Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Re: What Happened to the Trash Cans?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/5 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
As a part time dog walker..it is annoying indeed to not have the garbage cans available esp on Jersey Ave :(

Posted on: 2009/8/5 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:
Even more shameful if it's true that our one good Councilman is behind it.

I think you have to understand the limited role a council person has on something like this; the departments are taking their directives from the executive office. In this case, that means Healy. The best thing the council can do is act against executive initiatives, which they are not going to do since they are all Team Healy. So the maverick councilman can at best act as an intermediary between agencies controlled by the executive and the people.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
This is a microcosm of what's wrong with JC. There's a problem with illegal dumping and rather than dealing with the problem in a way that means more work for the city employees (enforcing the law or investigating and pursuing violations) they remove services from everyone in a fit of pique and further decrease the quality of life for all. Shameful.

Exactly.

Even more shameful if it's true that our one good Councilman is behind it.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
jaah+1.

that's your manner-less neighbor's fault. not the city.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
as a result of the removal of cans from my corner a few years ago, my delightful neighbors started dumping their trash next to my stoop (I live on the corner). so what happens next? I get a ticket from the city for failing to keep my sidewalk clean.
true story.

Why don't you politely speak to your neighbors and ask them to stop dumping the garbage near your stoop. Explain to the when your regularly scheduled garbage pick up is and that it is illegal to dump garbage outside on any other night. Explain that there dumping will result in a fine for you and for them ...ask them to please stop. If they do not, snap a few pictures of them doing it and either tell them you are going to send in to the NID for them to be fined (if the don't stop) or just send the pics to the NID. You can also contact the JCIA and alert them to the problem and ask them what they can do. Stand up for yourself or you WILL be fined, don't give in. You have to be persistent and follow up will emails and phone calls after sending in the pics. Good luck!!!

Posted on: 2009/8/4 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
as a result of the removal of cans from my corner a few years ago, my delightful neighbors started dumping their trash next to my stoop (I live on the corner). so what happens next? I get a ticket from the city for failing to keep my sidewalk clean.

true story.

Posted on: 2009/8/4 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Check out an innovative solution being tried in a number of cities, solar powered compacting trash cans. Not that our brokeass city can afford them.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industr ... r-trash-cans_N.htm?csp=34

Posted on: 2009/8/4 3:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/25 2:12
Group:
Banned
See? People can get along here. I think New-Heights would do well to take note on what politeness can do for you.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
This is a microcosm of what's wrong with JC. There's a problem with illegal dumping and rather than dealing with the problem in a way that means more work for the city employees (enforcing the law or investigating and pursuing violations) they remove services from everyone in a fit of pique and further decrease the quality of life for all. Shameful.

Exactly! And I'm a bit surprised that our otherwise excellent Councilman would go along with this in this case.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Bogart and I haven't exactly hit it off here on JCList, but I gotta give credit where it's due. Thanks for succinctly summing up exactly how I feel on the subject.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:59
I live by the river.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/16 18:38
Group:
Registered Users
I hate when I mess up the quotes thing.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

the_weight wrote:
Quote:

kitten wrote:
[quote]
DowntownSteve28 wrote:
I'm also reminded of the PATH money-saving technique of not providing garbage cans under the guise of "security". If the MTA can have them, why can't we? In the meantime I will continue throwing all of my trash onto the tracks.

That's a great idea if you like delays due to track fires. [/quote

I was under the impression all the grease from the McDonald's bags and Crown Fried chicken boxes would make the trains move faster if anything. LOL.

Well that's an amusing way to look at it.

Before you all get the pitchforks out, don't worry. I only throw nonflammable trash there with a note written on fire resistant paper explaining why I am using the tracks as a waste receptacle.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kitten wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:
I'm also reminded of the PATH money-saving technique of not providing garbage cans under the guise of "security". If the MTA can have them, why can't we? In the meantime I will continue throwing all of my trash onto the tracks.

That's a great idea if you like delays due to track fires.

I was under the impression all the grease from the McDonald's bags and Crown Fried chicken boxes would make the trains move faster if anything. LOL.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:

That's a great idea if you like delays due to track fires.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:

The plan must be working though other wise there would be cans there. Security or not it works better this way most people are keeping the PATH properties clean. And by the way I wouldn't discard your waste by leaving a wake into the track reservoir, you may not be welcomed anymore.

Have you looked on those tracks? It looks like somebody has taken their weeks trash and played Johnny Appleseed alongside the platform.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DowntownSteve28 wrote:

The plan must be working though other wise there would be cans there. Security or not it works better this way most people are keeping the PATH properties clean. And by the way I wouldn't discard your waste by leaving a wake into the track reservoir, you may not be welcomed anymore.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OottaBahr wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The steadily disappearing trash cans is largely why the city streets are covered in litter. When there are trash cans, people use them. When there are no trash cans, people use the street.

