Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
97 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: N.J. to focus on supermarkets in poorer communities
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
Someone said A&P's meat and fish sections are good??? Are you kidding me!

If you happened to be referring to me I said it was "decent" not good, "decent" meaning, it will suffice.

Suffice makes more sense in the context of your statement because decent and good are synonyms.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 18:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
Someone said A&P's meat and fish sections are good??? Are you kidding me!

If you happened to be referring to me I said it was "decent" not good, "decent" meaning, it will suffice.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear Garden of Eden is finally selling fresh food. Countless times I went there all the dips and dressings were beyond their expiration date. In alerting store personnel, the response I got was "Why are you telling me this, I don't own the store."

Posted on: 2009/7/23 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 18:57
From NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I may have missed it so please don't jump on me if I did, one person just placed in Garden of Eden and that was it. I know it is in Hoboken not JC but it is a short drive and definitely worth it. Great fresh food! And the cheese section has actual cheese experts. They can tell you which foods, wines and fruits to serve which cheese with and give you a taste of each cheese if you have a couple of hours. I love it...but please don't forget the farmers market for stuff during the season. i could bury my face in the tomatos and omg the okra! And sunflowers and.......

Posted on: 2009/7/23 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Why is it bad if Whole Foods puts smaller stores of out of business? My father owns a small business and it competes with BIG business. If the big business puts him out of commission, so be it - people vote with their dollars.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 0:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
this is helpful producewise. not perfect, but a good starting point. http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgui ... ble/seasonalingredientmap i cook a lot, and i do go to spiffy supermarkets for certain things, but for most stuff i think the pathmark is fine.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 0:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
maybe I've just had bad luck at the places on Newark but I've given them many chances.
It's really those places that I'm not happy with. I have no problems with A&P's produce. I do think their fish and meat department is lacking though, but that's me. I don't think downtown is ready for a Whole Foods or TJ though. It is hard enough for nice restaurants to stay open.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Wouldn't a Whole Foods opening for example create a lot of jobs?

Posted on: 2009/7/22 21:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to have a Wegmans, being a Rochester native and all ;)

Posted on: 2009/7/22 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
I got to Shop-Rite... and I didn't know that was the "ghetto" and can anyone explain to me why you classify it as ghetto?

And this is coming from a girl who lives in the hood, who drives a pretty nice car, who rents, and who VOTES.

I'm curious. Why. do you feel you have to defend "the ghetto" against ignorant outsiders/ downtowners and other jabs from other jabronis.

I don't object to what you're doing, but it's become your signature. I've seen it in other posts.

Is it a concern about race? Or are you defending the downtrodden? Or are you protecting your turf? (I nearly typed turd!) Or something else?

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
A&P is decent. Morton Williams is best IMO. Overpriced yeah, but its the cleanest and neatest, and never crowded. Won't step foot in Shoprite.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
I got to Shop-Rite... and I didn't know that was the "ghetto" and can anyone explain to me why you classify it as ghetto? Just curious... i also go to the fruit stand on Reed and Bergen for my fruits and veggies... never had food rot the next day...actually not Reed but next block over. And I dont think TJ is expensive at all, I think if they had a JC location I would do majority of shopping there except for meats cause their meats are through the roof.

And this is coming from a girl who lives in the hood, who drives a pretty nice car, who rents, and who VOTES.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nightgownposse wrote:
If you are comparing A&P to Whole Foods then you have never been to one or the other.
While A&P is a decent and clean super market it is in no way even in the same ballpark as Whole Foods. Someone said A&P's meat and fish sections are good??? Are you kidding me!
Anyway, downtown does need a good supermarket within walking distance. Leave C-town for those that think it is good enough and put in a Whole Foods! On Newark ave. in one of those 99cent spaces would be nice. OR , how about the old hardware store on Jersey btw. Columbus and Newark. That space is huge.
As for all those little produce marts along Newark... you're lucky if the food isn't spoiled by the time you walk it home.

Ugh, you already said everything. Wish I read this before my post. DAMN you nighgownposse. Oh and I almost forgot..."bomb the pathmark, drive out the riffraff, USA!"

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Garden of Eden!

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
You people are such whiners. Whats the problem with A&P? or Morton Williams? If you need something that fancy remember you live about a mile from the greatest city in America, im sure you can find whatever your little hearts desire there.

Exactly the sentiment that leaves us in this position. People sleep in Jersey City to live in New York because there are nice things there, and nothing nice here.

A&P? It's disgusting. The staff is not nearly as rude as Shop Rite, but, for example, they do not bag the groceries for you. At least places that don't bag everything usually will do some for you when they're done ringing stuff up, but nope.

