Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: You're Bob Dylan? Jersey Shore Cops Want to See Some ID
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Quote:

kitten wrote:
This is such a non-story to me. WHO CARES!!! oooh, 20 something year olds didn't recognize Bob Dylan. So what. My stepson doesn't know who Kermit the Frog is. Big deal. I am over it.

Damn, you're cool!

I know! And I don't even have a goatee and wear a fedora to prove it!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

kitten wrote:
This is such a non-story to me. WHO CARES!!! oooh, 20 something year olds didn't recognize Bob Dylan. So what. My stepson doesn't know who Kermit the Frog is. Big deal. I am over it.

Damn, you're cool!

Posted on: 2009/8/17 21:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
I find the entire story kinda charming & think it speaks well of both the cop & Bob Dylan.

The cop got a call about a man standing on someone's property. She finds a guy walking down the street dressed rather shabbily in the pouring rain. He says he's Bob Dylan but has no ID. Instead of giving him a hard time, cuffing & stuffing, she just takes him to where he says he needs to go, and what do you know, it's THE Bob Dylan. No harm, she did her job.

What can you say about Dylan except that he's pretty clearly not a guy who buys his own hype. Wandering around in the rain, because he wants to see the houses of contemporaries he admires, completely unassumingly & anonymously, not a "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" in sight...it only adds to his reputation. Of COURSE Bob Dylan doesn't chew out local cops like a prima donna!

I do think it's news worthy because....well, it's Bob Dylan wandering around in the rain & not being recognized by a young cop. There's a fistful of angles for a story here, everywhere from humorous to wistful.

"Angry" or "outraged" really aren't among them.

Bob Dylan must be a nobody. If he was a real star he would have beat the cop with his cell phone or had his posse threaten her while he rode off in his armored Escalde.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
There don't appear to be enough details to form an opinion on Khan's situation, which of course won't stop me from engaging in some completely unsubstantiated speculation.

It's not like this hurts the publicity of his movie AND

he should stop thinking he's such a bigshot and experience his delays the way the REST of us do in Newark- Sitting in a little chair, eating whatever horrible rubber chicken sandwich is available from Starbucks, because we've been told yet again, that we'll be boarding in 15 minute to the airplane that is still on the ground in Portland, and you shouldn't go far from the gate, no, no, because even though you've sat there for 3 hours, when the plane DOES arrive it's going to get turned around in under 30 seconds, so you need, NEED to be in the gate area or they're leaving without you, but they certainly won't be leaving without the crew, which is flying in from the Cape of Good Hope and may or may not make it in time to meet said Portland aircraft, which is about to develop a mechanical problem for which a part must be driven over from JFK.

Or, barring that, sitting on a perfectly on time plane that is #87 in line for take off, so we're going to go ahead and power down. Try not to breathe too much if you can help it, because the AC is off now & it might get a bit hot.

But don't worry. We'll try to make it up in the air.

I'm not bitter. Noooo, not me.

Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Totally agree. It's awesome that Bob didn't pull the "don't you know who I am?" act. Major cool points for the old man. Too bad I still can't listen to him sing, though.

In other news, did you guys hear about the Bollywood VIP who was detained for 2 hours in EWR the other night and made a big stink about it? The story made it to the NY Times. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Whoops, the story was on the Lede, the NY Times News Blog (if that makes a difference to some)

Here's the link:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... bollywood-vip-named-khan/

Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
I find the entire story kinda charming & think it speaks well of both the cop & Bob Dylan.

The cop got a call about a man standing on someone's property. She finds a guy walking down the street dressed rather shabbily in the pouring rain. He says he's Bob Dylan but has no ID. Instead of giving him a hard time, cuffing & stuffing, she just takes him to where he says he needs to go, and what do you know, it's THE Bob Dylan. No harm, she did her job.

What can you say about Dylan except that he's pretty clearly not a guy who buys his own hype. Wandering around in the rain, because he wants to see the houses of contemporaries he admires, completely unassumingly & anonymously, not a "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" in sight...it only adds to his reputation. Of COURSE Bob Dylan doesn't chew out local cops like a prima donna!

I do think it's news worthy because....well, it's Bob Dylan wandering around in the rain & not being recognized by a young cop. There's a fistful of angles for a story here, everywhere from humorous to wistful.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agree. It's awesome that Bob didn't pull the "don't you know who I am?" act. Major cool points for the old man. Too bad I still can't listen to him sing, though.

