Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: With a 75% arrest rate, should Jersey City's deputy mayor positions be eliminated?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Blogcityblog is just trolling for webhits. Don't be a stooge.

Since when is trolling for hits (and being up front about it) any worse than trolling for attention (and being in denial about it)?

Posted on: 2009/8/22 19:43

Re: With a 75% arrest rate, should Jersey City's deputy mayor positions be eliminated?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
skep, (may i call you skep?) why do you begrudge me my traffic, and my efforts to increase same? c'mon, have some fun. (unless denying me readers is your idea of fun.) : )

Posted on: 2009/8/22 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Blogcityblog is just trolling for webhits. Don't be a stooge.

Posted on: 2009/8/22 19:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
I'm posing the question: who hates corruption more?
take our poll, would ya. It's at blogcityblog.com

Posted on: 2009/8/22 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
I am reasonably sure that the Deputy Mayor positions were unpaid at the time.
Sometimes, the good ole days didn't suck.

Do you mean to say that they supported themselves entirely on bribes?

Posted on: 2009/8/22 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Back to the original question.

I remember years ago when the Deputy Mayors' posts were ceremonial. Oftentimes, mayors would appoint people from different parts of the city and the deputies would attend functions in their wards.

There was a Filipino-American appointed in the early 1980's when Jersey City experienced an influx of people from the Philippines. Likewise, Hispanic, Arab, and Asian Indian persons were appointed as those populations rose to prominence in community politics. In theory, it was a positive way to give people in those communities a "face" in City Hall.

I am reasonably sure that the Deputy Mayor positions were unpaid at the time.

Sometimes, the good ole days didn't suck.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

And I will shed a tear for the oppressed and disadvantaged Kabili Tayari in return.

As for the "you FAG" comment, I guess it's no more or less malicious then calling someone "fugly", "pathetic" or a "know nothing".

Trust me, when I make argument I do not resort to name calling. There are better ways to make a statement that will push buttons just as effectively.

Just wow. There's so much you just don't get. You seriously need to get over yourself.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:

As for the "you FAG" comment, I guess it's no more or less malicious then calling someone "fugly", "pathetic" or a "know nothing".

What?

Posted on: 2009/8/21 21:30
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Not that I wanna put my nose in this argument because, well, look at it, BUTTTTTTTTT...

Name calling no matter what the case may be is pretty lame.

However I feel that equating calling someone "fugly", "pathetic", or a "know nothing" with something like "fag" is a little, umm, ridiculous.

To insult someone using a term that is most commonly used in a derogatory manner in reference to sexual preference, well, that's not the same as saying, "yo, y'alls nose is fugly." You're basically using a whole culture's sexual preference to insult someone, and that just makes someone look more uneducated than someone calling you brain dead.

Now lemme get outta this thread.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 21:24
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
So...

It's okay to say "gosh, I wish those yuppies would just stay in Hoboken and not come to OUR bier garten" or "the hipsters are so annoying, why don't they all just move to williamsburg" or the thread titled "occurrence of Asian girl - white guy couples". And the all time favorite "If you don't like the ----- in this city, you should move to the leafy suburbs" Yea, those are all pretty cool by us.

If things were phrased this way however, the entire pc coalition gets their panties up in a bunch over it:
"gosh, I wish those poor people would just stay in montgomery projects and not come to OUR side of town" or "the welfare collectors are so annoying, why don't they all just shop at path mark"..."If you don't like that Jersey City is gentrifying, you should move to Allentown PA".

Pretty much. Nice to see you're catching on.

Seriously though, false-choice arguments aren't your strong suit.

Some folks feel passionate about different things, and react accordingly. If I commented on every douchey thing (IMHO) written on this website, my post-count would be quadruple what it is now. Knock yourself out standing up for what you believe in, like when saabconv ups the ante of classy by responding to a poster "you FAG."

Let us all now shed a tear for the disadvantaged, oppressed yuppies... FO SHO.

And I will shed a tear for the oppressed and disadvantaged Kabili Tayari in return.

Trust me, when I make argument I do not resort to name calling. There are better ways to make a statement that will push buttons just as effectively.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 21:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
So...

It's okay to say "gosh, I wish those yuppies would just stay in Hoboken and not come to OUR bier garten" or "the hipsters are so annoying, why don't they all just move to williamsburg" or the thread titled "occurrence of Asian girl - white guy couples". And the all time favorite "If you don't like the ----- in this city, you should move to the leafy suburbs" Yea, those are all pretty cool by us.

