Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: ShopRite - the place where you feel safe!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/20 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
Went to Pathmark today and have to say it's a day and night comparing to ShopRite shopping experience. And the prices are much better, especially for seafood. I found a better place to shop!

Posted on: 2009/8/29 20:33
"You are the flower and I am the bee" - Ko Bong, Zen Master.
- But, if the whole world is a single flower, then who is the bee?

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
@susiederkins, @ Greenvillechick:

I think their whole management team needs to be replaced. The operation of this store most of the times (read 99%) makes me feel beyond speechless! :)

@GnomeGeneral:

I know ;)

Posted on: 2009/8/19 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ACTPOHABT wrote:
UPDATE:

I was contacted on the phone by a lady in charge of customer service from the Metro Plaza ShopRite and here's what she had to say regarding the incident.

The managers and undercover security personnel are instructed not to get involved with arguing customers and just stand back and observe until somebody might get hurt (waiving your fist an inch away from somebody's face is not enough for them to get involved).

They've tried interfering and breaking up the arguing parties before and it only lead to customers starting yelling at the managers and/or security personnel. (I guess they are too sensitive for that and they are not getting paid enough to risk their precious lives).

She also tried justifying people's behavior by tough economic situation in the country and suggested not to shop at ShopRite in the first week of each month, when most of the people get their checks.

So basically, until somebody gets punched in the face, nobody is gonna do a damn thing. But then it becomes the store's liability, which seems to work for them better this way. Go figure!?

Your name spells astronaut in russian!

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
woooooooooooooooooooooow

I cannot believe Shop Rite actually said to not shop the first week of the month. LMAO I practice that but it's crazy to hear a rep say it.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
She also tried justifying people's behavior by tough economic situation in the country and suggested not to shop at ShopRite in the first week of each month, when most of the people get their checks.

I find it interesting that she would make this suggestion. Basically telling you to stay away when the poor people do their welfare shopping.

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
UPDATE:

I was contacted on the phone by a lady in charge of customer service from the Metro Plaza ShopRite and here's what she had to say regarding the incident.

The managers and undercover security personnel are instructed not to get involved with arguing customers and just stand back and observe until somebody might get hurt (waiving your fist an inch away from somebody's face is not enough for them to get involved).

They've tried interfering and breaking up the arguing parties before and it only lead to customers starting yelling at the managers and/or security personnel. (I guess they are too sensitive for that and they are not getting paid enough to risk their precious lives).

So basically, until somebody gets punched in the face, nobody is gonna do a damn thing. But then it becomes the store's liability, which seems to work for them better this way. Go figure!?

Posted on: 2009/8/19 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:

Correction: I tried to shop at Shoprite in JC once but it was the most unusually aggressive shopping experience I've had in my life. A movie could have filmed the experience and viewers would have thought the Director was exaggerating. It's like people were hostile towards other people and through the 'language' of their shopping carts were going, "Just give me a reason!" as they bullied their way down the aisle not budging. Like they found their power through the shopping cart! AWESOMELY humorous but not worth going back for me to laugh again.

That was my exact impression. Fortunately I have a car to open up more shopping options. We shop mostly at HMart in Ridgefield and the long drive is worth it.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
So what's the verdict on BJ's, worth the membership fee?

I received a free membership in the mail and went 2 or 3 times, but the prices didn't seem great to me. Though, there wasn't a great deal I could remember the prices of for my comparisons.

Bottled water is one thing I do know the price of, and BJ's was more expensive than both Shoprite and A&P.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

I clearly see a very crowded Shoprite any time I enter the store, which means they must be doing something right. For a store like Shoprite, a crowded store is what makes is a success. Many here don't personally like it, because of the mere fact that it's always crowded .. fine, go shop at A&P, I don't think Shoprite will mind.

Ordinarily, I'd agree, but in this case, it's a lack of options - especially for those of us who are carless. For a city the size of JC, there is a woeful lack of decent choices when it comes to supermarkets. Shop Rite knows they have a captive customer base. That's why this particular store doesn't even try.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Morton Williams near Newport has free parking and it's super easy. Hardly anyone there.

1.) I keep forgetting about that place probably because I keep thinking there is no parking lot but if you say there is then I will try it out.
2.) How is the quality of their items there I remember some postings when they first opened stating the freshness was debatable and that they were importing some items from ShopRite.
2.) Also is their pricing competitive to ShopRite ?

To be honest, I don't shop at Shoprite so I wouldn't know if it is comparable. But they provide you with a ticket to get free parking and it's right in the exact building (probably 20 steps to entrance) so it's really easy. Their selections do cater to an Indian community which I've actually found cool - some items appear to be authentic British and Irish chocolates - the REAL Cadbury treats. Everything I've eaten is fresh and reliable and the selections are good.

