Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Con men back in town
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
This is why I don't talk to people.

Gotta hate those conspiracies.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
When I worked at a used bookstore in LA a guy came in dressed as a priest and asked for money. I decided that anyone with that good of a scam deserved a few dollars.

Posted on: 2009/9/2 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Best line, "You are out of gas? Here, let me phone the local police. They are extremely helpful in these parts and come right away."

Posted on: 2009/9/2 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Same Story, different guy (fifties, African-American) in Newport Parking lot about a year and a half ago. Had a security uniform on and said he worked for Sears, and was out of gas. Something seemed shady the way he asked - just a feeling. I said I had no cash and since he worked at Sears he could probably borrow from a fellow worker. Said he didn't feel like walking back.

Two days later I saw him trying it on someone else. I yelled something like "If he's asking for money, he did it to me the other day." The person walked away. Haven't seen him since.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/11 4:07
Group:
Registered Users
Yep, i gave this guy a buck. The "Security" shirt was pretty dirty and he definitely looks like a hobo. He was pretty annoying, so I figured it's easier to give him something. Guess next time i'll refer him to the cops (or the cops to him).

Posted on: 2009/9/1 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
How can they be back so soon, 16 were just arrested. This must be a new group !

Posted on: 2009/9/1 12:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexanderHamilton wrote:
The guy I see every year is white, 5ft 10", rectangular metal framed glasses, blondish curly hair - getting a little thick - 230lbs.

The Courtney Love chick looks like a junkie. 5ft 10" blonde with crazy eyes.

Also, I called 911 a few months ago because I saw a guy in an orange PSE&G shirt going down peoples driveways the "check the meter" on Ogden Avenue. Looked like a legit service guy, but he was acting kinda strange.

He'd get to the house and try windows and look through garage doors. He got to the end of the Avenue and put a grey sweatshirt over the PSE&G shirt. The undercover cops were on the way and they busted him on Palasade Avenue.

They let him go because he said he was "looking for an apartment". What a load of rubbish - he was clearly casing out property! (At least the JCPD took his information down).

I used to stay home with my son when we lived downtown and I would let the PSE&G guy in once a month to check the meter. It did make me feel a little vulnerable until they gave me a calendar telling me when they would be coming, that way, I knew that it was a real PSE&G guy. I recommend anyone who is home and let's in the meter reader to have the calendar so you can be sure he's legit.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 11:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/2 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
The guy I see every year is white, 5ft 10", rectangular metal framed glasses, blondish curly hair - getting a little thick - 230lbs.

The Courtney Love chick looks like a junkie. 5ft 10" blonde with crazy eyes.

Also, I called 911 a few months ago because I saw a guy in an orange PSE&G shirt going down peoples driveways the "check the meter" on Ogden Avenue. Looked like a legit service guy, but he was acting kinda strange.

He'd get to the house and try windows and look through garage doors. He got to the end of the Avenue and put a grey sweatshirt over the PSE&G shirt. The undercover cops were on the way and they busted him on Palasade Avenue.

They let him go because he said he was "looking for an apartment". What a load of rubbish - he was clearly casing out property! (At least the JCPD took his information down).

Posted on: 2009/9/1 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
These scams, especially the "I ran out of gas" one, are ridiculously common around here. I've gotten them in parking lots, walking down the street, people ringing my doorbell, and on and on. It's almost funny to post descriptions of the scammers. You'd have to describe a couple hundred people, easily.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 4:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for that loud chuckle you might have just heard! Impersonating a security guard? Good stuff. Because God knows that?s what gets the ladies swooning and what puts people back on their heels --- the rent-a-cop uniform, the paper thin credentials, and the even-thinner powers of a security guard!

I think the sticking point here is the word ?impersonating? ---- to impersonate is to ?act in the person of.? Although, why someone would want to impersonate a security guard (read as: ?wait here until I get an actual cop?) is a mystery.