If things were phrased this way however, the entire pc coalition gets their panties up in a bunch over it:
"gosh, I wish those poor people would just stay in montgomery projects and not come to OUR side of town" or "the welfare collectors are so annoying, why don't they all just shop at path mark"..."If you don't like that Jersey City is gentrifying, you should move to Allentown PA".

you are fighting an imaginary enemy. this "pc coalition" as you call us? does. not. exist.

what does exist are a growing group of people on this board who share some common concerns and points of view. the fact that it sometimes doesn't agree with yours doesn't make it some big spooooky conspiracy.

and for the record, since you seem so obsessesed with us:

i'm a yuppie. i am ok with whoever wants to come to the beer garden as long as they don't get drunk and puke on me. i have no real opinion on white guys/asian girls, just love who you love. hipsters are overrated. i hate that there are poor people in montgomery gardens because that seems like a shitty place to have to live and it's a bummer to drive by. i avoid pathmark at all costs because it's gross. if you don't like it here, you totally should move because life is short.

and i'm hardly PC. nor are some of the others you keep labeling that. unless PC = awesome, in which case, fo sho.

so now you know. relax and stop hating.

PS; i think Tayari is full of sh*t and the whole bogus deputy mayor position as it serves now should be eliminated.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
So...

Pretty much. Nice to see you're catching on.

Seriously though, false-choice arguments aren't your strong suit.

Some folks feel passionate about different things, and react accordingly. If I commented on every douchey thing (IMHO) written on this website, my post-count would be quadruple what it is now. Knock yourself out standing up for what you believe in, like when saabconv ups the ante of classy by responding to a poster "you FAG."

Let us all now shed a tear for the disadvantaged, oppressed yuppies... FO SHO.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
So...

Posted on: 2009/8/21 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:

Did I upset your delicate sensibilities? I put facts in. Any "color" that I added was not meant to be racist, but some people are so thin skinned that everything looks like that to them. If you don't like my comment, well, I really don't care.

As your use of the pun with "added color" demonstrates, the thread of race stereotypes woven through your entire post was quite deliberate. Perhaps you are telling the truth when you say that you didn't mean your comments to be racist, but what does that mean? You didn't want to be called a racist?

Even in the unlikely event that you made your remarks with an entirely benevolent heart oblivious to the offense they would cause, racism does not need to be an intentional act.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 17:14
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Getting back on topic, having three out of your four deputy mayors arrested is pretty awful. Its bad enough to have one or two do things that have an appearance of impropriety, but to get the cuffs slapped on three of them is pretty bad. And the only one who has not been arrested is serving for $1.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitless wrote:

While we're reviewing the stream here, let's reference post #2, #3, and #4. I made a recommendation about what you wrote, based on what you wrote, asking you to exercise self-control. You responded to that by calling names and telling another person engaged "in good debate" to "shut [their] mouth."

Who's attacking whom? LOL.

Victimization fail.

Ouch. You got me. You win. Whatever you say is right, and whatever I say is wrong. (please re-read with much sarcasm).

Unfortunately, I have no more time to engage in this pedantic psycho grammar nonsense with you. Have a great weekend.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I actually see your point, SkepticalHook. You are making your statement based on your own experience. You have a right to your opinion, fo sho.

I think the problem is the consistency of anger and vitriol in your posts across this site. When you keep yelling at people who question your opinion and attacking their responses, it's easy to see why people may question your position. Would that you would show the same respect in tone and approach as if so often showed to you.

But as you have stated repeatedly, what we think of you is of no concern to you and you will no doubt dismiss or verbally attack me in your response. Ho hum.

Have a hood day.

I believe if you actually review the stream here, it was I who was "attacked", albeit by someone with less than ample weapons. Iwitless has been spewing stupidity on here quite a bit lately, and while I don't wish to dredge up any ugly past, I believe you've thrown a couple of good punches at me in the past (I think they usually are a bit more thoughtful that I witless though).

All in good debate, I say, but I don't appreciate people who reach for the race card every time someone opens their mouth about this multi-racial society. (again Jenny, I am not speaking of you at the moment).

I'm not the one yelling, but I can see how people who disagree with me might see it that way. C'est la vie. I must move on.

While we're reviewing the stream here, let's reference post #2, #3, and #4. I made a recommendation about what you wrote, based on what you wrote, asking you to exercise self-control. You responded to that by calling names and telling another person engaged "in good debate" to "shut [their] mouth."

Who's attacking whom? LOL.

Victimization fail.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
I actually see your point, SkepticalHook. You are making your statement based on your own experience. You have a right to your opinion, fo sho.

I think the problem is the consistency of anger and vitriol in your posts across this site. When you keep yelling at people who question your opinion and attacking their responses, it's easy to see why people may question your position. Would that you would show the same respect in tone and approach as if so often showed to you.

But as you have stated repeatedly, what we think of you is of no concern to you and you will no doubt dismiss or verbally attack me in your response. Ho hum.