Correction: I tried to shop at Shoprite in JC once but it was the most unusually aggressive shopping experience I've had in my life. A movie could have filmed the experience and viewers would have thought the Director was exaggerating. It's like people were hostile towards other people and through the 'language' of their shopping carts were going, "Just give me a reason!" as they bullied their way down the aisle not budging. Like they found their power through the shopping cart! AWESOMELY humorous but not worth going back for me to laugh again.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Just because Shoprite's business is good doesn't mean that it can't be better. That sort of arrogance leads to an eventual loss of business and a myriad of other problems. I'm sure competitors have probably look at all the business you folks are doing. Good business people recognize when they can simply take anothers business. The day will come.

My car was damaged at Shoprite while shopping at Shoprite. Their towing practices are unethical at the very least.

You don't seem very impartial about your evaluation of Shoprite in my opinion.

As regards your attack on my business acumen. I'm a graduate of Babson College, one of the best business schools in the country. I've worked as the general manager of a 125,000 square foot supermarket and presently own my own business. You are entitled to your opinion but please do not personally attack me just because you disagree with an opinion of mine.

Just because people tolerate Shoprite today doesn't mean they will forever. They have lost me (and my family of 5)as a customer and you don't have to be a business genius or an economics expert to realize that losing customers is not in the best interest of a business.

Thank you for strengthening my resolve to boycott this Shoprite until they acknowledge and try to fix their abundance of severe problems.

Not attacking your opinion, it's just a strong insinuation when you say "Clearly something has to change", as if the whole world agrees with you.

I clearly see a very crowded Shoprite any time I enter the store, which means they must be doing something right. For a store like Shoprite, a crowded store is what makes is a success. Many here don't personally like it, because of the mere fact that it's always crowded .. fine, go shop at A&P, I don't think Shoprite will mind.

When the time comes that the public does not like the condition of the store, they will stop going to Shoprite, put a dent in their revenue, and then you would perhaps see a renovation.

However, due to their lower prices, and convenient location for most, most will continue to "suck it up" and shop there, thus I don't see the logic in "Clearly something has to change".

Also, I do agree that the towing that happens in that parking lot is unethical, but I've yet to hear anyone say they gotten their car towed while they were merely shopping in the shopping center. As for your car getting damaged in the parking lot, hey, sh!t happens, not the store's fault.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It's probably the best sushi around. After all, it's a grocery store, they should have no problem keeping fresh fish in stock.

I will say that I haven't had any problem with the canned food or boxed dry food like cereal at Shop Rite. This puts it ahead of C-Town, which has a woefully inadequate sushi selection.

ROFL! C-Town sushi!

Also, thanks dmrnj for the price analysis. You do indeed sound like an avid bargain shopper.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Slim: do you work for Shoprite? You have such an interest. More than half of your posts.

P.S. There's a woman working at Pathmark who's an incredible beauty. Her name... I don't know. It starts with a D, I think. Stunning.

nah .. I just get a kick out of stupid, nonsensical arguments that some try to make.

That said, i did work at a shoprite as a kid 20 years ago in upstate NY... but it was less ghetto, so most of the complainers here would probably be okay shopping there.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Just because Shoprite's business is good doesn't mean that it can't be better. That sort of arrogance leads to an eventual loss of business and a myriad of other problems. I'm sure competitors have probably look at all the business you folks are doing. Good business people recognize when they can simply take anothers business. The day will come.

My car was damaged at Shoprite while shopping at Shoprite. Their towing practices are unethical at the very least.

You don't seem very impartial about your evaluation of Shoprite in my opinion.

As regards your attack on my business acumen. I'm a graduate of Babson College, one of the best business schools in the country. I've worked as the general manager of a 125,000 square foot supermarket and presently own my own business. You are entitled to your opinion but please do not personally attack me just because you disagree with an opinion of mine.

Just because people tolerate Shoprite today doesn't mean they will forever. They have lost me (and my family of 5)as a customer and you don't have to be a business genius or an economics expert to realize that losing customers is not in the best interest of a business.

Thank you for strengthening my resolve to boycott this Shoprite until they acknowledge and try to fix their abundance of severe problems.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
We do run the gamut here, so it's not like we're missed a price point.

From top to bottom:

Morton Williams
A&P
Shoprite
Pathmark
C-Town

Some might switch Shoprite and Pathmark, but I never go to one so I don't know. The problem is that unless you live in Newport, all the non-ghetto ones aren't easily walkable.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Um, there are people who don't have enough money to shop at more expensive supermarkets but are still law-abiding residents. I know I'm stating the obvious, but...

