Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Crime is Down, but 4 Cops Shot on Bergen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Residency requirements disqualify from service qualified personnel. Public salaries either must go up to offset the higher cost of living, or add to the public payrolls less qualified persons.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
This is truly awful and it is making national news, so maybe some outside pressure will be applied to the local banana republic rule that goes on around here.

Imagine if this had gone down around that park on the north side of Wayne that is a known drug den?

As far as I'm concerned anytime you allow areas to be known drug dens you create a combustible situation that flares up every so often. The summer is only getting hotter and something needs to be done about this situation citywide now...

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:16

Re: 10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.weichert.com/25134768/

you can own this building for 1.6 million :)

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:13

Re: 10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
perhaps it is time to have a residential requirement for police officers and all city workers.

Worst public policy ever.

Hoboken paid cops to move and live in the projects and by all accounts it has improve things so your horribly wrong.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:13
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Why is that, Ian?

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
perhaps it is time to have a residential requirement for police officers and all city workers.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Healy Administration, Comey...when the HELL are they going to get serious about ridding the bad element out of Jersey City. They need to address crime, attack it, take whatever means necessary get a handle on crime situation. Healy has run both times on platforms with a campaign promise of safer streets, more policing.

His Administration is too concerned with giving developers abatement's rather addressing a deep rooted issue such as crime.

Let's see city council meeting on the crime issue...People perhaps we need a march on City Hall...Let's call this administration out on crime...Make them provide a serious plan to address the bad element.

If I had my way, I say let's roll through Jersey City in Tanks and equipment for War and go after the bad element...Yes a War on Crime...round them up, do whatever it takes to show the criminasl and the bad element, that they are not welcome in Jersey City and take their business elsewhere.

the cops were investigating these people. they knew they were criminals. presumably, when they went to arrest them, they got fired upon. i dont know what more they could have done to get the 'bad element' out than what they already did.

It's mentioned that "Its a bad corner. Everyone knows to stay away because that's where the dealers hang out," "It was only a matter of time before something like this happened."

So no not enough is being done...if it's known to be a bad area as there are quite a few in Jersey City, which the Jersey Journal did a heat map on, then it needs to be seriously addressed across the city, not just in this instance.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:07

Re: Five cops wounded in Jersey City shootout
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/17 12:32
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/nyregion/17jersey.html?hp

A chaotic predawn shootout outside a Jersey City apartment building between a shotgun-wielding suspect and the police left five officers wounded ? two critically, including one shot in the face ? and two suspects dead, according to the Jersey City mayor, Jerramiah Healy, who spoke at a news conference in Jersey City.

Five police officers were taken to New Jersey Medical Center with gunshot wounds in what Mayor Healy called a ?terrible gunfight,? and several others sustained injuries relating to the fight.

The officer who had been shot in the face had no signs of life when he was brought in, officials said, but was revived, said doctors at the Jersey City Medical Center. He remained in extremely critical condition.

The other police officer in critical condition was hit in the neck and was in surgery.

Of the other officers injured, one was hit in the vest, another in the arm, and another was grazed in the leg by a bullet and already released.

Gunfire erupted just after 5 a.m. outside an apartment on 24 Reed Street near Bergen Avenue, where the two suspects had already been under investigation by the police. According to another Jersey City law official who requested anonymity, the two people dead are suspected of conducting a robbery in Jersey City with shotguns in June.

One of the suspects had come out of the apartment carrying a shotgun and ammunition and ?ready for war,? said the Jersey City police chief, Tom Comey, and when the police officers approached him, the suspect opened fired.

The suspect retreated into the apartment, and the officers called for emergency backup. About an hour later, with building evacuated, a team of heavily armed emergency service officers went in, and the shootout erupted. The police chief said at least one shotgun blast was fired through a wall or door.

?These individuals were sought by our department,? Chief Comey said. ?This individual came to us fully ready to go to war with us. That weapon was meant to hunt nothing other than men.?

