Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: ShopRite - the place where you feel safe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
is that a Calvin & Hobbes reference?

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Has anyone tried the sushi at ShopRite? It actually looks decent, but I'm unwilling to try it on a weeknight where a bout of food sickness would prevent me from going to work the next day.

I would tell you, but my membership in G.R.O.S.S. prevents it.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i remember them i used to get my favorite brand of peanuts there. People are willing to drive crazy distances though for groceries though. I've only gone to wegmans when i go to buy music supplies.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/11 20:47
Group:
Registered Users
ahhh shoprite versus a&p....makes me wish for the INTERNATIONAL FOOD MART that used to be where target is....liquor store where you could buy like a pallet of beer in any flavor you wanted, as well as every ethnicity of food you could imagine...a little dirty but so is jersey city....anyway cant beat the freshness at shoprite crowded means high rotation of product. a&p i'd spend 250 bucks and half of it would go bad by the end of the week so i stopped going there.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are nut jobs everywhere I don't know what you expect? I mean ok i've seen an all out brawl take place in front of the Pathmark on grand. Oh and about why the one on Grand looks the worst is because it got renovated the most recently. The last renovated Pathmark i know of was the edgewater one so it looks the nicest.

Hell the A&P(Food Emporium) in fort lee has its fair of hostile customers. Its also a lot nicer then any supermarket in JC and has a full liqour section open til 2 am in the store. God go back to the midwest ya damn hipsters. People fight it happens.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:
Has anyone tried the sushi at ShopRite?

It actually looks decent, but I'm unwilling to try it on a weeknight where a bout of food sickness would prevent me from going to work the next day.

Do yourself a favor, and when you get there, just keep walking.

It's probably the best sushi around. After all, it's a grocery store, they should have no problem keeping fresh fish in stock.

I will say that I haven't had any problem with the canned food or boxed dry food like cereal at Shop Rite. This puts it ahead of C-Town, which has a woefully inadequate sushi selection.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 2:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

susiederkins wrote:

It actually looks decent, but I'm unwilling to try it on a weeknight where a bout of food sickness would prevent me from going to work the next day.

Do yourself a favor, and when you get there, just keep walking.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/11 22:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I wish that someday Shoprite would be a little clean {their meat and fish dept as of 6 weeks ago was disgusting} and almost moderately safe. I hope the employees and customers might some day be something remotely close to cordial. Having a barely acceptable supermarket close to my apartment would make my life more convenient.
Until that day I won't shop there because:
1.) I don't believe they will be motivated to change until it affects their income.
2.) I don't need extra drama or aggravation in my life.
3.) A&P, Stop & Shop, other Shoprites, Traders Joes & Whole Foods are all viable options for me.
4.) I am afraid that eating their refrigerated food would put me at a greater risk of getting sick.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

I had a bad experience at Shoprite about 10 years ago. I was waiting on line and, for once in my life, the line I was in was moving faster than the others. What I didn't know was that the woman in front of me had her BF or SO in the next line to see which would move faster. The guy cuts in front of me with HIS cart of groceries (she had one too). I was tired and annoyed but all I did was cluck my tongue. I didn't even know anyone heard me and all of a sudden they start yelling "White bitch! Stupid white c*nt! Get a tan you f'ing cracker!" And they kept taunting me! I'm 5'2" and was by myself. I'm not going to go up against these idiots.

Wow. Seems like it might be the same couple.

We need Curtis Sliwa and his Hell's Angels to run security at these shopping centers. They did wonders for the Rolling Stones.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

I had a bad experience at Shoprite about 10 years ago. I was waiting on line and, for once in my life, the line I was in was moving faster than the others. What I didn't know was that the woman in front of me had her BF or SO in the next line to see which would move faster. The guy cuts in front of me with HIS cart of groceries (she had one too). I was tired and annoyed but all I did was cluck my tongue. I didn't even know anyone heard me and all of a sudden they start yelling "White bitch! Stupid white c*nt! Get a tan you f'ing cracker!" And they kept taunting me! I'm 5'2" and was by myself. I'm not going to go up against these idiots. I didn't know what to do. Nobody did a damn thing. What scared me more was that the taunts continued in the parking lot. I just got in my car and left, hoping they weren't crazy enough to follow me.

