Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Anti-Gay laws still on the books in Jersey City - no gay bars allowed?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Straight--been there twice. Was treated well and woke up at home with all my money

Posted on: 2009/9/1 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
From a business point of view, think of a restaurant.

Is an Italian restaurant discriminating against people who don't like Italian food? No. The owners either thought there is there is no good italian food in the neighborhood, or there wasn't one, or an area where people for for Italian. In any case they had a reason to think it would do well. Having a speciality can, or know for something can increase business.

I am straight (not that there's anything wrong with it), and have been in the Star Bar once with a gay friend, and they were very nice.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Just like we don't have any white people bars or tall people bars. Every bar in JC should be open to any one.

Talk about diversity, but then request segregation...?

Please show me the sign on Star Bar which informs any demographic that they are not welcome.

Every bar in JC is open to anyone. (Except for Zeppelin Hall, with their shady list of "rules".)

Posted on: 2009/9/1 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Just like we don't have any white people bars or tall people bars. Every bar in JC should be open to any one.

Talk about diversity, but then request segregation...?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 14:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Gay is totally fine, but "chic" like "the West Village, Chelsea and East Village."
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Posted on: 2009/9/1 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
I rather have Gay Bars it somewhat brings chic and cool atmosphere to the area like the West Village, Chelsea and East Village.

Gentlemen's Club bring in corruption and seedy atmosphere like the old Times Square.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 3:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
are there any gentlemen in JC? : )

Posted on: 2009/8/31 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Is there a JC law against "Gentlemen's Clubs"?

Posted on: 2009/8/31 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
They finally came out of the closet? Good for them.

Uncle Joe's (RIP) was a huge gay bar before being reborn as a rock venue. Not sure if they changed due to financial challenges or just a change of heart, but that space was huge.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Star Bar under its new owner is no longer shady about not wanting to call itself a gay bar. The postcards they were handing out this weekend pretty clearly stated "Jersey City's Only Gay Owned and Operated Bar." Star Bar (now at least) calls itself a gay bar as much as any gay bar in NYC does.

Their website is pretty cool, too. http://gostarbar.com/

Nice hatchet-job in post #1, too. Well done.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.

Unless the passing occurs in a "residential" or "business" area, which in this state leaves the pine barrens.

Quote:
It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.

While committing several types of violent crime including rape, murder and robbery. It means a separate crime, an additional charge and longer sentence.

I don't think that's dumb.

Quote:
It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

It is against the law to ?frown? at a police officer.

If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.

You may not slurp your soup.

No citations for those "laws," so I wonder . . . .

Posted on: 2009/8/31 3:38
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/new-jersey

New Jersey Laws

It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.

All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.

It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

It is against the law to ?frown? at a police officer.

If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.

Car dealerships are forbidden from opening on Sunday.

You may not slurp your soup.

Automobiles are not to pass horse drawn carriages on the street.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 1:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i actually wrote a piece on this for the JC Reporter more than 10 years ago. when the city (under schundler) was forcing anyone who wanted to have a live band in their joint to get an "entertainment license." Upon reading the ordinance, (originally written when dinosaurs roamed the earth apparantly) we found that it contained specific prohibitions agains "homosexuals" and "men dressed as women" with "intention to deceive." (women, evidently, were allowed to dress as men with the same intent.)
the story caused an uproar, including national media. As i recall, the ordinance was re-written to remove the "restrictions" and passed (unanimously, i think) by the council. now we're all free to dress as girls and boys, and dance, dance, dance, in Chilltown ...

Posted on: 2009/8/30 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
It's unlikely a gay bar would do particularly well in Jersey City. While there is an apparent gay population here that population is probably not big enough to support a gay bar or club. Keep in mind that not all gays like going to bars. Also, many if not most would frequent the bars in NYC which is just PATH ride away. Additionally, bars and clubs are less likely to be exclusively gay in such a small town, as it would be illegal to restrict patronage to gays only and the sentiments towards gay, particularly in places like JC have changed for the better. This would likely result in many straights going to the bar.

While Star Bar may not out right say they are a gay bar, (and I am not intimately familiar with their branding), it is commonly known as a gay bar in town. Though many straight people go there. Quote:

Robocub wrote:
While I was doing some volunteer work at the JC LGBT Pride festival on Saturday August 29th, I had been asking many people why there are no gay bars in JC. There is of course Star Bar but they don't call themselves a gay bar specifically, but a bar open to all people (as any bar should be). But of course we all like to frequent our favorite watering holes that cater to specific groups for the sheer comfort factor alone.

Anyway, during my query, I was told that there are still anti-gay laws on the books in JC that specifically prohibit "gay" bars from calling themselves a gay bar or even existing. I was also told that while Mayor Healy pretends to be a friend of the gay community, he actually has not done anything to repeal these antique anti-gay laws and has no intention of doing so. I don't doubt this at all personally.

So I was wondering if anyone who is more knowledgeable about this issue might chime in and enlighten me. I was quite disgusted to find this information out. It just seems so archaic and asinine. I would be more than happy to be informed that I was misinformed but I want to know the facts.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not familiar with this particular law, but it sounds unlikely to be real. Even if it exists it could never be enforced. It would violate state law. Sometimes, old statutes are left on the books even though they are unenforceable due to court decisions or subsequent laws.

Of course I'm not really sure what you are looking for. A gay bar that was not officially a bar open to all people would itself violate state human rights laws.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 20:30
I live by the river.

Anti-Gay laws still on the books in Jersey City - no gay bars allowed?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/29 11:21
From Jersey City, Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
While I was doing some volunteer work at the JC LGBT Pride festival on Saturday August 29th, I had been asking many people why there are no gay bars in JC. There is of course Star Bar but they don't call themselves a gay bar specifically, but a bar open to all people (as any bar should be). But of course we all like to frequent our favorite watering holes that cater to specific groups for the sheer comfort factor alone.

Anyway, during my query, I was told that there are still anti-gay laws on the books in JC that specifically prohibit "gay" bars from calling themselves a gay bar or even existing. I was also told that while Mayor Healy pretends to be a friend of the gay community, he actually has not done anything to repeal these antique anti-gay laws and has no intention of doing so. I don't doubt this at all personally.

So I was wondering if anyone who is more knowledgeable about this issue might chime in and enlighten me. I was quite disgusted to find this information out. It just seems so archaic and asinine. I would be more than happy to be informed that I was misinformed but I want to know the facts.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 19:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017