In other news, did you guys hear about the Bollywood VIP who was detained for 2 hours in EWR the other night and made a big stink about it? The story made it to the NY Times. Your thoughts?

EDIT: Whoops, the story was on the Lede, the NY Times News Blog (if that makes a difference to some)

Here's the link:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... bollywood-vip-named-khan/

Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Would it have been news-worthy if Bob Dylan was walking around naked?

Posted on: 2009/8/17 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/17 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I assume Obama will invite Dylan and the cop to a sit down at the Whitehouse. I just don't understand why Dylan didn't immediately start insulting the cops and calling them motherf'ers. I thought professor Gates, a good friend of the president, taught us that is the appropriate way to treat police officers.

Okay... let's see where this doesn't compare:

Professor Gates was inside his own house.
Bob Dylan was walking on someone's private property.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
This is actually scary! Are the police trying to say that Bob Dylan doesn't have the right to walk down the street or to wander about?

I think Bob Dylan should sue? I could if it were a group of teens?

If you read the ABC story I posted you will see why the police did what they did. Dylan was walking around on private property in a pouring rainstorm dressed like a homeless person. The cops responded to a call from the homeowner on whose property he was trespassing. He can wander all he wants, just stay out of people's yards. The cops acted very professionally. Dylan's people didn't at first.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
This is actually scary! Are the police trying to say that Bob Dylan doesn't have the right to walk down the street or to wander about?

I think Bob Dylan should sue? I could if it were a group of teens?

Posted on: 2009/8/17 15:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/13 7:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:
I assume Obama will invite Dylan and the cop to a sit down at the Whitehouse. I just don't understand why Dylan didn't immediately start insulting the cops and calling them motherf'ers. I thought professor Gates, a good friend of the president, taught us that is the appropriate way to treat police officers.

Obama Derangement Syndrome is in full swing.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 6:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skepticalhook wrote:

I'm surprised that the JDL or the ACLU isn't on top of this. I'm sure both groups have lots of connections in Obama's cabinet. Does Israel have any speciality beers ? I think an American brand will do the trick preferably "Bud" "After all we're not Communists you know." Can any one say "Show me your papers"

Posted on: 2009/8/16 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/16 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/16 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Next time I see someone casing the neighborhood cars or apartments I'm gonna assume it's just Bob Dylan and leave him be.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Last time I checked being old & scraggly wasn't a crime. No matter what neighborhood you are in. Freedom is a joke.

Posted on: 2009/8/16 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
"Like a complete unknown...Like a rolling stone"...Nothing more to be said. Dylan must be lovin' it.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if Dylan was looking at these properties..

Long Branch homeowners win round in eminent domain fight

by MaryAnn Spoto
The Star-Ledger
Friday August 08, 2008

Residents of a Long Branch neighborhood slated to be seized by the city and razed to make way for an oceanfront redevelopment project will get a chance to save their homes, an appeals court ruled Thursday.

The court upheld a number of the city's actions, including its right to delegate its eminent domain authority to the developer but said Long Branch failed to show the condemned homes met the legal definition of blighted.

The unanimous 85-page ruling was viewed by critics of eminent domain as another blow to towns by an increasingly skeptical New Jersey judiciary. Over the past year, the courts have been reining in towns' use of sweeping seizure powers to make way for large-scale redevelopment.

The Long Branch case, in particular, gained national attention from property rights advocates, who hailed Thursday's decision as long overdue.

"The ruling once again reaffirms the constitutional rights of property owners," said state Public Advocate Ronald Chen, whose office joined in the legal fight. "As such, this is not just a victory for the ... homeowners, but for every citizen of this state."

He called on Long Branch to drop its pursuit of the homes.

Rather than dismiss the case, though, Judges Joseph Lisa, Richard Newman and Paulette Sapp-Peterson sent it back to Superior Court Assignment Judge Lawrence M. Lawson in Freehold for a hearing in which the city will have to prove the properties are blighted.

That disappointed homeowner Denise Hoagland, who said she felt Lawson had not given residents fair consideration back in 2006.

"It just prolongs our nightmare," she said.

Long Branch had moved to seize three dozen homes in the north end of its oceanfront -- on Marine Terrace, Ocean Terrace and Seaview Avenue -- to continue its massive redevelopment project. Residents complained the city declared the entire area blighted without taking into consideration their well-maintained modest bungalows, where many had lived for more than 40 years.

