Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

NYTimes: High Tea on the Lower East Side
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like Janam Indian Tea, formally of 353 Grove St, made it to the Big Apple.

--------------------------------------------------------

High Tea on the Lower East Side

Neighborhood Joint
By LISA M. COLLINS SEPT. 26, 2017

Above a burger place, brassy swing tunes filled a private room located behind a vault door and up an old staircase, left over from when the building was a bank.

Along the bar, in front of the booze, sat a line of orange ceramic teapots and jars of dark leaves.

?This is from the highest-altitude tea garden in north India,? said Amy Dubin, 44, as she grabbed one of the jars from the bar to show a group of men in golf shirts and button-downs. ?These are handpicked leaves.? Tea is different every year and every season, she explained.

?It smells delicious! Look at the color!? said Alex Chan, a teacher from Queens ?in his 40s? and a member of the New York Tea Society, which meets here on a semiregular basis.

By night, this parlor, Victorian in d?cor with gold wallpaper, purple velvet benches and a stately little library, is Garfunkel?s, a speakeasy-style cocktail lounge at 67 Clinton Street on the Lower East Side. By day, it is the home of Janam Tea, which is run by Ms. Dubin and offers a proper tea service with cucumber sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and unlimited tea.

Ms. Dubin visits India regularly to select tea from private growers. Janam serves Indian tea exclusively.

It?s a favorite spot for the Tea Society, which until recently was called the Men?s Tea Social. The group changed its name to welcome all tea lovers.

?Gay men who are into tea, that?s kind of huge,? said the group?s founder, Roy Lamberty, 49, the executive chef of Fatty Fish, a restaurant on the Upper East Side.

Afternoon tea is dismissed as a ladies? thing, Mr. Lamberty said. ?I don?t feel we should stick to stereotypes.?

Nearby, a group of women in satin dresses sat against the windows, chatting in Russian at their bridal shower. They watched the bride-to-be, Alexsandra Lerner, 24, of Manhattan Beach, as she pulled a lace-trimmed short silk kimono from a box.

Reading a card, tears fell down her cheeks. ?I should get married every year,? Ms. Lerner said.

Back at Mr. Lamberty?s table, Mr. Chan inquired about the provenance of the green tea.

?The state of West Bengal is basically shaped like Idaho. At the very top is Darjeeling,? Ms. Dubin said. ?Due to some, let?s say, civil unrest, to get tea from this area is very difficult.?

The bridal shower selected the unlimited Champagne option, an add-on to the regular tea service, which costs $35 per person and includes the delivery of a tiered tray stocked with treats like smoked-salmon sandwiches, buttermilk cupcakes and blood-orange frozen yogurt.

?Besides the jam and scones, I made it all myself,? said Ms. Dubin, originally from Cleveland.

When it comes to clotted cream, she instructed, ?Don?t dab; be decadent.?

Mr. Lamberty said he hopes for a tea revolution. He does not drink coffee or alcohol. ?Tea gives you that clearheaded awareness, without the jitters,? he said.

Benjamin Wagstaff, 25, was seated nearby. He wore orange leather slip-on shoes and an open shirt. He lives down the street and visits often.

Touching a silver necklace, a gift from his British grandmother, Mr. Wagstaff, a tech entrepreneur, reminisced about afternoon tea with her. ?It was definitely something to look forward to,? he said.

?I like the idea of stopping what you are doing and having conversation,? Mr. Wagstaff said. ?There?s a brunch culture in New York. Why can?t there be an afternoon tea culture? It?s not easy to find somewhere comfortable that wouldn?t rush the process.?

It was 3:30 p.m. and Mr. Lamberty?s group, having arrived at 1, was preparing to leave.

?The greatest thing about tea is that I can drink a lot of it, and drive,? said Mr. Chan. ?And not get arrested.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/nyr ... -east-side-speakeasy.html

Posted on: 2017/9/27 16:38

Re: Possible new tea house - would you go?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/2 2:38
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It would be great to have something like Spices & Tease in Jersey City, but I'm not sure if there is a big enough interest in the neighborhood to make ends meet in a business like that.

I remember Spices & Tease in the flea markets in NYC years ago. They built up quite a following before opening the store...

Posted on: 2015/5/2 1:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/22 19:49
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Janam tea house closed, AMT is moving! What is coming in that space, I wonder ?

Posted on: 2015/5/1 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
I vote for Van Vorst Park!! Newark Street is unpleasant. But I have to agree, I don't see much demand for bubble tea in this area. I think Bubble Tea would do better in Pavonia Newport where there is a larger Asian population - although they already have a bubble tea house.

Newark street is unpleasant because we don't have enough hip and interesting places to go. But the foot traffic of commuters is huge and people are just waiting for something interesting to get started there....

Posted on: 2009/8/12 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
sounds good, also serve some good juice. All the crap from cosi/donking donuts are nothing but sugar. Have a real juice bar with 100% squeezed fruits.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 4:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
I think the Bright/York area could do well since you have a decent amount of foot traffic with people coming from the school, Pathmark, Van Vorst Park, Liberty State Park, and the hospital. I know several people at JC Medical that wish there were more places in the area.
Legal Grounds is on a very quiet section of Grand and has horrible hours. Every time I head that way the place seems to be closed. I am sure a location on Newark would do just as well, but of course I am partial to the Bright/York area

Posted on: 2009/8/12 1:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
I vote for Van Vorst Park!! Newark Street is unpleasant. But I have to agree, I don't see much demand for bubble tea in this area. I think Bubble Tea would do better in Pavonia Newport where there is a larger Asian population - although they already have a bubble tea house.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 1:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/12 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dwntowntrain wrote:
VVP area needs a place for bubble tea, vegan and vegetarian snacks!