When groceries are bagged for me at any store around here, I have to ask that Draino and bread not be put in the same bag. I shouldn't even have to ask for that. And while I enjoy the chance to work on my Spanish to make such a request, it shouldn't be a necessity. Why are people hired in customer service roles that can not speak the local language? What's going on at the Exxon station at 12th and Jersey, not only do I find staff there that speak neither English nor Spanish, they don't even know how to attempt to communicate with someone they don't share a language with.

Morton Williams looked nice at first until I tried to actually shop there. They don't have a reasonable selection of anything, they're overpriced to the level of Garden Of Eden, without the good experience and quality.

Visit any normal decent supermarket in any normal decent suburb, and you'll be reminded that what we have to deal with here is unreasonable.

Somewhere on some map of the country where all of JC is lumped together into one demographic, A&P and Shop Rite in Jersey City have been marked as "ghetto" and the store gets no attention. After the renovation of A&P it's not any better, just like the Newport Mall. They just did some painting and rearranging.

The irony is that Pathmark is the best in many ways. It's 24 hours, its produce beats A&P and Shop Rite, and you can easily and safely get a gypsy cab and have it loaded with your groceries (for a dollar by the kids there). You can't take a cab from A&P or Shop Rite in the summer if you have perishables, because you can't count on them being honest about their time of arrival, arriving at all, or taking the customer that called them and not some random other person. And in the winter, who wants to risk suffering in the cold while they wait for a cab that may never come. (After several experiences waiting over 1 hour for a cab from A&P (repeated contact with the cab company of course), I gave up on this tactic, although I was lucky for a while I assume because Travel's office is so close. It should be obvious when someone calls from a supermarket how to handle it, but no cab company is even polite enough to let me give instructions like "please come a couple minutes early, wait for me if necessary and I'll pay for any wait, and don't let someone else take the car, I have perishables".

I just want a normal nice supermarket. Publix is the -perfect- example (well, perhaps they vary as well, but every one I've seen has been nice). Yes I love a place like Garden Of Eden, it's a pleasure to shop there. But I shouldn't have to go to a high-end gourmet store in order to get reasonable products and service. And A&P and Shop Rite both have nice stores in nice towns. They just looked at a map and decided that we get a bad one.

C-Town holds the honor of the only place that's ever given me cereal and canned food that were bad, despite being more than a year before their expiration date.

The treatment at Home Depot where they want to detain you to check your receipt on the way out is beyond offensive (and they're coming very close to committing some serious crimes when they do this). At first, since they were polite and I had used the self-check-out, I cooperated. I ignore them now, after an outrageously rude incident. They had a line of people having receipts checked. I'm carrying a very heavy item that would not fit in a cart. I paid at the cashier closest to the security person. The security person wanted me to stand with this box waiting in line for them to check my receipt. Nowhere to set it besides on the floor, which would have been a huge pain to pick it up from. No recognition that they're asking for something insane, no attempt to help with the situation. No realization that the cashier could easily tell the security person that I paid. I just kept walking. They lost a lot of good will there.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
So what exactly makes the ones you listed so nice? Because it says "organic" or some other crap you probely buy into, that makes it "nice"? Grow your own garden if you want"nice" food.

Spoken like someone who has never been to wegmans. The mini-marts around here sell "last call" produce that rots the next day. Wegmans sells a HUGE variety of produce and most is jersey fresh, which means it's locally grown and supports the agriculture of our state. Besides that, their baked goods and prepared foods are amazing.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you are comparing A&P to Whole Foods then you have never been to one or the other.
While A&P is a decent and clean super market it is in no way even in the same ballpark as Whole Foods. Someone said A&P's meat and fish sections are good??? Are you kidding me!
Anyway, downtown does need a good supermarket within walking distance. Leave C-town for those that think it is good enough and put in a Whole Foods! On Newark ave. in one of those 99cent spaces would be nice. OR , how about the old hardware store on Jersey btw. Columbus and Newark. That space is huge.
As for all those little produce marts along Newark... you're lucky if the food isn't spoiled by the time you walk it home.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkAszCA9dI

We need to transform our school lunches now.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/12 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
I was expecting to see Pathmark mentioned more than once by now. I was anticipating one of those "bomb the pathmark, drive out the riffraff, USA!" posts.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Crazy Chester...does that have to do with the character from The Band song?

That's the guy.

Ahh. Rick Danko.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gt2220 wrote:
Back to the original point of the post ... I think this is great if this proposal goes through and is executed properly, poorer communities desperately need access to fresh produce to help combat the near-epidemic health crisis in this country. In an ideal world that produce would be organic/local/etc but that is not a financial possibility at a this time - given the state we're in access to any kind of affordable produce would be a step in the right direction. Too many people are dependent on junk food not only because it's cheap but also because there isn't much of an alternative.