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
That quote is priceless. "I hate this city". I have always respected the police and I sympathize with these injured officers but perhaps it is time to have a residential requirement for police officers and all city workers. I know the officer was in an emotional state but her statement reveals a lot about what's wrong with some of our city employees. My prayers are with the officers.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Comey and Healy just had a press conference they said 2 cops were critical, one was shot in the face the other in the neck. 3 others were shot but not serious and 3 were injured. They said the suspects were wanted in a robbery from 10 days ago and the police were watching the car, when the suspect came to move the car the police approached them and the man had a shot gun and shot the cop in the face and started shooting at the cop car. They ran in the building and barricaded themselves in. When police tried to get in the apartment they started shooting through the wall and door hitting the other officers.

They said more imformation will be released this afternoon.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JRL wrote:
Healy Administration, Comey...when the HELL are they going to get serious about ridding the bad element out of Jersey City. They need to address crime, attack it, take whatever means necessary get a handle on crime situation. Healy has run both times on platforms with a campaign promise of safer streets, more policing.

His Administration is too concerned with giving developers abatement's rather addressing a deep rooted issue such as crime.

Let's see city council meeting on the crime issue...People perhaps we need a march on City Hall...Let's call this administration out on crime...Make them provide a serious plan to address the bad element.

If I had my way, I say let's roll through Jersey City in Tanks and equipment for War and go after the bad element...Yes a War on Crime...round them up, do whatever it takes to show the criminasl and the bad element, that they are not welcome in Jersey City and take their business elsewhere.

the cops were investigating these people. they knew they were criminals. presumably, when they went to arrest them, they got fired upon. i dont know what more they could have done to get the 'bad element' out than what they already did.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Up to 8 officers now, according to the NY Times

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:36

Re: Five cops wounded in Jersey City shootout
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/6/3 23:45
Group:
Registered Users
Wow... crazy, my dad just called me (from out of state) telling me about this... unreal.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Crap this made the national news, good thing the criminals are dead. Hopefully all the cops have a speedy and full recovery.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:35
ಠ_ಠ

Five cops wounded in Jersey City shootout
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
(CNN) -- Five police officers were wounded and two suspects killed Thursday in a shooting in Jersey City, New Jersey, authorities said.

Two officers sustained serious injuries

Posted on: 2009/7/16 14:30

10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Now they are saying 8 cops were injured!
8 cops hurt in NJ shootout; 2 suspects dead

By VICTOR EPSTEIN ? 9 minutes ago

JERSEY CITY, N.J. ? A police spokesman in Jersey City, N.J., says eight police officers were injured in an early morning shootout and two suspects are dead.

Lt. Edgar Martinez says five officers were shot and three had other injuries.

A city official who spoke the condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to release the information says one police officer is in critical condition.

The officers were taken to Jersey City Medical Center.
======================

10 to 20 shots heard in shootout with cops; that block is trouble, neighbor says

by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Thursday July 16, 2009, 9:00 AM

There were at least 10 to 20 shots fired in the shootout between Jersey City police and the two armed suspects at a Reed Street apartment this morning that left three cops injured, a neighbor tells The Jersey Journal.

Jose Melendez, 59, who lives at the corner of Bergen and Duncan avenues about half a block from the shootout, said he was awakened by the gunfire. He said he was too afraid to come out and see what was going on.

Four cops were injured in two incidents this morning. An earlier shooting of a cop by two armed people -- reported to be a man and a woman -- set off a massive manhunt for the two. A confrontation between cops and the pair left three more cops injured and the two suspects dead, a source said.

Hector Fuentes, 34, a neighbor of Melendez, said it was only a matter of time before this sort of incident happened.

"That street over there is no good -- drugs," Fuentes said. "People hang around every night and every day. I've been waiting for something like this to happen. Police are always around there, on the block.

Fuentes said he was on Reed Street yesterday to get his car and overheard one man tell another "Don't follow me -- the police are everywhere."