I like bubble/boba tea, but I don't think it would do very well in this area. FYI, Legal Grounds on Grand (3-4 blocks from the proposed place for this teashop on Bright/York) offers bubble tea. I think they probably sell one cup every 2 weeks. Maybe it would fare better on Newark Ave though, who knows.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 0:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
VVP area needs a place for bubble tea, vegan and vegetarian snacks!

Posted on: 2009/8/11 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
If it's a tea house and the tea is fantastic all the time. The food is fresh and good all the time (even if you run out because you'd rather make less and keep it fresh than make more and try and sell it a day later....) and the price point is not shocking (again, I go back to another coffee house where I try and support the goodies and I am thrown off on cost vs. size/quality) then people around here will come. I will always walk a little further if there is consistency. This coffee novelty knit place is only 2 blocks away and I'll walk 7 blocks to Basic instead because they are open and the coffee is fresh. I tried, and I tried to support the other place but my personal experiences for food and coffee being consistent weren't provided (although they are fantastic community contributors and a great addition to the neighborhood, they weren't my cup of tea, pun intended). Newark would be IDEAL! That area needs a clean up desperately and I'd welcome anything en route to the PATH train....

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Huh.

I thought that it was a woman of loose morals.

I thought a woman of loose morals was a "tart".

Oh, of course.

I'm getting my sweets confused.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
So, that's what your teahouse needs.

Tarts and strumpets and the very "kind, gentle, welcoming" staff Jersey City establishments are known for.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Huh.

I think you were thinking of "strumpet". Crumpet is a non-judgemental term similar to nubile.

A woman of loose morals can also be a "slag" but I definitely wouldnt eat that.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:
Huh.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

liss54 wrote:
...I was mainly asking because I have two main areas that I'm looking at: closer to Newark Ave and closer to Bright St near Van Vorst park...

I would love to see you open right on Newark Avenue! You'll get a lot more foot traffic as people go to or from the PATH - just sit for a while near each place you are thinking about and just watch the foot traffic.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Huh.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:
I'd go if you served crumpets with the tea but only once, mainly to find out what a crumpet is.

All my life I assumed this was a crumpet, but with the American spelling.
Resized Image

It was a play on words.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:
I'd go if you served crumpets with the tea but only once, mainly to find out what a crumpet is.

All my life I assumed this was a crumpet, but with the American spelling.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:

Here don't bother going save A trip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

Posted on: 2009/8/11 12:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/11 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jrsygrl22 wrote:
For the love of god, please have decent tea and you will have my eternal gratitude! Bagged is fine for people who don't know any better but the loose leaf is better by far. The closest "real" tea place is in Montclair so you'd have a corner on the market. (It's called Cha Ma Gu Dao, I strongly suggest check them out). There is a forum called teachat.com. They have a subforum for people who are operating or thinking about opening tea places. The folks there can probably direct you towards some great wholesalers.

What's wrong with Lipton? I think it's a good deal for the size of the box & amount of teabags...

Posted on: 2009/8/11 3:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/22 13:21
Group:
Registered Users
For the love of god, please have decent tea and you will have my eternal gratitude! Bagged is fine for people who don't know any better but the loose leaf is better by far. The closest "real" tea place is in Montclair so you'd have a corner on the market. (It's called Cha Ma Gu Dao, I strongly suggest check them out). There is a forum called teachat.com. They have a subforum for people who are operating or thinking about opening tea places. The folks there can probably direct you towards some great wholesalers.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 3:40
Nicole
CATJC
Cat Owner's Group of Jersey City

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conchords_Flight wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Really? I found her to be pesky and annoying.

are you by any chance either emo or a goth kid?

No.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
What time would you think of closing? I don't go out until midnight. Seriously.

+1

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in the VVP section and would definitely go there. If you make crepes (one word: Nutella), Mr JCI and I will be your best friends.

Quote:

liss54 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback, everyone! I was mainly asking because I have two main areas that I'm looking at: closer to Newark Ave and closer to Bright St near Van Vorst park. I can see how these spots differ, but I was wondering how much crossover they might get.
And yes, I will have both vegan and non-vegan options, but no meat products unless they are faux.
I will also allow "lounging" and working and may have a communal table table or two.
I would like to open early for the pre-work crowd, but I'd also like to host events at night.
Any more feedback would be great.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/18 18:35
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Quote:

are you by any chance either emo or a goth kid?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conchords_Flight wrote:
Quote:
I live near Hamilton Park and I would definitely go. I am still in mourning over Janam's closing.

Yeah, liss54 & daphne, it sounds like a good idea. But keep in mind that part of Janam's success was that the tiny girl who owned/ran Janam was so sweet. Also, small businesses are very risky. But if you open, I'll go.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
she also spent year(s) in India and went back a few times and was a teaologist.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/18 18:35
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I live near Hamilton Park and I would definitely go. I am still in mourning over Janam's closing.

Yeah, liss54 & daphne, it sounds like a good idea. But keep in mind that part of Janam's success was that the tiny girl who owned/ran Janam was so sweet. Also, small businesses are very risky. But if you open, I'll go.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:47

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017