Also, who cares if people are putting household trash in these cans. Either the city is going to collect the waste from the public trash cans or the city is going to collect it curbside from people's houses.

cause if they put household trash in the public cans it means they are not waiting until the regular pick up day (they want it out of thier house now!) so it fills up the public trash cans, and the cans get filled quickly and then people start tossing basic litter on the streets or in the curbs cause the cans are filled. vicious cycle.

Easily solution to both problems: increase trash curbside trash collection and increase the frequency that public cans are emptied.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 8:40
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The steadily disappearing trash cans is largely why the city streets are covered in litter. When there are trash cans, people use them. When there are no trash cans, people use the street.

Also, who cares if people are putting household trash in these cans. Either the city is going to collect the waste from the public trash cans or the city is going to collect it curbside from people's houses.

cause if they put household trash in the public cans it means they are not waiting until the regular pick up day (they want it out of thier house now!) so it fills up the public trash cans, and the cans get filled quickly and then people start tossing basic litter on the streets or in the curbs cause the cans are filled. vicious cycle.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
What would happen if we all started throwing our trash on the lawn of city hall as an "experiment"? I'm constantly embarassed when I have colleagues visit me, and while talking up the town, the streets look worse than the very worst blocks in the South Bronx. It's hard to take anything seriously around here.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 8:40
Group:
Banned
the garbage can on the corner of mercer and jersey (diagonally across from the library) is constantly overloaded with household trash. and we know the neighbors who come out at night and put it there.

and you wear ugly slippers lady.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/20 14:33
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I contacted the Mayor's Action Bureau about this last week, asking them to put back the missing garbage cans. I was told that only property owners can request garbage cans in front of their property. This may be the case, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

With respect to Steve Fulop, I had contacted him several weeks ago about the garbage cans on Jersey between 1st and Hamilton Park overflowing on weekends. I sent him pictures and suggested the Incinerator Authority needed to increase (or do rather) weekend pickups. His response was that they were going to remove all garbage cans from Jersey Ave. as an experiment. And lo and behold, they disappeared. In my opinion, this is exactly the opposite of what should have happened. Downtown needs more garbage cans, not less. The issue really was the frequency of Incinerator Authority pickups and enforcement of no-dumping rules.

I know someone else on this list had a meeting with Councilman Fulop a few weeks back. Maybe they can share with us what the plan is. In any event, we need the cans back, and perhaps another meeting with the the Councilman (I know he's busy right now) would help him hear our concerns and give him a chance to tell us what the plan is (if any). All interested parties, please PM me and I'll try to set it up.

Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Cleo +1!! ?

I e-mailed Steve Fulop and got a response. He said he had them removed after discussing with ?community groups? (don?t know which ones, but I?d like to know ? HPNA?... Harsimus Cove?...). His reasoning was that they?ve been trying to get the Healy admin to do better picking up the trash and enforcing the laws on those who illegally dump and it hasn?t been effective, so,? the cans go? He added that the plan is to order cans with smaller lids that won?t encourage illegal dumping. No time frame on these new cans.

My 2 cents? I understand the concerns about illegal dumping, but I think it would be a better idea to put the cans back until you can get and deploy the other cans with the smaller lids. Odd that the cans on Jersey south of Newark are still there, while the ones north of Newark are gone.

I know there are plenty of bigger issues since last week, but these little quality of life issue are irritating, especially with a tax increase. If you think that the cans should be returned, I?d encourage you to send an e-mail to Steve Fulop.

Maybe MaryAnn and the DOGJC folks will get involved?

Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:36
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

What Happened to the Trash Cans?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/16 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Help! The public trash cans are being removed from streets in Hamilton Park. Three that I know of have disappeared in the last week. I e-mailed Steve Fulop's office but have not gotten a response. What gives? Are they being sold off to bail out recently nabbed politicians? I have two large dogs and am now forced to walk blocks and blocks looking for a receptacle in which to dump copious amounts of poop each day, but at least I get to strike up conversations with other dog owners who are also walking around with poop in hand and irritated looks on their faces. We're required to clean up after our dogs, but where exactly are we supposed to throw the stuff? Ever since the one on the corner near our house was removed, the sidewalk has been strewn with trash, and yesterday there were three bags filled with dog poop dlying on the sidewalk where the can used to be. I'm sure someone has a brilliant explanation for doing this, and I'm sure it will be entertaining....

Posted on: 2009/8/3 17:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017