Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Waiter Stole Credit Data from 100 Customers - JC/Newark
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Shep, I was writing about the post before, BUT, since you have grabbed my attention Sir, twice, that is twice now you have mis-used "your" for you're. Sir, you are a terrible writer. . . And a debit and credit card abuser.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Seriously, I think it is deplorable that they have yet to announce the restaurant(s) where this took place... It would be nice for people to be able to know if they need to worry about their credit or debit cards.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Sir, read my comment VERY closely, the word "NOT" is in there. Thank you Sir.

Your welcome, I re-read, and i will re-up on my pfffft.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sir, read my comment VERY closely, the word "NOT" is in there. Thank you Sir.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 16:15

Re: ID theft ring victimized patrons at unnamed Jersey City restaurants
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
That's why I use CASH 97 percent of the time at restaurants. I love when someone in front of me on line uses a debit or credit card to purchase something for less than 5 dollars, I mean really, are you 9 years old.

I actually saw someone put a $1-and-change purchase on a credit card the other day. They weren't even embarrassed.

why should they feel embarrassed? a feeling of embarrassment implies that one is doing something incorrectly. what, besides the fact that 2 posters on here disagree, is incorrect about using a credit card to pay for a $1 purchase?

Agreed, i try to use my check card for everything...and would if i could. Finding an ATM, making sure you have the right amount for what you dont even know you are going to spend, and a pocket full of change are all pains. I have never had my account compromised. I am a man and if i somehow based my manhood on using cash...haha, yeah right, your a man...pfffft

My experience is the people writing checks, arguing over a price, using coupons, or searching for the exact change holds up the lines.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 1:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
How many QID do you want to bet it was not Madame Claude ?

Madame Claude? Hello no! I bet you it was the cuban restaurant.

Posted on: 2009/9/3 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How many QID do you want to bet it was not Madame Claude ?

Posted on: 2009/9/2 20:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/23 16:00
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know which restaurants this happened at?

Posted on: 2009/9/1 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Did not realise that my commentary about nancy boys using their credit / debit cards to buy bubble gum and mints would stir such a debate. Be a man, use cash. Obama was videotaped during the campaign when asked this question 'debit or credit', he said, real man use cash. I understand, buy a TV, buy a washer machine, buy a sofa, use the card, but for something under a finsky, please..oh,I may not get points. PAH-LEEZ.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 20:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
That's why I use CASH 97 percent of the time at restaurants. I love when someone in front of me on line uses a debit or credit card to purchase something for less than 5 dollars, I mean really, are you 9 years old.

I actually saw someone put a $1-and-change purchase on a credit card the other day. They weren't even embarrassed.

why should they feel embarrassed? a feeling of embarrassment implies that one is doing something incorrectly. what, besides the fact that 2 posters on here disagree, is incorrect about using a credit card to pay for a $1 purchase?

I dont like to carry cash, and use mydebit card for everything. One time in the past 10 or so years, there was an un authorized charge on my debit card. I dont think a debit card would be issued to a 9 year old.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Oh that's just great! I use my debit/credit card for payment. So far i haven't seen a red flag on my statement. probably because i dont have much. LOLOLOL

Quote:

pooper wrote:
http://www.1010wins.com/Prosecutor--N ... t-Data-from-Custo/5103900

Prosecutor: NJ Waiter Stole Credit Data from 100 Customers

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP/ 1010 WINS) -- Authorities in northern New Jersey say a waiter using an electronic "skimmer'' device stole credit card information from at least 100 customers of restaurants in Jersey City and Newark and passed it to an identity theft ring.

Prosecutors say the ring used the data to make thousands of dollars of fraudulent purchases.

Hudson County First Assistant Prosecutor Guy Gregory said Friday that three people have been arrested so far and a fourth is being sought.

Investigators say the waiter stole credit card information by swiping the cards through an electronic device that records information on a credit card's magnetic strip.

Gregory would not name the waiter or the restaurants involved and it was not known if the waiter was among those arrested.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 3:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pooper wrote:
http://www.1010wins.com/Prosecutor--N ... t-Data-from-Custo/5103900

Prosecutor: NJ Waiter Stole Credit Data from 100 Customers

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP/ 1010 WINS) -- Authorities in northern New Jersey say a waiter using an electronic "skimmer'' device stole credit card information from at least 100 customers of restaurants in Jersey City and Newark and passed it to an identity theft ring.

Prosecutors say the ring used the data to make thousands of dollars of fraudulent purchases.

