Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: ShopRite - the place where you feel safe!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/5 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
The feminization of American males continue. I'm not saying to rip your shirt off and beat the shit out of the dude, but seriously you and your buddy need to grow a set and tell the dude to F off.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
The first time I lived in JC, about 10 years ago, I lived on 8th St. I used to walk to Shoprite with my granny cart. Of course I noticed that it was crowded, but I also noticed that it was cheap, and back then especially, I had very little money. I don't even know if A&P was built yet at that point, but I really didn't notice that Shoprite was bad. It was...fine. And I remember that when I had pneumonia and needed a prescription, they were very friendly. When I moved back to JC, I began going to Shoprite again. It was a bit more crowded than before, but only if I went on weekends. I've never had a problem with the customers. When I've been there, everyone is just trying to deal with their shopping and get out of there, just like me.

One time I needed something on a weekend and went to A&P. I was appalled at the high prices. I mean, really. They get a lot of yuppies in there, and they take advantage. I decided that I'd shop at Shoprite unless it was a weekend, in which case I'd go to A&P. And I only buy things at A&P if they're on sale, because $6 for ice cream is too much.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 22:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
As a resident of 7th street I used to go to shoprite often because its location is convenient. After many unpleasant shopping experiences {the nature of the problems is no secret to anyone} I've decide to have my own private boycott of shoprite. Their prices are good but to me the negative experience is not worth the hassle. Why does this poison culture exist and why doesn't management look to change it? {Especially if it does not exist at some of the companies other stores.}
The answer is simple....Money!!!
They are busy as hell. They don't need to be polite or clean or safe. Everyone can complain all they want but at the end of the day the only way to effectively advocate change is to simply not shop here. If the business income was to significantly decline 20% I assure you change would come and come fast.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
ahh. . to each their own I guess

It just doesn't seem logical to me to drive 40 miles each way to go pick up some food.

I guess, I must be more adaptable to the ghettoness of Shoprite as I find it asinine to drive an hour each way to go food shopping then to have to deal with the rudeness of a cashier for 5 minutes.

Amen. Talk about a gargantuan carbon footprint if you're driving that distance just for some groceries. I'm no fan of Shop Rite, but I grin and bear it. The prices ease the pain somewhat, especially if you have one of those shopper's cards. I get as little produce as possible and minimize my trips there by stocking up on stuff like toilet paper and detergents. I think I bought enough toilet bowl cleaner this weekend to last at least 6 months because it was on sale.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:

It just doesn't seem logical to me to drive 40 miles each way to go pick up some food.

It doesn't make sense to shop that far away if you have no other business there. Many people commute to western NJ for work, in this case it makes perfect sense to stop off for a pleasant shopping experience before heading back to JC.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
ahh. . to each their own I guess

I guess, I must be more adaptable to the ghettoness of Shoprite as I find it asinine to drive an hour each way to go food shopping then to have to deal with the rudeness of a cashier for 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 20:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
I don?t defend Shoprite. The employees of that store are horrendous, and the produce is rotten most times. But, it?s the cheapest place around, and it?s well-stocked. Try going off-hours, far better experience. And, if you have a car, go to Hoboken.

The Pathmark in the Old Colony Square is a better experience. But, it?s limited and more expensive. The Pathmark on 440 has a much better selection, and the produce is very nice for a supermarket.

A&P is totally overpriced. $13.49/lb for organic chicken...Come on!

Be careful in Stop N Shop in Bayonne. I once opened some really rotten meat, had to toss it. And, a friend had a maggot (worm or whatever) in her salmon....It?s a little dirty.

Morton Williams is part of Wakefern food Coop. Same as Shoprite, and I believe Associated in the City....That?s why you will occasionally see ?ShopRite? brand there.

And, to the original poster, I?m just curious. Were you rude?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
Wegmans is cheaper than most chain food stores on many items - surprise if you did not know this!! One can save lots of money by shopping there. One can also find very expensive fancy items there also if they desire and can afford them. I should know - I've been working there now for 6 years and love it! The Shoprite is fine for certain things but of course the service is horrid. Shoprite does not train/pay their workers enough. You get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't see how Morton Williams gets enough business to be viable. There's never anyone there when I've gone. They have nice produce, meat and fish, but everything is expensive. It seems to me they must rely on the captive customers of Newport who have no cars. They don't seem to be making much of an effort to let anyone else know they are there. They validate parking (you enter the garage from the side street behind the store) but there are only about a dozen spots near the store entrance. Even so, they are mostly empty when I've gone.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:48
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Stop n Shop in Bayonne is worth the trip. Especially if you like to buy organic stuff -- their private label line is really great.

hey we finally agree on something, what's going on?

re: Morton Williams, i didnt know it has parking been in newport and all and no visible parking lot. Supermarket layout looks pretty nice, i will check it out.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Boy, I think you're all a bunch of drama queens.
I've been going to both places for over 10 years.

