previous bites?

Posted on: 2009/9/16 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
As > %50 of the population is infected with some form of STD, protection is totally reasonable. So no, it's nothing like that. It would be more akin to going on an anti-viral cocktail just because your condom broke.

I missed that 1908 post before. I think you made my point on the rarity issue.

Right on Croft. It's not the trip to the hospital or antibiotics I take issue with. Antiobiotics are given for bacteria from the bite and are cheap and easy. But rabies is a virus and requires very expensive treatment over the course of 4 weeks. I just don't think that needed in a case like this despite whatever hysterics jcnight is advocating. Racoon, yes. Leashed dog, no.

For the record, I was bit a few times back when I walked rescue dogs. So I do practice what I preach here.

I am not advocating hysterics. I am a dog owner my self and have been bitten both by rescue and strays on numerous occations through out my life. What i am saying is: In this case the owner/walker walked away so there is the essence of the unknown. Why take a chance even if that chance is low? I am willing to gamble at alot of things but not with my health, and life. It is a hard call. By no means is that "hysterics". It is a simple decision based on fact.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Chances are the dog doesn't have rabies. Heavily, heavily weighted chances at that.

In 1908 I'd imagine JC had a problem with stray dogs. In developing countries where dogs roam through urban environments, transmission of rabies to humans from dogs is understandably much more common.

Having said that- It is a horrible, horrible way to die by all accounts, and in recorded medical history there have only been one or two survivors of rabies that were untreated before becoming symptomatic.

In the end you get one of two flavors of rabies- the lame "paralytic rabies", which is exactly what it sounds like, or the much more awesome, Slayer-song-title-worthy "Furious Rabies", which also is exactly what it sounds like.

In fact, that's a great name for a band. Hmmm.....

I'm pasting below the CDC's recommendation for what to do if the neighborhood pets assault you. You're supposed to put the animal in quarantine for 10 days & see if it either gets paralyzed, or, more awesomely, loses its shit completely.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be an option here since the owner of this crazed killer escaped to plan her next assault, so the victim needs to either get the treatment OR prepare to possibly be the opening act for Cannibal Corpse on the Fall leg of their club tour.

What happens if a neighborhood dog or cat bites me?

You should seek medical evaluation for any animal bite. However, rabies is uncommon in dogs, cats, and ferrets in the United States. Very few bites by these animals carry a risk of rabies. If the cat (or dog or ferret) appeared healthy at the time you were bitten, it can be confined by its owner for 10 days and observed. No anti-rabies prophylaxis is needed. No person in the United States has ever contracted rabies from a dog, cat or ferret held in quarantine for 10 days.

If a dog, cat, or ferret appeared ill at the time it bit you or becomes ill during the 10 day quarantine, it should be evaluated by a veterinarian for signs of rabies and you should seek medical advice about the need for anti-rabies prophylaxis.

The quarantine period is a precaution against the remote possibility that an animal may appear healthy, but actually be sick with rabies. To understand this statement, you have to understand a few things about the pathogenesis of rabies (the way the rabies virus affects the animal it infects). From numerous studies conducted on rabid dogs, cats, and ferrets, we know that rabies virus inoculated into a muscle travels from the site of the inoculation to the brain by moving within nerves. The animal does not appear ill during this time, which is called the incubation period and which may last for weeks to months. A bite by the animal during the incubation period does not carry a risk of rabies because the virus is not in saliva. Only late in the disease, after the virus has reached the brain and multiplied there to cause an encephalitis (or inflammation of the brain), does the virus move from the brain to the salivary glands and saliva. Also at this time, after the virus has multiplied in the brain, almost all animals begin to show the first signs of rabies. Most of these signs are obvious to even an untrained observer, but within a short period of time, usually within 3 to 5 days, the virus has caused enough damage to the brain that the animal begins to show unmistakable signs of rabies. As an added precaution, the quarantine period is lengthened to 10 days.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pooper wrote:
As > %50 of the population is infected with some form of STD, protection is totally reasonable. So no, it's nothing like that. It would be more akin to going on an anti-viral cocktail just because your condom broke.

Right on Croft. It's not the trip to the hospital or antibiotics I take issue with. Antiobiotics are given for bacteria from the bite and are cheap and easy. But rabies is a virus and requires very expensive treatment over the course of 4 weeks. I just don't think that needed in a case like this despite whatever hysterics jcnight is advocating. Racoon, yes. Leashed dog, no.

For the record, I was bit a few times back when I walked rescue dogs. So I do practice what I preach here.

Tough call. I'd hate myself for not taking all precautions and then getting some illness from it, even worse if it was someone I loved. I know there was a warning on wild rabid animals in the area last year near LSP (can't remember where the warning was). When someone runs off like that, so they aren't working with a stand up ethics system to begin with - it's hard not to take precautions. I'd be terribly hurt reading the posts that I was being an alarmist if I was the one bit in an unprovoked attack and took the precautions recommended to me.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/9/16 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Well yeah, that would totally explain why I didn't present it as a fact. You really cleared that up.

However, the fact is that you're chances of tripping over that dog and cracking your skull is probably better than you getting rabies from it.

Maybe we should shoot the dog and autopsy it's brain just to make sure though. Think of the children!

Right. kinda like haveing sex with a stranger with out protection. You go ahead and take that chance.
DELETE...