Of the 36 properties sought, the majority have contracted with or sold to the developer. About 13 are fighting the condemnation.

The city argued the neighborhood had a high vacancy rate and some homes were in poor condition. Officials maintained market forces would not improve conditions.

Mayor Adam Schneider said he interprets the decision as "saying we now have to meet a standard that wasn't yet set when we did our work in 2005 and when Judge Lawson decided it in 2006."

He said he does not consider the ruling a defeat, because the city can prove the area is blighted.

"It simply slows down the process at a time that's not so bad, because nobody's building anyway," agreed city attorney James Aaron. "Let the economy turn around."

Aaron said by dismissing most resident claims, the decision finally settled "venomous" allegations that he and another attorney, James Greenbaum, had a conflict of interest dating from their previous representation of the developer's parent company, K. Hovnanian.

The city has 20 days to decide whether to appeal to the state Supreme Court or request a hearing within six months before Lawson.

Thursday's decision said an area cannot be considered blighted solely because it generates a lower amount of property taxes for a municipality and less spending at local businesses than it would if it were redeveloped.

That would set a dangerous precedent, the court said, prompting seizures of property based on a "perceived insufficiency of wealth" and setting up a situation in which properties would be continuously subject to redevelopment.

Towns have long had a constitutional right in New Jersey to seize blighted property. But under a sweeping redevelopment law adopted in 1991, the definition was broadened to include an "underutilized" category, and towns began using it to remake old residential and industrial neighborhoods into large-scale developments.

But in 2007, the state Supreme Court raised serious questions about the practice by ordering that a finding of actual blight was needed before private property could be seized. The decision yesterday relied heavily on the decision in Gallenthin Realty Development Inc. vs. Borough of Paulsboro.

"We conclude that, under Gallenthin's heightened standard, the record does not contain substantial evidence to support the city's findings under any of the subsections (of the state's Local Redevelopment and Housing Law) upon which it relied," the court wrote yesterday.

William Ward, attorney for homeowners Louis and Lillian Anzalone, said he was pleased with the decision and said it is the first step in getting the condemnation overturned.

"The city as a practical matter is not going to be able to prove blight, and I doubt they'll be able to find a planning expert who will say there is blight," he said.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 20:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
You see this scraggly looking guy in a rough neighborhood walking along slowly looking at houses... and when you ask him what he's doing he says "I'm on tour"... I'd want to see some ID too... and I KNOW what Bob Dylan looks like

Mark.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/8/15 19:34
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
Scraggly old white dude in a black neighborhood = junkie. Any white dude in a black neighborhood = junkie to the cops.. I've had it happen to me for skating down montgomery past the PJs without loitering of any sort.. It's pretty insulting.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

emdot wrote:
This is a funny story and it doesn't surprise me that a 24 year old cop didn't know who he was. I am sure he had heard of him but probably never seen pictures.

agreed... i wouldnt know bob dylan from a whole in the wall. at least this didnt blow up into an all out police vs innocent victim brawl. and robot, i think the law states that you need to have ID with you at all times, although that could be one of those 'myths' thats get passed on so often that people take it as truth

Posted on: 2009/8/15 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Two hours to get to Long Branch?

Posted on: 2009/8/15 18:06
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
So what exactly did he do wrong? And since when do you have to show ID to police when you're walking around doing nothing?

Posted on: 2009/8/15 12:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
This is a funny story and it doesn't surprise me that a 24 year old cop didn't know who he was. I am sure he had heard of him but probably never seen pictures.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 12:42

You're Bob Dylan? Jersey Shore Cops Want to See Some ID
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
You're Bob Dylan? NJ Police Want to See Some ID

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 14, 2009

Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.

Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium in nearby Lakewood.

A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.

''I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work,'' Woolley said.

The incident began at 5 p.m. when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:

''What is your name, sir?'' the officer asked.

''Bob Dylan,'' Dylan said.

''OK, what are you doing here?'' the officer asked.

''I'm on tour,'' the singer replied.

A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.

The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as ''Like a Rolling Stone'' and ''Blowin' in the Wind'' said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.

The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.

The officers thanked him for his cooperation.

''He couldn't have been any nicer to them,'' Woolley added.

How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 9:25

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017