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
just stop going to shoprite and go somewhere else.

shouldn't you be going to a&p anyway?

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
if you saw the quality go up, I'm sure they would raise prices too.

I'd gladly pay a little bit more for improved quality. As an added bonus, the higher prices might keep some of the riff-raff away.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
It is a cooperative of different owners who operate the stores freely of each other. Very much like a franchise. Even Inserra operates nicer stores out in the burbs and if you saw the quality go up, I'm sure they would raise prices too.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Slim: do you work for Shoprite? You have such an interest. More than half of your posts.

P.S. There's a woman working at Pathmark who's an incredible beauty. Her name... I don't know. It starts with a D, I think. Stunning.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I have a question--
In JC, Shoprite is known for being one of the less expensive supermarkets, but in some of the suburbs, the renovated Shoprites are actually among the more expensive supermarkets. Shoprite is a franchise, right? And when you go to their Web site, before you get the circular, they ask for your zip code. This indicates that prices vary.

So if they were to renovate Shoprite, the prices would go up, right? And then a lot of people could no longer afford to shop there? I don't know this-- I'm asking if anyone does?

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
"Clearly change needs to happen at Shoprite."

hillarious!! Clearly? Hmm.. why? because you and a few people on a message board were insulted by the rudeness of people that shop there?

LOL!!

"Clearly the place is a cash cow"

Okay, so the place is a cash cow. What does that mean.... hmm, guess it means a lot of people shop there, regardless of the life changing terrible experiences that some of you people have there.

So again, the place is a cash cow, but CLEARLY things need to change? I see from your post how educated you are, but have you taken Economics 101 before?

"Hopefully if you drove there your car wasn't towed or damaged."

When someone can prove that they were legitimately shopping at shoprite and had their car towed, that would be the first.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Knowing a little bit about Inserra Supermarkets (the owner of our Shoprite), they don't consider all stores created equal. Fact is that they treat this one as a ghetto store and as long as they staff it accordingly, this will never change.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 16:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
Oh man Publix. I heart Publix. There is NOTHING like it here. Even Whole Foods experience is not as nice as Publix.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Been bashing Shoprite.
In the interest of full disclosure I should state that I was a manager of Publix supermarkets for 11 years. I have a level 3 food safety certification, which required me to study a 400+ page textbook, take 58 hrs of classroom instruction and pass a three hour exam.
I've made many mistakes as a manager so I'm not perfect but there are some things that would be very clear to any average supermarket manager.
Clearly change needs to happen at Shoprite. Clearly the place is a cash cow so its upper level management is not motivated to change.
I really want Shoprite here near me to succeed. The first step needs for them to publicly acknowledge the problems that are obvious.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Most stores that have sushi have distinct employees that they hire or have an outside company come in for that service. Probably one of the cleanest areas in the entire store. Enjoy your sushi if you can safely get it through the front registers & past the parade of "characters" near the front door. Hopefully if you drove there your car wasn't towed or damaged.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Hmmm...I've eaten their sushi many times, and I have yet to get sick, even a little.

That's reassuring. It really does look pretty decent---on par with any other grocery store sushi. It's reasonably priced, too. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

Quote:
I would tell you, but my membership in G.R.O.S.S. prevents it.

Nice =)

Posted on: 2009/8/12 13:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/7 13:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Has anyone tried the sushi at ShopRite?

It actually looks decent, but I'm unwilling to try it on a weeknight where a bout of food sickness would prevent me from going to work the next day.

Do yourself a favor, and when you get there, just keep walking.

Hmmm...I've eaten their sushi many times, and I have yet to get sick, even a little.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 8:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cruzinforabruzin wrote:
ahhh shoprite versus a&p....makes me wish for the INTERNATIONAL FOOD MART that used to be where target is....

My friend and I went there when we were still in high school and snapped a couple pics of canned quail eggs to show our classmates. We didn't have those at the local Acme.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

3rdandwild wrote:
I had a little run-in with this lady at the shoprite this weekend.

She was blocking an entire shelf with her cart and herself, so I had to squeeze my way in to get what I want. My tote bag mildly hit her when I passed through.

She went "Excuse you!". I looked over her
Then she went
"Yeah. I am talking to you! You should excuse yourself when you run into someone!"

I said "Well then, you should excuse yourself where you park your cart".

She said "Uh-huh. You almost knocked me down! Excuse yourself F**kin' A**hole!!!"

I was so surprised how aggressive she was, so I just said "Have a nice day" and left, which she didn't enjoy at all.

The store is like 3rd country war zone.

rofl. this is precious. someone is rude to you and you describe it as a "3rd country war zone". best laugh i've had today. thank you

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:45

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017