One man who was not identified told News 12 that he lives next door to the apartment where the shooting occurred and "I seen mad, mad blood."

Another woman, also not identified, told News 12 she saw cops on Bergen Avenue spot a man with a gun and chased him onto Reed Street "and then they started shooting at the cops."

Police spokesman Lt. Edgar Martinez said that a command post was being set up Downtown on Jersey Avenue near the Jersey City Medical Center, where the four wounded officers were taken.

Bergen Avenue from Fairmount Avenue to Montgomery Street is closed and numerous other streets around the scene are still blocked off while police continue to investigate.

A news conference is being held shortly at the Jersey City Medical Center.

Stay with Hudson County Now for more updates.

========================
Dramatic gunfire in JC this morning; cops shot; suspects dead

Hudson Reporter

As many as five police officers in Jersey City were injured when gunfire was exchanged among several officers and suspects in a building on Reed Street shortly after 5 a.m. this morning. Reports say that two suspects are dead.

Channel 11 news says: "Reports say at 5:15am an armed black man and woman wearing long robes and black hoodies shot at officers for as of yet unknown reasons at 24 Reed Street in Jersey City. Unconfirmed reports state at around 6:45am the two suspects were 'neutralized,' which may mean they are in custody or dead. They were cornered in a building on the corner of Reed Street and Bergen Avenue, which was first searched and evacuated."

============================

Fox has Video
http://www.myfoxny.com/

========================

Four Jersey City police officers shot, 2 suspects killed in downtown shootout

BY Matthew Lysiak and Brian Kates
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Thursday, July 16th 2009, 8:25 AM

Four Jersey City cops were wounded and two suspects killed early Thursday when gunfire erupted outside what neighbors described as a known drug den, officials reported.

The officers were taken to Jersey City Medical Center, where one was fighting for his life. The others were treated for minor wounds.

The shots rang out at about 5 a.m. outside a building near the corner of Reed St. and Bergen Ave., witnesses said.

"I heard three loud booms then what sounded like a bunch of firecrackers going off," said Charles Benjamin, a butcher who lives on the block.

"I looked out the window and saw four cops huddled over a police officer lying on the ground," Benjamin said.
"There was blood everywhere. The cop was not moving."

Benjamin said a female police officer yelled at witnesses to take cover.

"Get your heads down, get your heads down!" she shouted, choking back tears.

"I hate this city!" she cried repeatedly, according Benjamin said.

Richard Asakiewicz, 32, who lives on block and was standing outside when cops stormed the building, said it appeared five cops were wounded.

"I saw three cops run into the building on the corner," he said. "All three came out shot, one in the leg, one in the arm, and one in the chest. The guy shot in the chest looked pretty bad. Two more cops went in and they got shot."

Askakiewicz said the shooters were a man and a woman, who both appeared to be in their 20s.

The Jersey City Police Department told reporters the officers were making an arrest in connection to an incident that occurred about a week ago.

Area residents said the apartment building at 24 Reed St. where the shooting took place is known for drug activity.

"Its a bad corner. Everyone knows to stay away because that's where the dealers hang out," said Hector Fuentes, 34. "It was only a matter of time before something like this happened."

As cops swarmed the neighborhood searching for witnesses and other potential suspects, the wounded officers'
relatives were rushed to the Jersey City Medical Center.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
i wonder if this couple is the couple that assaulted and robbed the couple a few nights ago on grand.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
Horrible. Isn't that right near the Beacon?

It is not right near but it is about the same distance away as Van Vorst to the end of the Ferris HS field. It is closer to St Peters then it is to the Beacon though.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/27 12:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:

No it's more towards JFK, do you even live in this city?

it is about 6-7 to six blocks from the beacon...

about 3 to montgomery and a few blocks down...

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:

No it's more towards JFK, do you even live in this city?

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:36
ಠ_ಠ

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:33

Five Police Officers wounded in Jersey City shootout
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/16 13:29

Edited by Webmaster on 2009/7/17 6:40:13