Hopefully one day, via legislation and community action, we can make it so organic, local carrots are cheaper than a bag of chips but until that day there are smaller battles to fight. This is definitely a positive step.

Thanks. I think you well-summarized the public policy served by the proposal. Health crises and childhood obesity are of particular concern.

Of course, there will be the inevitable rancor about laissez-faire economics, market forces on downtown rents, and that buggiest of bears: foodstamps and WIC.

But all that doesn't add up to much: the short and long term costs of emergency room trips and poor nutrition are well with some spending on the front end. It's quite a simple Keynesian approach on this one, and can help push neighborhood and urban revitalization.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/17 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
Back to the original point of the post ... I think this is great if this proposal goes through and is executed properly, poorer communities desperately need access to fresh produce to help combat the near-epidemic health crisis in this country. In an ideal world that produce would be organic/local/etc but that is not a financial possibility at a this time - given the state we're in access to any kind of affordable produce would be a step in the right direction. Too many people are dependent on junk food not only because it's cheap but also because there isn't much of an alternative.

Hopefully one day, via legislation and community action, we can make it so organic, local carrots are cheaper than a bag of chips but until that day there are smaller battles to fight. This is definitely a positive step.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was trying to make the point that if me, you or whoever wants to spend their money on a nice car a row house, condo, whatever....good for me, good for them , good for you. So who cares? Why should you demean someone for expressing a desire to have a Whole Foods downtown? I don't own a car by the way.
Surprise Surprise.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
You two crack me up. Why is Whole Foods a joke? Sort of immature to name call people because of their opinions don't you think?

So to get to Tendershoots and Continental, do you need a car? And if you use one are you a pathetic yuppie? I am new to area.

I would have left it alone but you had to make a snide pretentious" driving nice cars "and" eating nice foods" comment. Thats where the yuppie comment came from.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
I agree, the A&P is good.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand people who complain about the A&P store. It has a pretty good butcher/fish selection, nice produce selection, decent organic and bakery. What more do you want? If you are really into specialty foods, go into the city to whole foods or trader joes. Sure, it would be nice to have one of those in JC but the A&P is pretty darn good.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, JC you walk to all of these places right? Just don't want you be called a yuppie or a loser for owning a car.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

That's the guy.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Not troll - uninformed maybe. And weirdly defensive of something I can't imagine you have a personal stake in.

There is no comparison between the A&P and a Whole Foods. Produce, whether organic or not, is vastly inferior in quality and variety at A&P. WF doesn't carry items with partially hydrogenated fats. The difference between their bakeries and prepared meals sections is similar to the difference between a Malibu and a BMW. And that's fine - lots of people are happy driving a Malibu and it works for them. Many people prefer a BMW and have the means to pay for it. Equally good for them. (For the record, I don't drive a BMW or anything in that price category. Not my thing. But I don't feel the need to denigrate the people who do.)

Jealousy is part of the human condition - I know. But it seems there is a disproportionately large segment of JC that has that "it's good enough for me it should be good enough for everybody else" mentality - why? Why does someone's desire to not eat carcinogens on their fruit threaten you so much? Why does it spark such a sharp reaction? What is it to you? How are you affected? Because it is posted on here? Don't read it if it bothers you that much.

Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Oh and no I dont have a "nice" car . I drive a practicle car that gets me from point A to point B. Id say another 2 minutes till I get called a troll because I hurt some yuppies feelings.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 19:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
It would be nice to have a whole foods or trader Joe's local, so you Don't have to take the PATH to NYC or drive. I agree.

But I would say, we have a decent mix of supermarkets local. Sure they are not the uber-gourmet super stores, but I think that makes shopping fun. Then again I am a foodie chef and others may not agree with me.

I like the fact, that I can hit up Shoprite or A&P for staples. Go to BJ's for large quanties of Protein. Then hit local small grocers or farmer's markets for fresh breads, produce, etc. I think that is part of the urban experience. For instance I love that I can walk into a mom and pop butcher and fish monger and maybe grab a cuban coffee on the way.

That's the part of city life that makes it unique and at the end of the day its beneficial for the local community.

Would i go to a whole foods or trader Joes if they open, yes, but I would not want that to change the local stores we have now. Go to far in one direction and you have the suburbanization of our cities.

Then your city is just Edgewater - which is really just suburbia on the water. I'm just sayin....

Posted on: 2009/7/22 18:59

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017