Yeah, but wasn't that worth saving a couple of bucks for?

Ten years ago, the A&P was either the old crappy pre-renovation (and pre price-jack-up) A&P or its previous incarnation, Waldbaum's.

But don't let facts get in the way of you ridiculing somebody's traumatic experience...

Still.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Last time I visited that Shop Rite was on the evening of 9/11, and only because all the streets south of Grand were closed for emergency vehicles so I had to use my bike instead of driving.

I previously bailed on Shop Rite after getting fed up with rude people - the express checkout lanes, in particular, are a joke - people get in line with overflowing carts, sometimes more than one (maybe they thought the sign meant multiples of 14 items?) - it just made no sense to put up with aggravation when the A&P is just down the road.

FWIW, the Shop Rite is bliss compared with the old Edwards on Central & Franklin (I believe now it's a FoodTown), where I shopped for years. There was a big homeless guy with long hair and a beard who would sit outside the entrance screaming at people entering the store, the place smelled like rotten eggs all the time, and the produce looked like it had served as trampolines before getting a second chance.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 17:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dmrnj wrote:

Where A&P really wins:
-Everything tends to be ......in stock all of the time,

I disagree with that.

I made a trip to A&P yesterday, specifically for two of the circular items, wild alaska salmon 5.99/lb, and 93% lean ground beef 1.99/lb. Great prices, neither in stock, wasted trip.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

I had a bad experience at Shoprite about 10 years ago. I was waiting on line and, for once in my life, the line I was in was moving faster than the others. What I didn't know was that the woman in front of me had her BF or SO in the next line to see which would move faster. The guy cuts in front of me with HIS cart of groceries (she had one too). I was tired and annoyed but all I did was cluck my tongue. I didn't even know anyone heard me and all of a sudden they start yelling "White bitch! Stupid white c*nt! Get a tan you f'ing cracker!" And they kept taunting me! I'm 5'2" and was by myself. I'm not going to go up against these idiots. I didn't know what to do. Nobody did a damn thing. What scared me more was that the taunts continued in the parking lot. I just got in my car and left, hoping they weren't crazy enough to follow me.

Ten years ago, the A&P was either the old crappy pre-renovation (and pre price-jack-up) A&P or its previous incarnation, Waldbaum's.

But don't let facts get in the way of you ridiculing somebody's traumatic experience...

Posted on: 2009/8/11 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/11 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I go to both Shoprite and A&P. I only go to Shoprite when it's not crowded (11PM during the week).

I like A&P even though it tends to be a little more expensive, but as someone pointed out, it's worth it if I need to go on a Saturday afternoon. It's never as crowded as Shoprite.

I've been in JC for 20 years and I can count on one hand the bad experiences I've had with other people. That's pretty good.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 15:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/20 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
Got a reply from ShitRope today. Here's what they have to say:

"Thank you for emailing ShopRite. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

First, we want to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent shopping trip. We are concerned to hear of your experience with this store associate. At ShopRite, our customers are the most important part of our business and customer service is top priority. Your feedback is very important because it helps us focus on issues that require improvement.

As you may know, ShopRite stores are owned and operated by independent companies. Wakefern provides the stores with products and retail support services but the storeowner ultimately controls the day-to-day operations. We?ve sent a copy of the information you provided to the owner of this store for further follow up with their management team.

We want to assure you that all of us at Wakefern and ShopRite share a commitment to ensure our customers are completely satisfied with our stores, products, and the services we provide. Customers who care enough to let us know when we?ve fallen short are our most valuable resources. We regret any inconvenience this matter has caused and we hope we?ll be able to restore your confidence in us.

If we can be of any assistance in the future, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Melissa P.
Customer Care Team Leader"

Bunch of BS and nothing specific. Which probably means the management is just gonna accidentally loose the fax papers/e-mail and live happily ever after. :)

Posted on: 2009/8/11 14:59
"You are the flower and I am the bee" - Ko Bong, Zen Master.
- But, if the whole world is a single flower, then who is the bee?

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
As if it matters, I use both markets.

I try to only hit Shop Rite when I have the patience for the people or want some entertainment.

Last night I was there picking up a few things for dinner, since I never weigh my produce, I only just noticed there was only one scale in the produce section. I stood there and watched this younger woman weigh and re weigh three or four peaches to see which three she wanted. Pretty amusing.