Hudson County First Assistant Prosecutor Guy Gregory said Friday that three people have been arrested so far and a fourth is being sought.

Investigators say the waiter stole credit card information by swiping the cards through an electronic device that records information on a credit card's magnetic strip.

Gregory would not name the waiter or the restaurants involved and it was not known if the waiter was among those arrested.

Spare me the rules about using a credit card. They agreed to a contract with the CC company, and they have to honor it.

What about all of the times I don't have cash on me and wouldn't buy something UNLESS I had a credit card?

Posted on: 2009/8/31 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
I know that some merchants dislike Amex because of the higher fees, but their fraud protection is free rather than being an "add on".

I know of several instances where someone has had a fraudulent transaction posted to their account, and in each of those instances, Amex took care of it. No affidavit, no sworn statement, no "you have to pay the bill & we'll pay you back if WE think it's fraudulent"....just pure justice. And I'm not talking about $20 charges. Multiple thousands of dollars.

I also use them behind my paypal account rather than a bank account, which pisses paypal off to no end, as they constantly try to "helpfully" change my payment method directly to my bank account. With Ebay's size it can't be the % it costs them as much as the fact that Amex will bring the pain on them if paypal's stupid dispute resolution doesn't go my way.

Of course, paypal will kill your account if you ever do that, but for a big enough ticket item, I'm just happy Amex is there to square things away.

I used to hate the idea of amex because of the fee, but I love it now- Total peace of mind, no bullshit, and the points I get make me $$$ when all is said and done. As another poster said, if I could pay every expense I have on my amex I would.

I also would say I have no attachment to any brand...in fact I'm anything but a brand whore. Amex, however, I am a massive, massive pirate hooker for. Love em.

Used to use my debit card for everything- Now it's ATM only, and only ATM's I "know".

Posted on: 2009/8/31 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

It's a nuisance to the people standing in line behind you.

No, it's actually faster than using cash.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

It's a nuisance to the people standing in line behind you.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Exactly right. They equate back to ye olde days when people would write checks at the supermarket and it took 5 minutes. It's legal tender and it's fast.

And no, I could give a damn about the merchant fees. Does the store care about charging me $3 for cash at their ATM?

exactly, and I am sure these merchants are not in business to lose money.

Personal info: my mother actually still looks at me crossed eyed whenever I whip out a cc at the supermarket. Luckily she is not with me when I run into duane reade for gum because she'd probably have a heart attack.

Credit card companies make more than enough money, if I can get paid to use their card (points, airline miles, cash back) I'm all in. I use a cc wherever they are accepted and would charge my property taxes if not for city hall's 2.25% surcharge and my mortgage if I could do so without paying extra. If anyone knows how to get around these, please share.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/13 21:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/30 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Exactly right. They equate back to ye olde days when people would write checks at the supermarket and it took 5 minutes. It's legal tender and it's fast.

And no, I could give a damn about the merchant fees. Does the store care about charging me $3 for cash at their ATM?

Posted on: 2009/8/30 19:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/30 15:40

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/30 16:26
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience, only older people and those who don't really grasp the digital age entirely think using a credit/debit card for small transactions is embarrassing or weird. At a place like Duane Reade, where you don't even have to sign for small enough purchases, it takes far less time to use a card than cash. When I hear someone ranting and raving about how someone used a card for a small purchase, it takes me back to like 1999.

Ponder this: Would you rather more people buy more stuff ahead of you on line to justify their credit card transaction?

Think about it rationally for a few minutes and you'll realize how silly the argument against credit cards is.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
jclxz,

fyi...cc transactions are just as fast as cash, sometimes faster.

my wife is especially fond of dates we go on and she is used to very nice things and excellent food, so no worries there.

she especially likes the fact that our most recent international flights (switzerland, czech republic, london, paris..since late '08) and flights to San fran less than a month ago were paid with points and our upcoming trip to the african continent was also purchased with points. in fact, points covers most of our flights.

2009 new car purchase: cash, but only because the amount was above the maximum the dealer would accept on a cc.

if a merchant has decided that they will take my cc for a $.25 or $$50K purchase, why shouldn't i use my card? I am not forcing them to take my credit card and gladly pay cash for whatever i need when cc are not accepted, like at several byob's in nyc metro.

paying attention to not only my revenues but also to my expenditures has served me well.

last..no need for personal attacks. just address the merits of the argument.

Pennies add up.

+5 for rational thought.