You must all have a different frame of reference.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe there is a Wegman's that close! I thought they were out of my life forever. Oh, how I long for their sandwiches. I may just have to take a trip...

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
slim26 wrote: The idea of driving to Bridgewater to do your grocery shopping is just great.
Going there right now. I <3 Wegmans.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
This thread is very comical to me.

Talk about being picky. Complaints about the grocery shopping experience and the cashier's personality. The idea of driving to Bridgewater to do your grocery shopping is just great.

For christ's sake, the place has just about everything you need, is right around the corner, and has good prices. Does it really matter if the cashier is happy?

And the comparison's to Pathmark are a bit over the top as well. The few times I go to that parking lot, I fear my car might get stolen while I'm in there. I wouldn't be caught anywhere in the vicinity of that area after dark as I truely do fear for my safety and well being.

Shoprite = overcrowded & perhaps lower income families looking to save a few bucks

Pathmark = ghetto, fear for my life

Posted on: 2009/8/10 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
I don't know why more people don't shop at Morton Williams. Free indoor parking (with $10 purchase) and plenty of room. Are you really saving that much more money by driving to Bayonne or Hoboken or trekking into NYC? Is it worth suffering through the Shop Rite or PathMark experience? I guess I should be happy that the store is never crowded, but on the other hand, I don't want to see the place go under.

Since you asked.... Every time I go to MW I end up with products that are about to expire. Yes, I know, i could check the expiration date before I throw it in my car, and I try to, but inevitably something sneaks by. Something yummy that distracts me so I forget to look at the date.

I'm not talking 3-5 days till expiration. I'm talking THAT DAY.

Maybe it's just crappy luck but it's not worth it to me to have to dig around the products trying to find something with a little bit of a shelf life left in it.

But beyond that, yes, it's a great store, nice parking, good products, etc.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 17:14
Group:
Registered Users
OK, I'm a dissenter here. I love Jersey City's Shop Rite. It is about the most crowded one I know (familiar recently with the Hoboken Shop Rite and the Wall Township Shop Rite and JC's A&P). The crowds at the Jersey City Shop Rite ensure that the fruits and vegetable and fish and meat , cheese and eggs move. The prices seem pretty good too. It is also just about the right size. The new ones are so big that you feel like you have to cover a football field during your weekly shopping chore. And with all that space, those larger stores actually seem to have less to offer in food choice. Jersey City's store has a great Spanish aisle. The Asian needs to be expanded. Cheeses could be better. Nice having the liguor store there too. And the people and staff, yea its diverse and some people are rude. But it feels like Jersey City which is a good thing notwithstanding most posters here.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

3rdandwild wrote:
I had a little run-in with this lady at the shoprite this weekend. She was blocking an entire shelf with her cart and herself, so I had to squeeze my way in to get what I want. My tote bag mildly hit her when I passed through.
She went "Excuse you!". I looked over her
Then she went
"Yeah. I am talking to you! You should excuse yourself when you run into someone!"
I said "Well then, you should excuse yourself where you park your cart".
She said "Uh-huh. You almost knocked me down! Excuse yourself F**kin' A**hole!!!"
I was so surprised how aggressive she was, so I just said "Have a nice day" and left, which she didn't enjoy at all.
The store is like 3rd country war zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stepford_Wives_(1975_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073747/

That idiot lady can dish it out but can't take it. She turned it around as if you are the culprit and she the victim. I liked your response with "have a nice day" that really burns them up. If you can Yuppie it up a notch it will really tick them off even more. The difference between the Shop Rite in J.C. and the Shop Rite in Hoboken is night and day. The shoppers walking around with their carts reminds me of a scene from a 1975 movie called the Stepford Wives. All of the wives were turned into doting robots catering to every the whim of their husbands as well as made up and glistening. At the end of the movie Joanna was the last wife of the community to transform and you see her pushing a shopping cart in the local supermarket with all the other women dressed up to the nines in a very tranquil way.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Stop n Shop in Bayonne is worth the trip. Especially if you like to buy organic stuff -- their private label line is really great.