Shadrack?s assertion is correct --- impersonating a law enforcement officer is a totally different situation, but simply identifying yourself as one is not actually impersonating. You can walk around all day long and scream at the top of your lungs that you?re a security guard; you?re a local cop; you?re a state trooper; you?re a federal agent; even that you?re the US Attorney General (the top law enforcement agent in the country) --- you have broken no laws by doing so. You only get into a jackpot when you try to take action in the person of (or impersonate) such positions.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCorNYC wrote:
isn't it a federal crime to impersonate a security guard, and with a badge for that matter? why hasn't this guy been told by the police especially he's loitering at Exchange Place? good grief!

Impersonate security guard?

Probably not because security guards do not have enforcement powers.

Impersonating a law enforcement officer is a totally different situation.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
isn't it a federal crime to impersonate a security guard, and with a badge for that matter? why hasn't this guy been told by the police especially he's loitering at Exchange Place? good grief!

Posted on: 2009/9/1 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harborside2 wrote:
The guy with the security badge got me at the Hudson St light at Washington Ave. He had a good story. I gave him a few dollars.

Light skin Hispanic or African American male, heavy set, and very charming. Claims to be a security guard/concierge. He's full of $hit and I let him know.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if this is the same guy who approached me on Washington and York last July saying his car or truck just ran out of gas but before he can say more, i put my defences up and motioned "i can't help you" and walked away....FAST! He wasn't that tall about 5'6" - 5'8". Wearing what looked like a brown uniform --UPS or some Courier. Short hair (thick), stocky, looked Hispanic but i can be wrong with the actual nationality of the guy. He was carrying a knapsack.

can you describe more of the woman who look a bit like Courtney Love? Height, thin or plus-size, bottom heavy or small bottom, natural blonde or a fake blonde (courtney love is blonde), bangs or no bangs?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewHeights wrote:
Leaving out a few details? How tall?, what color skin?, hair type ? etc..give me a break if you want to inform the public how about a physical description. of the guy?

Think I saw the tourist looking guy last weekend. white, medium height and build (5'8"- 5'11"), roundish face, regular haircut, brown hair (may have a few gray strands)was wearing shorts, a tee-shirt, a backpack and nice glasses (black frame). He was at the corner of Erie and 12th (spot where the cheerleader squads usually set up shop). Looked eastern european. Saw one driver get suckered.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 16:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/2 23:04
Group:
Banned
The guy with the security badge got me at the Hudson St light at Washington Ave. He had a good story. I gave him a few dollars.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Leaving out a few details? How tall?, what color skin?, hair type ? etc..give me a break if you want to inform the public how about a physical description. of the guy?

Posted on: 2009/8/30 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
This is why I don't talk to people.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Could be the same guy. You can sometimes catch him in front of the Exchange Place elevator building, bugging hard working commuters with tales of losing his money/passport.

I've also seen him operating on Grove Street and Jersey Avenue.

They may be staying with friends or some community ran flop house in the area - because they only appear once a year, then move on.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexanderHamilton wrote:
Was stopped on Montgomery Street by a guy who I see in Jersey City every year.

Starts the conversation by asking if there is a "Travelers Aid" office in town. Then starts asking for a loan, due to catastrophic circumstances.

Saw him on Montgomery at 10.30am Sunday 30th heading for Grove Street. Blue polo shirt, 230lbs, expensive glasses - looks like a tourist.

He usually operates with a skanky blonde chick who looks a bit like Courtney Love. So keep your eyes open for the pair of them and don't be taken in.

Thanks!

Another recent one is a very charming man with a black shirt that has "Security" embroidered on the back. He claims to be a concierge just relieved by the new shift, but has discovered that his car is out of gas.

He was in Paulus Hook and Exchange Place last week approaching people dining outside.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 15:25

Con men back in town

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Was stopped on Montgomery Street by a guy who I see in Jersey City every year.

Starts the conversation by asking if there is a "Travelers Aid" office in town. Then starts asking for a loan, due to catastrophic circumstances.

Saw him on Montgomery at 10.30am Sunday 30th heading for Grove Street. Blue polo shirt, 230lbs, expensive glasses - looks like a tourist.

He usually operates with a skanky blonde chick who looks a bit like Courtney Love. So keep your eyes open for the pair of them and don't be taken in.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 14:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017