Croft, I agree with you, but then again you are a logical human being

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Despite the unlikeliness that this dog has Rabies, there is a high possibility that the wound can result in infection, so a trip to the hospital, a dose of IV antibiotics, and pills to take for at least 10 days is usually normal routine. Rabies medication in that case is just a preventative. You'd be surprised how many people have their dogs vaccinated when they first get them, but don't keep them up to date with yearly vaccinations and Rabies boosters. There are low cost options out there, but unfortunately a lot of people don't know about the importance of keeping their animals up to date, no matter how well kept their dogs appear to be. Infection can happen just from any puncture wound. I wouldn't call it being dramatic to go to the hospital for a puncture wound like that, just cautious and smart.

As a dog walker I always require my clients to show their vaccination records and tags whether or not the dogs wear them on a daily basis. It's just a cautious effort at best. As a dog owner, I try my best to keep people from interacting with my dog and my clients dogs while walking. I feel for any person who's been attacked by a dog as I've been attacked by a lot of dogs in the past unprovoked, but it is something that happens and the owner of the dog should have been responsible and come back or at least given some sort of contact information so that their dog could be quarantined and proper procedures could be followed. Hopefully someone will come forward at least.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Well yeah, that would totally explain why I didn't present it as a fact. You really cleared that up.

However, the fact is that you're chances of tripping over that dog and cracking your skull is probably better than you getting rabies from it.

Maybe we should shoot the dog and autopsy it's brain just to make sure though. Think of the children!

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Yes, I know rabies actually exists. Thanks.

Point is this was a leashed dog. It's likely vaccinated and well cared for. Now how many people do you really think get rabies from dog bites in this country? You probably have a better chance of dieing from, well, just about anything.

But hey, if you want to spend the next month going to the doc and getting shots, go for it.

not all dogs are leashed 100% of the time. Alot of people leave their dogs in their small backyards during the day, especially in the summer. the fact that it is "likely vaccinated and well cared for" is a non fact when you mention the word LIKELY.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
there have been plenty of racoons testing positive for rabies in jersey city. It could/and has happened.
I would not take the chance.

A boy died beacuse he was bitten by a rabid dog in a jersey city hospital, i think 1908.. History tends to repeat itself. whatever.

BOY, BITTEN BY DOG, DIES FROM RABIES; Parents Take Him to the Pasteur Institute, but Are Too Late. SURGEON IN PERIL, TOO Saliva from the Patient Gets in Cut on His Hand and He Takes Treatment.

July 22, 1908, Wednesday

Page 1, 1187 words

Believing, as they say, that their nine-year-old son, Henry Luttman, was in no danger of contracting hydrophobia from a dog bite on his cheek, Arend Luttman and his wife of Jersey City saw their boy develop the disease in a violent form last Sunday and die of it in the Jersey City Hospital within forty-eight hours. [ END OF FIRST PARAGRAPH ]

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Yes, I know rabies actually exists. Thanks.

Point is this was a leashed dog. It's likely vaccinated and well cared for. Now how many people do you really think get rabies from dog bites in this country? You probably have a better chance of dieing from, well, just about anything.

But hey, if you want to spend the next month going to the doc and getting shots, go for it.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There is wildlife in Jersey City coming from Liberty State Park. I have seen possums, rabbits, raccoons, and wild turkeys in LSP and I have also seen possums and raccons near Van Vorst Park. Wildlife could be infected with rabies which means it is possible to transmit that infection to dogs and cats. There are many children in the park, it is frightening this could happen.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
I can't believe I find myself agreeing with GnomeGeneral.

Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Aw come on, rabies shots? WTF are the chances that this dog has rabies, what a pansy.

Are both of you serious?!?

Because we've never had any rabid animals in JC, and no one's pet could have come in contact with these non- existent rabid animals. And by contact I mean scratched or bitten and not just breezing by one another.

And unprovoked aggression, if this is actually the case, I guess is not one of the symptoms of rabies.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 1:19
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:

[quote]
GnomeGeneral wrote:
Aw come on, rabies shots? WTF are the chances that this dog has rabies, what a pansy.
[\quote]

Are both of you serious?!?

Because we've never had any rabid animals in JC, and no one's pet could have come in contact with these non- existent rabid animals. And by contact I mean scratched or bitten and not just breezing by one another.

And unprovoked aggression, if this is actually the case, I guess is not one of the symptoms of rabies.

Posted on: 2009/9/16 1:19
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/9/15 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

are you being sarcastic, retarded, or both? an unknown dog bites someone - breaking skin, and you think the victim is being a "pansy" for protecting herself against possible rabies?

----------------------------

and why does everyone think the person must have provoked the dog? does an animal really need a reason to attack?

I hope they find this dog owner and throw the scumbag in jail, running away like that.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Do we know that the dog was off-leash or did the owner just lose control?

Both- the dog was on-leash.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Do we know that the dog was off-leash or did the owner just lose control?

Dying to know more about this -- why on earth would the dog just lunge and bite? I know you don't know, Parkman, but I am very curious.

At this time of day the park is a toddler booby trap (I mean that in the nicest way possible) so this could have been even scarier.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Scary! I was right around there at about that time but must have just missed it.

Any idea what provoked the "attack?"
The victim said she was just walking home from work, through the park, when the dog lunged at her.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/15 21:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017