Yeah if you have a car or live near the light rail -- "Stop n Shop" in Bayonne is where to go - their "Nature's Promise" store brand is as good as, or sometimes even better than, Whole Foods store brand 365 - we've been going since it opened and I have recommended it on here before.

It's also a good excuse to hit a few of the old Mom and Pop places in Bayonne - like the Senerchia Family Meat & Deli market, or that polish food store across the street -- these are right on Broadway at 34th, right before you turn onto 32nd Street to get to "Stop n Shop" ... also further down Broadway there is a new Polish restaurant that just opened but we haven't tried it yet.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I had a little run-in with this lady at the shoprite this weekend.

She was blocking an entire shelf with her cart and herself, so I had to squeeze my way in to get what I want. My tote bag mildly hit her when I passed through.

She went "Excuse you!". I looked over her
Then she went
"Yeah. I am talking to you! You should excuse yourself when you run into someone!"

I said "Well then, you should excuse yourself where you park your cart".

She said "Uh-huh. You almost knocked me down! Excuse yourself F**kin' A**hole!!!"

I was so surprised how aggressive she was, so I just said "Have a nice day" and left, which she didn't enjoy at all.

The store is like 3rd country war zone.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone else getting a Shop Rite ad in the far left column of this thread?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I am all about trying out a new place but price to me is really important. Sometimes I also go to Food Basics up I think its Union City but that ride is just a little too far

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know why more people don't shop at Morton Williams. Free indoor parking (with $10 purchase) and plenty of room. Are you really saving that much more money by driving to Bayonne or Hoboken or trekking into NYC? Is it worth suffering through the Shop Rite or PathMark experience? I guess I should be happy that the store is never crowded, but on the other hand, I don't want to see the place go under.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone knows how I have a bleeding heart for my ghetto.. But im sorry that Pathmark is GHETTO and very dirty, the prices are astronomical I have almost had fights at both Pathmark and ShopRite nothing is worse then getting rammed in the back of the shins with a shopping cart by some little kid whose parent let run loose in the aisles. I think I may check out Stop N Shop now though. Shop-Rite is very crowded and I always try to avoid going there from the 1st-7th... it is CRAZY. Oh and Shop-Rite cashiers will carry on their whole weekend orgy with the cashier next to you while ringing you up.. I have even had a girl stop and turn to the one net to her to finish their convo.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
maybe i'm going at the wrong times to pathmark but i have seen almost fist fights between women there near the checkout lines. god knows what they were arguing about but they had no problem using obscenities in front of each others children and telling each other they were going to kick each others ass. in addition, the riff raff hanging around right outside the exit is a nightmare to maneuver around as well.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
Morton Williams near Newport has free parking and it's super easy. Hardly anyone there.

1.) I keep forgetting about that place probably because I keep thinking there is no parking lot but if you say there is then I will try it out.
2.) How is the quality of their items there I remember some postings when they first opened stating the freshness was debatable and that they were importing some items from ShopRite.
2.) Also is their pricing competitive to ShopRite ?

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
If you have a car, the shopping experience at the Shop Rite in Hoboken is much more pleasant. No towing, close parking, more checkouts open and the cashiers are nicer...oh and there are always rows and rows of carts available at the entrance.

And a cop on duty incase anything gets out of hand. lol there realy is.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MeowMeow wrote:
I only go to the grocery stores in Jersey City for an emergency. I get frustrated and angry just being in their parking lots. I rather drive out of my way to Stop and Shop in Bayonne or Wegman's in Woodbridge, they're cheaper, the service and products are better, and the people are a little nicer. Wegman's is just great in general and is a company that actually treats its employees and customers right. I try to avoid any shopping in JC it's not worth the hassle.

Morton Williams near Newport has free parking and it's super easy. Hardly anyone there.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you have a car, the shopping experience at the Shop Rite in Hoboken is much more pleasant. No towing, close parking, more checkouts open and the cashiers are nicer...oh and there are always rows and rows of carts available at the entrance.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Amy wrote:The crowds can be overbearing on the weekends, but to me, the prices are usually worth braving the crowds.

Stay as far as possible from here on the 1st of the month. I had the unfortunate timing to end up in BJ's and Shoprite on the 1st of this month. Now I have seen these places crowded before, but on food stamp day it is insane. everyone has at least 2 carts, usually more, over flowing with junk food. When I walked into BJ's I had never seen the lines to check out so long.

Posted on: 2009/8/10 10:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017