I must say A&P is generally a less stressful experience and I've gotten Wagyu beef there which I'm always pretty happy about.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dmrnj wrote:

A rational post that leaves out fear mongering tactics and implied socio-economic status superiority

um, i think you're on the wrong site. this is jclist here.. we dont allow for rational posts

Posted on: 2009/8/11 13:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/19 0:09
Group:
Registered Users
Definitely a big fan of JC A&P over Shop Rite. I live closer to A&P, but I'm near SR enough and a vehement couponer.

What SR has going for it:
-Definitely has a better selection on things like fish... you won't find shark or swordfish or mahi mahi at A&P but they have them frozen at SR, plus at least a couple of kinds of salmon. A&P usually only has your basics.
-A&P doesn't accept internet coupons. I stopped printing them out, but when I used to go to SR in central jersey, they took these.
-Shop Rite brand is better than America's Choice, I think, and they have more store brand items.
-More produce, I think. Like, more varieties of apples and loose onions and such.

Where A&P really wins:
-Everything tends to be clean and in stock all of the time, and yet they aren't blocking aisles stocking things. I tried to buy a Sunday paper at SR this week and there was only one copy left and it was all torn up. A&P always has a handcart sitting there with reserve supplies.
-People aren't dragging their stupid too-wide BJs carts into Shoprite and blocking entire aisles from 2-way traffic. Hooray.
-Better parking. With Linens and Things closed there's always parking.
-Self checkout! Even if there are only 4 cashiers open, there are 4 more registers. I've never had to wait more than 5-6 minutes in line.
-Excellent cheese selection. I like their bakery as much, or better, than Shop Rite's.
-Carol Lugo is a cashier there! (look on nj.com for America's Got Talent)

I have to say that their front-page loss leaders tend to be equal in quality and rotation.

If you insist on shopping at Shop Rite but hate the JC crowds, you can take the light rail pretty close to the Hoboken Shop Rite which is pretty darn nice.

And for the great price comparison... from their online shopping carts, here's a rundown of some basic items

1 gallon whole milk
Shop Rite store brand - 3.79
A&P store brand - 3.39 (win)

Palmolive dish soap 25 oz
Shop Rite - 2.99 (win)
A&P - 3.29

Loaf of Pepperidge Farm bread (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 3.99

Ben & Jerry's pint (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 3.99

Stove Top stuffing 6 oz (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 2.19

Charmin Ultra Soft Mega Roll 6ct (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 10.19

Hershey's miniatures - 12oz bag
Shop Rite - 3.49 (win)
A&P - 3.69

Tyson Buffalo Chicken Strips - 25oz (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 8.99

Sore brand corn oil 48fl oz (tie)
Shop Rite / A&P - 2.99

For the $1 or $2 it's negligible for me, since they actually have their sale stuff in stock and thus save me more money in the long run. Plus, being close to Target, if you know that their regular prices on milk and frozen foods are cheaper than non-sale prices of the supermarkets, you have that option.

But if you're paying full price for groceries, you're silly. If it's not on sale at Target, Shop Rite, A&P, CVS, Pathmark, or a dollar store, then you have a good excuse to go to the Trader Joe's in edgewater or union square.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Edgewater today to do some shopping and decided to stop off at the Pathmark there. Whoa! That place is awesome! They had this great cafe and a gelato station. I couldn't believe now nice it was compared to all of the supermarkets in JC.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

3rdandwild wrote:
I had a little run-in with this lady at the shoprite this weekend.

She was blocking an entire shelf with her cart and herself, so I had to squeeze my way in to get what I want. My tote bag mildly hit her when I passed through.

She went "Excuse you!". I looked over her
Then she went
"Yeah. I am talking to you! You should excuse yourself when you run into someone!"

I said "Well then, you should excuse yourself where you park your cart".

She said "Uh-huh. You almost knocked me down! Excuse yourself F**kin' A**hole!!!"

I was so surprised how aggressive she was, so I just said "Have a nice day" and left, which she didn't enjoy at all.