I get that stores have to pay a fee for each cc transaction, but that is a small price to pay, I think, to have the convenience for your customers. One thing I can't stand though is when merchants try to say there is a minimum on cc purchases. It's clearly stated in the contract the merchant signed with the cc co., that they can not have a minimum charge for cc's. I make it a point to try and inform Visa/ MC/ Discover/ AMEX when I see this practice happening. I know the cc co. is always thankful when I let them know.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 11:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Unless they are still investigating the possibility that the restaurant owners/managers are involved they are really doing a disservice to all the JC restaurants by hanging this cloud over them.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 6:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I had a few fraudulent charges on my debit card. I figured it was the local restaurants. I pay cash now.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 2:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Why won't they name the restaurants where the information was stolen from ? My wife's card has now been compromised. I wouldn't go to a place that had staff who were stealing credit card ID's.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I do this all the time. I'm not the least bit embarrassed.

Posted on: 2009/8/30 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
jclxz,

fyi...cc transactions are just as fast as cash, sometimes faster.

my wife is especially fond of dates we go on and she is used to very nice things and excellent food, so no worries there.

she especially likes the fact that our most recent international flights (switzerland, czech republic, london, paris..since late '08) and flights to San fran less than a month ago were paid with points and our upcoming trip to the african continent was also purchased with points. in fact, points covers most of our flights.

2009 new car purchase: cash, but only because the amount was above the maximum the dealer would accept on a cc.

if a merchant has decided that they will take my cc for a $.25 or $$50K purchase, why shouldn't i use my card? I am not forcing them to take my credit card and gladly pay cash for whatever i need when cc are not accepted, like at several byob's in nyc metro.

paying attention to not only my revenues but also to my expenditures has served me well.

last..no need for personal attacks. just address the merits of the argument.

Pennies add up.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

nothing wrong with using a credit card for even $.25 as long as you pay your bill in full each month. there are numerous benefits to using your card for as much as possible as long you have a card from an issuer who does not hold you responsible for fraudulent charges.

It's a waste of your time. It's a waste of the merchant's time. It's a waste of the time of people behind you in line. You're deliberately forcing the merchant to take a loss on the transaction.

Quote:

also, with the right card, points/cashback/airline miles, dispute resolution, insured purchases, record keeping to track your expenses, credit cards are invaluable if used responsibly.

Are you keeping such careful records that purchases under $1 need to be tracked? You must be fun to go out with!

Quote:

my cc companies make money from merchants whenever i use my card, i get more protection than using cash and airline miles or cash back. all while the cc company makes $0 from me since i am never late and always pay in full.

You're willing to make a merchant take a loss on a transaction so that you can make a fraction of a penny from cash back?

Posted on: 2009/8/29 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

nothing wrong with using a credit card for even $.25 as long as you pay your bill in full each month. there are numerous benefits to using your card for as much as possible as long you have a card from an issuer who does not hold you responsible for fraudulent charges.

also, with the right card, points/cashback/airline miles, dispute resolution, insured purchases, record keeping to track your expenses, credit cards are invaluable if used responsibly.

my cc companies make money from merchants whenever i use my card, i get more protection than using cash and airline miles or cash back. all while the cc company makes $0 from me since i am never late and always pay in full.

whenever using cash is able to get you multiple international flights as a bonus just for using cash and you are able to get your money back on demand from ANY merchant when you are not satisfied with their product, i'll use cash exclusively. till then, for people who manage money well, a good credit card rules supreme.

keep your debit card locked up tight as most banks will barely console you if your card is stolen and used.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 21:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
i just heard from someone this past week that she had her bank debit card info stolen and during the investigation learned that skimmers are attached to the outside, usually drive-through, automatic tellers at banks in some neighborhoods.

they can't keep ahead of the hackers and those kinds of kiosks are being phased out.

beware.

The banks are not trying to keep ahead of the hackers. There is no attempt to add security mechanisms to these cards. The cards were copied by scanning them through the same machine used to scan them to make a purchase. This has been possible for decades. It's not like it's an arms race here, the banks just don't care.

Anyway anyone mature enough to have a bank account and be making purchases is able to understand the risks of using a debit card habitually. Not to mention the failure to improve your credit score by not showing credit card use when you could have.

Actually no one should be learning at this point in the game about skimmers being attached to ATMs, or about waiters copying cards while they carry them away. This has been public knowledge for years and is in the news every few months. I wonder sometimes how people can be so unaware of the world.

I figure anyone who doesn't know about them should be learning.

The odds are there's a lot about this world you know nothing about.

Posted on: 2009/8/29 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/29 17:43

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017