Have a hood day.

I believe if you actually review the stream here, it was I who was "attacked", albeit by someone with less than ample weapons. Iwitless has been spewing stupidity on here quite a bit lately, and while I don't wish to dredge up any ugly past, I believe you've thrown a couple of good punches at me in the past (I think they usually are a bit more thoughtful that I witless though).

All in good debate, I say, but I don't appreciate people who reach for the race card every time someone opens their mouth about this multi-racial society. (again Jenny, I am not speaking of you at the moment).

I'm not the one yelling, but I can see how people who disagree with me might see it that way. C'est la vie. I must move on.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 0:22
Group:
Banned
Hahahaha, BLAME AFFIRMATIVE ACTION.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:37
As hard to handle as chopsticks.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't always obey that principle, but I do try.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
A clear voice is usually more effective than a loud voice.

Well said!

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
A clear voice is usually more effective than a loud voice.

An exception being the health care debate town hall gatherings.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
Tayari is a product of our affirmative action culture. This is especially true in government. It doesn't hurt of course that he is a high official in the Jersey City NAACP and can allegedly deliver votes to Healy.

Tayari could never succeed in the private sector. He would be laughed out the door at his first interview.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

FrGuidoSarducci wrote:
It's safe to say that Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has not hadgood luck with his deputy mayors -- at least if criminal charges are any measure.
Three of the mayor's four picks have been arrested.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... arrest_rate_should_j.html

$104K for Kabili Tayari ?! WTF ?!

The man is a do nothing weasel.

Once more Hudson cty politics at work and on the backs of the hard working constituents.....

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

It's an interesting phenomenon right now - the way deep-seeded racial anger finds public outlets. Whether it's health-care town hall disruptionists disguising their outrage as opposition to health care reform, or whether it's locals who just can't resist a twist of the racial knife when handed an opportunity to skewer a public official, it's still scary to watch.

The sad thing is that I agree with much of your assessment of Tayari's record, i just hate seeing a legitimate position undermined by overzealous kooks. As you're fond of saying, I think we can all agree there is plenty to take Tayari to task for without resorting to lame race jokes. FO SHO.

And I find it particularly disturbing when folks scream racism where there is none, but rather there is real anger and outrage about a government takeover of the private sector and people's lives. I stand by my statements. It isn't racial. It's true disgust for the current political tactics. FO SHO.

Have a hood day.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

It's an interesting phenomenon right now - the way deep-seeded racial anger finds public outlets. Whether it's health-care town hall disruptionists disguising their outrage as opposition to health care reform, or whether it's locals who just can't resist a twist of the racial knife when handed an opportunity to skewer a public official, it's still scary to watch.

The sad thing is that I agree with much of your assessment of Tayari's record, i just hate seeing a legitimate position undermined by overzealous kooks. As you're fond of saying, I think we can all agree there is plenty to take Tayari to task for without resorting to lame race jokes. FO SHO.

And I find it particularly disturbing when folks scream racism where there is none, but rather there is real anger and outrage about a government takeover of the private sector and people's lives. I stand by my statements. It isn't racial. It's true disgust for the current political tactics. FO SHO.

I'm SHO you do, just as I'm SHO you'll never understand the point I'm trying to make.

Creepy as this is to say, I thoroughly agree with saab, that politicians should not be treated with kid gloves based on their gender, ethnicity, religion, or any other factor. Where we differ is in the idea that cracking black jokes is the equivalent of "taking off the kid gloves." Just ask Hillary Clinton about how quickly folks jump off the "kid gloves" cliff and into really unnecessary, childish mud slinging.

What purpose does it serve, really? All it does is make people want to tune you out.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/5 14:28
Group:
Banned
Skeptical - are you racist or honest? Is it time to say enough of treating politicians with kid-gloves because they happen to be a minority (which, BTW - are white men these days....)? I totally agree with what you have to say - I would love to make $104k off the backs of the HARD-WORKING tax payers of JC to do, well, nothing. Kudos to another well-written post!

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

LOL thanks, I'll take that under advisement. With folks of your character and temperment spearheading government reform in Jersey City, we should be right as rain in no time.

Wow. You really got me there!

With folks like you spearheading government reform, we'd have more than 9.5% unemployment . . . oh wait . . .

Go sell crazy and stupid someplace else. We already had plenty of it before you decided to weigh in, and we don't want any more.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

LOL thanks, I'll take that under advisement. With folks of your character and temperment spearheading government reform in Jersey City, we should be right as rain in no time.

Wow. You really got me there!

With folks like you spearheading government reform, we'd have more than 9.5% unemployment . . . oh wait . . .

Go sell crazy and stupid someplace else. We already had plenty of it before you decided to weigh in, and we don't want any more.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 14:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017