The store is like 3rd country war zone.

not to nitpick, but what did you expect would happen if you bumped into someone who im guessing is larger and tougher than you without saying 'im sorry'? ive bumped into people at clubs and actually said sorry, and ive gotten an earful - i cant imagine what would have happened if i chose to blame them instead.

next time a quick sorry instead of trying to place a blame might save you from something worse than a shouting match.

while i dont support such a response from someone at shoprite after being bumped into, im not 100% surprised by it either.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/17 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent ad placement to combat the negative reviews, well done Google!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/8/11 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
ok. the other guy seemed to assume it was two guys.

the original story didn't mention any pushback

Posted on: 2009/8/10 23:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/20 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, but we're talking about the supermarket here with 2 of their children present and hundreds of other customers around you. You would expect some kind of interaction from management in a situation like this. You're not just gonna start a fight there. And by the way, my buddy is a girl ;) and I did told them to f... off.

Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
The feminization of American males continue. I'm not saying to rip your shirt off and beat the shit out of the dude, but seriously you and your buddy need to grow a set and tell the dude to F off.

Ha!

It's true. Loud-talking a-holes need to get shouted down sometimes.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 23:42
"You are the flower and I am the bee" - Ko Bong, Zen Master.
- But, if the whole world is a single flower, then who is the bee?

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
I like A&P for the sale items which are priced like shoprite. You are right about everyday prices being high on things like meat & dairy. The coffee and food bar are nice and convenient for me. I'm curious why they don't lower prices more. Seems like they could take business from shoprite, but you are right they are trying to cater more to the yuppie crowd from Hoboken.

Especially since the light rail is not convenient to it. Why didn't they build a light rail station (elevated) between the A&P and Target?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 23:40
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
Increasing your carbon footprint to drive 40 miles to shop? Wegmans is located in both Woodbridge and Bridgewater. Woodbridge is about 25 miles away. There is nothing wrong with taking a little ride perhaps on your day off to Central Jersey to both shop and perhaps enjoy other things too. The very best bumper sticker that I have ever seen said " Save The World...Kill Yourself!" I'll always remember it - I think it's great. I certainly do not waste things - but I am going to enjoy this life a bit also. I find some of this environmental stuff good - but a lot is a bunch of nonsense. So to the person that wrote about their carbon footprint - well - you walk to Shoprite. But don't make others feel guilty if they wish to take a drive to shop elsewhere. That's just being plain silly!! President Obama took his wife on a date to New York from Washington too. Where does one draw the line about their carbon footprint? Come on over to Wegmans, folks. You will not believe the wonderful customer service you will receive there!

Bill, don't get me wrong, I looove Wegman's - but driving that distance just for some food strikes me as rather wasteful. If you can combine a bunch of other stuff with the trip, all the better - but hey, whatever rocks people's boats...I always go to Wegman's and get a bunch off stuff when I visit my parents (I love the old-fashioned sub sandwiches).

Posted on: 2009/8/10 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Increasing your carbon footprint to drive 40 miles to shop? Wegmans is located in both Woodbridge and Bridgewater. Woodbridge is about 25 miles away. There is nothing wrong with taking a little ride perhaps on your day off to Central Jersey to both shop and perhaps enjoy other things too. The very best bumper sticker that I have ever seen said " Save The World...Kill Yourself!" I'll always remember it - I think it's great. I certainly do not waste things - but I am going to enjoy this life a bit also. I find some of this environmental stuff good - but a lot is a bunch of nonsense. So to the person that wrote about their carbon footprint - well - you walk to Shoprite. But don't make others feel guilty if they wish to take a drive to shop elsewhere. That's just being plain silly!! President Obama took his wife on a date to New York from Washington too. Where does one draw the line about their carbon footprint? Come on over to Wegmans, folks. You will not believe the wonderful customer service you will receive there!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Blumpkin wrote:
The feminization of American males continue. I'm not saying to rip your shirt off and beat the shit out of the dude, but seriously you and your buddy need to grow a set and tell the dude to F off.

Ha!

It's true. Loud-talking a-holes need to get shouted down sometimes.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I like A&P for the sale items which are priced like shoprite. You are right about everyday prices being high on things like meat & dairy. The coffee and food bar are nice and convenient for me. I'm curious why they don't lower prices more. Seems like they could take business from shoprite, but you are right they are trying to cater more to the yuppie crowd from Hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017